Wet hair at breakfast

Serious post –

Learning a lot about wet hair in public. I must be out of date as I read it is quite the norm (well at least with the folks who posted here.) My hair will air dry in 20 minutes or I can blow dry and style in less than 10 minutes)

Maybe it is generational (OK – I am 50 ish) or local to parts of the country, but I rarely see a woman walking around in wet hair – except at a pool or on beach. Please enlighten me. Those who do, do you go to work with wet hair and just figure that it will be dry sometime during the day? What about other places or restaurants?

Thanks, M

I have no problem with damp hair at breakfast. Maybe I am just a casual person, but I figure on board a ship, you are on vacation, and wet hair at least shows you got up and showered before venturing out.

For work, dinner out etc, I wouldn't do it, but breakfast seems fine to me.

I almost never blow dry my hair. It is naturally wavy and blow drying it would mess it up. And dry it out, since after blow drying it, I would have to use a curling iron. All of those things would damage it.

I have gone to work with damp hair for most of my career, but since I had a long commute for years, it was almost dry by the time I got there.

I am pushing 60, so I don't believe it is generational, unless we are talking about my mother's generation ;)

I only go to the dining room for breakfast (unless I'm too late and have to suffer the buffet) and to be honest with you, I've never noticed if someones' hair is wet or not.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't go to the grocery store unless I'm dressed, makeup on and hair done. I don't have a hard time with others not doing the same, I notice but rather than criticize I wish I were brave enough to do that.

The only thing that has ever offended me at breakfast in the dining room was the one time I was seated next to a man who smelled like dirty hair...wish he would have come with wet hair from showering instead. I had to leave before I lost breakfast that day. Ever since, I've requested to not be seated with others at breakfast. Not only because of grooming/non grooming issues but I am not friendly before coffee.

So no worries, ask for your own table and I doubt anyone will give you any notice. Or, like I tell my kids all the time...if someone has a problem with your appearance it is their problem, not yours.

It wouldn't bother me one way or the other. I've went to eat many times with wet hair, but I will pull it in a bun or something. You better believe you'll catch me at breakfast with wet hair in a pony tail or bun if we are in port and we are going to do something that involves water. I'm not taking the time to fix my hair when it's going to get wet. You might even find me without any make up :eek: gasp.

To me, I don't care what others do when on vacation. I'm not easily influenced nor do I judge. I'm there on VACATION not to let people worry me or be worried about me. It's a time to relax, not worry about what others are wearing (or lack there of), how they have their hair, what clothes they have on when they are dining.

You will never see these people again in your life. Is it really going to hurt anyone. Nah...do what you want and have fun doing it. It's YOUR vacation. :)

I only cruise the Caribbean, so I spend all day out in the wind and sun. So I wash my hair before dinner, and if there is no time to dry it I twist it up neatly into a clipped bun. So call me gross, but I will show up at dinner with wet hair.:eek:. If I don't put my hair up when it is wet it won't stay up as neatly. I don't do this to offend anyone and if anyone is offended they have issues of their own.

It is your vacation and as long as you are neat and clean and appropriately dressed you will be fine. :)

You will never see these people again in your life. Is it really going to hurt anyone. Nah...do what you want and have fun doing it. It's YOUR vacation. :)

That's what I like to think on vacation! However, my dad has run into a coworker on the same ship, before. When I was a kid, I ran into a girl on my grade from school on the Disney Magic. I kept telling my parents, "I know her!" They didn't believe me! Finally, I tracked her down and proved to my parents that she was from our hometown. :D It really is a small world, afterall!

That's what I like to think on vacation! However, my dad has run into a coworker on the same ship, before. When I was a kid, I ran into a girl on my grade from school on the Disney Magic. I kept telling my parents, "I know her!" They didn't believe me! Finally, I tracked her down and proved to my parents that she was from our hometown. :D It really is a small world, afterall!

Oh my, that is funny. I guess in that situation, you would have to look your best. :D hehe But somehow I think the odds are not in the favor of running into someone...thank goodness (at least in my case...I cruise to get away from them all :eek:)

I personally would not leave my cabin to go anywhere but pool or beach if my hair was wet. I would not go to the Dining Room or Lido for breakfast with wet hair. Maybe get up a few minutes earlier to have time to dry it?

JMO......

I'm always amazed that so many people care what other people do. If it doesn't affect me, what difference does it make to me. I wear my hair wet to the WJ everyday of a cruise for breakfast. My hair is very thick and I use the blowdryer sparingly because it can really dry my hair out badly. I would probably have to get up at 4am if I wanted my hair to be completely dry before breakfast. I can honestly tell you that I have never noticed whether someone else's hair was wet at breakfast or not. When I am on a cruise I want to look out at the ocean or whatever island we have arrived at. I couldn't care less whether your hair is wet or dry, short or long, in a ponytail or flying all around your head!!!

Well I'm not 50ish ,well below it and I personally don't like it.

I understand the wet hair thing and not using a dryer, but you know, to me it just looks sloppy. I don't care if anyone does it, it's their choice but to me they just look like a hot mess.

But then again, I also don't like people wearing illl fitting clothes, baggy pants, sweatpants tshirts and cut offs, ball caps and flip flops to restaurants and out in public, period. People wear their clothes too big as it is and it really looks sloppy to me and makes you look worse. I also think it's terrible that people don't iron their clothes too.

I've been in her situation before when I travel, what I do is get up and go to breakfast early and then go and get ready.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but she did ask for an opinion.

Serious post –

Learning a lot about wet hair in public. I must be out of date as I read it is quite the norm (well at least with the folks who posted here.) My hair will air dry in 20 minutes or I can blow dry and style in less than 10 minutes)

Maybe it is generational (OK – I am 50 ish) or local to parts of the country, but I rarely see a woman walking around in wet hair – except at a pool or on beach. Please enlighten me. Those who do, do you go to work with wet hair and just figure that it will be dry sometime during the day? What about other places or restaurants?

Thanks, M

People are always saying, "It's your vacation. Do what you want. Why do people care what other people do? If they are bothered, it's their problem, not yours."

But people do care what other people do. If they didn't care, they wouldn't be on CC asking what other people thought. They are looking for people to agree with them. It is natural for people to seek acceptance. :)

You make too much sense..they might toss you off the board..LOL:rolleyes:

People are always saying, "It's your vacation. Do what you want. Why do people care what other people do? If they are bothered, it's their problem, not yours."

But people do care what other people do. If they didn't care, they wouldn't be on CC asking what other people thought. They are looking for people to agree with them. It is natural for people to seek acceptance. :)

I find this statement to be amusing. People ask for opinions here, don't like the feedback, then get their feelings hurt. Not saying anyone here has, just in general. If you ask you will get all kinds of different responses.

People need to have a fairly thick skin to participate in an online forum. Cruise Critic is one of the nicer ones around. If you need to seek acceptance, go to your own mirror and do "Deep Thought by Jack Handy".

Some people will ignore or not notice wet hair, some will think of you as being lazy and not putting forth any effort, others will have wet hair themselves. It's just people and there are all kinds...just like in real life. You have to do what is comfortable for you.

Serious post –

Thanks, M

I'm late 40s -- doesn't bother me a bit. I don't do it (my hair looks like crap if I don't blow it dry) but truthfully I don't care if someone else does it.

I grew up in a small town where it was all about how you looked. Every time you stepped out of your front door there was someone ready to judge how you looked. And tell your "momma" if they thought you were poorly groomed, gaining weight, needed a bra, spent too long on the porch stoop with your boyfriend, whatever.....:rolleyes:

I was so relieved to leave there and go to college in a big city where girls went to classes wearing sweatpants and wet hair and no one cared a bit. All our professors cared about was what was inside our heads, not what the outside of our heads looked like. :D

I have to admit I have never looked back.

We are cruising from Rome to Galveston on 10-26-11. I am hoping that others who have cruised this direction in the fall can tell me what type of clothing to bring for days on board, ie: long pants, shorts, capris;

long sleeve shirts,short sleeve. Thank you in advance

Elsie:cool:

We are cruising from Rome to Galveston on 10-26-11. I am hoping that others who have cruised this direction in the fall can tell me what type of clothing to bring for days on board, ie: long pants, shorts, capris;

long sleeve shirts,short sleeve. Thank you in advance

Elsie:cool:

Elsie - you may want to start a new thread with this question so that people will see it and respond.;)

Archived