Last Minute Itinerary Change - So Angry

Glenndale

I've just discovered from a fellow traveller (posting on the roll call) that the cruise we are due to join on Wednesday has changed the order of the ports.

This means that we will be visiting Santorini on a Monday, the day that the Akrotiri excavations are closed. I have waited many years to revisit this site after it was closed following an accident and was a prime reason for booking this cruise.

To say I am angry is an understatement.

Our travel agent knew nothing about this, he had no notification from Oceania and had to ring them to find out what was going on.

No apologies from shoreside and all they can say is that it is for 'operational reasons'. Of course this covers their backs as it's all in the small print.

Such a cavalier attitude to their fare paying passengers has me incensed.

I have a further cruise booked with Oceania and was also considering booking another for September on board.

Now I feel like cancelling my November cruise but it will be probably leave me out of pocket by a considerable amount.

I've just discovered from a fellow traveller (posting on the roll call) that the cruise we are due to join on Wednesday has changed the order of the ports.

This means that we will be visiting Santorini on a Monday, the day that the Akrotiri excavations are closed. I have waited many years to revisit this site after it was closed following an accident and was a prime reason for booking this cruise.

To say I am angry is an understatement.

Our travel agent knew nothing about this, he had no notification from Oceania and had to ring them to find out what was going on.

No apologies from shoreside and all they can say is that it is for 'operational reasons'. Of course this covers their backs as it's all in the small print.

Such a cavalier attitude to their fare epassengers has me incensed.

I have a further cruise booked with Oceania and was also considering booking another for September on board.

There are really no apologies due you.

Things happen and many folks will be very happy that the entire stop in Santorini was not cancelled. Often changes are made the morning or night before a port. So it goes! Make the best of it as it could happen on any cruise line. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

I agree with other posters that "ship happens" and you have to expect these things on a cruise. I understand your disappointment but not your anger. This type of thing underlines why cruises are not the best way to visit many places--do a land trip if a particular sight is vital to your enjoyment.

I agree with Wendy

If there is a place that you have wanted to see all your life ..doing it by cruise ship is not the way to go

So many things can affect getting to the the port & let's not forgot the strikes in some Countries that can happen on a whim

We missed the sights in Crete one year as the workers decided to strike that day ...we just walked around the town instead it still was a lovely day

Lyn

Yes, I know that I will have a wonderful holiday.

I was lucky enough to visit Akrotiri before it was closed down after the accident.

It was the manner in which I found out which incensed me so much.

However, my TA has now received an email from O which explained their reasoning.

Hey ho ;)

I am very sorry for your disappointment, Glenndale. We so look forward to our stop in Santorini next May also specifically to visit Akrotiri. However, if it does not work out, we still plan to enjoy the cruise, and I know you will also.

Pam

We were advised of a schedule change the day before we were supposed to visit Santorini several years ago when Regent was Radisson. The captain found out there were to be 6 ships at Santorini that day which is clearly way too many, so they changed the order of the ports at the last minute. Yes, it would have been frustrating if we had had plans made that could only be done a certain day, but we were just glad to be there with fewer people.

We have been on cruises where ports were cancelled altogether for various reasons at the last minute. Frustrating, but nothing to get angry about. It will all work out.

We were advised of a schedule change the day before we were supposed to visit Santorini several years ago when Regent was Radisson. The captain found out there were to be 6 ships at Santorini that day which is clearly way too many, so they changed the order of the ports at the last minute. Yes, it would have been frustrating if we had had plans made that could only be done a certain day, but we were just glad to be there with fewer people.

We have been on cruises where ports were cancelled altogether for various reasons at the last minute. Frustrating, but nothing to get angry about. It will all work out.

I am surprised that your captain was surprised/unaware earlier that there would be 6 ships in port that day. :confused:

Port stops are usually scheduled by cruise lines well in advance. Must have been an unusual circumstance ?

Yes, I know that I will have a wonderful holiday.

I was lucky enough to visit Akrotiri before it was closed down after the accident.

It was the manner in which I found out which incensed me so much.

However, my TA has now received an email from O which explained their reasoning.

Hey ho ;)

This is unlike a last minute port change or cancellation due to weather or such.

While changes do happen, it is unfortunate you were not advised when the itinerary change is made before your cruise starts. One might need to make changes or even cancel a private guide or as happened on one our cruises, contact those they were planning to meet on shore.

We were advised of a skipped port once on board but the pax were very upset because they believed the change was known before and they were not told (and so now could not change plans, etc.) This caused a lot of unnecessary ill feelings, plus a great deal of wasted time by ship staff having to deal with the fallout, that a little proactive communications could have resolved.

In the end O most, not all, of the pax felt the ship's staff quelled the problem and were satisfied.

good that O has now advised the TAs of this change (yours at least :) so that those who do not see your post know about the change.

I am learning from this board that it is a good idea to periodically check the itinerary on O's website under 'manage my bookings'.

Glad you are moving forward and not letting this get in the way of what should be a great trip.

Gee, in 13 plus cruises we have missed several ports. Still have not made it to Mykonos but have sailed past it twice!

We booked a cruise for two days in Shanghai as one of the highlights of a particular cruise and set up private tours. The night before we arrived we were informed that the Chinese authorities we going to kick us out of the dock after only one day as a construction barge had to dock there. Much time wasted trying to contact chinese tour company to change tours. Concierge was very helpful and we got it done but there was a long line at his desk.

Last cruise we spent $250pp to get Chinese Visas because we had one port in China, Canton. Ship got the the river entrance to the port and it was fogged in and we sat in the fog for 6 hours before sailing to Hong Kong, visa unused.(However the Chinese authorities REALLY enjoyed the Terrace Cafe and all the food.)

Several other ports on our travels have had arrival or departure times changed at the last minute.

Bottom line is that no port is guaranteed and a cruise is not, in my opinion, to guarantee seeing specific places.

Think of all the people on the Israel/Egypt cruises last fall who had all Israeli and Egyptian ports cancelled. They sat in the water rather than seeing the sights.

One of the most infamous (and unfortunate) changes made by Oceania was the late cancelation of a 3 day stay in Myanmar - probably a highlight for many people booked on that cruise.

What made this more upsetting to those involved was the fact that it was made after final payment date and for no apparent safety reasons (i.e. there was no political or any other change in Myanmar at the time of cancelation that was not present previously).

Other changes, like dropping Israel, were made for obvious safety concerns and were understandable. We were directly effected by such a last minute change while already onboard Nautica last year but everyone understood the need for this and agreed with the decision.

Bottom line is that no port is guaranteed and a cruise is not, in my opinion, to guarantee seeing specific places.

Completely agree; no guarantee when cruising. As others too have written if the sole/main purpose is to visit a certain port, cruising is not the best option. That said, there are some places a cruise just makes sense (like Pitcairn or Easter Island - a shame to miss them due to weather or such but what can you do)

Think of all the people on the Israel/Egypt cruises last fall who had all Israeli and Egyptian ports cancelled. They sat in the water rather than seeing the sights.

We were so lucky to be one of the few who did get to visit all our scheduled ports last August in the Middle East. It was very tentative going in that we would be able to. But that was also one reason why we decided to not cancel and take a chance that there would be a window of opportunity. Plus know one can predict when we would be able to again for some time. Take a chance and get lucky... or not.

One of the most infamous (and unfortunate) changes made by Oceania was the late cancelation of a 3 day stay in Myanmar - probably a highlight for many people booked on that cruise.

What made this more upsetting to those involved was the fact that it was made after final payment date and for no apparent safety reasons (i.e. there was no political or any other change in Myanmar at the time of cancelation that was not present previously).

Other changes, like dropping Israel, were made for obvious safety concerns and were understandable. We were directly effected by such a last minute change while already onboard Nautica last year but everyone understood the need for this and agreed with the decision.

Yes, it is those type of changes that are frustrating. Certainly Myanmar would be a highlight and a great disappointment to miss - especially for 'not safety not weather, not *unexpected* mechanical issues ((our 'miss' was due to mechanical which is understandable but the aggravation was O knew about it going in and that we would miss a port - at least that was the on-board belief))

I hope in the end you still had a good cruise (how did they spend those three missed days - sorry too OT)

Yes, it is those type of changes that are frustrating. Certainly Myanmar would be a highlight and a great disappointment to miss - especially for 'not safety not weather, not *unexpected* mechanical issues ((our 'miss' was due to mechanical which is understandable but the aggravation was O knew about it going in and that we would miss a port - at least that was the on-board belief))

I hope in the end you still had a good cruise (how did they spend those three missed days - sorry too OT)

I was not involved in that cruise (in fact I visited Myanmar on a land trip about that time) so I am not sure but, IIRC, they added some minor ports in India.

PS Our missed days in Israel were filled with Athens, Rhodes and Cyprus - a very poor substitute but there was no choice about it.

I was not involved in that cruise (in fact I visited Myanmar on a land trip about that time) so I am not sure but, IIRC, they added some minor ports in India.

PS Our missed days in Israel were filled with Athens, Rhodes and Cyprus - a very poor substitute but there was no choice about it.

Just curious Paul. When did O cancel Israel and what was the reason.

Back in 2005 (well, really in 2004 for a Nov '05 cruise) we booked a cruise to Libya. We now call it the non-Libya cruise.

We didn't blame O for cancelling the two Libyan ports, even though they were the reasons we had booked the cruise. Kadaffi was making noises and refusing to let U.S. passport holders off the ship, so those ports were cancelled very late in the process.

Those of us on CC and other internet message boards were aware of the changes. We were able to change our touring plans, although not always to our complete satisfaction. But we weren't left hanging.

What bothered me was that when we arrived to check in there was no notice at all in the hall that the itinerary had been changed. There were MANY passengers who had no idea that the itinerary had changed until they were on board.

I thought that at the very least O should have had a posted notice at check-in to let people know. It's not O's fault that they couldn't notify everybody of the itinerary change (although in thinking about it perhaps they could have made more of an effort). It's certainly not O's fault when passengers are not at all computer literate. Those of us who were, knew. The others did not. And some of them we talked to were definitely unhappy.

In the end it was a great cruise and we were very happy with the substituted ports. But we still regret that we couldn't see the ancient sites in Libya. And we still haven't ... but I'm not contemplating a trip there in the near future.

Mura

We were on the non-Libya cruise after you. Oceania realized that they would again skip Libya and arranged a substitute itinerary which they released a couple of months before the cruise and gave people the option of canceling with a refund. We went anyway and really enjoyed the new itinerary. We really wanted to see Libya, but realized it was not going to happen and were pleased that Oceania did not make a last minute decision with mediocre ports as the only option.

That said, I went on a cruise critic rampage when Oceania decided they were going to do routine engine work on our sailing of the Regatta to Alaska and announced the new itinerary a month before, which was downright awful. The cruises before ours were not affected, so it was obviously not an engine failure or emergency. Oceania, to its credit, agreed and put forth an itinerary very similar to the one they planned in the first place.

Things happen and the sign of a good cruise company is balancing safety, practicality, and customer service. Keeping passengers informed of what is changing and the reason for it goes a long way.

Benita,

As I recall a number of us went on a rampage earlier in the game (September for a November cruise) because we'd heard of upcoming changes. I forget the details now, but we deluged FDR with emails and changes were made.

(In checking my email history it appears that the itinerary change was announced just after final pay-up and when we objected adjustments were made, but then at the last minute Kadaffi made sure that we wouldn't go to Libya.)

In the end O didn't have a choice. We did have our Tunisian ports which were delightful.

Benita, there are times when it's worth fighting, and times when you have to realize that the situation is beyond a cruiseline's control. It seems like you are well aware of this!

I still feel that O should have made earlier announcements to the non-literate computer passengers about the itinerary change. It was very unfair to them. They probably hadn't booked private tours -- I assume that because if they weren't computer-literate enough to be aware of the change, then they probably were not booking private tours. But certainly these people were unhappy.

Remember that this was quite a while ago. Many more passengers (even those of us who are older!) are active computer users.

Mura

We were on the non-Libya cruise with Mura. Our travel agent notified us of the change in advance, which allowed me to do some research on the new port. It was a great cruise. Mura, do I remember that you were dealing with a knee problem?

I felt very bad for a couple who were going to meet some friends in Libya. She had lived there due to her father's work, and they were going to get VIP treatment.

Months after we signed up for our first Azamara cruise due to its unique itinerary: four stops in Sicily, Valletta, Salerno (for our trip to Paestum!) and the Amalfi Coast, I found out that the cruise originally had just two stops in Sicily and two originally planned for Libya. So sometimes changes are very serendipitous.

I have not seen an itinerary approaching this one anywhere else. We saw more Greek temples and wonderful Byzantine mosaics than one can imagine in one short period of time.

On our first ever cruise, we saw Delos and Mykonos, but could not tender. Instead, we got to be the first large cruiseship to visit Milos. Of course, that also meant we had to take another cruise the following year to try again to see Delos and Mykonos. (So a very expensive make-up of a missed port according to my husband!:))

Just curious Paul. When did O cancel Israel and what was the reason.

We were on the Nautica Istanbul to Dubai last November. We were to have 2 days in Haifa and 2 in Ashdod. When we left Istanbul the rockets from Gaza have started. At first they changed it to 3 days in Haifa, none in Ashdod. As the conflict escalated it became clear that it would not be safe to even go to Haifa (as many people planned on going to Jerusalem).

It was bad luck and poor timing as the segment just before us did all their stops in Israel.

We'll just have to go back some other time :D

Months after we signed up for our first Azamara cruise due to its unique itinerary: four stops in Sicily, Valletta, Salerno (for our trip to Paestum!) and the Amalfi Coast, I found out that the cruise originally had just two stops in Sicily and two originally planned for Libya. So sometimes changes are very serendipitous.

Pam,

I am glad it worked out for you but not for us :(

We were signed up for that Azamara cruise BECAUSE of Libya but canceled when the Libya stops were eliminated.

We almost met - maybe next time :)

Paul

We were on the Nautica Istanbul to Dubai last November. We were to have 2 days in Haifa and 2 in Ashdod. When we left Istanbul the rockets from Gaza have started. At first they changed it to 3 days in Haifa, none in Ashdod. As the conflict escalated it became clear that it would not be safe to even go to Haifa (as many people planned on going to Jerusalem).

It was bad luck and poor timing as the segment just before us did all their stops in Israel.

We'll just have to go back some other time :D

Thanks. Paul. I think we will fly into Israel first on our own and then fly to Istanbul to pick up O. Then if the itinerary doesn't change we get 2.5 more days to tour with Dina in Jerusalem. :).

Archived