Men - Hat for Caribbean cruise?

WVBill

Why does one need a hat??? I am 75 years old and have never worn a cap or hat (other than during the cold winters we have here) in my life??

betterthanworking You dont need a hat, and although you have some years on me, I have spent alot of time out coaching and playing softball among other things in the sun, and the dermatologist has been having a field day with me over the past year or so. So it is clearly ones option o wear a hat or not and some of those mentioned have a great SPF built in.

Pete

Why does one need a hat???

a) how is this response helpful to the OP who asked for hat recommendations?;

b) some of us prefer to avoid skin cancer, thanks.....if you made it 75 years with no cancer scares, you're very lucky. I prefer to be more proactive when it comes to my health.

Proof of washability and wearability of the Tilley hat

Have told this anecdote before..

One of the original adverts. for the hat showed zoo keeper attending elephants at Toronto zoo; said elephant apparently ate his (Tilley) hat;not to worry,the hat was eventually recovered:eek:,laundered well and returned to keeper.It was worn for many years.

True story.

Why does one need a hat??? I am 75 years old and have never worn a cap or hat (other than during the cold winters we have here) in my life??

For some people, it keeps them from getting skin cancers. For others, it keeps them from becoming jerks in their mid-seventies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Haha, funny.

I personally am going to be taking two hats with me on my upcoming S. Atlantic TA cruise-- an Akubra Lawson for the hiking and active things, and my fine Panama Montecristi (by Brent Black) for the relaxing times. IMHO, nothing is more appropriate for the setting than a Panama.

• Like 1

I'd recommend getting one with a fabric lining around the bottom of the brim; the one I had didn't have this, and didn't provide as much shade as I would have liked.

My OH bought one of these on one of the islands (St Lucia, I think), and it's just the thing - the ventilation of the straw keeps his head cooler than with a Panama, but the fabric lining provides complete shade.

• 7 years later...
On 9/30/2011 at 11:24 AM, WVBill said:

Guys - any recommendation of a good "cruise hat" for a Caribbean cruise? I need to keep the sun off. I wear a beat up old "boonie hat" when working out in the yard and stuff but don't often have a reason to be out in the sun in other situations. So anticipate needing something for aboard ship out on deck and ashore on excursions or at the beach.

Thoughts?

My husband loves this style hat.  The mesh sides keep your head cooler, the top keeps the sun and rain off, the drawstring keeps the hat on in windy conditions.  This picture is from Amazon, but he's found them at CVS, too, and Walmart.

Henschel Hats Aussie Breezer 5310 Cotton Mesh Hat

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just researched and found that Sunday Afternoons now has an "Ultra Adventure" hat that is 10% lighter, a little less coverage, but (I think) less dorky looking. Also it folds for packing! Although the standard Adventure packs flat, it doesn't fit in a pocket or purse (brim doesn't fold). A hat with slightly less coverage that you WEAR, is better than a bigger/longer one that ends up staying in the suitcase! Also if wearing a collared shirt, the cape length will still meet that in back.

Amazon had more colors and their price was equivalent to REI with the current members' special that can be applied to only one full-price item (plus one Outlet item). Since Amazon had "jade" and REI didn't, I bought there and got DH pumice and myself jade. And still have the 20% code to use at REI! 

Here is their video. REI has Eucalyptus (loden green) and Pumice (very light gray). Amazon has Blue Mountain, Cinder (dark gray with blue mtn trim), Jade (lighter teal-y green with darker teal trim), and Pumice. Trim and I believe under-brim are dark gray where not stated. All come in M (to 23") and L (to 24.25").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4fX1XAuHk

It also comes in a waterproof, less-vented model called the Ultra Adventure Storm in Taupe, with the folding brim but only one size (22-23.65 inches)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2011 at 6:10 PM, betterthanworking said:

One of my BFFs wished that her husband had worn a cap when he was running marathons or out coaching the track and cross country team or out at the beach - he died a slow, horrible death from malignant melanoma that spread throughout his body in only his early 50s...  Now, all our men in our group wear hats or caps outside at all times!  One even wears a water polo cap when he goes out surfing.  You are a lucky man if you've never had a cancerous growth...

I have a plethora of hats to choose from.  A few of those "boonie" hats, some cowboy hats (straw and felt), a nice Panama, a classic big surfer/lifeguard straw hat, and more baseball caps than most men.  Women need to wear hats, too!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Preach it, girl! (slidergirl)

Yea, I will preach...  

Those silly visors do NOT count.   Visors don't keep the sun off your scalp.  Don't say you don't want to mess up your hair with a hat - it's better than losing some of your hair when the dermatologist takes off a handful of hair at the roots to remove a growth *this happened to one of my BFFs who was a beach babe in the 60s, complete with the baby oil*  

This trip, I just took one of my baseball hats.  

ETA: by the way, the Urban Sombrero may be coming to J. Peterman soon!   (google "Seinfield urban sombrero") Yes, there IS a J. Peterman.  look at the website.   one of my hats is their classic Miss Blue hat - it is like a lifeguard hat in a way.  Bought it back in the 80s and it's still going strong!

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2011 at 1:10 AM, betterthanworking said:

If you have a thick head of hair maybe that's fine but my DH is a bald and has had a skin cancer removed after years of working outside without a hat. He has been told by the doc that unless he wants to have more cancers he has to wear a high sun factor and a hat at all times outdoors so better safe than sorry.  

8 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Just realised the OP was 2011! How things change now we know more about the damaging effects of the sun.Lol 🌞😎

You'll note that some of us knew even back in 2011 😉

• Like 2

Oh hey! I found that the Sunday Afternoon Ultra Adventure Storm (waterproof) model DOES come in medium AND large, on their own website -- where it also comes in Pine (olive) and Shadow (VERY dark gray) as well as the Taupe REI carries only in medium. 

I just ordered Pine for my and Shadow for dr'spin! Having tested the Ultra Adventures on a boat ride on the Columbia last weekend.