Response from email to Mr. Bayley

sabookkeeper

Last week I emailed Mr. Bayley about our first Celebrity cruise on the Silhouette in February. The majority of my email was positives about our on board experience, that is until we had to disembark.

I was quite surprised when I received a call today from someone in his office who had read my email and wanted to ask questions about my disembarkation experience. At the beginning she was assuming that it was an isolated situation. I explained to her that this is not an isolated situation that it is the same with all ships using Terminal 25. I also told her that someone should come onto CC and read the threads about the problems with this terminal. I also told her that after my Reflection cruise I will probably return to Princess because I would not sail Celebrity out of Ft. Lauderdale again until this is fixed.

So, the question is, will my conversation go anywhere? will someone actually read some of the threads on this board? or was it all for not? Regardless of how it ends up, I feel that I have done my part in bringing this to Celebrity's attention. Perhaps if more people emailed or called to let Celebrity know they are unhappy with this disembarkation process at Port Everlades they just might do something (or am I dreaming in techno-colour?).

Last week I emailed Mr. Bayley about our first Celebrity cruise on the Silhouette in February. The majority of my email was positives about our on board experience, that is until we had to disembark.

I was quite surprised when I received a call today from someone in his office who had read my email and wanted to ask questions about my disembarkation experience. At the beginning she was assuming that it was an isolated situation. I explained to her that this is not an isolated situation that it is the same with all ships using Terminal 25. I also told her that someone should come onto CC and read the threads about the problems with this terminal. I also told her that after my Reflection cruise I will probably return to Princess because I would not sail Celebrity out of Ft. Lauderdale again until this is fixed.

So, the question is, will my conversation go anywhere? will someone actually read some of the threads on this board? or was it all for not? Regardless of how it ends up, I feel that I have done my part in bringing this to Celebrity's attention. Perhaps if more people emailed or called to let Celebrity know they are unhappy with this disembarkation process at Port Everlades they just might do something (or am I dreaming in techno-colour?).

They do have people reading the threads. Whether something willhappen or not is another question. Might depend on how much control Celebrity has over the situation. You are correct about that terminal, but my experience is that the problems have been caused by understaffing or slow downs by Immigration and Customs Officials. Celebrity can't control that. Call your Congressperson.

They do have people reading the threads. Whether something willhappen or not is another question. Might depend on how much control Celebrity has over the situation. You are correct about that terminal, but my experience is that the problems have been caused by understaffing or slow downs by Immigration and Customs Officials. Celebrity can't control that. Call your Congressperson.

Agreed, this is becoming an issues at many US ports and NO cruise line has a say in it. The sequestration cuts are now beginning to hit so it is only going to get worse, at EVERY port. Longer lines will also be seen at airports as TSA is having cuts as well.....

Edited by rbuenger

I wrote a letter to Mr. Bayley concerning the disembarkation situation. Last Monday, I received a phone call from one of his Executive Assistants thanking me for sailing on Celebrity and thanking me for my letter. She said that many of the staff--and I gather she was included--have been sent to Port Everglades to witness what takes place. They are aware of the situation. My impression from what she said was that there is some conversation taking place between the Port officials and Celebrity. But, she could not say what will happen. She did say that it is Celebrity's desire that the entire cruise, from embarkation to disembarkation, be as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

I can't call my congressman because I am Canadian. The problems I experienced had nothing to do with the number of custom agents, but everything to do with having to walk the all the way to terminal 24 and then after clearing customs walk all the way back to terminal 25 to wait to be picked up. This is what I made very clear to Celebrity during our phone call.

I can't call my congressman because I am Canadian. The problems I experienced had nothing to do with the number of custom agents, but everything to do with having to walk the all the way to terminal 24 and then after clearing customs walk all the way back to terminal 25 to wait to be picked up. This is what I made very clear to Celebrity during our phone call.

Sorry,didn't notice that you are Canadian. Perhaps Gary Doer can help. I know it's frustrating. I just went through it a week ago following my Silhouette cruise. It was a mess getting through Customs. My agent wanted to be friendly and felt the need to engage in an extended conversation. Getting to the car was an adventure. There are elements of the process that Celebrity can control; there are elements that Celebrity can't control. I've taken 12 cruises this year and feel that the problems appear to be largely Port Everglades specific.

After disembarkiing Eclipse on March 23rd, and going through the WORST disembarking we've ever had on any cruise, including 5 Celebrity cruises out of FLL, we also will never do another Celebrity FLL cruise that sails out of pier 25.

And I believe this has nothing to due with the sequestration! There have been all kinds of bad reports prior to the beginning of the sequestration about the Celebrity use of pier 25.

There were 5 customs agents and having plenty of time to wait in line and observe, it took an average of 25 seconds for each couple/individual to clear customs. It's the pier that Celebrity uses and the poor process of disembarking from pier 25 and claiming luggage in pier 24!

Well, Mr. Bayley was on the March 24th sailing of Silhouette. So he had the opportunity (on Sunday, March 31st) to join all of the passengers in the long, outdoor snaking line--just to get indoors to claim luggage that seemed to be set up in so many nooks and crannies--it's a wonder any of us found ours! Then we got to join another long line-with all our luggage in tow to get to the customs agents. There were 4 working which seems like "normal" to me. This process took well over an hour!! Thank goodness it wasn't pouring rain and the weather was relatively cool. The icing on the cake was that we were told there was no restroom available after we got through customs!! I did eventually find one in another terminal. The "Modern Luxury" part of the Celebrity Cruise was well over by that point for us!!

Terri

Well, Mr. Bayley was on the March 24th sailing of Silhouette. So he had the opportunity (on Sunday, March 31st) to join all of the passengers in the long, outdoor snaking line--just to get indoors to claim luggage that seemed to be set up in so many nooks and crannies--it's a wonder any of us found ours! Then we got to join another long line-with all our luggage in tow to get to the customs agents. There were 4 working which seems like "normal" to me. This process took well over an hour!! Thank goodness it wasn't pouring rain and the weather was relatively cool. The icing on the cake was that we were told there was no restroom available after we got through customs!! I did eventually find one in another terminal. The "Modern Luxury" part of the Celebrity Cruise was well over by that point for us!!

Terri

Do you think that he actually stood in those lines and experienced what all his passengers have to experience? I truly hope he did, because maybe then it would be addressed.

I also told her that after my Reflection cruise I will probably return to Princess because I would not sail Celebrity out of Ft. Lauderdale again until this is fixed.

You do not need to return to Princess to avoid that problem at Port Everglades. Sail the Equinox. It use terminal 18 - the large new one built by RCCL for the Oasis and the Allure.

You do not need to return to Princess to avoid that problem at Port Everglades. Sail the Equinox. It use terminal 18 - the large new one built by RCCL for the Oasis and the Allure.

I agree with you about the terminal. Silhouette and RCCL's Liberty of Seas use the same terminal 25 and it's design is so bad. Normally sail on Princess and never experienced problems. When disembarking LOS and Silhouette it was a nightmare backed up lines everywhere. You walk off the ship to a long outside walk area to the terminal which has another long walk to luggage and customs instead of walking off the ship into the terminal.

Sorry,didn't notice that you are Canadian. Perhaps Gary Doer can help. I know it's frustrating. I just went through it a week ago following my Silhouette cruise. It was a mess getting through Customs. My agent wanted to be friendly and felt the need to engage in an extended conversation. Getting to the car was an adventure. There are elements of the process that Celebrity can control; there are elements that Celebrity can't control. I've taken 12 cruises this year and feel that the problems appear to be largely Port Everglades specific.

We actually took little time with the customs officer..2 minutes at the most. Once he found out we were Canadian we were done because it is our customs that has to be concerned about what we purchased.

Unfortunately I do not have enough vacation to take cruise on the Equinox that has 10 day cruises.

The problems with terminal 25 cannot be put off on Immigration staffing....Although it was minimal for awhile & no one there from Celeb.to or port to help sort out the lines the problems have more to do with layout, organization or lack thereof, & location.....

Terminal 25 was a nightmare after a great Silhouette cruise .... the long outdoor walkway/ line to get to the luggage area is not acceptable; and the space inside to claim luggage is way too tiny for a big ship.. Then there is no space for immig lines-- and then a huge back up for taxis and vans...too small a staging area... We were in group One--I can just imagine what happened to later groups.. would not book anything going from/to there again..no exceptions!.

Happily in Sept. we are booked on Royal C's Oasis and next Jan on Equinox..both of which use the nice new terminal....Having experienced that terminal before...it should be great

Read this thread with interest. Are you able to give Mr. Bailey's email address. We had a horrific disembarkation out of Bayone on Silly. My husband was in wheel chair and we we literally unable to get on the crowded elevators. Without going into the details, we were not able to get any help getting off the ship.

I've taken 12 cruises this year and feel that the problems appear to be largely Port Everglades specific.

Hi Charles,

Wow, 12 cruises in 12 weeks!!!! You have me beat. We only did 16 all last year (52 weeks).

Tom

The problem is primarily with terminal design. These buildings were designed to handle ships with 1500-1800 pax max, double the number of passengers and you get a major bottleneck. They simply can't handle departing passengers and arriving passengers at the same time, so one solution is using two terminals in a slap dash fashion like they are doing with 24/25 right now. Port Everglades needs look at Miami or Tampa as to how purpose built facilities for mega shops need to be designed ..... Or look internally at what was done for Oasis/Allure as an example.

I had avoided Miami for years because of its old, crummy terminals, but have recently had excellent experiences there in new modernized ones, so may make it a primary port of choice.

Worst embarkations ever have been the Princess terminal in FLL. Arriving any time before 1230 means long lines outdoors with no seating. Very poor setup. Best ever have been in Tampa at terminal 3

I agree that Terminals 24/25 were never designed for the numbers of people on the S Class ships, and that is the reason for the miserable disembarkation experiences. It is only going to get worse as the effects of sequestration are brought into play.

I fear that until Celebrity works with Port Everglades on improving/expanding the Terminals matters will only get worse. Sequestration will compound the situation.

We need to complain to Celebrity when we have a miserable disembarkation. Our survey only covers the on board experience. It is completed before the disembarkation debacle.

The other option is to vote with our feet and use other ports, or lines with better facilities.

Edited by WpgCruise

Hi Charles,

Wow, 12 cruises in 12 weeks!!!! You have me beat. We only did 16 all last year (52 weeks).

Tom

Hi Tommy

No ,you have me beat. it was from Nov to this May. My year is my cruising season.

Edited by Orator

Read this thread with interest. Are you able to give Mr. Bailey's email address. We had a horrific disembarkation out of Bayone on Silly. My husband was in wheel chair and we we literally unable to get on the crowded elevators. Without going into the details, we were not able to get any help getting off the ship.

contactmichael@celebrity.com

The problems with terminal 25 cannot be put off on Immigration staffing....Although it was minimal for awhile & no one there from Celeb.to or port to help sort out the lines the problems have more to do with layout, organization or lack thereof, & location.....

Terminal 24/25 was a nightmare after a great cruise .... the long outdoor walkway/ line to get to the luggage area is not acceptable; and the space inside to claim luggage is way too tiny for a big ship.. Then there is no space for immig lines-- and then a huge back up for taxis and vans...too small a staging area...

I agree that the inadequate size of terminal 24/25 is the major factor in the debarkation and to a lesser extent embarkation problems experienced at Port Everglades. We sailed the Equinox twice and had no problems because it uses the state of the art terminal 18 that was built for the Oasis and Allure.

Using two terminals (24/25) with long walks from the ship to the luggage area is difficult and then the waiting area for immigration and customs is much too small for a ship the size of the Eclipse. As others have said the debarkation problems started long before the sequestration.

Adding to the debarkation difficulties is the fact that the terminal is on a narrow dead end spit of land with one road that becomes clogged with traffic and the taxi/incoming luggage staging area is a small loop that is shared with another large ship on the opposite side of the spit of land. (You can see the docking area on the satellite view on http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com.) The access road becomes clogged with taxis and trucks so even once you are out of the terminal there can be a very long wait for transportation to the airport, hotels or parking areas.

Basically the docking area is inadequate! By contrast terminal 18 is a dream.

There is no reason why a US passport holder reentering the US should not just breeze through . . . sequestration or not.

Yes, and all US passport holders should be held back in any other country to experience reciprocal welcome treatment how it is dished out to foreign visitors to the US of A! :mad:

Yes, and all US passport holders should be held back in any other country to experience reciprocal welcome treatment how it is dished out to foreign visitors to the US of A! :mad:

OT, but I'm pleased that a lot of other countries don't share that view in practice. Sadly, Australia and Brazil, among others, do practice an eye for an eye.

I'm not sure what terminal my friend came in at...but she was disembarking RCL Oasis of the Seas on Saturday and said that there were only 6 customs agents for the entire ship. She has been on 85 cruises and said that it was her worst and longest experience trying to disembark that she has ever encountered. Crazy.