Carribean and hurricanes?

Molliecollie

Hurricane season is simply the time of the year when conditions are most favorable for storms to develop - not a certainty that they will. The ships' Captains will do everything in their power to avoid storms for the safety of their ships, crew, and passengers. As pointed out above, the Hurricane season is half the cruising year and includes one of the busiest times with families cruising in the summer. I would not be overly concerned with booking a cruise in September.

As to which is best, that is very subjective. I would research the various ports of call on either itinerary being considered to determine that which most appeals to you.

Yuppa - Hurricane season is half the year but it does peak in September. We have cruised the Caribbean several times in September and never had any issues - just make sure you have travel insurance (should anyway)

Hurricanes are unpredictable, so I certainly wouldn't recommend picking a cruise based on the probability of a hurricane. Select a cruise line and itinerary that meets your preferences.

Looking at the big picture, only a tiny percentage of cruises are impacted by hurricanes and some that are impacted only miss a port.

we don't cruise between May and November mostly for the hurricane reasons.

We did cruise in April a couple of times, and the last time (2016) we got rain, rain and more rain. No fun.

Wow. That to me is missing out on a lot of opportunities to cruise! For the slim risk of any storm impacting any given itinerary during hurricane season that seems to be a lot of over caution.

BTW, May is not hurricane season - it starts in June and runs through November. And if you have cruised or plan to cruise in November as your signature indicates, then you are cruising during hurricane season. :confused:

And April would tend to be more chances of rain IMO as you experienced.....:)

we don't cruise between May and November mostly for the hurricane reasons.

We did cruise in April a couple of times, and the last time (2016) we got rain, rain and more rain. No fun.

Wow, how sad, so many missed opportunities. The percentage of cruises impacted by Tropical Revolving Storms (TRS) are negligible. They get lots of media reports in the Caribbean, but many area of the world experience similar storms that get no media coverage. TRS (hurricanes) occur throughout the world in the lower latitudes, and in Southern Hemisphere they are called Cyclones.

We experienced a TRS between India & Dubai on our World Cruise and the Captain came over the PA about midnight to advise that the "eye" had changed course and he was altering to avoid it, and we could expect a little movement. We got rather close, but the only impact was 2 hrs late arrival in Dubai. Even DW, who has severe motion sickness wasn't bothered.

As a professional mariner working on cruise ships or commanding Ro/Pax for 40 years, we are well trained in Meteorology and know how to avoid the dangerous quadrants (sectors) of TRS. In current times, the Captain also receives extensive weather routing from professional routing services. The chances of a cruise ship being severely impacted by a TRS are extremely low.

I can only hope the poster quoted above does not select cruises down the US East Coast in winter, as in the past few years, the news media have reported chaos on a number of sailings due to weather, which were just regular depressions (winter storms). I have crossed both Atlantic & Pacific Oceans in winter too many times, and frequently they are not fun. On one crossing of the Pacific, when "Hove to" due to extreme winter weather, we lost over 30 miles in 2 days.

In many years at sea, I have experienced many more issues with winter storms than TRS's, so from an informed perspective, I have no idea why the poster quoted above doesn't cruise between May & November, due to hurricanes.

I can only assume they are uninformed.

I had to look it up. 9 times in the Caribbean during hurricane season. Never had a problem (once in the Med - oh my!!). I have lived in Florida for two years and experience two hurricanes. Go figure. I better go to Vermont!!

Jim

Traveled last Sept when the area was having all the storms

The Ship left on time

They kept changing ports to stay away from the storms

Safety was the main concern & everything went great

The major thing to worry about during hurricane season is that a storm will affect the port where you embark and disembark. We sailed on a Princess cruise during Hurricane Bertha in 2014. We missed going to Princess Cays in the Bahamas due to the storm. We had a day at sea instead. It was beautiful and sunny. We'd never have known there was a hurricane forming just a couple hundred miles away.

The biggest issue with hurricanes and cruising has to do with ports. Especially when the departure/return port are hit.

Otherwise, the ships modify their itineraries to stay away from the storms.

The biggest issue with hurricanes and cruising has to do with ports. Especially when the departure/return port are hit.

Otherwise, the ships modify their itineraries to stay away from the storms.

... and ports are the most dangerous place for a ship in a hurricane. Captains will always put to sea ahead of the storm and cruise away from it as much as possible as that is the safest place for ships to be. Unless it is impossible to safely leave, a Captain will never want to remain in port with his ship during a hurricane.

Make sure you get insurance, and not from the cruise line.

Your biggest problem will be getting to the port if the hurricane is headed that way. Airports close down way quicker than ports do. The cruise line doesn’t cancel the cruise just because the airport is closed, so you can be left figuring out how to get there if you are supposed to fly in. If the cruise isn’t canceled, your insurance won’t pay even if you couldn’t get to the port. But if you do manage to make it to port, and the cruise ends up being delayed or canceled, you’ll be able to claim on your insurance for all the costs of being stuck where you are. If your cruise is delayed coming back in with you on it, you will have extra expenses for parking, flight changes etc - again, insurance will cover those.

Make sure you get insurance, and not from the cruise line.

Your biggest problem will be getting to the port if the hurricane is headed that way. Airports close down way quicker than ports do. The cruise line doesn’t cancel the cruise just because the airport is closed, so you can be left figuring out how to get there if you are supposed to fly in. If the cruise isn’t canceled, your insurance won’t pay even if you couldn’t get to the port. But if you do manage to make it to port, and the cruise ends up being delayed or canceled, you’ll be able to claim on your insurance for all the costs of being stuck where you are. If your cruise is delayed coming back in with you on it, you will have extra expenses for parking, flight changes etc - again, insurance will cover those.

What insurance company do you use?