Behavior Issues

One thing on the ice cream story, though the turning and glaring might negate this thought, is that when traveling internationally, it helps to be aware that not all cultures understand or respect the concept of queuing on line. Yes it is annoying, but if someone has grown up in a culture where pushing and shoving to the front is the norm, it's probably not realistic to expect them to suddenly get it on a ship. If you want to read endless examples google Brazilian teenagers at Disney.

Or go on a cruise where there's a large Asian group. I've learned "when in Rome, do as the Romans".

But, it's really true about the cultural thing. I live in NYC. When entering the subway or elevator you generally keep to the right and those getting off keep to their right. It makes traffic flow. On "an early cruise", years ago, I got on an elevator (my way) and someone said "Oh, I can tell we're in NY now". At that time I had no idea this was not the universal way to do things. If I let everyone off before I got on I'd end up with doors slamming on my face and being left at the platform.

Edited by April42749

But, it's really true about the cultural thing. I live in NYC. When entering the subway or elevator you generally keep to the right and those getting off keep to their right. It makes traffic flow. On "an early cruise", years ago, I got on an elevator (my way) and someone said "Oh, I can tell we're in NY now". At that time I had no idea this was not the universal way to do things. If I let everyone off before I got on I'd end up with doors slamming on my face and being left at the platform.

Fascinating! I haven't been to NYC. Here in Vancouver on our public transit, we let everyone off before we get on. In fact at some of the busier stations at rush hour, they cordon off an area in front of the doors so that those waiting to get on don't stand directly in front of the doors blocking people getting out. Perhaps it's not helped by the fact that people getting out definitely don't do so in an orderly way.

Or go on a cruise where there's a large Asian group. I've learned "when in Rome, do as the Romans".

I like your way. Seems logical.

Summer travel anywhere, regardless of whether it is land or sea is always bound to be child intensive. As an educator summer and those winter and spring vacations are the only times I can travel and so although my own children are now adults I know that I will be around many! I do think that parents can and should supervise them more carefully--that is part of being a parent. The beauty of being on a cruise with kids is that they really can't go far, but that doesn't mean that they can't get themselves in trouble. I will also say that last summer we were on the Breakaway to Bermuda, and were fortunate enough to get a bid on a Haven room. That made a big difference because I think my husband would have lost it if we didn't have that piece of solitude. But even in the Haven some of the kids ran amok. By the end of the cruise several people did complain and the parents were addressed. Let's also keep in mind that this bad behavior is also common with some adults, particularly with the abundance of adult beverages. Travel means being flexible!

On the end of cruise forms people who are unhappy with dealing with kids behavior should tell ncl to keep their kids clubs open longer. Right now, they close for 2hours from 12-2 and 5-7 on sea days for lunch and dinner. If they closed for one hour each, that would be two less hours that kids are running around unsupervised or barely supervised (I’m assuming parents who don’t want to watch their kids leave them in the kids club as long as possible).

And ye, I agree the parents should supervise their kids, but with some families that’s not a realistic goal unfortunately. So the kids clubs being open will minimize the disturbance.

Sorry I confused people with my comment above. I was a teacher in the NYC schools, and there were families who would come to the parent teacher conferences to apologize for their children's behavior, and tell me that they were sorry that they couldn't help because they couldn't control their children. And other families would simply deny that their child could ever be causing problems/cheating. And with families like that, you couldn't expect help from home in dealing with the children's behavior. Similarly, there are going to be parents (a small minority) who chose to not discipline their kids on vacation. And as a fellow passenger, its hard to correct those passengers. Instead of putting fellow passengers, or staff working for tips in the unenviable position of trying to teach these parents common sense, it would be a lot easier to open the kids club for more hours. And if the kids club is open, hopefully parents who don't want to discipline their children will leave their children in it so they aren't disturbing the rest of the ship.

I would have hip checked the kid out of the way and then proceeded to get my ice cream.

You have to use your peripheral vision and bump the kid without looking at him. "Sorry, I didn't see you....the line is back there..." added for good measure.

If anyone complains that you bumped their kid, just explain that you weren't expecting anyone to jump in front of everyone and expect people to act properly....while you enjoy your ice cream. :cool:

Sorry I confused people with my comment above. I was a teacher in the NYC schools, and there were families who would come to the parent teacher conferences to apologize for their children's behavior, and tell me that they were sorry that they couldn't help because they couldn't control their children. And other families would simply deny that their child could ever be causing problems/cheating. And with families like that, you couldn't expect help from home in dealing with the children's behavior. Similarly, there are going to be parents (a small minority) who chose to not discipline their kids on vacation. And as a fellow passenger, its hard to correct those passengers. Instead of putting fellow passengers, or staff working for tips in the unenviable position of trying to teach these parents common sense, it would be a lot easier to open the kids club for more hours. And if the kids club is open, hopefully parents who don't want to discipline their children will leave their children in it so they aren't disturbing the rest of the ship.

From your lips..... it's unbelievable anymore.

My son is a police officer and responded to a call one morning, the SEVEN year old refused to go to school, you can't make this stuff up.

I have to say the inverse is true also. My wife and I decided not to have children. It was a choice. Sometimes I just marvel when I see a young couple with three or four children and they are well behaved and respectful.

I have to say the inverse is true also. My wife and I decided not to have children. It was a choice. Sometimes I just marvel when I see a young couple with three or four children and they are well behaved and respectful.

I marvel at my sister and her 4 kids, the two oldest of which both won the "kindness award" from their respective teacher's this year (only awarded to one boy and one girl in each class) as well as academic achievement awards. I am in awe of people who can manage to raise such fine kids. I personally am a selfish bastard and know that had I had kids, they probably would have been THE WORST! Difference is, I recognized that in myself BEFORE having children. Some people fail to do so.

I call these kids "the gifted kids" since an NCL cruise is more educational than the classroom. The parents teach them that rules don't count, not for them, anyway. So, why not cut to the front of the line....they're very special.

Ha, Ha! We call drivers who must rush around you only to have to stop right in front of you at the light you were anticipating "VIP"s. (You know the type and there are a myriad of similar situations.) One day one my daughter finally asked her Dad what VIP stood for.....and he replied, "Idiot". ;)

I travel with my young kids and If it were my kid jumping in front of the line, I’d tell him to wait his turn.

On the end of cruise forms people who are unhappy with dealing with kids behavior should tell ncl to keep their kids clubs open longer. Right now, they close for 2hours from 12-2 and 5-7 on sea days for lunch and dinner. If they closed for one hour each, that would be two less hours that kids are running around unsupervised or barely supervised (I’m assuming parents who don’t want to watch their kids leave them in the kids club as long as possible).

And ye, I agree the parents should supervise their kids, but with some families that’s not a realistic goal unfortunately. So the kids clubs being open will minimize the disturbance.

I guess that the kids club staff need breaks from the "Little Darlings."

I used to be quick to judge bad behavior in kids, then I became friends with a young man who has a boy who is 7 and one who is 5. The 5 y/ o has Autheism. If he is in public, he is scared of loud noises, sudden movements, etc and will scream bloody murder. He of course cannot help it, but my friend hears people around him saying that he needs to control his child. He knows that people are ignorant of his child's condition and doesn't hold those remarks to heart. But I will say that kids that go unsupervised in public and act up, that's another thing.

I used to be quick to judge bad behavior in kids, then I became friends with a young man who has a boy who is 7 and one who is 5. The 5 y/ o has Autheism. If he is in public, he is scared of loud noises, sudden movements, etc and will scream bloody murder. He of course cannot help it, but my friend hears people around him saying that he needs to control his child. He knows that people are ignorant of his child's condition and doesn't hold those remarks to heart. But I will say that kids that go unsupervised in public and act up, that's another thing.

I was in line at the supermarket last week and there was a middle-aged man with a preteen boy in line behind me. This child was speaking very loud and was very close to me. But his speech seemed impaired to me, in fact I couldn't really understand what he was saying. I was not comfortable with how close he was standing to me (he was practically touching me) but I suspected that he was autistic or mentally disabled so I did not turn around or say anything. And when I heard the father trying to redirect and calm him, I knew my suspicions had been correct. My point is that I took a moment to assess the situation rather than rush to judgement. My decision not to react at all to the situation was, in fact, a way to consciously show to the father that I at least comprehended a bit of what he was dealing with. I can only imagine if someone else less understanding (or totally self-absorbed) had been in line in front of them, it might have gotten ugly. This is a way different situation than just an undisciplined child and I could tell that immediately.

I travel with my young kids and If it were my kid jumping in front of the line, I’d tell him to wait his turn.

I agree with keeping the clubs open longer. We are lucky to travel with a caregiver but even so the short kids clubs hours are disruptive to the kids. Just as they’re having fun they have to leave whether they’re hungry or not.

We are admittedly spoiled by Disney but won’t sail NCL again due to kids club and the crazy reservation/restaurant situation (and general the lack of service.)

We have high expectations for our kids (9,8,8) and were pretty appalled at the preteens running wild in the Haven while their parents chatted nearby and ignored them. There is nothing wrong with being annoyed by rude kids.

One thing on the ice cream story, though the turning and glaring might negate this thought, is that when traveling internationally, it helps to be aware that not all cultures understand or respect the concept of queuing on line. Yes it is annoying, but if someone has grown up in a culture where pushing and shoving to the front is the norm, it's probably not realistic to expect them to suddenly get it on a ship. If you want to read endless examples google Brazilian teenagers at Disney.

Not calling you out specifically, but I've heard this argument before and it always baffles me. What, culturally, compels any nationality to think that they have the entitlement to cut in front of others who clearly have been waiting for something longer than the line-cutter?? Can it be traced back to someone's ancestral chief who was allowed to cut in front of his/her subjects at any time? If there are indeed "cultures" who regularly practice line-cutting, how does anyone in that culture get anywhere? I'm picturing a big scrum of line-cutting at the movie theatre.

Many mainstream cruise lines are registered in the Bahamas and port in the US - if line-cutting is frowned upon in those two countries/cultures, then the burden should be on the traveler to research what is acceptable behavior when traveling there. Chewing gum in Singapore is illegal. Just because I may like to chew gum regularly in the U.S. doesn't give me the entitlement to chew it when I'm in Singapore.

I will never cease to be amazed when I read a review by "an experienced cruiser" that gives a poor review on a ship when the only thing that they really griped about in the review was the behavior of unattended children.

When you look at the time of the cruise it always seems to be when school is not in session.

If you really are an "experienced cruiser" you should know better than to cruise at these times. And, if you have children that have to go with you, suck it up, and realize that that is the way of the cruise world.

I agree with you to a point but keep in mind, even experienced cruisers do not always have an option. Teachers have to cruise when they are not working: spring break can vary for school district to school district so some of us forget just because spring break is over for our kids, it may not be for all kids. We are very seasoned cruisers and made that mistake a couple of springs ago. Add to this, places like Alaska are only available during late spring to late summer. Obviously if one chooses to cruise from June to Aug they also have to realize the ship will have lots of families cruising. The same with Thanksgiving week and Christmas time.:confused: Now for poor reviews based on kids running wild, that is a different story. It is simply up to parents, no one else to keep your kids in toe. Certainly I would not let a few bratty kids ruin my cruise. But they can play havic I agree. Mom, dad, remember the cute things you think your kids so, may not be cute to others. We have all seen to many misbehaved kids on vacation.

If there are indeed "cultures" who regularly practice line-cutting, how does anyone in that culture get anywhere? I'm picturing a big scrum of line-cutting at the movie theatre. <snip>.

I have no idea how it started, but indeed in many countries folks just push shove and jostle to be served. Sit back and wait your turn like we are used to and you will never get anywhere. I agree it’s maddening to someone who is accustomed to waiting their turn, but I expect they find our way just as odd.

I have no idea how it started, but indeed in many countries folks just push shove and jostle to be served. Sit back and wait your turn like we are used to and you will never get anywhere. I agree it’s maddening to someone who is accustomed to waiting their turn, but I expect they find our way just as odd.

It makes me wonder though, if it's just an excuse to get away with rude behavior? I've never heard a valid, anthropological explanation for the behavior. I can actually see pushing and jostling but not just outright jumping in front of someone like you have more of a right than they do to be at the front of the line. Maybe over centuries the jostling has morphed into outright line-cutting :confused: