Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

All I know about is Celebrity, and they have the exact same policy as HAL's new one :(

Celebrity allows 2 bottles per stateroom in a carry on. However, some have reported that both people in a stateroom have each brought 2 without any problems. That would be 4 bottles. Also,I believe Celebrity does allow you to bring wine to MDR for a $25 corkage fee.

Sue

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well, sorry to say.....they made restrictions on smoking, now on alcohol...being a smoker, I hope all non smoking guys know now how it feels....;)

I am saying this tongue in cheek though as I don't drink :D

while this is a funny post - seriously - those that smoke can still smoke the tobacco of their choosing (they just have to choose the right place). They can bring their tobacco of choice on board no problem.

Now those that like wine cannot drink their wine of choice no matter the locale. Whether it be their room or wherever, they are not allowed to choose to enjoy a glass of (most likely) superior vino to that supplied by HAL. it's not about cost here - it's about the right to choose.

don't laugh too hard - the next thing might be - you can't bring cigarettes on board - you have to buy the ship's. Now, if your brand isn't there - you might be a bit upset;)

My husband is still incredulous. :eek: He was shocked I sent an email. I reminded him....speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL

Total wine in FLL will be losing a lot of busness

I was thinking the same thing.

Lots of HAL cruisers spent a lot of money in Total Wine, FLL, and they will lose all that business.

while this is a funny post - seriously - those that smoke can still smoke the tobacco of their choosing (they just have to choose the right place). They can bring their tobacco of choice on board no problem.

Now those that like wine cannot drink their wine of choice no matter the locale. Whether it be their room or wherever, they are not allowed to choose to enjoy a glass of (most likely) superior vino to that supplied by HAL. it's not about cost here - it's about the right to choose.

don't laugh too hard - the next thing might be - you can't bring cigarettes on board - you have to buy the ship's. Now, if your brand isn't there - you might be a bit upset;)

My husband is still incredulous. :eek: He was shocked I sent an email. I reminded him....speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL

Absolutely get your point. On the other hand it is about time people moaning about us smokers get a bit of their own medicine in respects to enjoying alcohol how and when they want to enjoy it. Maybe and just maybe it shuts them up for a bit when it comes to a whiff of smoke on a balconcy because they are worrying about their intake of alcohol ;)

Absolutely get your point. On the other hand it is about time people moaning about us smokers get a bit of their own medicine in respects to enjoying alcohol how and when they want to enjoy it. Maybe and just maybe it shuts them up for a bit when it comes to a whiff of smoke on a balconcy because they are worrying about their intake of alcohol ;)

you are talking to the wrong person:):rolleyes::p

but I get your 'drift' so to speak:)

Let's just not turn this into a smoking thread:eek:

apples and oranges. When they limit smokers to bringing on board 1 pack of cigarettes per passenger, regardless of length of cruise, and any additional must be purchased on board with limited brands available at hugely inflated prices, and cannot be brought aboard in ports, then there will be a comparison.

The issue goes beyond the limit for me. RCI and Celebrity limit you to two bottles per cabin. The both have high corkage fees. That's only part of the issue. Both RCI (for sure) and Celebrity have far superior wine lists and pricing.

Basically, if you are going to limit what can be brought aboard, and have a high corkage fee, then you must provide an attractive alternative onboard! Both RCI and Celebrity do that. And, that's where HAL, at the moment, fails miserable, IMO.

I totally agree with you. Having sailed on Celebrity 2x in the last 14 months, their wine selection is far more extensive than HAL's. The other point to be made is that they have excellent wine service. There are many wine stewards in the dining room and your glass never goes unfilled. Their house pours are much better quality than HAL's. HAL does need to step it up a few notches to be competitive.

Celebrity's corkage fee is $25, and I didn't see anyone bringing their own wine into the dining room, so something must be working right.

I get your 'drift' as Kazu put it so well, but really......

I don't care if people bring on wine or not; it doesn't bother me either way.

It does bother me when I can't enjoy our verandah due to smokers on either or both sides of us.

Getting back to the Wine Policy..... I very much 'get it' about being in Europe and wanting to enjoy some wonderful wines bought in port. I suspect security on the gangway may give a bit of leeway with folks who don't get greedy and only bring a single bottle back from a day in Venice or the like. At least I hope so.......

Bota bag sales just went up 500%

I highly doubt they would escape the xray machine;)

apples and oranges. When they limit smokers to bringing on board 1 pack of cigarettes per passenger, regardless of length of cruise, and any additional must be purchased on board with limited brands available at hugely inflated prices, and cannot be brought aboard in ports, then there will be a comparison.

thank you - that was the point I was trying to make - you did it better than I:D

The wine list is crap compared to other lines. I best $ they wont improve or expand it.

I did send an email expressing my unhappiness with the new policy. I also said I hoped the would do something to improve the onboard purchase options (more extensive list, better quality, and prices in line with other cruise lines).

Has any World Cruiser signed in with an opinion yet?

I can't imagine that some will be thrilled with being able to bring on only two bottles per couple for over 100 days on board!

most of the world cruisers don't post here often other than to report. Who knows, they may not even know the policy has changed

I can't imagine that some will be thrilled with being able to bring on only two bottles per couple for over 100 days on board!

They might also have different rules, since they are paying the big bucks.

I don't drink wine so it is a problem only for my wife who enjoys a favorite wine that HAL does not offer,. Our next cruise is 41 days and hopefully she will be able to purchase her favorite or local wines to taste without any hassle from HAL. This is what we have done for many years and will continue to do this.

We have purchased over $500 in drink cards for this cruise and may end up purchasing even more as we like to treat our friends at cocktail hour and other occasions.

I think it appropriate for HAL to stop the abuse of bringing a case etc on board but I would have to reconsider sailing on HAL if my wife could not bring more than 750 bottle of local wines on board.

I feel the same way for local beer, If I am not allowed to bring 3-6 cans/bottles of local beer onboard I am going to be quite in a tizzy and as they say

will probably get my knickers in a twist

Edited by earljr

And this points out the absurdity of it all. It was my complaint before about other cruiselines and now it applies to HAL too. :( The same limit for a 7-day Caribbean cruise and a 100+ day world cruise is ridiculous. :mad: