Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

Although I always go and just stand quietly while attendance is taken and the same announcements are made, I believe the muster drill for experienced mariners is just about the biggest waste of time on any of my cruises.

To me it appears to be, rather than an educational experience, simply a “CYA” for the cruise line.

Scott & Karen

3 star and above Mariners should just report in at the muster stations and be checked off as knowing where to report and then be released without having to stand in the heat or cold for a half hour or more. Princess just has you report to the theatre for the drill info and not even see where you need to get on your life boat.

3 star and above Mariners should just report in at the muster stations and be checked off as knowing where to report and then be released without having to stand in the heat or cold for a half hour or more. Princess just has you report to the theatre for the drill info and not even see where you need to get on your life boat.

I like it but I don't see any cruise line exempting anyone from attending the drill.

I believe the law says everyone must attend the full muster, no matter how many times you've done it.

they should be required to stand at their muster staitions for a half hour while the rest of us leave for cocktails and sail away and we can riducule them for being rinconsiderate. Maybe make them wear a life jacket for the rest of the day so everyone will know who they are.

I know I'm quoting an old post (the last one before this thread got pulled up again), but I missed it when this thread was new, and I want to give this idea a big LIKE!!

Gee, are 1 and 2 star mariners stupid or just have poor memories? :D What about the 4 star mariner who has always sailed on one class of ship and is now sailing for the first time on a different class? Exemption or not? What about the couple where one is a 2 star and one is a three star? One goes to muster drill and the other to the pool?

On my first HAL cruise I checked my life jacket and the in-cabin information prior to muster. I subsequently learned nothing new at the drill, so please don't try to tie mariner status to need to attend. Either have it for everyone or for no one. As much as I dislike attending HAL muster drills - others do it far better - I still support them being mandatory for all passengers.

Gee, are 1 and 2 star mariners stupid or just have poor memories? :D What about the 4 star mariner who has always sailed on one class of ship and is now sailing for the first time on a different class? Exemption or not? What about the couple where one is a 2 star and one is a three star? One goes to muster drill and the other to the pool?

On my first HAL cruise I checked my life jacket and the in-cabin information prior to muster. I subsequently learned nothing new at the drill, so please don't try to tie mariner status to need to attend. Either have it for everyone or for no one. As much as I dislike attending HAL muster drills - others do it far better - I still support them being mandatory for all passengers.

I entirely agree. Let's not have a class system for muster drills, for heaven's sakes - that harkens back to the Titanic days!

IMO, all passengers should attend the drills - no exceptions. Better to be safe than sorry.

On the other hand, HAL needs to figure out a better way to hold them. Standing for 20-30 minutes in one spot is hard on alot of passengers.

Maybe HAL could set up a system where the passengers have to show up at the lifeboat station, get signed in that they were there and then they proceed to one of several meeting rooms to attend a short 5 - 10 minute briefing (and get signed in there as well).

DaveOKC

In my opinion, one of the most important aspects of the Passenger Emergency Drill is that it is a vital training program for the crew. In an emergency situation, crew need to react from instinct, which a well practised process will become.

An actual emergency is no place for crew to try to learn how to direct passengers to their muster station, to organize them within their group to maximize deck space, or to identify them and cross reference to the master list. Also accounting for each passenger, and finding missing ones if needed. Reading what your duties are is totally different than applying them in real time. Practicing your duties in a controlled atmosphere is far more valuable to learn what is expected of you.

One of the well documented facts of the Costa Concordia disaster was that the crew were disorganized and did not know what to do. There were also two passengers lost when the Queen of the North sank off British Columbia a few years back. Crew thought all passengers were safe, but did not do a proper safety check, and lost two passengers because of it.

I gladly attend the HAL drills, and remain quiet while the crew do their jobs. It gives me a sense of confidence that if there were an emergency, the crew's instincts will kick in and they will be confidant in their familiar and well practised role to keep us all safe.

Edited by Davidson Duo

In my opinion, one of the most important aspects of the Passenger Emergency Drill is that it is a vital training program for the crew. In an emergency situation, crew need to react from instinct, which a well practised process will become.

An actual emergency is no place for crew to try to learn how to direct passengers to their muster station, to organize them within their group to maximize deck space, or to identify them and cross reference to the master list. Also accounting for each passenger, and finding missing ones if needed. Reading what your duties are is totally different than applying them in real time. Practicing your duties in a controlled atmosphere is far more valuable to learn what is expected of you.

One of the well documented facts of the Costa Concordia disaster was that the crew were disorganized and did not know what to do. There were also two passengers lost when the Queen of the North sank off British Columbia a few years back. Crew thought all passengers were safe, but did not do a proper safety check, and lost two passengers because of it.

I gladly attend the HAL drills, and remain quiet while the crew do their jobs. It gives me a sense of confidence that if there were an emergency, the crew's instincts will kick in and they will be confidant in their familiar and well practised role to keep us all safe.

Well said Davidson Duo!! Whether people like it or not, this is the law and everyone needs to abide by it or don't cruise. I too feel confident knowing that the cruiseline takes this very serious.

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

How do they remove passengers in the middle of the ocean?

I have been on 28 HAL cruises and ALL Muster Drills took place on deck BEFORE we sailed.

Well said.

The Muster Drill is a minor inconvenience lasting 30 to 40 minutes at the very most. Small price to pay.

It also means your cruise is about to start. :)

As required by the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, a passenger muster drill must be conducted by the ship within 24 hours of departure but many cruise lines choose to conduct the drill before the ship departs port for the first time. It is the responsibility of the crew to ensure that a muster drill is held, and that every passenger and crew member is aware that it is being held. If a muster drill cannot be held, a report in the logbook must be made stating the circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muster_drill

I have been on 28 HAL cruises and ALL Muster Drills took place on deck BEFORE we sailed.

That post you quoted was posted 2 1/2 years ago (January 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM ). So the cruises being mentioned were probably prior to the crackdown on the muster drill attendance.

That post you quoted was posted 2 1/2 years ago (January 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM ). So the cruises being mentioned were probably prior to the crackdown on the muster drill attendance.

I haven't been cruising as long as solocanadian, but started in 95' and have always had the muster drills before we sailed.

IMO, the main purpose of the drill - let the passengers know where the boat is. So you learn it every time.

Every time during the drill many people were absent. I always wondered what these people will do. Even though the drill is before the departure, there is practically no time to find the people (who even didn't appear on mandatory drill) and send them off the ship...

I'm not sure when the procedure changed, but in my earlier days of ship travel the muster was held on the first morning except on ships which sailed in the morning, when it was held just before tea-time. Obviously it's safer to hold it before sailing.

I prefer the method of muster drill on Cunard (and some other lines such as P&O). They are held in various public rooms, not out on deck. The reason given to us many years ago was that in the event of an emergency the lifeboats on one side of the ship may not be operable and passengers may panic if they find that their assigned boat cannot be lowered. Meeting in a public room isn't without possible problems in an emergency, of course (especially if there should be a fire) but at least for the drill almost all passengers can have a seat. Asking elderly passengers, or those of any age with reduced mobility, to stand isn't very civilised. I'm not suggesting HAL ships' personnel drag chairs out on deck, but perhaps passengers who find it difficult to stand could be accommodated in a public room.

I'm not suggesting HAL ships' personnel drag chairs out on deck, but perhaps passengers who find it difficult to stand could be accommodated in a public room.

They are. This has been posted on the HAL board many times over the years.

Getting back to the OP, I wonder if anyone's been removed from a ship lately for not attending the muster drill? I agree it's a pain having to stand around and wait for the late-comers, but we try to get there early and lean against the wall. When they say "ladies to the front, gentlemen at the back", I simply don't move. I can understand those with limited mobility would find it really uncomfortable to stand unassisted for long periods of time.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Not sure if that would satisfy maritime law. However, here is an exception that might. We have taken a lot of back to back or so-called "collector's voyages". No problem with the first muster, but doing the same thing in the same place a week or two later seems unnecessary. Since they will have a list of all passengers who must attend at each station, they could easily delete those who have been on the ship for awhile and notify us that we do not have to attend unless we want to. Could be in the same info sheet we get telling us leaving and returning to the ship on that day.

Not sure if that would satisfy maritime law. However, here is an exception that might. We have taken a lot of back to back or so-called "collector's voyages". No problem with the first muster, but doing the same thing in the same place a week or two later seems unnecessary. Since they will have a list of all passengers who must attend at each station, they could easily delete those who have been on the ship for awhile and notify us that we do not have to attend unless we want to. Could be in the same info sheet we get telling us leaving and returning to the ship on that day.

For a while when HAL started doing Collectors Cruises -- we were told that we did not have to attend the second lifeboat drill.

But that changed after the Costa Concordia.