HAL's BEER CONFISCATION

blignop

Exactly. It looks like an awful lot of people have jumped in to say the same thing, over and over. I'm sure the OP gets the message. Welcoming lot, aren't we?:rolleyes:

Kinda like the wine thread? Pretty much even thread is the same thing repeated over and over again. Silly people we are not embracing rule breakers.

Edited by lorekauf

Totally get the concern on the beer - there is just one difference between the wine concern and the beer concern. The wine was legal and permitted. The beer never was. That being said, I have seen one bottle/can permitted but really whether you get it on the last night or take it that night - it's only on bottle:confused: So, if it's a souvenir you are taking it home anyways, and if you want to drink it - you can on the last night. I'm probably missing the boat here - I often do.

I've been thinking the same Jacqui, since the new policy for wine was announced. If people collect wine in port(s) and check it in to have it returned the night of disembarkation...... what parties may materialize that final night. If that were to happen, a corkage fee may be forthcoming for all bottles.... or not.

Kazu, with great respect, it's your "word" against my 12 years experience so a little outside proof might be helpful. None so far...

I would greatly like HAL to succeed but my big fear behind this is deformulation of the package. Some cruise lines really turn the screw. HAL were never like that. If you want to go on a cruise where they confiscate one bottle of beer openly carried on then we can now add one for sure (according to the supporters of the RULE). Myself, as a non beer drinker, would prefer a little more consistency and a reasonable latitude for which a cruise line can exert a reasonable premium. Of course, it's my and others' choice henceforward which line to choose. So, the message is that if you want a HAL cruise do not take on ONE beer or you may well be subject to justified confiscation, and criticism by the majority of responders on this site.Interesting.

Kazu, with great respect, it's your "word" against my 12 years experience so a little outside proof might be helpful. None so far...

I would greatly like HAL to succeed but my big fear behind this is deformulation of the package. Some cruise lines really turn the screw. HAL were never like that. If you want to go on a cruise where they confiscate one bottle of beer openly carried on then we can now add one for sure (according to the supporters of the RULE). Myself, as a non beer drinker, would prefer a little more consistency and a reasonable latitude for which a cruise line can exert a reasonable premium. Of course, it's my and others' choice henceforward which line to choose. So, the message is that if you want a HAL cruise do not take on ONE beer or you may well be subject to justified confiscation, and criticism by the majority of responders on this site.Interesting.

Not really that interesting. I agree that inconsistency can be upsetting to say the least but the rules are clearly stated and, as a veteran HAL cruiser, you should be aware of them. No use crying over spilled beer. Move on!

Edited by taxmantoo

Until January 31, it is permitted to bring all the wine you want. You weren't 'caught' because you weren't breaking a rule. :) (Assuming by case, you mean case of wine, not beer.)

Until Feburary 1.........

You assumed incorrectly. It was about beer, which this thread is about.

Edited by YubaSutter

Kazu, with great respect, it's your "word" against my 12 years experience so a little outside proof might be helpful...

It has been in Know Before You Go for years. It was in the booklets back when they were sending those and is now online. I'd say that is proof. I don't recall where I put the older booklets, but the most recent I have is from several years ago. On p. 11 of that booklet it says alcholic beverages other than wine and champaigne will be collected and kept until the last day. That seems proof enough to me.

It has been in Know Before You Go for years. It was in the booklets back when they were sending those and is now online. I'd say that is proof. I don't recall where I put the older booklets, but the most recent I have is from several years ago. On p. 11 of that booklet it says alcholic beverages other than wine and champaigne will be collected and kept until the last day. That seems proof enough to me.

See, I knew there was a reason I keep those old cruiseline books!

I found the one from when we cruised in 2009, and it says the same thing. Not 12 years ago, but at least a while ago.

The one and only time I remember what I thought was a strange situation with liquor was on the Ryndam in early 1995. The couple in the deluxe suite next to us, S012 to be specific though it was numbered a bit differently back then, either hauled on the ship or somehow bought a large amount of liquor. Every afternoon around 5 PM they'd prop open their cabin door and pretty much have an open house cocktail party. It certainly wasn't that the ship didn't know as they'd bring in glasses, "fruit", and ice. No bartender, it was serve yourself, but you could make a fairly significant range of drinks as long as you didn't need a blender. I may be totally wrong but I thought at the time that they brought the liquor on board with them as the majority of bottles were the larger "gallon" size which, to the best of my knowledge, weren't available on the ship. I have no idea what the rules were back then and if or how my cabin neighbor got around them but he did. I know by 1998 you couldn't do that as I thought about my new bride and I bringing a bottle or two of liquor with us and I read where that was not permitted so dropped the idea.

Please do not misunderstand me - I am not criticizing you - I am just saying the way it has been for years. I remember coming back in one port in Europe and we had a beer - we were prepared to dump it and the guy just smiled and said it's only one - don't worry. But, that just means they were being kind. it doesn't mean it was permitted. So, my attitude was thanks for letting me - but I don't expect it to happen every time and honestly - it was a mistake and we realized when we got to the ship that we still had it.

And with great respect, I have sailed on HAL for more than 12 years and other cruise lines - so we can simply agree to disagree. i can't remember when beer was legally permitted. Sorry if you didn't like my post. edited to say - not that it's meaningful but my first cruise was in 1987 - my first HAL cruise was in 1988. :)

I agree one beer might be the extreme but........we knew the rule when we got onboard didn't we? Didn't your wife enjoy it on the last night?

Edited by kazu

I went back to my old documents, and each "Know Before You Go" since 2004 has had the statement prohibiting any alcohol except wine and champagne.

A scan of the 2004 Booklet can be found at

http://halfacts.com/kbyg/KBYG-04.jpg

and the 2007 Booklet can be found at

http://halfacts.com/kbyg/KBYG-07.jpg

Rich

I guess I just don't understand the hullabaloo over one lousy beer. Big deal. Chug it down on the gangway and order one when you're onboard. Regarding the argument about inconsistency. Say, you drive 55 in a 45 mph zone for 20 years and are never caught. Then one day, you're pulled over and given a ticket. Are you actually going to argue with the officer that you've been speeding for twenty years and since they failed to catch you, they can't give you a ticket now? Doesn't pass the smirk test, I'm afraid.

Edited by CI66774

when I go on a plane they won't let me even take one bottle of water through the TSA line. I mean I'm special and it's only one bottle. Rules are rules are rules.

I went back to my old documents, and each "Know Before You Go" since 2004 has had the statement prohibiting any alcohol except wine and champagne.

A scan of the 2004 Booklet can be found at

http://halfacts.com/kbyg/KBYG-04.jpg

and the 2007 Booklet can be found at

http://halfacts.com/kbyg/KBYG-07.jpg

Rich

Rich, you're my hero for having a KBYG pamphlet from 2004! That may only be 9 years old but should be enough to quell concerns that this 'no beer' policy has indeed been in place for some time.

As Ruth said, when a policy isn't enforced, it creates a sense of entitlement. I agree it seems petty over one can of beer, but the modus operendi of the cruise lines (definitely NOT just HAL) these days seems to be to stick to their guns on the actual policy. Cruisers beware - time to start following the rules. :eek:

I guess I just don't understand the hullabaloo over one lousy beer. Big deal. Chug it down on the gangway and order one when you're onboard. Regarding the argument about inconsistency. Say, you drive 55 in a 45 mph zone for 20 years and are never caught. Then one day, you're pulled over and given a ticket. Are you actually going to argue with the officer that you've been speeding for twenty years and since they failed to catch you, they give you a ticket now? Doesn't pass the smirk test, I'm afraid.

Awesome!:)

What proof do you need? Our word isn't good enough? Beer hasn't been allowed for years. I've been sailing HAL for a number of years and the rules have been the same for a long time. I can't tell you the year they changed but I can say that it's been a very LONG time. :D As you say, your DH got to drink her beer on the last night so no big deal (at least, it wouldn't be for me) - so, did this ruin your cruise.

How about sharing how your total cruise was? don't let one bottle of beer ruin the wonderful memories that I am sure you got:D

It is true that it has not been allowed. I think he is making a valid point that it is petty to confiscate one single beer. Sure they are in the right but why bother?

I guess I just don't understand the hullabaloo over one lousy beer. Big deal. Chug it down on the gangway and order one when you're onboard. Regarding the argument about inconsistency. Say, you drive 55 in a 45 mph zone for 20 years and are never caught. Then one day, you're pulled over and given a ticket. Are you actually going to argue with the officer that you've been speeding for twenty years and since they failed to catch you, they give you a ticket now? Doesn't pass the smirk test, I'm afraid.

LOVE-It-Button.jpg.eb269e3f613556d182ee6f8b7dbb8fb8.jpg

Joanie

I guess I just don't understand the hullabaloo over one lousy beer. Big deal. Chug it down on the gangway and order one when you're onboard. Regarding the argument about inconsistency. Say, you drive 55 in a 45 mph zone for 20 years and are never caught. Then one day, you're pulled over and given a ticket. Are you actually going to argue with the officer that you've been speeding for twenty years and since they failed to catch you, they can't give you a ticket now? Doesn't pass the smirk test, I'm afraid.

that just about sums it up. Well said:D:D:D

So they allow your one beer to be brought on board, because its just one. The person behind you sees this and decides at the next port they will bring just one beer on board. So on and so forth for all the next ports and the next cruises. Before you know it on my Oosterdam cruise in October 1,900 bottles of beer will be brought on board. :D After all it is just one bottle per passenger, not much for the staff to turn a blind eye to.

On a more serious note, in this day and age with tighter security and more staff accountability, staff are far less 'tolerant' and will enforce the rules more strictly, it is their job on the line after all and I personally don't expect anyone to put their job on the line because I wish to 'bend the rules'.

To the OP, I am not flaming you but I think we are all going to have to adjust our expectations. We can no longer get away with what we used to in the less monitored society of the past.

We have cruised on HAL for 12 years.

On returning to the Ryndam recently my wife had ONE beer confiscated.

They must be getting desperate.

Looks like you and I are in the minority here. I have not read all the responses - bit I am not a HAL cheerleader either. I understand how you feel.

I am not happy about HAL's new policy and do not welcome them enforcing it either. Maybe after a time they will become more relaxed about doing so. It is new after all. Thanks for posting your experience.

We don't drink much and will drink less as a result. We don't cruise HAL that much either, only 2 star ... have cruised HAL though since 1995. There are lots of other cruise options, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL.