Luggage Tag Changes On The Way

I still have many of the 'old' style luggage tags for many of the ships.

The style used previous to the current print your own tags.

Can I no longer use them?

The new style is somewhat like what Princess uses, isn't it?

Geez, you mean we have to print off our own luggage tags? Just kidding ! ! ! :D

I think it is a small, but important change that won't increase the cost of cruising, and will likely help everyone get their luggage a little sooner. I'm sure somebody will react negatively to it, however. :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

It doesn't seem to me that the P (or S) would really be needed or helpful. If we can easily learn that the even numbers are on the port side, the steward delivering the bag once it gets to our deck, and the people down below loading the elevators, certainly would know!!! :)

I just posted the details here:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/07/soon-youll-see-change.html

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Thanks DBA!! I Like the change!!

BTW, do you happen to have an example of the Nieuw Amsterdam Tag?? That is the only one I do not have for the HAL Luggage Tags yet...

Joanie

Maybe we will get luggage before 4 and 5 PM??? Especially since we have dinner at 5:45 and usually are hard pressed to get unpacked and dressed for dinner after lifeboat drill.

If elevators are now going to be set aside both bow and aft -- will those of us who can't use the stairs have a harder time getting from one deck to another?

Thanks DBA!! I Like the change!!

BTW, do you happen to have an example of the Nieuw Amsterdam Tag?? That is the only one I do not have for the HAL Luggage Tags yet...

Joanie

I'll send you one after I edit my name out.

I would think that someone who lugs guest bags on or off the ship for a living would instinctively know where room 1804 is located without the added 1 / FP designation. :cool: Really can't see how this will improve service.

I would think that someone who lugs guest bags on or off the ship for a living would instinctively know where room 1804 is located without the added 1 / FP designation. :cool: Really can't see how this will improve service.

Actually I believe you are misinterpreting DBA's post..Don't believe that this is for the Stewards who know where the cabins are but for the Longshoremen to know what area to deliver the bags to be STAGED...Have you ever watched the Longshoremen deliver the bags..They don't know the ships per se, but this way will know what fork lift loader to put them on first of all & then which ships loading port to deliver the bags to... Then I believe HAL's crew will place all the port luggage together & all the Starboard bags together for faster delivery to your cabin..

Note DBA's explanation

Do you see it? The box that has a "1" over "FP"?

The tags have been modified so that they will reflect the deck your room is on and whether they should be staged in the underbelly (A or B Deck depending on ship) for delivery to your room via the forward or aft elevators and if you are on port or starboard side.

Unquote

If my interpretation is not correct assume DBA will correct me...

Cheers....Betty

I still have many of the 'old' style luggage tags for many of the ships.

The style used previous to the current print your own tags.

Can I no longer use them?

The new style is somewhat like what Princess uses, isn't it?

We just took our first Princess cruise last month (after 8 HAL cruises) - their luggage tags have bar codes to facilitate handling. Our bags were in our room when we returned from lunch around 2 PM. Now that's fast, especially since this was on the Caribbean Princess with 3100 pax.

Any thing that HAL can do to get bags to your rooms quicker is an improvement. On one cruise in 2007, I had to wait until 5 PM to receive my luggage, and the funny thing is is that my DH's luggage was delivered hours earlier. He was totally unpacked, with bags stowed under the bed while I was still waiting.

I'm sure that the old style tags (I really miss those tags -so classy) are ok to use.

I just posted the details here:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/07/soon-youll-see-change.html

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Thanks Dutch. Seems to me it should make it a lot easier for the staff to sort through all those HEAVY bags. Really appreciate the effort they have made in the past to get my bags to the stateroom in a timely manner. Hope this makes it easier for them.

Then I believe HAL's crew will place all the port luggage together & all the Starboard bags together for faster delivery to your cabin..

I still don't see why odd/even wouldn't work as well as P or S on the tag! :)

I still don't see why odd/even wouldn't work as well as P or S on the tag! :)

You could be right...

Only thing I can think of is that they are conforming to what the other cruise lines are doing in order to have it standardized for the Longshoremen to load the bags on the Pallets & transport them to the proper loading bay..Since Longshoremen don't only load HAL ships, they load many different cruise lines from all over the world..

Perhaps the Pallets are marked Port & Starboard..

One line could have even numbers on Starboard & odd numbers on Port while another has even numbers on Port & odd on starboard..

We're booked into an even Numbed cabin on the Veendam & it's on Port...On Oceania we had an odd Number on Starboard.. However, we were on the NCL Crown several years ago & we had Cabin 6056 which was on Starboard...I never realized that cabin numbering is not standardised...

Of course this is all conjecture on my part, but if it helps to get our bags sooner then I'm all for it...

Cheers...:)Betty

P.S. Every time DH sees me taking out our past cruise folders, packed full of Stuff, he hopes I'm going to toss them...LOL

We just took our first Princess cruise last month (after 8 HAL cruises) - their luggage tags have bar codes to facilitate handling. Our bags were in our room when we returned from lunch around 2 PM. Now that's fast, especially since this was on the Caribbean Princess with 3100 pax.

Any thing that HAL can do to get bags to your rooms quicker is an improvement. On one cruise in 2007, I had to wait until 5 PM to receive my luggage, and the funny thing is is that my DH's luggage was delivered hours earlier. He was totally unpacked, with bags stowed under the bed while I was still waiting.

I'm sure that the old style tags (I really miss those tags -so classy) are ok to use.

So, I guess every experience is personal. We have done Princess. We didn't get our bags until nearly after dinner. Hal,every time,we have our bags within 10 minutes of walking into our room. I have been very happy at our delivery on HAL and maybe they do not need bar codes because they do not have as many passenger. Just my thoughts. NO flaming please, not meant to be a discussion, just my personal experience. anything they can do to eliminate problems for others who may have late luggage is fine with me.:):):)

Archived