"LIVE" From the FREEDOM of the SEAS, 8-15 May 2011 (Eastern)

Trainman-2, is the soda machine part of the soda card program? Also, is there more than the one machine in the pool area?

And you need your coke thermos that was given to you (or placed in your room) after purchasing the soda plan to use the fountains. One really fun thing to do is to sit by the fountains on the early days of the cruise and watch all the people try to get the fountains to work. It is hilarious.

And you need your coke thermos that was given to you (or placed in your room) after purchasing the soda plan to use the fountains. One really fun thing to do is to sit by the fountains on the early days of the cruise and watch all the people try to get the fountains to work. It is hilarious.

I can imagine that that would be hilarious. :p

They don't have Dr. Pepper onboard??? :( Oh well, keep the great reports coming anyway! :D

Quick note: Your signature picture is larger than the pictures in your posts. :eek: I actually turned off signatures before coming back to this thread...

Jim, I hope you and Judith are having the time of your lives. You deserve it. I have laughed and cried but always end up with a huge smile on my face reading your posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us "come along with you". Your photos are great and seem to always capture just what we want to see. We were on Freedom in January in cabin 6640 which I think is close to yours. Very nice location. Have a wonderful cruise.

Trainman,

When we boarded on 4/10/11 sailing and the Crown & Anchor Line was towards the middle of the terminal. It wasn't marked to well so I asked where was the Diamond Checkin and was pointed towards it.

We pushed the stroller down and around everyone in the regular line and were next to checkin.

Also from the sound of it you are on Deck 5 for dinner. Sheryl at the Hostess Stand is great. She remembered us from 2 years ago. Also look for Aberdeep (Head Waiter) super nice guy that will go out of his way to make your dinner perfect.

I have been meaning for some time to comment on RCI's biscuits and gravy.

I am from the South where Biscuits and Gravy have been raised to an Art Form!

If a restaurant opened anywhere in the south featuring RCI's offering, it would be laughed out of business within a week and the cook run out of town on a rail!

RCI's Biscuits are flat and hard! I recall reading about the olden days of wooden ships and iron men and they ate something called "hardtack". Perhaps RCI is trying to emulate that? I surely don't know.

And even though the white gravy has a good flavor, until this cruise it has always contained cut sections of link sausage in stead of crumbled up bulk sausage. I am not sure what the sausage is but it may be chopped up link sausage. Links chopped fine so it is hard to tell if they were once links or not.

Anyway, RCI's Biscuits and Gravy get a solid Below Average rating!

I completely agree! We were on the Jewel about a month ago and I was not impressed with the sausage gravy. I tried it twice hoping it would be better but no luck. I did find that if you get the gravy and the get extra sausage links it was better but only slightly.

JMC

Trainman,

Thank you for taking us along with you on your cruise.

You and Juding make a very nice couple. May you have many more cruises together.

Can't wait to see the formal pictures.

Eileen

Trainman2, I love your live postings. They are fantastic. Every time you do one, I am glued to the computer all week. I hope you and Judith have a great time.

I am especially enjoying this one, since you are on the Freedom and my husband and I are talking about booking her for next June. Enjoy your cruise!!! Let us know when you're next live report will be after this cruise.

Tonight was the First Formal Night!

I had expected more of the MOAA people to be in dress uniform than there were. Many of them are older and for whatever reasons, wore Tuxes instead.

We had a MOAA Cocktail Party before dinner and from there Judith and I went and posed for photos with the ship's photographers and then on to dinner.

Tonight's Specialty was the Fillet of Beef and, as always, it was excellent.

I had the Lobster Bisque appetizer and it didn't taste "right". The lady next to me also had it and thought it wasn't "right" too. I don't mean it was bad or rotten, but it didn't taste like lobster bisque should taste.

DSCN2376.jpg

I enjoyed my Fillet of Beef

DSCN2380.jpg

My table mate had the Shrimp Ravioli and said it was Excellent

DSCN2378.jpg

Judith had the Roasted Duck but said she was used to having it with orange sauce and hers was plain.

DSCN2377.jpg

That's All For Tonight Folks...

Tomorrow is a Sea Day and the MOAA Convention sessions start and we have the M&M tomorrow morning.

Did I tell you that Judith is a former Naval Officer? She will be attending some of the MOAA sessions with me.

I suspect that we will be skipping some to have fun on the ship too! :eek:

Tonight's Towel Animal

DSCN2384.jpg

LOL...Trainman do you know what this is supposed to be?? You and Judith look so cute together. :)

Thank you for your live review....by the way, tell Judith I missed the orange sauce with my duck on our last cruise too.

Thanks, the cups they give u have a computer chip in them. That is what Disney uses at their parks.

Awesome report so far, Trainman! I'm going to be on the FOS in a few weeks, and we're in cabin 6342. I'm really looking forward to a hump cabin, and from your pictures that balcony looks huge! If you have a chance, would you mind taking a picture of the room so that I can get an idea of the size of the room? I stayed in a non-hump balcony cabin on the FOS a few years ago, and my TA is telling me that the hump cabin will probably be smaller than the cabin I had before but that the balcony will be larger.

Hope you and Judith continue to have a wonderful cruise!

June, just remember the refrigerators are not very cold.

Tim

I have heard that. Is it still able to chill water? Not ice cold, but cool enough to be refreshing? I would like to bring a small brita pitcher with me and keep water chilled to refill my water bottle. I have heard that I can request that my room attendant remove the other stuff in the fridge.

thanks!

Archived