invitation to captains table

macfin

I wonder if the Captain ever gets bored of telling the same old stories and just wants to be left alone. I guess schmoozing is also part of his job. Does RCI have any female Captains?

How do you know the Captain tells the same old stories?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How do you know the Captain tells the same old stories?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Because I don't think that they get new ones as often as they would need to in order to tell fresh stories.

Do you have some insight to share regarding how often the Captain's tell old stories as opposed to new ones?

We have dined with the captain several times, Our favorite still being Capt. Johnny. More times than not lately it ends up being the staff captain. Once you hit 350 points you receive an invite on each cruise. You are treated to predinner drinks in the lounge and a picture is taken of you from up above. The steak and desert you receive is of chops quality. We have met some very interesting table mates at these dinners. I always enjoy the hotel directors stories the best.

Because I don't think that they get new ones as often as they would need to in order to tell fresh stories.

Do you have some insight to share regarding how often the Captain's tell old stories as opposed to new ones?

Some people just love telling the same old story to a new audience - but you've probably not met my DH.

The captain does not eat there every night - maybe once or twice during a cruise. And, no, asking will not get you an invitation.

It does in some cases.

A couple on our table asked the head waiter and maitre d and got it, although they were told that that is not the way they do it usually. So never hurts to ask. Before I could open my mouth to ask too, I got a kick under the table from DH. So I didn't.

Another time it was an elderly solo diamond plus member, who complained all the time, every time she said something, it was to complain.....she was invited, perhaps so that she may stop complaining?? but ohhhh nooooo....that did not stop her!

So you never know!

Once you hit 350 points you receive an invite on each cruise.

Actually, at 350 cruise points you receive a meal with an officer. On my last cruise on Oasis there were 5 of us who had lunch with the Revenue Officer in the MDR. It was the regular menu but wine was provided:) On Navigator in January it was also lunch in the MDR with the LA and one of the bridge officers. No wine. Two times before that it was dinner at the Captain's table with the Captain. On Mariner we just met in front of Studio B, no predinner drinks.

We sat all week at the chief pursers table on the old Westerdam (not sure how we were assigned) and one special evening at the Captains table on Norwegian Wind 10 day Hawaii cruise.

On the later we got invited because we had made friends the first night out with the CD. Most folks had flown in to Honolulunthe same day and made it an early night. We had arrived a couple days early and so were nearly alone in one of the bars when the CD joined us and we chatted for two hours.

Next day came the invitation. It was our first "Free Style" cruise so I had not packed a tie. The CD offered to loan me one (hideous) so had to purchase one on board. LOL.

It was a great night starting with a cocktail reception in the captains quarters, then dinner, and then priority seating in the show room. There was no lack of drinks, wine and service.

We have dined with the captain several times, Our favorite still being Capt. Johnny. More times than not lately it ends up being the staff captain. Once you hit 350 points you receive an invite on each cruise. You are treated to predinner drinks in the lounge and a picture is taken of you from up above. The steak and desert you receive is of chops quality. We have met some very interesting table mates at these dinners. I always enjoy the hotel directors stories the best.

When you reach 340 points you are eligible for a "meal" with an officer, but it is not a guarantee. It depends on the ship and the number of D+ and PC Members on board. And, it is not necessarily with the Captain.

You are not treated to pre-dinner drinks prior to dinner on all ships. On Radiance, we met in the Champagne bar and on Freedom we met in Boleros on Deck 4. Both times pre-dinner cocktails were served and the Host joined the group.

On Jewel, we met on Deck 4 under the clock as we did on Brilliance, Vision and Enchantment. We were seated and waited for the Host to arrive.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were invited in a most unusual way. We were cruising on the Freedom, and on the 2nd nite, after dinner , we were walking in the Promenade and were approached by a RCL representative if we were interested in dining with the Captain--we were overwhelmed, and accepted.:) Unfortunately,:mad: my daughter got sick back home and rushed to the hospital. Had to leave the ship and fly home. Thank God we were docking in San Juan the next day so that we could get a decent flight. Also, lucky that we had travel insurance.

Ps. The only time.

On our past cruise this May on Freedom of the Seas, we were invited to dine with the Hotel Director on the first formal night. We are Diamond + C&A members and were staying in our first GS. I believe that's why we were invited. Haven't been invited to the Captain's table as yet. Maybe next cruise. ;) We had a wonderful dinner and met some very nice people. I don't think you can request a dinner invitation, I think you have to be invited. LOL Happy Cruising!

• 3 months later...

Who knows how the invitees are chosen....we just got back from our 15th RCI cruise.... We took 5 "new cruisers" with us....4 cabins total....3 in JS, 1 in a E-3.... Reservations all linked, celebrations ( birthday and an anniversary) were duly noted....our friends who have never cruised before, staying in the E-3, get the invite to dine with the Captain at CHOPS on the night of our friends birthday! It was funny....we all would meet in our cabin before dinner and they came in with the invite thinking we all must have gotten one....when they realized we all weren't invited they called and politely declined....we had reservations that evening at Portofinos....

Maybe someday we will get the invite.....not holding my breath! Lol!;)

Took friends of ours on Adventure of the Seas out of PR. First time they had ever cruised. My wife and I were in an Grand Suite and the other two couples took Jr Suites.

First night sitting at the table in the MDR ( was next to to the Captains table) a person walked up and just asked if we would like to dine with the Captain on Captains night! My friends looked at me and thought I had set this up.

Next day there is an invite in each of our cabins, they still think I set it up, but had nothing to do with it.

We met "Our handler" in one of the bars, they bought us drinks, and then took us to dinner. The Ships Ambassador joined us. There were D+ people at the table and when they found out that it was my friends first cruise and was invited they couldn't stop asking how they got to the table. They wanted to know who we were!! They had never been invited!! :D

Since my friend's company builds parts for boats, the Captain invited us to the Bridge the day we left St Martin to help set sail. These people were going crazy! ;) What a great time!!

It happened to my wife and I again when we sailed on Oasis (2011), we actually missed our show Hairspray! We just got a phone call. We are selling Oasis on January 25th 2014 again to see the show. Not looking to sit with the Captain.:p

821926470_IVGCruise2008049.jpg.8dabeda980c3f67743eec94b92fcd37d.jpg

Has anybody had this happen? How did you get the invite --- did you do something special? Did you request it ---Diamond Plus??? :confused:

Three with C + 1 RCL + No idea why - not suites or longest cruisers :confused:

Great food and company but sadly the wine always a lower/mid range, not what one would have expected for a Captain's table. ;)

Never been. That said the question came up in at least two different times for me. Once in the Q&A session with senior crew on Allure, and once when the captain on Jewel was at the Top Tier event. Both answers were slightly different, but they basically said each ship/captain was slightly different. Top level cruiser are frequent, but they just as frequently decline or so I heard on Majesty as well. That sends the designated crew member scrambling.

Once on RCCL becaue we had been on a previous cruise with the concierge.

Twice on Celebrity, first with the Security Officer and next time with the Staff Captain.

The first time, the Loyalty Ambassador invited us. I had asked about a bridge tour and (I think) she felt bad because they had stopped them. When we returned next year, the Security Officer had been promoted to Staff Captain and he remembered us.

This is also why I pack my dark suit. You never know when you might be invited!

We were invited in on unusual circumstance. While cruising on the Freedom some years ago, we were walking by the promenade after dinner and were approached by a RCL rep. who asked us if we would be interested in dining with the Captain, the following day. A first we thought that it was a joke and after determining that it was real, we accepted. Unfortunately, we had an emergency back home with our daughter and had to abandon the cruise in San Juan and fly back home. Thank God the next port was San Juan as we were able to get an decent flight. This was the only time we smelled an invite.

DW and I were on the Radiance of the Seas in August of 2012. While we were in the Concierge Lounge, the Captain (I don't recall his name) came in and mingled with all the guests. We chatted with him for a while as he was very easy to engage in conversation.

The next day, we received an invitation in our room inviting us to dine with him on Formal Night. We were amazed to say the least. Fortunately, we had packed appropriate attire. We had an wonderful evening with him and three other couples. My wife still talks about how much she enjoyed walking down the staircase into the dining room and being placed on the Captain's right at the dining table.

Later in the cruise, while chatting with the concierge, she asked him how we were chosen. He said he had recommended us. It was a memorable experience and one of the highlights of that cruise.

Later in the cruise, while chatting with the concierge, she asked him how we were chosen. He said he had recommended us.

I think this is the key....

I just had my first dinner with the captain on the Vision after approx. 20 cruises. I made excellent friends with CD Rico and Diamond Concierge Effren, both awesome people. I had a few negative issues occur on the cruise incl. my electronic coupon discounts (Diamond) on my card that refused to work. I didn't care, shrugged my shoulders and let it be. I was having an awesome vacation!! I remember having a good laugh with Effren about how one passenger a few cruises back put up such a fuss that the specialty coffee maker in the Diamond Lounge wouldn't work, but probably wouldn't have complained if the ship sank! I guess they see many people making the utmost biggest scene for the smallest of details.

Anyways, out of the blue I too received an invite with the Captain and it was awesome! Saying hello to Effren the next morning I told him how stoked I was about dinner with the Capt and it dawned on me by his look/smirk that he had something to do with it... he just wouldn't admit it. I also talked to Rico and he claims to have heard nothing about it either. But after they're reactions I'm 99% sure they had something to do with it. I feel they just liked us and put in the word for us.

I also notice that all of you who have posted so far are very nice with your posts, and ultimately seem humble with your invite. I think that's the way it is.... If you are just happy people and enjoying your cruise, you will at some point see something like this happen to you as the staff will notice your positive attitude and energy. If you are a complainer and always demanding, I suspect you will never see this come your way.