WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

They just don't get. Just like if you don't show up the last night-you stiffed.:rolleyes:

What I don't get is do they even read the threads or just post the same archaic thoughts that we have read over and over and....?

My goodness we have had some terrible staff on board ships but we have never removed the gratuities - I did once take the MTD one and give it to the guy in Chops who was fantastic and we did eat there often

Well I suppose some of these people decide before they even cruise that they won't be paying it. About time that they have to declare on day 1 and other than that they can only be removed as compensation.

UK lines have it paid into the cruise fare and most of the TAs here add it on as a prepayment amount before we go.

We have a cruise upcoming but it was gifted to us as an extended family cruise/reunion. I have been unemployed and we are in the process of moving for a new job. Smack bang in the middle of all this is our cruise.

While I am looking forward to some relaxation, the tips going on our seapass account is killing me. The cruise was gifted but we were told gratuities would come out of our own pocket. It will be me, my spouse and 3 kids in the cabin for 7 days. $420 is more money than I have.

Edited by IrishDMBF

For our next cruise we will need euros for incidental expenses like taxis, Gelato :), etc...

Since I'll have no need to keep unspent euros, we may rescind the autonattically paid gratuities and pay our gratuities in cash (euros). I sure hope we don't get on a naughty list because we choose to pay in cash.

For our next cruise we will need euros for incidental expenses like taxis, Gelato :), etc...

Since I'll have no need to keep unspent euros, we may rescind the autonattically paid gratuities and pay our gratuities in cash (euros). I sure hope we don't get on a naughty list because we choose to pay in cash.

The ship will take Euros to pay down your on board account if you like.

Thanks for the head's up Bob. Do you know where they get the exchange rate? Is there a currency conversion fee?

I've no idea what the exchange rate is, but they will tell at Guest Services. They offered this on our last transatlantic for those who didn't want to keep any Euros.

Many people I talk to are not even aware the tip can be removed, but I am talking about Northern Europeans, with the exception of restaurants tipping is not the norm here, that said we are more than happy to tip for good service.

Unless the service was really bad I see no reason to remove a tip unless I suspected the people I wanted to tip were not getting their fair share.

Here is a reason. I never eat in the Windjammer or the MDR. I only eat in specialty restaurants. A tip is included in the surcharge plus I always tip a bit extra. I see no reason to tip people who have not served me and most likely people I have not even seen.

If you wonder where I have breakfast and lunch the CL, Park Café, Vintages and Sorrentos are available on most ships with many other options on the Oasis Class ships. It is possible to remove the tips for the MDR while leaving those for your cabin attendant on your sea-pass account.

Edited by Don Pedro

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5510&faqSubjectId=472&faqSubjectName=Foreign+Currency&faqType=faq

All this stuff is on RCI's site. Enter conversion fees/rates in their search feature.

They will tell you which CC's they do this for and you can find out about dynamic conversion fees which some cc charge

We've been cruising since 2003 and have been lucky with the service from the staff. We consider the automatic gratuity as a starting point. For outstanding service a nicely packed envelop is provided to those who have gone out of their way!

WOW

You would get along great with a woman I used to work with. She would screw you over ten different ways Monday through Saturday . But she was a "good person" because she went to church every Sunday, and her husband is an usher , and they belong to the parents guild, and they always make a big donation to the Bishop's Appeal......blah blah blah .

That person putting the dollar in the plate might not have much in their pocket , but they can buy and sell the ones that have to judge everyone and everything they see.

Perfectly said. I have come across so many people like that and I am completely disgusted by them.

Just because you don't eat in the MDR is no reason to remove tips. The tips are divided amongst all the staff. Even those cleaning the pool and serving at the buffet. The servers in the pay restaurants also work elsewhere.

Wow. Who knew we even had to tip the person that cleans the pool.

Do you really think repeating over and over that the crew know who removed tips is going to change anyone's mind? People are going to do what they want and a random stranger threatening them has zero impact. Clearly the cruise line doesn't see it as a big issue otherwise they would make it a mandatory charge.

And per the op via a crew member, more people tip now than ever before. If a small percentage of people remove the tips and don't tip out in cash there is nothing anyone can do to change that. And it is the risk you take when accepting a tipped position.

Do you chase people around at a land restaurant to make sure they tipped and gave the appropriate amount? Servers at land restaurants get stiffed too by people that don't want to tip. Yet no one seems to give a second thought to those people. For some reason they only obsess about cruise ship workers like they are slaves being forced to do a job for pennies. No matter where you work, if you accept a tipped position there will always be people that don't pay. Such is life.

Edited by BeachChik

If you remove your tips you are stiffing. You are probably giving less in cash or nothing at all. If you can't afford to tip then u shouldn't cruise. Believe me if your a returning cruiser and u did not tip last cruise they know it.

Perhaps your opinion would carry more weight if you had actually cruised on Royal in the last 5 years. And you were not stiffing the bar staff by smuggling on your own liquor.

Unless you are in My Time dining the tips are listed as "suggested". That means you could tip whatever you want or can afford. I wouldn't give up the cruise because of it because they likely won't refund any of the costs and it could be a chance of a lifetime for you.

Tom

We have a cruise upcoming but it was gifted to us as an extended family cruise/reunion. I have been unemployed and we are in the process of moving for a new job. Smack bang in the middle of all this is our cruise.

While I am looking forward to some relaxation, the tips going on our seapass account is killing me. The cruise was gifted but we were told gratuities would come out of our own pocket. It will be me, my spouse and 3 kids in the cabin for 7 days. $420 is more money than I have.

Just because you don't eat in the MDR is no reason to remove tips. The tips are divided amongst all the staff. Even those cleaning the pool and serving at the buffet. The servers in the pay restaurants also work elsewhere.

Cleaning the pool...........................:eek: good grief.................:rolleyes:

HA HA I smell a set up. You can't possibly be serious.:eek:

If this is a joke LOL iT is funny.:)

On the chance you are not joking....:confused:.....Please start from the first thread and read what the fine folk here on CC have to say. At this point just about every angle has been covered.

There's a difference between not being able to afford the tips and stiffing the crew. But others here can't/wont/or refuse to understand.

The tips are divided amongst all the staff. Even those cleaning the pool and serving at the buffet. The servers in the pay restaurants also work elsewhere.

Believe me if your a returning cruiser and u did not tip last cruise they know it.

Where do you come up with this stuff? :confused:

HA HA I smell a set up. You can't possibly be serious.:eek:

If this is a joke LOL iT is funny.:)

On the chance you are not joking....:confused:.....Please start from the first thread and read what the fine folk here on CC have to say. At this point just about every angle has been covered.

Why would he joke about that.......your response is the one in poor taste. Perhaps the extended family can help out if they know your situation. Enjoy your cruise........and try to tip something rather than nothing at all if you can.

Why would he joke about that.......your response is the one in poor taste. Perhaps the extended family can help out if they know your situation. Enjoy your cruise........and try to tip something rather than nothing at all if you can.

I agree, tip what you can and that's the end of it, something is better than nothing and I have no doubt they will appreciate it.

Do they do normal cabins anymore for 5 ppl?

WOW poor cabin steward, family of 5 in one cabin that's a lot of cleaning and looking after...........

How's he/she going to feel at the end of the cruise after they have waited on your entire family only to be told sorry you were great but we are not tipping. Ouch! that's gonna smart