New VIP Info.

maggie.1008

But what happens when you throw Royal Caribbean into the mix?

Good question and any answer is speculative. Could argue that the top levels on both lines should not be shared. Diamond + only use RCCL days; Elite + only use X points. Of course this will be heavily debated by people on both sides of the line. Or, you could simply place everyone who meets the criteria on the lifeboats, lower them and let them party.

Good question and any answer is speculative. Could argue that the top levels on both lines should not be shared. Diamond + only use RCCL days; Elite + only use X points.

That would certainly be a change in corporate philosophy and not much incentive for us Baby Boomers and Gen Xers to move over to X.

I bet ~Cruisenut~ would love use of the RCI Concierge Lounge on his upcoming cruises.;)

Edited by Oville

That would certainly be a change in corporate philosophy and not much incentive for us Baby Boomers to move over to X.

I bet ~Cruisenut~ would love use of the RCI Concierge Lounge on his upcoming cruises.;)

He deserves it as a recognition of his loyalty to Celebrity and RCCL. I don't want to be too specific here, but there was a high number Celebrity cruiser who was extended top tier benefits on his first RCCL cruise. The parent Corporation is ultimately benefitted by top cruisers on any of their lines.

Five years ago there was only one couple with over a 100 cruise credits, now there are more than 100 individuals over that mark (Equivalent of Pinnacle at RCI)

The 100+ crowd is growing like a fungus:) Less than a year ago we were told by the head of the Captains Club that there were only 35 with over 100 credit:confused:

And in June when they were trialling this lounge on Infinity 50+ did not make the cut, I think it was 75 that was the cut

I would guess the cut off point for the February 15th Century cruise will be at 100 points! I'll be a bit short, really a newbie in this group, so hope that someone invites me in. I can just see two concentric circles formed in the room with 100 point plus cruisers sitting together and high Suite cruisers sitting together. One who was both a high point cruiser and staying in a high Suite would be in the overlapping area of the circles.

Do you know the hours of this 'special event'? I know my husband will not be happy if he can't access Micheal's for a pre-dinner craft beer on our upcoming Transatlantic!

Michael's was the VIP lounge from 7:00am to 7:00pm. We were selected to participate and do not have 50 cruise credit. The concierge told us that she allowed a VIP couple to bring their cruising companions, another couple, with them. Since the selection of VIP guests is done at corporate, for right now, it's really just speculation as to what the cut off will be.

We don't honestly expect to be selected again and we're OK with that. Anytime you come up with a new program like this, someone is going to be unhappy.

We were on the Infinity Aug 16th. The VIP program set Michael's Club aside from 7:30 - 7:30 (might have been 7:00 - 7:00, I didn't pay much attention). The criteria was higher suites (CS, RS & PS) and the top cruiser, according to Jenny the Captain's Club hostess. It included breakfast (I think it was continental but not sure since I wasn't invited) in the morning, a concierge during the day to assist (seems redundant since those suites have butlers that do the same thing) and a cocktail time like the Elite event. There was also a red carpet beside the boarding line at each port but I never saw anyone go through it.

For what it's worth, I don't see this as an indicator of a new level (or two) in CC . I believe it is an attempt to mimic what RCL gives their higher suites with the Concierge Lounge. That is actually the initial purpose of the lounge. D and D+ C&A members were added later then weeded out as it got too crowded.

I don't see Celebrity straying too far away from the RCL Crown & Anchor model with some elevated Elite level (Elite +?) set at the same as Diamond+ and a new, super-level set at 100 (before conversion to days).

I would agree that RCL and Celebrity need something between D+ and the top tier and 50 is as good a number as any but I would hope it is set slightly lower as we would not reach 50 until after the third leg of our Infinity b2b2b in February/March (but that's just my selfish side talking :rolleyes:).

The challenge is to add some realistic perks without diluting what already exists as that would cause a storm of protest that would send Cruise Critic posters into a frenzy and possibly crash the servers (and probably have absolutely no impact on the changes). :eek:

Edited by bob278

We have now heard from several sources that a VIP can bring a cruising couple with them to the lounge.

Drinks can be removed by attendees as they leave the lounge.

Rumour has it that the Captain's table has been changed to a circular format but I don't know if it's a table for 8 or 10 or if this is a pattern for all ships.

Rumour has it that the Captain's table has been changed to a circular format but I don't know if it's a table for 8 or 10 or if this is a pattern for all ships.

That is interesting since a round table seating the same number would not fit without removing / moving other tables. This would be a MAJOR undertaking since the tables are bolted to the floor. Maybe this is what they did to the Millennium while repairing the Azipod:confused:

I'm going to be on the Infinity for the TA on Oct 24. I'm in a suite, but only an S1, so I may not be invited, but if I am I will let you all know what I find out about the VIP Lounge. Since we don't eat until the 8:30 seating, we usually aren't ready for our "before dinner" cocktails until after 7pm, which is why we never bothered to go to Michaels Club for the Elite gathering. But if we are fortunate enough to be considered VIP, I will make the time to get there.

I'm going to be on the Infinity for the TA on Oct 24. I'm in a suite, but only an S1, so I may not be invited, but if I am I will let you all know what I find out about the VIP Lounge. Since we don't eat until the 8:30 seating, we usually aren't ready for our "before dinner" cocktails until after 7pm, which is why we never bothered to go to Michaels Club for the Elite gathering. But if we are fortunate enough to be considered VIP, I will make the time to get there.

S suites have never been considered under the past VIP unspoken program. I wouldn't expect this to change, but I have no insider info.;):confused:

I have over 350 points with RCCL, but only 7 with X. I'm Elite on X, because of my status with RCCL. I wonder if that will qualify me for the VIP status. When we sail 10/12 I'll be in Sky suite, and then a Celebrity suite on the TA. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have over 350 points with RCCL, but only 7 with X. I'm Elite on X, because of my status with RCCL. I wonder if that will qualify me for the VIP status. When we sail 10/12 I'll be in Sky suite, and then a Celebrity suite on the TA. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Unless RCI and Celebrity share a higher level of reciprocity, Elite at 10+ points equals Diamond and no more. When we travel with RCI our 90 days at RCCL does not take into account our sailing days with Celebrity (Pinnacle Level). There is no special consideration so far for frequent cruisers on the "other" line.

Since VIP level seems to be determined by Miami, a call to "The Boss" may affect your status on board.

Have I been in the dark all these years, about VIP status? I would not qualify but is there a program where "upper levels (suites, #of cruises, etc.)" have been getting VIP service? If so, I would be interested in what it is and who gets it?

I don't feel left out so don't slam me, please. I'm Just curious.

We were on the Infinity Aug 16th. The VIP program set Michael's Club aside from 7:30 - 7:30 (might have been 7:00 - 7:00, I didn't pay much attention). The criteria was higher suites (CS, RS & PS) and the top cruiser, according to Jenny the Captain's Club hostess. It included breakfast (I think it was continental but not sure since I wasn't invited) in the morning, a concierge during the day to assist (seems redundant since those suites have butlers that do the same thing) and a cocktail time like the Elite event. There was also a red carpet beside the boarding line at each port but I never saw anyone go through it.

For what it's worth, I don't see this as an indicator of a new level (or two) in CC . I believe it is an attempt to mimic what RCL gives their higher suites with the Concierge Lounge. That is actually the initial purpose of the lounge. D and D+ C&A members were added later then weeded out as it got too crowded.

I don't see Celebrity straying too far away from the RCL Crown & Anchor model with some elevated Elite level (Elite +?) set at the same as Diamond+ and a new, super-level set at 100 (before conversion to days).

I would agree that RCL and Celebrity need something between D+ and the top tier and 50 is as good a number as any but I would hope it is set slightly lower as we would not reach 50 until after the third leg of our Infinity b2b2b in February/March (but that's just my selfish side talking :rolleyes:).

The challenge is to add some realistic perks without diluting what already exists as that would cause a storm of protest that would send Cruise Critic posters into a frenzy and possibly crash the servers (and probably have absolutely no impact on the changes). :eek:

I am going to have a little rant here. I have done 65 cruises, mostly with RCL and Celebrity but includes most of the "top 10." It amazes me what people get their knickers in a knot about. Booking an expensive suite for an extra point? I do like a balcony but I would rather do two balconies for one suite. For what? A key chain? A bottle of paint remover that is labelled wine? Or umbrella or a drink or two? REALLY? Sure, I do enjoy the D+ concierge lounge to sometimes meet up with old aquaintances but it has astounded me the pages and pages of discussions regarding perks. These perks are WORTH NOTHING compared to the enjoyment that comes out of why you booked the ship in the first place! Surely it's not for the aforementioned trinkets!

I am going to have a little rant here. I have done 65 cruises, mostly with RCL and Celebrity but includes most of the "top 10." It amazes me what people get their knickers in a knot about. Booking an expensive suite for an extra point? I do like a balcony but I would rather do two balconies for one suite. For what? A key chain? A bottle of paint remover that is labelled wine? Or umbrella or a drink or two? REALLY? Sure, I do enjoy the D+ concierge lounge to sometimes meet up with old aquaintances but it has astounded me the pages and pages of discussions regarding perks. These perks are WORTH NOTHING compared to the enjoyment that comes out of why you booked the ship in the first place! Surely it's not for the aforementioned trinkets!

Wait....did I miss a keychain?

I don't think those who book a suite are concerned about the trinkets. Most can afford to buy them, or a bottle of wine.

Everyone has different circumstances. If it is relatively cheap for a person to reach a cruise port and that person has few other cruise-related expenses, multiple cheaper cruises may make the best sense to them. If, on the other hand, it costs someone a great deal to just reach an airport [say as much as some people spend on an ocean view stateroom for a week - let alone then fly to the cruise port] and they have high cruise-related expenses [such as travel insurance which costs more than others spend on a balcony stateroom for 10 days], then it may make sense to cruise less often in a higher price suite. Do not assume that everyone shares your circumstances or why others choose to make different decisions. We are all different.

Sue

Edited by Project_gal