San Juan-bacardi tour

We did not do the tour last time in san juan but would like to this summer while on eos in july. Do we have to buy excursion from ship or can we go by taxi on our own, Anyone ever do that?

You can do it on your own. I know the cheapest way is to take a ferry and then a cab. I forget the details but found them on the San Juan board.

But, don't expect the tour to be anything that exciting.

My advice.....DO NOT DO IT!!!

The tour only takes you to a building where they show you a short movie, a small mock up of an old wooden set-up, and a short presentation by a bartender. You do not actually go in to the factory. You do not see any of the bottling process.

Afterwards, they drop you off at their overpriced souvenier shop. The Bacardi rum they sell in their own shop on their own property is more expensive than in the local liquor stores.

The only plus was the 2 free drinks prior to the so-called "tour." But, even those were in mouthwash-size cups.

I agree with the other posters. You can do the tour on your own, just grab a cab. But, compared to other tours we have done, this one was very boring. They do not let you see anything where they are actually making the rum, just the public areas, so not worth it to me.

The tour was much more interesting years ago when you actually watched the whole process from the arrival of the bottles in the plant until they were filled with rum and repacked in the same cartons that they arrived and and were ready for shipping. The free drinks flowed a lot more freely then as well. LOL

If you are interested in it, however, skip the organized tour, and walk over to the ferry pier which is close to where the Explorer will dock when you call on San Juan. Take the ferry to Cataño and then a cab to the Bacardi factory. Do the reverse when you want to return to the ship. Your total cost will be a fraction of what they charge for the organized tour and can be done on your schedule.

We went to Bacardi Factory in November and enjoyed it. We did it on our own. Between the ferry to Catano and then a taxi from Catano to Bacardi, it was $14 round trip for the two of us. We read reviews of the tour before we went so we knew we weren't going to get into the distillery. They give two drink tickets per person.

Would I do this tour through a ships excursion? No. However, for $14 it was an inexpensive way to spend a few hours in the afternoon.

The tour only takes you to a building where they show you a short movie, a small mock up of an old wooden set-up, and a short presentation by a bartender. You do not actually go in to the factory. You do not see any of the bottling process.

Afterwards, they drop you off at their overpriced souvenier shop. The Bacardi rum they sell in their own shop on their own property is more expensive than in the local liquor stores.

The only plus was the 2 free drinks prior to the so-called "tour." But, even those were in mouthwash-size cups.

I agree. Been there, done that, big disapointment:(. I paid to go and be part of a captive audience for their commercial. (I think you get the free drinks to get "into the mood) so you'll purchase at their store.

I would say if you really want to do the tour do it but do not book through the ship or tour company you will pay way to much. Do it on your own very easy and not costly. It is something you can say you did and not much more than that.

I had checked with my friend that lived in San Juan, and he will tell you it's a waste. He believes the tour itself is "free". So if you do in on your own, you can get a taxi and save money. Than take a taxi someplace else and go exploring in old San Juan. He does not recommend any tour that includes the rum, or old San Juan, since everything is either free, or extremely cheap.

We did not do the tour last time in san juan but would like to this summer while on eos in july. Do we have to buy excursion from ship or can we go by taxi on our own, Anyone ever do that?

skip it, it is boring......;)

Agree completely...the whole thing was so fake/staged and quite the tourist trap. We visited there in 2008. Earlier that year, I had toured all the bourbon distilleries (open to the public) in Kentucky. After having experienced that, this was a total joke and a complete waste of time.

Save the money on the cab ride and meander around the pier. There is a tourist info station near Casa DonQ. You can get a free rum tasting (and free samples) there which blows the Bacardi one away...plus you're also within walking distance the fort. The fort (San Cristobal) is cheaper to get into, more interesting and has a better view.

I'll disagree with most of the others and say that IMO it was not a total waste of time. We did the tour in the morning before embarking. We took the ferry across the harbor. I don't remember what it cost but it was cheap. There is a shuttle that will pick you up at the ferry terminal or you can take a taxi. We had our free drinks before the tour (maybe that's why I didn't think it was a waste of time:D). The tour is free. I will admit it was not the most exciting tour I have ever been on but I am a Bacardi fan so to me it was interesting to hear the history associated with Bacardi.

It's something that we did on our honeymoon cruise and we were glad we did it. But it isn't something that I would do again. Not going to tell you that its the greatest thing we did but it wasn't the worst either. If its something you really want to do, do it!

My DH and I did the tour off Liberty of the Seas last September and we really enjoyed it. We love anything historical and the tour guide was extremely informative and the architecture and wall decorations were fascinating...and we did get to see the inside of the factory with the employees and the bottling process.....I guess it depends on your "mood" when you go....of course, I LOVED swimming with the rays...it was so cool!

50 cents for the ferry(25 cents for oldies) and if you're nice to the bar host, you can get a lot more free drinks.

The grounds are very pretty and well kept.

No one pressures you to buy anything.

We had a group of 10 go on our last CCL Liberty cruise and it was a highlight.;)

My DH and I did the tour off Liberty of the Seas last September and we really enjoyed it. We love anything historical and the tour guide was extremely informative and the architecture and wall decorations were fascinating...and we did get to see the inside of the factory with the employees and the bottling process.....I guess it depends on your "mood" when you go....of course, I LOVED swimming with the rays...it was so cool!

Are you thinking of the right tour? On the Bacardi tour in San Juan, you do not go in to the factory.

Add me to the list of disappointed. My advise is to not waste your time on this one.

Archived