Giovanni's Table VS. Portofino

What is the diff between the 2 restaurants?

Mariner of the Seas will no longer have Portofino as a specialty restaurant option. I have received confirmation from the Pre-Cruise Planning department at RCI that it will be replaced with Giovanni's Table during the dry dock at end of April.

Giovanni's Table

Your very first bite at this classic Italian restaurant will instantly transport you to the Tuscan coastline. Close your eyes and savor the tastes of the region-focaccia and fresh pesto, Zuppa di Porcini, Gnocchi di Patate, Lasagna Tradizionale, and more.

Portofino

From the first bite of the antipasto to the last spoonful of tiramisu, dining in the elegant atmosphere of Portofino is an evening to remember. Sample some of our chef's new creations or have one of your favorites prepared the classic way. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by derf5585

I havn't looked up the menus but in my opinion the two restaurants have more similarities than differences.

Giovanni's is more traditional Italian with a Tuscan emphasis (more salads and healthy fare), but there are some dishes that are much the same, such as the Tiramisu. I have had a steak in both and consider them both to be of the highest quality. On our last cruise, the steak in Giovanni's was better than in Chops (cooked better).

While I'm sure there will be lots to like about Giovanni's Table I suspect I will not like it as much as Portofino. The key words in the description, "elegant atmosphere", are missing from GT. It was an unexpected disappointment when the reservations page for Portofino disappeared suddenly. A number of people in the roll call for the May 1 sailing (right after dry dock) had already made (and paid) reservations for Portofino and have received no notice yet from RCI or option to cancel.

One thing Giovannis wont have is the Skewer. The reason my GF always wants to book Portofinos.

Just off the Voyager and it will be changing over to Giovanni's table as well as adding Chops

Edited by jonbgd

I MUCH prefer GT over Portofino.

I completely agree. GT is now my favorite specialty restaurant on RCI. I think the food and menu is much better than Portofino. Plus, GT is open for lunch at a reduced rate.

We've eaten in both GT and Portofino. The main difference is atmosphere or should I say ambience? GT has more of a feel of a trattoria and Portofino is defintely for elegant white table cloth-style dining.

I like eating lunch in GT, but we really enjoyed it the one night we ate there. Hubby much prefers Portofino. We recently ate there on Liberty and he loved the lamb chops, saying they were the best he has ever eaten.

In contrast, I love the more laid-back, cozy atmosphere of GT, the fact you can eat inside or outside in the Central Park patio and, if I recall accurately, the GT menu is more varied.

The one simple fact, though, is no current ship of Royal Caribbean offers BOTH a GT and a Portofino. (Then Hubby and I could both be pleased.:D)

Actually, I have never had a bad meal in either one and consider each one a pleasure to patronize.

Does anyone know of any other changes planned for the ship whilst it is in dry dock?

I've been trying to keep track of the rumors and confirmations for this. Mariner was not originally scheduled to thave the full Royal Advantage treatment but then the scheduled dry dock seemed to take on that role all of the sudden.

Here is list of things I've heard as best as I can recall:

• Giovanni's Table replaces Portofino (confirmed by RCI)
  • Shipwide wireless internet (confirmed - report is they are stringing cables already)
  • Poolside large screen (likely)
  • LCD touch screen information centers in public spaces (likely)
  • Royal Tots Nursery - (likely)
  • Rita's Cantina (probable, but where?)
  • LCD TVs in cabins - (probable since easy to do and saves energy)
  • iPod docks in cabins (whatever that is - possible on TV?)
  • iPads in cabins (maybe, but not likely since other ships to have them are sill waiting)
  • Vintages Wine System (possible)

Another thought on Giovanni's Table - is the menu more pasta oriented? The RCI web site says it varies but my impression from one menu I saw as more pasta things like lasagna. One reason I liked the seafood skewer so much is I don't eat pasta and Portofino has had a good non-pasta selection.

Edited by Sequim88

Have not tried Portofinos...Giovanni's on the Allure was absolutely scrumptious...a total delightful Italian food experience with white tablecloth service/atmosphere. The waiter described the dishes. Regarding "family style", we each ordered appetizers and the waiter asked us if we'd like to "share" (in which case he put them in the middle of the table and gave us separate plates) or not. Same with the main course. We opted to share appetizers and not the main meal. However, the pre-entrees were so good, I had to cancel my entree and just had a bite of DH's. Really was a good experience all around.

• 6 years later...
Giovanni's is less formal, but I honestly thought the food was better. I would eat at Giovanni's again before I ate at Portofinos. I thought it was the best value for the money specialty restaurant.

i completely agree. we have had both in the past year, and we both thought giovanni's table was much better (on the vision of the seas) than portofinos (liberty of the seas). we simply liked the menu better. portofinos was trying to get too fancy with the neuvo-cuisine stuff. just give me good old fashioned italian.

i completely agree. we have had both in the past year, and we both thought giovanni's table was much better (on the vision of the seas) than portofinos (liberty of the seas). we simply liked the menu better. portofinos was trying to get too fancy with the neuvo-cuisine stuff. just give me good old fashioned italian.

Lol. Go ahead Biker.