Luggage Tags - is this for real???

I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated

Yes, it's been that way for a while now, maybe a year. Some people get luggage tag holders for the printable tags from Amazon or other places. Some people just have the porters fill out tags at the pier.

I believe for a fee ($35?), you can request the traditional luggage tags.

Or...

1. Print out your own, and follow the instructions. Many people use clear packing tape on each side to seal it in, or laminate, as you suggested

2. Get tags from the porters at the port - just fill them in at the port.

3. Do a forum search on "luggage tags" - there are some online sites (CC included) which will sell you tag holders.

Or, they do sell luggage tag holders. Amazon has them as well as here on CC. There used to be a post with the best prices/brands but that was a while ago :rolleyes:.

I agree with you was so much easier to get the tags, peel, stick and done. Now each of us has to figure it out for ourselves or have them done at the port.

I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

There have been quite a few threads on this, including some useful tips on how to "do it yourself". :)

ive always folded it as said and then stapled it together with a single staple at the end.

its been fine. in fact a loit of times the old sticky ones would get ripped just trying to separate them from the ones adjacent, or removing the backing.

it amazes me the outrage this seems to cause on a regualr basis oon CC:

Piece of p[aper you fold to 5 LAYERS THICK and staple together = "this isnt strong enough, must buiy a holder, or laminate it etc"

flimsy bit of sticky paper 1 layer thick sent from RCI = good old days of super strong tags

:confused:

I suppose we were spoiled. We booked through a TA and they supplied us with all the booking documents, color luggage tags already inserted into nice plastic holders. All four made it to the stateroom so I kept them for future cruises.

I always over-engineer things so if I did not get the plastic tags, I would have went to amazon or ebay and purchased some. If you do, be sure to get something clear/plain. The crew is sorting luggage looking for a tag that is long and thin; not something like a typical loggage tag with your home address. Remember the luggage gorilla TV commercial? :eek: LOL

~Bob~

Unfortunately to the OP, this is just a sign of the times and the internet age.

Call it "being environmentally friendly." Or the skeptic in me says it is a "cost containment" issue. But I think the days of us excitedly getting that big packet in the mail with everything we needed is long long gone.

I think it's pretty ridiculous too that we're expected to have to make our own luggage tags. I'm sure the majority of cruisers are not reinforcing their tags with clear tape.

OP:

It's truly less of an issue than you think. We print ours, laminate them with laminating paper, and staple the ends around the luggage handle. Have been doing this for 5 years now and haven't lost any luggage yet.

Other cruise lines are doing this as well (I think Carnival started the trend). We are sailing on Holland America this summer and they've switched to paper luggage tags too.

Unfortunately to the OP, this is just a sign of the times and the internet age.

Call it "being environmentally friendly." Or the skeptic in me says it is a "cost containment" issue. But I think the days of us excitedly getting that big packet in the mail with everything we needed is long long gone.

I think it's pretty ridiculous too that we're expected to have to make our own luggage tags. I'm sure the majority of cruisers are not reinforcing their tags with clear tape.

Agreed and personally I think it is amazing that all that luggage actually arrives to your room in a reasonable amount of time. I was ecstatic when we boarded by 12pm had 3 of 4 bags by 3pm. Unpacked by dinner!

I know what your thinking. The 4th one was in the naughty room. Daughter's perfume was too large and was flagged for possible alcohol. :eek:

~Bob~

We'll just get luggage tags at the port. If anyone tells you it's easy to print them out yourself, watch this:

Almost forgot my narcissistic gratuitous whine: Bring back the luggage tags. Think of all the forests your killing when people print their own. Thank you. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Like akcruz said, you can make a one-time purchase of luggage tag holders on Amazon. They're good for pretty much any cruise line's printable luggage tags. I bought a few and have used them on several cruises now.

Sorry...but I disagree with those that say "not really a big deal"...

Well...yes it is to many of us...being expected to do an arts & crafts project prior to flight is not something we should have to do....

Waiting around for the porters to fill out tags for you, using up their time and mine and disrupting the flow of foot traffic trying to hand over their bags and move along :eek:...For those of you that don't mind doing a project or have purchased your own clear plastic covers you don't need to request them, but those of us that want them should have the option of ordering them with out a service charge

The good old days of nice heavy airline type tags that you could put on before getting to the port...bring them back .

been doing own tags with princess for a few years now.

fold paper tag as directed. do not cut.

staple at each end.

use a hole punch at each end.

use twist tie to attach to luggage handle.

it works better if you cover tag with clear tape.

print out extra tag and place it in front pocket of suitcase

we print ours out and laminate them. NO WAY they come off, unless they are cut off...

Here's the link to purchase the tags designed for RCCL/Celebrity elsewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PGOCUE/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B009PGOCUE&linkCode=as2&tag=cruisetag-20

Try this:

favors by serendipity dot com / luggage-tags /cruise-luggage-tag-holder

I ordered my holders from the above, and they worked out GREAT, plus they were cheaper than Amazon, and I received them quickly. :D

Also, when the tags are ready to print you need to find the "PDF" icon on the page and then print as many as you need. Hope this helps everyone. :)

Sorry...but I disagree with those that say "not really a big deal"...

Well...yes it is to many of us...being expected to do an arts & crafts project prior to flight is not something we should have to do....

Waiting around for the porters to fill out tags for you, using up their time and mine and disrupting the flow of foot traffic trying to hand over their bags and move along :eek:...For those of you that don't mind doing a project or have purchased your own clear plastic covers you don't need to request them, but those of us that want them should have the option of ordering them with out a service charge

The good old days of nice heavy airline type tags that you could put on before getting to the port...bring them back .

I can tell minutes are very valuable to you

Archived