First impression of Oceania Riviera

Caroldoll

First let me say that my DH and I have cruised on many lines, Royal Cruises, NCL, Sea Godess, Windstar, Princess, Paul Gaugain, Seaborn, Crystal, Regent and Silvesea, one other Oceania (Regatta), Carnival..some of the better lines multiple times. We have had plenty to compare with.

Without a doubt, Oceania Riviera is unsurpassed. Boarding was speedy and organized, the Terrace Cafe had a magnificent buffet...not just plates of hot home style foods, but whole turkey, whole prime ribs, just everything imaginable. The somlier was prompt and efficient. The wine was excellent, although we are not wine snobs.

The Owners Suite is the most beautiful suite on the sea. The linens are luxurious, there is a pillow menu, the bar is stocked with first class liquor and soft drinks. Nothing is anything less than first class. All of the crew are friendly and responsive and quick to greet you.'

I believe Oceania has really done a great job. If I can even find a little fault..I will be surprised.

Great ship....sooo beautiful.

Best yet we have our butler we loved from Regent. Pritam is the best. We were so glad to see him.

First let me say that my DH and I have cruised on many lines, Royal Cruises, NCL, Sea Godess, Windstar, Princess, Paul Gaugain, Seaborn, Crystal, Regent and Silvesea, one other Oceania (Regatta), Carnival..some of the better lines multiple times. We have had plenty to compare with.

Without a doubt, Oceania Riviera is unsurpassed. Boarding was speedy and organized, the Terrace Cafe had a magnificent buffet...not just plates of hot home style foods, but whole turkey, whole prime ribs, just everything imaginable. The somlier was prompt and efficient. The wine was excellent, although we are not wine snobs.

The Owners Suite is the most beautiful suite on the sea. The linens are luxurious, there is a pillow menu, the bar is stocked with first class liquor and soft drinks. Nothing is anything less than first class. All of the crew are friendly and responsive and quick to greet you.'

I believe Oceania has really done a great job. If I can even find a little fault..I will be surprised.

Great ship....sooo beautiful.

Best yet we have our butler we loved from Regent. Pritam is the best. We were so glad to see him.

Very pleased to read your glowing comments.We are on our first Riviera cruise in a few short weeks.

I have also just received a personal glowing review from friends who sailed O in January .They commented that O was every bit as good as Crystal.

I cant help but notice that not only are Oceania acquiring staff from Crystal, Regent etc that now they are attracting and retaining defectors from the six star lines.Our last B2B on Crystal was 40% negative so its time to move on and give Oceania whirl.

Rich

This is a sea day and there is plenty to do. There are classes and competitions of various types and mostly Trivia. Last night we had dinner at Red Ginger. I come from Hawaii and am partial to Asian tastes. This is one of the most elegant restaurants I have ever seen. The food was absolutely to die for and as "the perfect touch" they even give you your choice of chopsticks. The decor is elegant, all red and black. The crew continues to outdo themselves. We looked over more of the ship and it is terrific. I stopped by the computer room and it too is modern and elegant with new computers that are quite fast. Tonight is LaReserve and I am looking forward to that. So far...I can't be critical of anything. I am sure Crystal and all the rest have seen the last of us. We had a medical emergency and had to return to Key West last night, but we are still on time. Any questions will be gladly answered.

So happy that you are finally onboard. I trust your opinion above all others and look forward to every word that you post:)

What a coincidence that you have the same butler that we both had on our Regent cruise three years ago! He is definitely a charm!

Tell me more about LaReserve. Isn't that the private dining area that you go to with other couples?

I am so excited for you both. Fingers crossed that you will enjoy the rest of your cruise and will book many more on the Riviera.

So happy that you are finally onboard. I trust your opinion above all others and look forward to every word that you post:)

TC2 - I knew it was Caroldoll to whom you had referred as the friend soon to be sailing. I thought of you instantly when reading her thus far glowing reports. Maybe you'll "give in" and try O yet. ;)

We are also enjoying our first Oceania cruise on this Riviera Western Carib itinerary. Have recently cruised Crystal, Cunard and Celebrity. This ship tops Crystal in just about every way...no comparison for service, efficiency and value. Celebrity in Aqua Class (with Blu restaurant dining) is probably a better value, depending on one's priorities, but no one seems to come close to Oceania in the service and level of class and comfort IMHO.

Tell me more about LaReserve. Isn't that the private dining area that you go to with other couples?

Sorry to interrupt. I think you are thinking of Privee which is a private dining room for 10 people.

La Reserve is a wine tasting menu where the wines are paired to the food. I think that one seats 24 if I recall correctly.

Mura

What a coincidence that you have the same butler that we both had on our Regent cruise three years ago! He is definitely a charm!

I am so excited for you both. Fingers crossed that you will enjoy the rest of your cruise and will book many more on the Riviera.

Jackie,

You can book La Reserve before you go. It is not private....anyone can sign up for the wine pairing dinner. I already signed up for our May cruise. You can pick which menu you want and reserve the night that the menu is being offered.

More info:

La Reserve: Perched high atop Deck 12, La Reserve by Wine Spectator is decorated in a sophisticated decor to provide the ideal venue for wine tastings and gourmet dinners for 24 guests.

Seven-course dinners where each course is delightfully paired with carefully selected premium wines. The innovative menus are designed exclusively for that evening by the Executive Chef, pairing Oceania Cruises’ signature “finest cuisine at sea” with vintage wines recommended by the connoisseurs at Wine Spectator. It’s an experience food and wine aficionados will savor long after the affair has concluded. Advance reservation required.

Choose from three menus consisting of a seven-course gourmet dinner with seven different wine flites; The Explorer and Discovery Menus are $95 per guest and the Connoisseur Menu is $165 per guest.

Thank you for explaining La Reserve. I am sure she will love it.

ededmd: Not sure how you knew that Caroldoll was the friend I posted about but you are obviously correct. We met on CruiseCritic a few months before we cruised together and have been very close ever since. They even drove 1200 miles to spend time with us in the Pacific Northwest. Their standards are even higher than ours. Although she doesn't like Regent and we love it....... and we would not cruise on Crystal when they loved it, we respect each others choices. The four of us cruising together again has been a goal....... you never know which ship that will be on;)

One point that I have found particularly interesting so far is her positive comments about Red Ginger. This dining venue has not had the highest reviews. I read the menu -- the Asian fusion concept reminds me of a former restaurant on Regent that had the same concept. Latitudes was replaced by Prime 7 a few years ago. We were one of the few people who thought their food was extraordinary. Reading about her experience made my mouth water!

TC2,

Don't mean to co-opt Carroldoll but La Reserve is a wine and food paring dinner for 24 guests who sit at two table for twelve. It is quite an experience and the menu is excellent. Cost is now &95 pp I believe.

Tiny, nitpicking correction -- 3 tables of 8 each, rectangular with 4 people on each side. Cost is plus 18% gratuity.

We started cruising Oceanis last year and have never looked back. We have 5 more cruises booked.

It's always nice when new cruisers recognize how wonderful O is. We;ve seen the other lines cheapen the food, reduce services, charge extra for the "good restaurants." We are hoping that O can continue attracting new cruisers so they can maintain the quality.

Not sure how you knew that Caroldoll was the friend I posted about but you are obviously correct. We met on CruiseCritic a few months before we cruised together and have been very close ever since. They even drove 1200 miles to spend time with us in the Pacific Northwest. Their standards are even higher than ours. Although she doesn't like Regent and we love it....... and we would not cruise on Crystal when they loved it, we respect each others choices. The four of us cruising together again has been a goal....... you never know which ship that will be on;)

"Know" in the "strongly suspect due to inferences" sense - been reading CC for several years and find the interpersonal dynamics as fascinating as the cruise information.

Eagerly awaiting Caroldoll's next post! I've found her observations quite interesting historically and have a sense from her past posts of her standards. :)

Caroldoll - I am so jealous! Ever since we left the Riviera a month ago I cannot wait to get back...

Please give Pritham best wishes from the Thompsons. He was out Butler on. 2008 South American cruise and he is terrific. In fact he set the bar so high that until our recent Riviera cruise I have never had one as good as he... But Churchill who looked after us last month was also excellent. As I understand it, staff are moving between the two lines which is a very good thing as it enables Regent people to see first hand how Oceania does things. And boy, is Oceania great!

I share your feelings about Red Ginger. To me not only is it the most beautiful restaurant I have ever been in, on land or on sea, but they really have made a success of Asian fusion, which Latitudes tried hard to do but IMO could never quite pull off. We ate at Red Ginger twice and ordered in from them once. What an experience.

We didn't try la Reserve as we don't care for wine pairings nor sitting with people we dont know, but I am eagerly waiting for your report on it. It looks very nice from the outside. Sort of Chef's table kind of place.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise. And keep posting!

Kissing Seahorses - Sadly, only this one leg, but we have four more booked and waiting impatiently for Christmas 2014!

Hondorner - I will tell Pritam. He should show up soon. He is one of the finest butlers we have ever had, but sadly he is being moved to Marina. I hope it is a promotion, but wish he was going to be here for us at Christmas. Boo hoo!

For all - this continues to be a fabulous experience. I hate to say how much we ate last night, but it was the seven course wine pairing and it was close to being in heaven. I must look for my muu muus! LOL. Tonight is Polo.

We have met so many nice people on board, and the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle was very well attended. That was nice.

We have a nice group for Trivia, but we are far from top winners! Today must be better.

Regarding TC2, we definitely get along well, but as she states we have completely different opinions. That doesn't affect our friendship. Regent is a fine cruise line, but as Jackie knows, I am sensitive to salt and I simply can't eat in Compass Rose. There are other things about Regent that are not my cup of tea. What is important to one is sometimes not important to others.

When I read Hondorner's review, I knew I was headed in the right direction. He didn't steer me wrong.

So, sadly the days are flying by and it is almost trivia time. We still love this ship and love the crew and the management...and if anyone finds something to complain about, I say, tell management as they are very responsive and "here to please".

Archived