Diamonds in December, NOT this year!

[quote name='seacat65']
The extra points they give to us, costs them "nothing".......

So what is the big deal?
[/quote]

Actually the points do end up costing them. There are several perks being D+ that D do not get. Just off the top of my head higher balcony discount, BOGO for specialty restaurants, free bag of wash and fold, more free internet minutes and maybe some others. Also the amentities for D+ increase with points so yes the points do cost them someting.

Although we do have a cruise booked for December, I am ok with this decision. I have always thought that RCi was creating another overflow situation in the CL by allowing so many people reach D+. They restructured the point system to slow down the reach for D and D+ only to negate its efforts by allowing Diamonds a fast track to D+ with double points in December. A.side from the extra cruise points, (which were nice) the DID was pretty lame. Silly useless gifts and lame parties

At least RCi gave people advanced notice of this change so people can cancel their December plans without penalty if they choose.

[quote name='JohnSnowGOT']
At least RCi gave people advanced notice of this change so people can cancel their December plans without penalty if they choose.[/quote]

No notice from RCI for us......and I'm sure many others. I get more information from Cruise Critic than I do from RCI.

[quote name='postmeome']Diamonds in December....Bhaa Humbug ,who cares?
your all diamonds,what will you get extra,not much.you already get 3 hours free drinks,free photos,etc,etc. as for talking to other diamond members ,you can talk to them in diamond lounge or con club.
And remember there are other folk on the cruise too,who are not yet diamond maybe you could share your stories with them too:)
Merry Xmas:)[/QUOTE]

hahaha ... now you see why I don't go into the diamond club. I'd much rather hang out at the Pool Bar with the "normal folk"

[quote name='suzyluvs2cruise']No notice from RCI for us......and I'm sure many others. I get more information from Cruise Critic than I do from RCI.[/quote]

Well not yet but don't you think l RCi releases information in levels and depends on social media such as CC to buffer the information?

[quote name='SPDBigG']We put off booking DID this year so it's no loss but now I'm thinking if people start cancelling there might be some deals to be had.[/QUOTE]

I don’t care about the extra points ( way over D+ and too far from Pinnacle), so I am hoping for the same thing. In fact, our last December cruise was Dec 30, 2012 and we were surprised to learn it even qualified.

M

[quote name='tinkerme1']Look at this way, if most people don't cancel or complain, then the notion of canceling DiD worked for RCCL.[/QUOTE]
Semantics, perhaps, but
They are simply not repeating DID this year. There was no "canceling DID", if they never announced DID 2013. I personally would not consider it appropriate to complain that they are not running a promotion this year just because they ran one in the past.

I imagine the Emeralds (especially the ones who were a few points shy of D) were not too happy when they got nothing during past DID promos. Maybe they'll do an Extras for Emeralds this year, giving Emerald and up bonus days or bonus gifts. Oh, but the the Platinums will then feel left out. So maybe next year it's Perks for Platinums. Oh, then there are the golds to consider; maybe Goodies for golds? Whatever they do, I'll sail for the total cruise experience, not for the bonus points.

[quote name='Starry Eyes']Semantics, perhaps, but
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]They are simply not repeating DID this year. There was no "canceling DID", if they never announced DID 2013. I personally would not consider it appropriate to complain that they are not running a promotion this year just because they ran one in the past.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I imagine the Emeralds (especially the ones who were a few points shy of D) were not too happy when they got nothing during past DID promos. Maybe they'll do an Extras for Emeralds this year, giving Emerald and up bonus days or bonus gifts. Oh, but the the Platinums will then feel left out. So maybe next year it's Perks for Platinums. Oh, then there are the golds to consider; maybe Goodies for golds? [COLOR=red]Whatever they do, I'll sail for the total cruise experience, not for the bonus points.[/COLOR][/quote]

Bingo!!! Excellent post.

[quote name='PH8']Guess I'll just see you on the BR some other month,huh??;)[/quote]

You know it!!!:) Like January!

Our 15 night TA pretty well takes care of my December vacation anyway. I will have to recoup some vacation days. :(

[quote name='Starry Eyes']Semantics, perhaps, but
They are simply not repeating DID this year. There was no "canceling DID", if they never announced DID 2013. I personally would not consider it appropriate to complain that they are not running a promotion this year just because they ran one in the past.

I imagine the Emeralds (especially the ones who were a few points shy of D) were not too happy when they got nothing during past DID promos. Maybe they'll do an Extras for Emeralds this year, giving Emerald and up bonus days or bonus gifts. Oh, but the the Platinums will then feel left out. So maybe next year it's Perks for Platinums. Oh, then there are the golds to consider; maybe Goodies for golds? Whatever they do, I'll sail for the total cruise experience, not for the bonus points.[/QUOTE]

Okay, semantics I'll buy into but whichever way you read their email message, they have decided not to do it this year.

Personally, I really don't care. We have a B2B2B booked and we'll keep our bookings since it is our 30th Anniversary. Since we are turning Pinnacle in December, my post was there for folks who are unhappy with RCI's decision not to "provide" DiD.

[quote name='PhoenixCruiser']We have been doing DID since it started in 2009, I'm a bit bummed!

###[/quote]

We have also. Still have a 4 nighter booked for Dec since we always cruise a short cruise in Dec anyway. Was nice getting the double points, but figured it would end at some point

We've cruised in December every year since we started cruising. Having or not having a particular perk doesn't impact our choice. We just like cruising over the holidays. Sure D-in-D was a nice perk, but I'd rather be onboard w/o the crowds it draws into the lounges and events.

[quote name='cruise wizard']Maybe they will have a program that is bigger & better?[/QUOTE]

What about "Sunshine in September"? They drop the prices a bit on Caribbean cruises that month because it's the peak of hurricane season. They wouldn't do that if they didn't need to entice more people to book then, so giving something extra on those cruises to further attact more repeat customers would make some business sense.

I have to say that we are two of those that became D+ a bit faster thanks to DID. we are so far from Pinnacle that it is almost unobtainable. As someone previously posted though, it has not been cancelled since it had never been announced.

[quote name='beachnative']The problem is the huge number of guests that take advantage of this program....so postponing it to January or February would not solve their "problem".

Maybe they should change it to "Diamond Plus in December".:eek::D;)[/quote]

Judging by the small number of Diamond Event attendees compared to the overflow from the CL on Navigator last December, I started to wonder if there were more D+ than D.

[quote name='SPDBigG']Judging by the small number of Diamond Event attendees compared to the overflow from the CL on Navigator last December, [COLOR="Red"]I started to wonder if there were more D+ than D.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks to DID of course. Just when they thought they relieved the crowding in the CL. ;)

I admit it still depends on the ship and itinerary. TA/repositionings, member cruises and DID sure fills those lounges. We've seen very little overcrowding lately but avoid those types of cruises.

Gina

[quote name='SPDBigG']Judging by the small number of Diamond Event attendees compared to the overflow from the CL on Navigator last December, I started to wonder if there were more D+ than D.[/QUOTE]

Could be that it wasn't worth showing up for a glass of cheap wine and some trail mix. Now, if it were a full DL, it might have been different.

I fully expected this because I'm "lucky" that way! We take a December cruise every other year when our Grands are with their other Grandparents and stay in a GS (compensation since I'd rather be with my Grands).

We reached the points required to be Diamond level in 2011 on the second day of the cruise so no DID for us and were looking forward to earning the extra points to be only 14 days from Diamond Plus (which would have been accomplished on our June 2014 cruise). We are now going to be 11 short.

We are booked in a JS as no GS were available so we are hoping a GS will open up if those who cruise for the extra points in December cancel.

Hoppy

[quote name='tinkerme1']Okay, semantics I'll buy into but whichever way you read their email message, they have decided not to do it this year.

Personally, I really don't care. We have a B2B2B booked and we'll keep our bookings since it is our 30th Anniversary. Since we are turning Pinnacle in December, my post was there for folks who are unhappy with RCI's decision not to "provide" DiD.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on the upcoming 30th anniversary and Pinnacle. A B2B2B sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate.

If lots of D and higher loyalty members cancel their December cruises or if far fewer book them for December 2014, Royal Caribbean will likely realize the lack of DID mattered to many people. But if they say they are working on something else, maybe, just maybe, they will come up with something as good or better than DID. Hope is simple and cheap.:D.

Archived