RCCL Drink Package Thumbs Down

If each gets a 1/2 percent, that's 27¢ a day per $55 package. If you have fifty people buying the package on the cruise each should make almost a hundred dollars. Some for doing very little. Also since all adults in a state room must purchase the drink package, each room gets the fifty-five cents a day. If you're tipping extra, a dollar or so you may be tipping around thirty percent when you add together the auto tip with the package and your extra cash tip.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

I think the proper time to address the issue would have been while you were still on board the ship.

If you had a problem with a specific server, I would have confronted that server or asked to speak to his or her supervisor. At least at that point maybe the matter could have been cleared up.

You seem pretty annoyed at the whole situation. Why didn't you speak up and make you feelings known while you were on the ship?

Edited by Zigggypup

I don't usually get a drink package, for me, it is very expensive and you got to deal with those servers and bar tenders.

I only get a drink package if there are coke freestyle machines on the ship and I just get the soda package and it is worth it for the money.

Side from it is dirt cheap at only around $50 for a 7 day sailing, which is less than the $60 tip you paid, you get a nice souvenir cup which you can reuse when you go back home.

And aside from the usual servers and bars, you get to use those coke freestyle machines to completely bypass those servers wanting some tips, on top of getting around 130 different coke products from soft drinks to juice to water variants all cruise long. The powerade are also provides value while working out in the gym or when playing in the sports deck.

I believe the OP is only talking about the premium drink package and that does not include sodas. I have gotten the package and found it worth the price. Everyone is different and for some it is a good deal while for others it is not. I have not had issues with being ignored but this was in February and they were just rolling out the drink packages then. It could be that so many passengers are taking advantage of the deal and it is cutting into their tips. This is not meant as an excuse, but a reason.

Back in April I did the drink package on the Jewel of the Seas and never experienced what the op experienced. In fact during that cruise I felt I had better service. There was one bartender I did give some extra tips to after the 2nd day of the cruise because she was so nice and attentive. I'll be enjoying the drink package a second time in a few weeks on the Allure of the Seas and hope to have a similar experience.

...Worst place is any of the pool bars. The servers that walk around looked the other way once they found out we had the premium package. I tried to order one drink from a server walking around he seen I had the sticker he shook his head and walked away. From that day on I fetched my own drinks from the pool bar. It got to be a chore for the bartender to wait on us even at the bar by the pools. He would wait on others before even looking at me to get me a drink. We learned early on if you tipped extra every single time they would treat you like those with no drink package. I refused to tip the pool bar bar as they were rude and made me feel bad for ordering this package. ...quote]

If you encountered rude and inattentive service, why didn't you speak to an officer? Royal cannot fix an issue if no one lets them know. I can guarantee you that your experience is one that I would not tolerate, and no Manager on the ship would tolerate either.

Is there a limit of drinks a day for the drink package?

We just had this package on liberty barcelona / western med.

We heard it mentioned by a number of bar staff (not directly to us i must say :) ) there is a limit of 1 drink per person every 15 minutes. Some sort of legal responsibility they said.

I wonder if it is maybe specific to Europe?

Also, on tipping, we never saw a single slip to sign on this ship (where we would have taken opportunities to leave tips). Luckily, particularly being british in Europe, we had thought to bring some $10 bills with us for tipping the room steward, so went to guest services and changed some to $1 bills and used these to tip cash.

Service was absolutely fine throughout. We saw no difference at all being made between those with stickers on their cards and those without.

We gravitated towards vintages where the bar staff were very friendly and after a few days were encouraging us with very small taster free samples of some delightful and unusual wine accompanied by tapas.

I spoke to some bar staff who said their additional tips beyond the 15% had all but disappeared - I didn't get into any detailed discussions as to why, but we were perfectly happy to leave some $ cash bills where we thought appropriate. Also, that was the only mechanism available to us.

Hope this helps someone

Paul

I think some of the problems are ship specific.

We have only had the opportunity to purchase the drink package once, on the Majesty, and were extremely pleased with it. We never had issues regarding service.

One tip - if you have any OBC wait until you get on the ship to purchase the package so OBC will be applied against purchase price.

thanks for the report we are going on liberty end of this month for thanksgiving and we are thinking abot getting the drink package hope the service is good

I had the package on Liberty in June. The service was wonderful all the way, and actually the best service I got was at the pool bar.

Another aspect just came to my mind. I don´t know if this is valid for RCI though and regardless it again shouldn´t be an excuse.

On many ships the Servers have to meet certain sale goals to make their salary and part of the tip pool. These goals are set by the ships Management, so it´s not fleet wide and might not even be the same from sailing to sailing.

Now if there is a high Goal for them to meet, every drink from a package served will take their time from selling an individual drink.

The easy fix for this possible scenario is that the staff should get the credit for every drink that they serve whether there is a regular charge or provided to someone with a package.

The OP really should make his feeling known to RCI. That type of treatment is really quite unacceptable. And something probably should have been said while still on the ship.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Sorry to hear your experience. I've had a few surprises on my Seapass account at the end of my cruise once. Seems some of the servers like to add their own extra tips. Had them taken off needless to say.

On Labadee, we had one of the "island specials" for $9.00 plus tip. It appeared the bartender poured at least a couple shots of alcohol into the mixed drink. However, upon drinking it, there was no alcohol at all in my opinion. My GF who ordered the drink said the same thing and she gets tipsy real easy. Neither one of us felt the slightest hint of it.

The diamond lounge on the other hand it good.

Thanks for everyones input. I'm on the Enchantment next Monday and I'm going to get the package. Even if I don't get my moneys worth everyday, it's worth it to me to not have that sticker shock on the last day.

I don't understand. Who cares what the bill is at the end; it's just going to show up on your next credit card statement, just like pre-purchasing the package would when you are only a week out from your cruise. How does paying more upfront than you think you'd ever use make it better:confused:

I've read this before on this board and other boards and I can't wrap my head around it unless there is something pretty obvious that only I am missing (which has been known to happen)

I don't understand. Who cares what the bill is at the end; it's just going to show up on your next credit card statement, just like pre-purchasing the package would when you are only a week out from your cruise. How does paying more upfront than you think you'd ever use make it better:confused:

I've read this before on this board and other boards and I can't wrap my head around it unless there is something pretty obvious that only I am missing (which has been known to happen)

Nope, I am missing it too. So there are two of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMaxwell

I don't understand. Who cares what the bill is at the end; it's just going to show up on your next credit card statement, just like pre-purchasing the package would when you are only a week out from your cruise. How does paying more upfront than you think you'd ever use make it better

Make that 3 of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMaxwell

I don't understand. Who cares what the bill is at the end; it's just going to show up on your next credit card statement, just like pre-purchasing the package would when you are only a week out from your cruise. How does paying more upfront than you think you'd ever use make it better

Make that 3 of us.

I pre-pay as much as I can....including (for the first time) the drink package. It's all very well to say "It's just going to show up on your bill". Yes, but this way I know how much it will be. I don't have to worry about can I buy this? Can I have margarita or should I have a beer. At this point, I *know* that what will be on my bill at the end is a few miscellaneous knick-knacks (maybe) and the deposit for my next cruise. Much easier than mentally trying to track or worry about what I've spent.

I pre-pay as much as I can....including (for the first time) the drink package. It's all very well to say "It's just going to show up on your bill". Yes, but this way I know how much it will be. I don't have to worry about can I buy this? Can I have margarita or should I have a beer. At this point, I *know* that what will be on my bill at the end is a few miscellaneous knick-knacks (maybe) and the deposit for my next cruise. Much easier than mentally trying to track or worry about what I've spent.

I second this Karina^. Wrap your head around this. Even if I only break even on the package, I know exactly how much I will pay for alcohol. I can try drinks that I would not normally try and, if I don't like them, get something else. If a drink is not to my taste, I do not feel obligated to drink it. I do not have to obsess over how much I am spending on alcohol or budget drinks. I go on vacation to avoid stress, not to worry about money. I can buy the package ahead of time and pay it off gradually, rather than having a credit card balance waiting for me at the end of the cruise. Perhaps you understand better now?

Incidentally, I will have no problems breaking even on the package. If you do not want to buy the package, why would you denigrate those who do?

I second this Karina^. Wrap your head around this. Even if I only break even on the package, I know exactly how much I will pay for alcohol. I can try drinks that I would not normally try and, if I don't like them, get something else. If a drink is not to my taste, I do not feel obligated to drink it. I do not have to obsess over how much I am spending on alcohol or budget drinks. I go on vacation to avoid stress, not to worry about money. I can buy the package ahead of time and pay it off gradually, rather than having a credit card balance waiting for me at the end of the cruise. Perhaps you understand better now?

Incidentally, I will have no problems breaking even on the package. If you do not want to buy the package, why would you denigrate those who do?

The person being responded to stated that they would not drink enough to break even. I, however, do not care how anyone else spends his/her own money.

The person being responded to stated that they would not drink enough to break even. I, however, do not care how anyone else spends his/her own money.

Me? I was responding to your (and 2 others) statement about not being able to wrap your heads around pre-paying (at least, that's how I understood it).

If I were pre-paying it out of the same paycheck that all my other costs were coming out of, I would understand the confusion. But, I'm not. I'm pre-paying things out of different paychecks pre-cruise so that at the end, every darned thing I buy drink or visit doesn't come out of one how-much-will-it-wind-up-being-will-I-only-be-eating-spam-for-the-next-month balance at the end of the cruise.

Will we break even on the drink (continuing with this thread) package, I dunno. Will it be close enough that it's one less thing to worry about out of that final bill? Absolutely...or at least as near as I can figure in advance. And, that is what makes pre-paying work...for *me* anyway.

I can make sure everything is already paid for meaning cruise, airfare and excursions. Just my on board purchases are the only thing that will show up on the next CC bill. I would think you could purchase the drink package far enough ahead that you already have it paid off before you step on board??:confused: