Behavior Issues

As a school teacher I have to cruise during school vacations. I just ignore what I can. You can’t control the action of others but I can control how I react. I’ve seen adults behave very poorly with foul language and pushing in lines way my than kids. You just have to focus n the millions of great moments on a cruise and not the few seconds of bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It makes me wonder though, if it's just an excuse to get away with rude behavior? I've never heard a valid, anthropological explanation for the behavior. I can actually see pushing and jostling but not just outright jumping in front of someone like you have more of a right than they do to be at the front of the line. Maybe over centuries the jostling has morphed into outright line-cutting :confused:

Based on what I have seen during many (i.e., >50) trips to the theme park areas of central FL, it seems to be more of a socioeconomic thing than a cultural thing. Many of the people I have witnessed cutting in lines, complaining loudly about service, etc. appear very well-to-do. These people are most likely the top 0.1% of their country's populations and are used to being handled with the "red carpet" treatment in everything they do at home. Going into an atmosphere like a US theme park or on a mainline cruise ship mixes them with us "normal" people from countries like the US, Canada, England, etc., where they are no longer the "elite" and are treated as (God forbid) equals with the masses.

I will never cease to be amazed when I read a review by "an experienced cruiser" that gives a poor review on a ship when the only thing that they really griped about in the review was the behavior of unattended children.

When you look at the time of the cruise it always seems to be when school is not in session.

If you really are an "experienced cruiser" you should know better than to cruise at these times. And, if you have children that have to go with you, suck it up, and realize that that is the way of the cruise world.

The kids can make or break a cruise. I was on the indy and there was nearly a murder onboard I kid you not no pun intend. There was one teenager (english) saying really rude things to girls lots of complaints against him but nothing got done and it got to the stage on the last night a couple of people were ready to throw him over the side of the ship.

They need to crack down on the kids particularly the english kids who have no respect and remorse if they hurt or kill someone.

Based on what I have seen during many (i.e., >50) trips to the theme park areas of central FL, it seems to be more of a socioeconomic thing than a cultural thing. Many of the people I have witnessed cutting in lines, complaining loudly about service, etc. appear very well-to-do. These people are most likely the top 0.1% of their country's populations and are used to being handled with the "red carpet" treatment in everything they do at home. Going into an atmosphere like a US theme park or on a mainline cruise ship mixes them with us "normal" people from countries like the US, Canada, England, etc., where they are no longer the "elite" and are treated as (God forbid) equals with the masses.

You will see it here occasionally when someone staying in the Haven will complain that there might be a particular situation in which they don't get special treatment. The sense of entitlement would be astounding if it weren't so common.

I keep saying to myself that i won't keep opening this thread and reading the comments, but I keep doing it.

It's all a little silly to me.

I've been on over a dozen cruises, been to Disney a dozen or so times, Universal and other family vacations too.

I've seen a wide variety of behavior and not once did I allow it to negatively impact my vacation.

I've seen kids and parents behave poorly. Maybe others have looked at me and my family and thought we behaved poorly.

It kind of comes with the territory on FAMILY VACATION.

I do know that we each own our vacations and can make of them what we want. I've enjoyed all of mine as I'm sure many of you have.

It sounds like some have had to deal with some extraordinary behavior and that's too bad but there are alternatives.

There are adult only vacation spots and cruises where the amount of children would be drastically less. You would probably still witness some incredibly bad behavior there too.

Anyway, I wish that everyone has the best vacation ever. I'm leaving on the Escape this Sunday and I already know 3 things.

There will be tons of children. There will be kids and adults that will behave poorly (I'm going to really try and not be one of those).

And...................................I will have the best time!!!!!

Good luck to all.

I keep saying to myself that i won't keep opening this thread and reading the comments, but I keep doing it.

It's all a little silly to me.

I've been on over a dozen cruises, been to Disney a dozen or so times, Universal and other family vacations too.

I've seen a wide variety of behavior and not once did I allow it to negatively impact my vacation.

I've seen kids and parents behave poorly. Maybe others have looked at me and my family and thought we behaved poorly.

It kind of comes with the territory on FAMILY VACATION.

I do know that we each own our vacations and can make of them what we want. I've enjoyed all of mine as I'm sure many of you have.

It sounds like some have had to deal with some extraordinary behavior and that's too bad but there are alternatives.

There are adult only vacation spots and cruises where the amount of children would be drastically less. You would probably still witness some incredibly bad behavior there too.

Anyway, I wish that everyone has the best vacation ever. I'm leaving on the Escape this Sunday and I already know 3 things.

There will be tons of children. There will be kids and adults that will behave poorly (I'm going to really try and not be one of those).

And...................................I will have the best time!!!!!

Good luck to all.

Since you like children so much, maybe you can let the cruise line know that you'll babysit?

I didn't say that but thanks for the input. :confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::confused:

I think your message was that people should relax and not get worked up about things, including kids. I like kids if they're well behaved. If not, I get uptight. I don't want to hear kids screaming or see them running up and down hallways.

yes! and those unattended children are not the responsibility of NCL, nor is it NCL's job to parent them.

we are blessed to not have children so as you will see from my siggy we NEVER sail when school is out, with the exception of our very first NCL cruise where we learned our lesson never to sail when kids are out.

I was stunned when I read that phrasing about being "blessed to not have children." I mean, obviously, it is a good thing that you don't. But we have had such joy from our two sons and five grandchildren, that I just can't even picture someone not wanting children in their lives. Sure they are sometimes unbearable but so are most adults. It just really made me feel sad to read that.

Honestly given the world full of nasty behaviour over politics and chair hogging, I find kids to be enjoyable and fun to watch. If you smile at a kid they will a lot of times smile back. They have feelings too and can sense touchy adults.

Be nice and remember they are the future.

For the record I don't have kids. But they can be fun to watch

I was stunned when I read that phrasing about being "blessed to not have children." I mean, obviously, it is a good thing that you don't. But we have had such joy from our two sons and five grandchildren, that I just can't even picture someone not wanting children in their lives. Sure they are sometimes unbearable but so are most adults. It just really made me feel sad to read that.

Shockingly, people are different from one another. Not everyone needs/wants children to have a happy and fulfilling life. I am happy literally every single day. I wake up smiling. I think about how awesome it is to have the time and money to do the things I enjoy. I experience new and exciting things with my partner. I enjoy social activities with our friends. I get to live free from burden and obligation and it feels AMAZING. Every individual needs to identify what will help them live the best life they can, whatever their individual definition of "best" is. I am 100% living my best life.

I am 39 years old. A couple we are close to just had twins at the age of 37. I was thinking the other day that I am 16 years away from retirement (I can retire from my position at 55 with full benefits). Sixteen years from now, this couple will be teaching two teenagers how to drive and stressing about how to put them through college! They are very happy and I am happy for them, but that is NOT where I want to be in MY life sixteen years from now!

Shockingly, people are different from one another. Not everyone needs/wants children to have a happy and fulfilling life. I am happy literally every single day. I wake up smiling. I think about how awesome it is to have the time and money to do the things I enjoy. I experience new and exciting things with my partner. I enjoy social activities with our friends. I get to live free from burden and obligation and it feels AMAZING. Every individual needs to identify what will help them live the best life they can, whatever their individual definition of "best" is. I am 100% living my best life.

I am 39 years old. A couple we are close to just had twins at the age of 37. I was thinking the other day that I am 16 years away from retirement (I can retire from my position at 55 with full benefits). Sixteen years from now, this couple will be teaching two teenagers how to drive and stressing about how to put them through college! They are very happy and I am happy for them, but that is NOT where I want to be in MY life sixteen years from now!

(y). Bravo! Very glad you are happy with your life. So many people go through life with no idea how to be happy. You have found the secret for you!

its a blessing because it has allowed us to experience life to its fullest. we travel on amazing trips, we can spoil thoroughly our nieces and nephews, we will be able to retire at a young age (to do even more travel), we can sleep in whenever we want, we arent stuck sitting thru little league games on a gorgeous saturday when we could be at the beach, we have a modest but nice home that we can safely display treasures we've gathered, we can go out to dinner with friends or socialize at parties anytime we want without worry about sitters or staying home altogether because its the "responsible" thing to do. i also have a pretty amazing career that would have suffered or been non existent had i had children.

you should not feel sad. we are very, very happy. i dont doubt that your kids have brought you joy. for us, i feel a child would have brought me resentment. i see so many of our friends who can never go out, never travel, always worried about college expenses, etc. that's not what we wanted. being tied down is not for me.

its a blessing because it has allowed us to experience life to its fullest. we travel on amazing trips, we can spoil thoroughly our nieces and nephews, we will be able to retire at a young age (to do even more travel), we can sleep in whenever we want, we arent stuck sitting thru little league games on a gorgeous saturday when we could be at the beach, we have a modest but nice home that we can safely display treasures we've gathered, we can go out to dinner with friends or socialize at parties anytime we want without worry about sitters or staying home altogether because its the "responsible" thing to do. i also have a pretty amazing career that would have suffered or been non existent had i had children.

you should not feel sad. we are very, very happy. i dont doubt that your kids have brought you joy. for us, i feel a child would have brought me resentment. i see so many of our friends who can never go out, never travel, always worried about college expenses, etc. that's not what we wanted. being tied down is not for me.

Amen! Every single word of your post could have come out of my mouth!

Amen! Every single word of your post could have come out of my mouth!

its pretty common for us to be "pitied" for not having kids. its that whole "child free" vs "childless". its a choice for us, and one we couldnt be happier with.

its pretty common for us to be "pitied" for not having kids. its that whole "child free" vs "childless". its a choice for us, and one we couldnt be happier with.

I think we have a lot in common! I have sent you a friend request.

I think your message was that people should relax and not get worked up about things, including kids. I like kids if they're well behaved. If not, I get uptight. I don't want to hear kids screaming or see them running up and down hallways.

Ditto

It makes me wonder though, if it's just an excuse to get away with rude behavior? I've never heard a valid, anthropological explanation for the behavior. I can actually see pushing and jostling but not just outright jumping in front of someone like you have more of a right than they do to be at the front of the line. Maybe over centuries the jostling has morphed into outright line-cutting :confused:

I don’t think it’s an excuse to get away with bad behavior but more of a result from massive overcrowding. If you want something you have to push your way to get it.

That being said, I have never seen any unruly kids on board. I. Sure they are there but they are not my problem, so I guess I never noticed them.

I have however had an Asian woman cut in under my arm at the buffet and grab the spoon seconds before me. I was shocked to see someone do this. So I held my empty plate up in her face and blocked her view. I think I scared her because she scuttled back around me ran out of there fast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will never cease to be amazed when I read a review by "an experienced cruiser" that gives a poor review on a ship when the only thing that they really griped about in the review was the behavior of unattended children.

When you look at the time of the cruise it always seems to be when school is not in session.

If you really are an "experienced cruiser" you should know better than to cruise at these times. And, if you have children that have to go with you, suck it up, and realize that that is the way of the cruise world.

Yep, have to agree. Just read a review of a traveler who booked an Owner's suite on the Escape and gave the experience 4 out of 5 stars due to the behavior of the children in the Haven pool area. Not fair to rate NCL on things they cannot control. Case in point, we sailed on Epic last November. It was the first cruise after repositioning from the Med. Customs took an extra long time clearing the ship which significantly delayed embarkation. It was a complete mess and really upset day one of the cruise...not to mention the domino effect of leaving port almost 4 hours late. Anyhow, it was completely outside the control of NCL and would have been very unfair of me to mark them down for it.

yes! and those unattended children are not the responsibility of NCL, nor is it NCL's job to parent them.

Why isn't this NCL's problem? There is a Guest Conduct Policy on all of Norwegian's ships. It is quite extensive and even addresses the behavior of children and the possible consequences of not following said policy.

PARENTAL AND GUARDIAN RESPONSIBILITY For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A young adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19 or 20. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their minor(s) and young adult(s).

Tell me again how is it not NCL's responsibility to address or control rude and offensive behavior by unattended children? The problem starts with parents who state they are on vacation and feel that they are on vacation from their children as well.

I definitely agree with you there! I might get worked up about something immediately and in the moment, but it is LONG gone from my mind by the time I get back ashore. I am not keeping a running tally of all the "wrongs" I encountered on a trip. I am there to relax and enjoy myself. A minor blip might set me off for a few minutes, but then I either forget about it or it becomes a fun story to tell.

Like this time I was on the Escape and waiting in line for the soft serve ice cream at 10:30 at night. A 10-ish year old kid (might have been more like 8, i don't know) cut right in front of me and served himself an ice cream cone. I was like "hey I was waiting in line". He just turned to me and looked at me for a good 20 seconds eating the first few licks of his ice cream cone and blocking the machine. I was *livid*. I almost followed him back to his table so I could talk to his parents about his poor behavior. Then I realized that any parent bringing their kid on a cruise when school was in session (this was February) and letting them eat ice cream at 10:30 at night probably wasn't going to be shocked that he would cut in line. The damage was already done for this kid! But, it's a fun story now. I am always amused by how worked up I got for a good 5 minutes there!

Please do tell me, my daughter is 7, splash academy closes for the night at 10:30, we pick her up at 10:15 and head to the garden cafe for an ice cream snack before bed. It is our nightly cruise routine. We also cruise when school is in session as that is when we can afford to spend 2 and a half weeks exploring Europe. We are getting to the point where we would let her get ice cream by herself although watching from a distance but I would want to know if she was rude or violated the standards we have for her in regards to respect of the crew and fellow passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in line at the supermarket last week and there was a middle-aged man with a preteen boy in line behind me. This child was speaking very loud and was very close to me. But his speech seemed impaired to me, in fact I couldn't really understand what he was saying. I was not comfortable with how close he was standing to me (he was practically touching me) but I suspected that he was autistic or mentally disabled so I did not turn around or say anything. And when I heard the father trying to redirect and calm him, I knew my suspicions had been correct. My point is that I took a moment to assess the situation rather than rush to judgement. My decision not to react at all to the situation was, in fact, a way to consciously show to the father that I at least comprehended a bit of what he was dealing with. I can only imagine if someone else less understanding (or totally self-absorbed) had been in line in front of them, it might have gotten ugly. This is a way different situation than just an undisciplined child and I could tell that immediately.

I had a similar encounter on Epic at garden cafe a young man with headphones on was pacing the buffet and identified the foods he wanted, the parent was trying to calm him and respect the line, recognizing that the young man had specific needs I called his mom over to reach in front of me for the foods her son had identified. I received comments about allowing line jumping when I was assisting another mother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk