Specifically Saved on All Your Cruises?

sail7seas

Is there any ONE thing you always go out of your way to save from each of your cruises?

I never come home without a cork from at least one bottle of wine we have enjoyed on our cruise.

If we dine with an officer and (s)he treats us to wine, I always ask him/her if they mind if I take the cork as a souvenir and they always graciously give it to me. I mark name of Officer and date on the cord.

If DH and I have a particularly lovely evening and really like a bottle of wine we shared, I always take that cork to add to my collection. :)

I have a very large crystal bowl in which I keep them and it is so much fun on a cold winter day to read through the corks and remember those dinners.

How about you?

I save some receipts, tickets, booking info. It is very interesting to look back 20 years and see what an "umbrella" drink cost, for example, compared to today. Some things have gotten cheaper, but most things have gotten more expensive. It is also fun to realize we used have an actual "airline ticket" vs. some "reservation in the clouds of cyberspace".

Key cards. Office max has magnets for business cards with peel-off backs. Voila! Fridge magnets made of key cards. Helps to grab your mariner/latitudes/past guest/VIFP number while impulsively booking on a rainy day. We also talk about past cruises a lot looking at those old cards.

Way too much paper! I save daily programs and menus, and all of that stuff. Postcards. Never saved a cork. Good idea, but too late to start now. (And the house is already groaning under the weight of the "ephemera.")

I've always kept a journal when I travel. Even when I travel with my laptop, I do a handwritten journal. I take a gluestick with me, and paste little bits of paper into the journal. It can be a play ticket, museum ticket, label from a wine or beer I really liked, anything that strikes my fancy. I've started putting labels from bottled water into my journal.

I wish I'd started pasting things into my journal years ago. My more recent journals are a lot more fun to read over again.

:) Thanks for playing along.

We also have kept our ID cards going back to before they used the current plastic key/ID cards. When we first started cruising HAL, they gave paper cards lighter weight than the average business card. MANY of those cards blew away on windy gangways. :) Security and reboarding was VERY different in those days.

One day we returned to the ship and DH couldn't find his ID right away. We looked up and saw our friend, the Maitre d' , Yerko, at the top of the gangway. DH yelled up to him he couldn't find his ID. Yerko ran down and said 'take mine'. Security laughed and we came aboard. They didn't check names, didn't know who was on or off the ship at any given time. (DH had his ID in his pocket the whole time but was having some fun. :) )

Key cards. Office max has magnets for business cards with peel-off backs. Voila! Fridge magnets made of key cards. Helps to grab your mariner/latitudes/past guest/VIFP number while impulsively booking on a rainy day. We also talk about past cruises a lot looking at those old cards.

I like that! Thanks for posting the info

I, too, do a hand-written journal for each cruise and have found that to be very useful when looking at photos and trying to remember where that picture was taken. Look at the date stamp and match it with the journal date--and I can identify where the picture was taken--and maybe why.

I also save menus and the daily activity programs, key cards, and port literature that the ship provides and that I pick up. I have found that useful in planning a return visit to some ports.

I also like that idea! I'm stealing the idea from you if you don't mind......

:) Thanks for playing along.

We also have kept our ID cards going back to before they used the current plastic key/ID cards. When we first started cruising HAL, they gave paper cards lighter weight than the average business card. MANY of those cards blew away on windy gangways. :) Security and reboarding was VERY different in those days.

One day we returned to the ship and DH couldn't find his ID right away. We looked up and saw our friend, the Maitre d' , Yerko, at the top of the gangway. DH yelled up to him he couldn't find his ID. Yerko ran down and said 'take mine'. Security laughed and we came aboard. They didn't check names, didn't know who was on or off the ship at any given time. (DH had his ID in his pocket the whole time but was having some fun. :) )

I remember the days of the paper cards. You had a real key to your cabin, and your boarding pass was paper. I bet if I could find some of my old NCL cards, they'd be printed with the ship name and date and have a line where we wrote in our own names! If your card had the right ship and right dates, you boarded. No computers to "boop" you on like a package of cookies at the grocery store. Times certainly have changed.

Key Cards. I've kept them all.

Back in the 70's you could actually visit the other ships tied up at the pier. Never had a problem just walking on and checking it out. Yes, times have changed. And the ships have gotten a whole lot bigger!

Back in the 70's you could actually visit the other ships tied up at the pier. Never had a problem just walking on and checking it out.

Wasn't that fun! My first visit on the ss Rotterdam was exactly that. Little did I realize how many days I would sail on that beloved ship---right up to the very last day.

Such an innocent time.

For years I kept every single piece of paper from every single cruise I took, along with some special other mementos. I lost a good portion of them in the flood three years ago, and tossed most of what was left as I cleaned up. :(

I did manage to salvage a few precious articles. :) I have the cocoa bean RevNeal gave me on the Voyage of the Good Nuts. :D I also have all the "milestone" certificates, like crossing the Dateline, various global circles, and the old Cadet and Able Mariner certificates.

Treasures all.

I remember the days of the paper cards. You had a real key to your cabin, and your boarding pass was paper. I bet if I could find some of my old NCL cards, they'd be printed with the ship name and date and have a line where we wrote in our own names! If your card had the right ship and right dates, you boarded. No computers to "boop" you on like a package of cookies at the grocery store. Times certainly have changed.

On Ryndam in her inaugural season they used to give you a gray plastic 1st generation Ving key card with the blue HAL logo on one side and holes on the other. The part with the holes slid into your door lock to open same

Key/I.D. cards

Where is that "LIKE" button??

We have saved our key cards as well (not as many as others CCers but we'll try to catch up;)). The magnet idea is SUPER!!

Our cards will be appearing on our fridge as soon as I can get to Office Max!

Thanks, Seago2, for this great idea!

On Ryndam in her inaugural season they used to give you a gray plastic 1st generation Ving key card with the blue HAL logo on one side and holes on the other. The part with the holes slid into your door lock to open same

Those hole poked key cards started with Statendam. We got both an ID and a key card and that lasted for a number of years until they converted over to the current system.

More than once, I forgot to leave my key card behind when we left and I always wondered if they ever jumbled the hole pattern and if my card would have opened the door on a subsequent cruise. :o

I never tried to find out. :eek: :D

I have also saved my key cards. I keep a folder for each cruise/trip/tour and keep the important memorabilia in them. That way it is all organized in one place and I file the folder in a file cabinet by year. I can go back and skip down memory lane any time I want!

PS I also remember when you could "visit" ships docked in the 70's. I lived in Miami at that time and I remember going aboard the Norway when it first was put into service. I was "awestruck" at such a beautiful ship! And it was so large! I never had the money to take a cruise until 1986, and then only barely. But I remember how wondrous that experience was way back when. I remember thinking just how lucky all those very well dressed happy passengers were to be boarding such a beautiful ship. I was a little bit jealous. It was a long time ago, but very clear in my memory.......times sure have changed.

Archived