Behavior Issues

Yep, have to agree. Just read a review of a traveler who booked an Owner's suite on the Escape and gave the experience 4 out of 5 stars due to the behavior of the children in the Haven pool area. Not fair to rate NCL on things they cannot control. Case in point, we sailed on Epic last November. It was the first cruise after repositioning from the Med. Customs took an extra long time clearing the ship which significantly delayed embarkation. It was a complete mess and really upset day one of the cruise...not to mention the domino effect of leaving port almost 4 hours late. Anyhow, it was completely outside the control of NCL and would have been very unfair of me to mark them down for it.

I DO think that the cruise lines can talk to the parents of the unruly kids though - they just choose not to get involved because they don't want to upset paying customers. There has been MANY a post about unruly kid behavior and general rule-breaking where posters have spoken to cruise line staff repeatedly about the behavior, only to have no resolution. I expect the cruise staff to enforce their own conduct rules. Failure to do so would result in a mark as a negative on my review.

People who have unruly kids like to excuse unruly kid behavior, using "vacation" as an excuse and saying that "People shouldn't cruise during kid-heavy weeks if they don't want to deal with kids." I have kids and have somehow raised them to behave politely and respectfully at home, school and on vacation. If I can do it, it stands to reason that others should be able to do the same.

I've only been totally annoyed by kids one time in all our cruises. A group of 6 or 7 boys who appeared to be in the 13-year old range were sitting at a table in the buffet by themselves. Every other word was the F-word or some variation thereof and they were bragging to each other about "getting lucky." At first I was incensed, then I started thinking about how sad it was.

Hmmm, over Christmas Holidays, I'd expect Mayhem, you know what Santa can be like? ;p

As I am sitting in the specialty restaurant on Christmas and New Year's Eve, i can picture an 8 year old, running around the restaurant screaming. :(

LOL

As I am sitting in the specialty restaurant on Christmas and New Year's Eve, i can picture an 8 year old, running around the restaurant screaming. :(

LOL

I doubt it'll be that bad. My late DH and I cruised over NYE 2016/17 on MSC Divina and had wonderful time. Lots of kids but so well behaved it was great. They put on a little show near the end of the cruise, so cute.

Hope you have a fun time.

I would just shrug it off if a kid jumped in line in front of me to get an ice cream and would attribute it to excitement and possibly not paying attention that there were others waiting. Except...JamieLogical mentioned that he turned around after getting his ice cream and stared at her for a good 20 seconds while eating his ice cream and intentionally blocking the machine from her. Sounds like a taunt to me and wouldn't have gone over well with me at all. Youthful exuberance is one thing; intentionally being nasty is quite another.

Perhaps it was "youthful exuberance" as you mentioned. "Jamie" does say that the stare and, lick episode was after she confronted the kid about cutting the line. Perhaps they didn't realize what they had done and weren't sure how to react when confronted ( I am not in any way saying that the offence should not have been pointed out).

We just went on our first cruise. Getaway 5/27/18 - 6/02/18 and based on what have read on Cruise Critic i thought there would be unruly kids all over the ship. I am happy to report there were not. Unruly adults, yes, but it we are used to that.

our new years sail was fairly kid free. the key is making sure the cruise sails several days past January 2, wehn most schools go back in session.

there were 3 families with children that we encountered regularly; two were european and one was home schooled. generally, those groups are the best behaved. we thoroughly enjoyed the homeschool family, and hearing about their adventures and life.

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t think it’s an excuse to get away with bad behavior but more of a result from massive overcrowding. If you want something you have to push your way to get it.

That being said, I have never seen any unruly kids on board. I. Sure they are there but they are not my problem, so I guess I never noticed them.

I have however had an Asian woman cut in under my arm at the buffet and grab the spoon seconds before me. I was shocked to see someone do this. So I held my empty plate up in her face and blocked her view. I think I scared her because she scuttled back around me ran out of there fast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

:eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I don’t think it’s an excuse to get away with bad behavior but more of a result from massive overcrowding. If you want something you have to push your way to get it.

That being said, I have never seen any unruly kids on board. I. Sure they are there but they are not my problem, so I guess I never noticed them.

I have however had an Asian woman cut in under my arm at the buffet and grab the spoon seconds before me. I was shocked to see someone do this. So I held my empty plate up in her face and blocked her view. I think I scared her because she scuttled back around me ran out of there fast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Racist comment.

What does being women who is Asian have anything to do with her going around you to grab a spoon?

It was rude of you to put an empty plate up in her face. Do that to the wrong person, and you might find yourself with a broken nose or worse.

Racist comment.

What does being women who is Asian have anything to do with her going around you to grab a spoon?

It was rude of you to put an empty plate up in her face. Do that to the wrong person, and you might find yourself with a broken nose or worse.

I totally agree. People say that they aren't bigots, but when they describe people by race, skin color, etc, they are actually saying that they are better than that person. They don't realize that or maybe they do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

:eek:

No you don't. You can practice a little patience and wait your turn like everyone else.

Racist comment.

I fail to see anything racist about it at all. He simply stated a fact. He did not say not did he imply that the fact she was Asian was why she did what she did. You might be inferring that but that is on you.

I agree that the plate thing was uncalled for, but if he were to end up with a broken nose (or worse), the other person would be facing assault charges if not more.

I fail to see anything racist about it at all. He simply stated a fact. He did not say not did he imply that the fact she was Asian was why she did what she did. You might be inferring that but that is on you.

I agree that the plate thing was uncalled for, but if he were to end up with a broken nose (or worse), the other person would be facing assault charges if not more.

Was there *any* reason to mention race/nationality/ethnicity?

Was any information added?

If not, then given it was a negative comment to begin with - which was appropriate given the topic - then it *was* racist - which was NOT appropriate at all.

Change it to "there was a woman in a cotton sweater who...." and it becomes silly.

There's no reason to mention the clothing item or the type of fabric.

But there WAS a "reason" why the other person mentioned the race/ethnicity/nationality, *precisely* because that person was trying to, um, "communicate something".

GC

It's well known that SOME Chinese tourists have bad manners. Even their own government admits this to be true. Poster said Asian. So is that Chinese or another nationality? We don't know.

For the sake of argument (ugh, who isn't up for some argument, these days !??!:eek:), let's say there is a group of X people, ALL of whom are discourteous.

Even then, why say "there was an X person who ...."?

The point is NOT the "ethnicity" of the person, but the BEHAVIOR.

So describe the behavior, which was done, but don't add other personal details that simply are not relevant, that do NOT add any additional explanatory information...

... unless the person writing "Asian" did think it was "important" to add...but for what reason...??

GC

We were parents who were very demanding of our kids. Now not every child can comply with these standards but ours could and did. We once arrived night at a hotel with just a very fancy restaurant. The girls were 5 and 7. When we stepped up to the line the host said that this was an “adult restaurant“ and maybe we should order room service. We told him our kids were well behaved and we were promised to leave if there is any issue they could just ask us if we would go right away. The girls were their usual well behaved selves and they ordered their favorites including calamari and splitting an order of branzino. The chef came out later and said he wanted to meet the “little ladies who love calamari and branzino”. He had made bread shaped swans for them.

When we were in the Haven there was one couple with a toddler who was screaming and running around in the restaurant . Several people asked to be moved away from the family and they must have gotten the message because I never saw them in there again. Another family had young kids but they sat quietly talking to their parents and were so polite when asking things of the servers. DH and I complimented the parents on how well behaved the kids were.

I just read a review that someone was complaining that there was noise up above all the time and they couldn't sleep. They were below splash academy. Read the deck plans!

For those not yet used to reading the Deck Plans (available right on NCL's website), make sure that when comparing "above and below" on different decks to orient with respect to a *staircase/elevator* area.

Some decks are shorter than others, so "looking at the very back" (for example) of two different decks might *not* align things vertically properly, etc.

We always try to find a cabin/suite with other cabin/suites on ether side and also above and below; we also try to avoid interior connecting cabins.

IF we can't find the right vertical location, we look for something relatively quiet or at the least with restricted hours. For example, being under a spa area... choose the massage rooms, not the exercise room!

GC

For those not yet used to reading the Deck Plans (available right on NCL's website), make sure that when comparing "above and below" on different decks to orient with respect to a *staircase/elevator* area.

Some decks are shorter than others, so "looking at the very back" (for example) of two different decks might *not* align things vertically properly, etc.

We always try to find a cabin/suite with other cabin/suites on ether side and also above and below; we also try to avoid interior connecting cabins.

IF we can't find the right vertical location, we look for something relatively quiet or at the least with restricted hours. For example, being under a spa area... choose the massage rooms, not the exercise room!

Very good point! I look at the elevator banks to orient myself.