Colosseum advice please?

davewg59

I am on Silhouette soon and one of the excursions ive booked is Rome in a Day. The first stop is 1.5 hrs outside the Colosseum. Obv i dont want to queue on the day but does anyone know if i order tickets in advance whether i will have enough time to go in the Colosseum?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Buy a general admittance ticket and look for an audio tour, through Rick Steves or similar, or buy the audio tour that the Colosseum sells. I spent a few days in Rome before a med cruise last year, and did a guided, 3 hour tour of the colosseum and nearby roman forum. 1 hour audio tour would have been more than enough.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

We just did the colosseum today. We also did not want to wait in line. We ended up buying the Roma pass. You can buy it at any tourist office (there is one across street from colosseum entrance) or many news stands. It is 28 euro for 48 hours and gets you into colosseum and forum, and free use of all public transportation and discounts on other museums. Today there was a huge line and by having the Roma pass we skipped the line and entered through the group entrance. Skipping the line was worth it for us, as we otherwise would have waited more than an hour in the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just in Rome this May. There are numerous guide services outside of the Colosseum that will allow the group to "jump the line". They use a radio device to conduct the tour. Well worth doing particularly when you are pressed for time such as on a cruise.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:

For someone with a limited amount of time, it could be very difficult to get into the Colosseum, especially if your open time is in the morning. Rome is experiencing another year of record crowds.

You CAN purchase a ticket online in advance, for entry only or for a tour. However, even with ticket in hand, you still may experience a long wait to go through security. (No large bags or backpacks are allowed.)

Also, they have become strict about the number of people allowed inside at any one time not exceeding 3,000 -- which could lead to delays even with a prepaid entry. If you think 3,000 seems like a lot, consider that over 25,000 people visit the Vatican Museum daily during the peak season...

ALSO:

If your time at the Colosseum is scheduled for the morning, you cannot utilize an "open" prepaid ticket until after 2pm!!!! (That means any ticket without a timed entry -- i.e., any ticket that is for admission only and not for a tour.)

You can read the information on the official ticket site, coopculture.it. Link for the page with the info I posted immediately above is here: https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Colosseum is one of our "must see" attractions. We enjoyed our first visit so much that, when we returned to Rome, we booked the Underground and Third Tier tour.

If you just wander in and expect to be wowed, you'll probably be ready to exit in the 15 minutes or so it will take you to walk to the other end. Do yourself a huge favor and either rent an audio tour, or download the Rick Steves tour to your phone for free.

Don't miss it!

Buy a Rome Pass. We went to Rome once for the day from a cruise ship (we've been there before) and saw the Colesseum, the ruins around the Colesseum (Arch of Titus which shows the sacking of Jerusalem, etc.), the Via Veneto, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Vatican, etc. The bus from the cruise dropped us off and picked us up at the entrance to Vatican City. It will be a very hectic day.

You can buy a combo ticket for the Colosseum, Palatine hill and Forum. There is usually no queue at the Forum or Palatine Hill ticket office and the same ticket can then be used to skip the line at the Colosseum.
Best way to enter the Colosseum. We've done it that way a couple of times.

Again, a lot of posters are giving advice that is several years old, and things have recently changed.

Security line waits alone can be 30-45 minutes, even with a pre-purchased ticket.

If you prepurchase a ticket online, make sure it is a TIMED ticket if you want to enter the Colosseum in the morning. If you miss your time, you may not be allowed to enter.

If you purchase OPEN tickets (no date/time on them), you will not be allowed to enter the Colosseum until after 2:00 pm.

If you purchase one of the special access tours you are still okay but be aware that some use a different entrance.

Finally, the Roma Pass is still good for entry.

To read more specifics on these recent changes, here's a good link: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k11765736-Booking_coloseum_entry_tickets_2018-Rome_Lazio.html

• Thanks 1

You can buy a combo ticket for the Colosseum, Palatine hill and Forum. There is usually no queue at the Forum or Palatine Hill ticket office and the same ticket can then be used to skip the line at the Colosseum.

Did this too. Palatine is 5 mins up the road from the Collosseum and I reckoned it saved us at least an hour of queuing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on Silhouette soon and one of the excursions ive booked is Rome in a Day. The first stop is 1.5 hrs outside the Colosseum. Obv i dont want to queue on the day but does anyone know if i order tickets in advance whether i will have enough time to go in the Colosseum?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked the Colosseum Underground tour via the coop culture website that a previous poster provided. It was an awesome experience. You have to call the office directly to make a reservation for the time you want. You arrive 15 mins early and enter through the reservations line to the far left of the ticket counters. You definitely end up cutting that very long line. The tour guide was prompt and gave a great tour. You get to see the below ground areas, then take a restricted elevator to the Valadier Terrace. What a view! The view itself was worth the price of admission.

We booked the Colosseum Underground tour via the coop culture website that a previous poster provided. It was an awesome experience. You have to call the office directly to make a reservation for the time you want. You arrive 15 mins early and enter through the reservations line to the far left of the ticket counters. You definitely end up cutting that very long line. The tour guide was prompt and gave a great tour. You get to see the below ground areas, then take a restricted elevator to the Valadier Terrace. What a view! The view itself was worth the price of admission.

We agree - great tour!

We were able to book a specific time and pay online, without a phone call.

The Colosseum is one of the few places that it’s worth the price to book a tour well in advance and use a guide to deliver you and whisk you in by passing the lines.

Same with the Vatican.

We combined them many years ago and never regretted it. (Can’t recall the tour company we used.. it may have been the ships now that I think of it.

We booked a set time online before we arrived turned up 15 minutes early to find the line, told to come back closer to the time,

There are several lines, our line, fir the set time had no one waiting, we were inside within minutes, bags need to be checked, small ruck sacks are allowed.

After tge collegium you can them visit the forum and palatine hill opposite included in the price,

We booked a set time online before we arrived turned up 15 minutes early to find the line, told to come back closer to the time,

There are several lines, our line, fir the set time had no one waiting, we were inside within minutes, bags need to be checked, small ruck sacks are allowed.

After tge collegium you can them visit the forum and palatine hill opposite included in the price,

Agree, this is the best way if you can be sure to make a set time.

• 6 months later...
47 minutes ago, Kittinfeld said:

We are in Rome on a free day.  If we get our free ticket at the Palantine entrance, what is the name of the line we use to get into the Colosseum- I have heard it called the group tour line and the reservation line.

https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

this is the official site with lots of information.  If you are going on a free day it is going to be very busy and you cannot reserve an entrance time.  

I have been to the Colosseum twice and both times it was a very disorganised experience.  The tour under the Colosseum and to the very top is well worth the cost.