What size luggage do you bring?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:17 AM.
10 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
I am going on my first cruise in 2 weeks, and I've decided I would like to buy some quality luggage for the trip.

Problem is, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the different sizes, specifically for checked luggage. I'm looking at hard case for now, and for example, Samsonite seems to mostly be sticking to 24" and 28" for the pieces I looked at - the former seemed too small when I looked at it in the store, and 28" seemed too big.

What are your personal preferences with luggage sizes? Does one piece typically take just your, or multiple people's, belongings? (I'm cruising with my boyfriend.) What if you bring snorkel equipment? (For right now we're thinking just masks and snorkels but that could expand in the future.) Do you fly with it?

We will be flying. We're flying Southwest so get 2 checked bags for "free" but don't want to overpack.
Brisbane, Australia
774 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Think about carting it to the airport, through the airport, to the ship etc. I have downgraded dramatically since I have to lug my own luggage. Buy what you can easily manage on your own and then tailor what you take to suit your lugggage. Maybe take snorkelling gear in a backpack as carry On? Enjoy your cruise, it's not a fashion statement so you really don't need that much.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2006, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2007, Celebrity Summit, Alaska
2008 P&O, Pacific Sun, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
2008 Celebrity Millenium New Zealand
2009 Dawn Princess, Sydney to Southampton
2010 Pacific Dawn - North Queensland
2010 Pacific Sun - comedy cruise
2010 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
2011 Celebrity Infinity - South America & Antarctica
2011 P&O Sun, Fremantle to Sydney
2012 Pacific Dawn - South Pacific
2013 Diamond Princess, Beijing to Bangkok
2013 Pacific Pearl South Pacific
2014 MSC Orchestra and Preziosa - Mediterranean
2014 Sea Princess - Papua New Guinea
2015 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South East Asia
2015 Victoria Lianna - Yangtze River Cruise
2015 Diamond Princess Japanese Cruise
2016 Regal Princess - Baltics
2017 Voyager of the Seas - Hong Kong to Singapore
2018 CMV Columbus - Singapore to London
Toronto, Canada
4,091 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I pack just for myself, and how much I pack is so dependent not just on how long I'll be gone, but what kind of climate ranges I'm packing for. I have a 30" rolling duffle, a 28" rolling soft-side suitcase, a 22" spinner hard side, and a 21" rolling duffle (which holds more than the 22" spinner). I usually use whichever one fits what I need (usually either the 28" or the 21"), but I have combined the 30" and the 21" for a 3 week combo cruise and road trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USA
4,446 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Our trips are always long so we take large luggage, 29"-30". Personal preference is soft side.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite

2013-2017, 271 nights at sea
and counting
Celebrity Constellation June & July 2017
DIY Turkey July 2017

Queen Mary 2 TA July 2017
RC Explorer Of The Seas April 2019 (23 nights)

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Ottawa area, Canada
3,781 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
A fully packed large 29 or 30 inch suitcase will be too heavy to take on a flight. I find the 24/26 when full is just about at the 50 lb mark.

If you aren't flying, you can use what ever size will hold all your stuff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[email protected] Please put Cruise Critic in subject line.
25/2/18 Koningsdam-10 days,18/2/18 Koningsdam-7days, 25/11/17 Nieuw Amsterdam-7days, 19/2/17 Nieuw Amsterdam-14 days, 31/1/16 Eurodam-14 days, 24/1/15 Westerdam-7 days,
7/2/14 Noordam-21 days, 10/2/13 Nieuw Amsterdam-14 days, 29/1/12 Nieuw Amsterdam-14 days, 30/1/11 Nieuw Amsterdam-14 days, 24/1/10 Noordam-20 days, 9/2/09 Galaxy-10 days, 15/3/08 Zuiderdam-18 days,
23/2/07 Galaxy-10 days, 1/2/06 Volendam-10 days, 10/3/05 Maasdam-10 days, 1/2/03 Zaandam-7 days, 14/6/52 Leerdam
southern NM desert
11,495 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I agree that 24" is too small and 28" is too big. That is why we use a 26" bag to check with clothes for both of us in it. We also each have an 18" backpack as a carryon. It has a change of clothes, medication, and any valuables such as ipad and camera.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal
Our third transit through the Canal.

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Bellingham WA
597 Posts
Joined May 2013
For trips of 3 -4 days, we each take a carry on and a small under the seat bag. For longer trips, my DH and I share a hard sided 28" along with our carry on and under the seat. We do bring snorkel equipment. Our fins are oldies but goodies and quite long. The equipment takes up about 1/3 of the large case. We are considering alternatives to the snorkel equipment, such as leaving fins at home or shipping them ahead of time to the hotel.

Try ebags. They warranty their own brand. Good stuff
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5/20/17 - Star Princess - Alaska
3/12/17 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/1/2016 - Crown Princess - LA to Ensenada
9/18/2016 - Ruby Princess - SEA to VAN
9/14/2016 - Island Princess - Van to SF
5/20/2016 -Crown Princess - Coastal
5/7/2016 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
2/7/2016 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/15/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
09/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
05/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
04/29/2015 Ruby Princess - Alaska
05/2014 - HAL - Coastal
05/15/2013 NCL Jewel - Coastal
2011 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2010 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2009 - Golden Princess - Coastal
2007 - Golden Princess(?) - Coastal
12/2002 - RCL Vision of the Seas - Mexico
1997 - Carnival Ecstacy - Mexico
2/1993 - Carnival - Mexico
4/1984 - Carnival - Mexico
6/1983 - NLC - East Carib
Point Richmond CA
4,649 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
OP: next time you're in an airport, check out what the airline crews are pulling behind them: two-wheeled Travelpro carry-ons (approx 20"). Skip the spinners on other brands- they will eventually be broken off by baggage handling. For extended trips, use a carry-on of the smallest Travelpro roller and a 28" checked bag -which, loaded, will weigh in between 45-50 lbs.
These items are not cheap. But the better models are guaranteed for life with repair facilities in most major hub cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Here I am
3,320 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
22" each, and a carry-on each. I don't mind a quick laundry in the sink, use ship shampoo for this, and bring my own for hair.
Canada
783 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
For trips under a week, we each take a 21 inch, plus a small backpack for carry-on. Longer trips, I've got a 26 inch expandable softsider that works very well. I can get everything I need in it, and have never had to worry about being over weight. DH uses a 24 inch soft sider. If flying, we also each bring a small backpack.
3,692 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I tend to travel long trips too. Have a maybe 20 yr. old Samsonite wheelie carryon; only wear only is worn pipings. But I mainly use a large EagleCreek load something. Buy your bags online. Look up discount luggage. Avoid black if you dont want it taken by others with same bag.
Virginia
1,080 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I just bought new luggage for my family. I did a LOT of researching and looking at reviews. For the money this is what we purchased. It's a very nice set and looks like it'll be large enough for all 4 of us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
The largest suitcase is 30X18X12 (12 is expandable) and the smallest suitcase is 22X15X9 (9 is expandable).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CA
22 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
At the store and see what you are comfortable with. Are you travelering before the cruise? We always take one 22" carry on each and a small personal bag for under the seat that's not a backpack. We don't like spinners because we travel before and after our cruise and they don't do well on rough roads and sidewalks. But if you are just going on a cruise the spinners might be for you. We just take one snorkel and share as one person usually stays on the beach with stuff. We swear by one carry on each and I can use cubes and pack 15 mix and match outfits but this is after years of trial and error. So I'm guessing you should get something bigger.
USA
4,446 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by OVgirl
A fully packed large 29 or 30 inch suitcase will be too heavy to take on a flight. I find the 24/26 when full is just about at the 50 lb mark.

If you aren't flying, you can use what ever size will hold all your stuff.

We have to fly to catch every ship, and never have a problem with our luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite

2013-2017, 271 nights at sea
and counting
Celebrity Constellation June & July 2017
DIY Turkey July 2017

Queen Mary 2 TA July 2017
RC Explorer Of The Seas April 2019 (23 nights)

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
What are you packing? Figure out your packing mindset. Some will pack for any contingency, others won't bring anything extra.

Figure out your toiletries. Do you need to bring full size items? Can you share anything with your travel partner. Can either pack to the size of your case or only bring what'll fit into your case.

Here's a thread from the Fashion and Beauty board. It's about packing lighter, but it has good ideas even for those who pack 'heavy'.
Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379281

I've been traveling almost all my life. Packing is an art, not a science. What works one trip might not work for the next. What works for one might not work for another. Sis swears by SpaceBags, I swear AT Space bags. lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Exactly where I want to be
6,991 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
For most trips, I do my 22" bag, of which I have many choices (wheeled, no wheels, pack straps, no pack straps). If I am going somewhere I know I am going to make some clothing or shoe purchases (hello Florence!) or I am going for 2 weeks to a winter sports destination or a month-long business trip where I have to dress in suits every single day for 8 hours, I'll bring out my Osprey Sojourn convertible wheelie (it also has pack straps). It is 25x14x14, so it isn't all that much bigger. I am able to lift it into the overheads of trains, haul up flights of stairs in apartments and hotels without lifts, and if I need to, put it on my back to go over unwheelable terrain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Every trip is different, and I am different on every trip."
My opinion is my own and not reflective of any company I may work for who may or may not have a presence on this website.
Avatar photo: taken by me from my hot air balloon on the Masai Mara
107,550 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
We always have pre cruise hotels and post cruise hotels and the shortest cruise we will do is 14 days.

We take four 28 inch soft sided, spinner wheel suitcases. Each weighs about 45 pounds when packed. Even our carry-ons have the spinner wheels.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,655 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
DW loves to over pack and sometimes I feel like we're the Hockley's boarding the Titanic. Usually bring two carry-ons, a 28" bag and a garment bag on wheels. Before our next trip we need to find a wheeled garment bag with spinners, the unidirectional wheels are phooey.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Western Washington
5,024 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
All depends on where we are going and where we are leaving from. For 14+ nt Transatlantics we each check a 30" (generally fly Alaska and get one free) and take as large a carry-on as we can get away with - and check the carry-on free at the gate if they offer. All the critical stuff (meds, valuable, electronics) are in our "personal" item backpacks.

For tropical type cruise from Miami (or FLL) we would downsize the big bag and pack lighter. One time we had the brilliant idea to pick up toiletries in Miami and paid a fortune - way more than an extra bag fee. Not so brilliant. But for 7nt warm weather cruise we can mix/match and re-wear and travel with minimal luggage.

For upcoming cruise from Seattle we will probably take everything since no air is involved. Pack for every weather contingency as well as some formal items.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL - Oosterdam - June 11, 2017, Alaska
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - May 2012 - TA Miami to Rome
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas February 12, 2011 - So. Caribbean
RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas- April 13, 2008 TA Miami to London
HAL - Veendam - June 16, 2002, Alaska
At the moment I have half a mind to go look for the rest