Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

[quote name='yogimax']For suite passengers (actually above JS), it doesn't matter if they are on cruise #1 or cruise #5.

The money they paid for that cruise alone gets them access to the CL.

My point is simple... D+ cruisers have, ove the course of years, spent much, much more with RCCL. They have become a constant and stable source of revenue, whereas the suite guest could easily be a one time wonder.[/QUOTE]

Many suite guests and that includes me are not one time wonders and are in fact repeat suite cruisers. On my last 3 cruises in a suite on Independence we have not been able to use the CL because of overcrowding in there at peak times.
No empty seats and a Concierge who is run off his feet.
The problem on Independence is that the CL is way too small for the amount of people entitled to use it. It is a problem that needs to be addressed by RCI as suite passengers pay a lot of money for their perks.
Maybe on some ships with the very small CL maybe relocation of the CL would be the answer to make suite guests and D+ guests able to both use the CL comfortably.Nobody wants to see anyone thrown out just to make the CL usuable by everyone that is entitled to do so.

[quote name='internetwhiz']Thanks for confirming what I thought to be true. The good outweighs the inconveniences with Tapatalk. I just wish there was a way to "unparticipate". This thread in particular has taught me much about the thoughts going on in some people's heads about C and A, and frankly from some, I am just shocked, at a time when little shocks me any more. Just a few thoughts, since this is my last post on this thread:

-I'm absolutely appalled at the disrespect of people for other people. We leave on a cruise in 15 days at the end of which, we will be D+. We are excited about getting to D+, and it has NOTHING to do with "thinking we are better than someone else", "soaking up the resources of the CL" or other comments I have seen here. It provides additional perks that save us money.

-All of you who stay in suites and wish "to banish lowly D+ folks from the CL" while I agree that you should have a special place to go that isn't crowded especially considering the amount of money you pay to stay in those staterooms, no amount of money paid should give you a license to be unkind to others, and I understand that not all suite purchasers hold your disdain for D+ members in the CL. Just some of you are so vocal about it.

In 20 RCCL cruises, I have never felt the need to stay in a GS or above as I would rather spend my money on MORE trips, and some aren't cruises. Our D+ has been mostly earned by staying in promenade to regular balcony rooms on cruises, and the old system of getting a weeks credit for a three night sail was not an option for us due to our location. All I am saying is, we EARNED our perks as well. It took eight years of sailing.

Finally, we won't be "soaking up the resources" in the CL, as the most we have is ONE drink or glass of wine prior or after dinner. We don't use the lounge as an alternative to purchasing an alcohol package.

The final straw for me on this thread was last week when a member posted here about the "near do wells and wanna bes" sailing and told ME I was not in the CC in crowd, that I was a nobody here. Online I found out this person joined CC in the spring of 2013. I don't need a Person new to CC to tell me what my value is here. My value is in helping others and meeting new friends.

I love CC. We have made wonderful friends here and on most threads, have found kind, helpful people with whom we have worked together to enhance our cruise experience, provide and solicit helpful cruise information, and with whom we have planned shore excursions and events. Many of the comments on this thread are not the the CC I know, thank goodness, have not been the opinions of but a handful of cruisers we have met on RC.

And, with that, I have posted my last comment on this thread. Let the bashing of levels in C and A continue, as I'm sure it will, and the superiority of some continue. Honestly, I think it would be futile to hope for anything else here. Bye bye and back to boards where people are interested in helping each other, sharing the common love and excitement of a cruise, and are civil and kind to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well said internetwhiz hope to catch up with you on another thread

[quote name='cruisingator2']And some of those same people that book suites could have cruised as many or more times than you. You have no way of knowing. If there becomes an overcrowding situation in the CL, the D+ will be the first to go.[/quote]

i have a very good friend and she is Pinnacle with over 160 actual cruises and she always stays in a suite. (grand or higher)..

[quote name='cruisingator2']NC= no comment. I actually agreed with JC but decided it would be better if I removed my comments. Some very sensitive folks around here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy. Leave me hanging out there on the edge of the cliff all by myself.

I thought maybe you were just throwing out a "Go Tar Heels" in my honor.

jc:D

[quote name='campbell51']Many suite guests and that includes me are not one time wonders and are in fact repeat suite cruisers. On my last 3 cruises in a suite on Independence we have not been able to use the CL because of overcrowding in there at peak times.
No empty seats and a Concierge who is run off his feet.
The problem on Independence is that the CL is way too small for the amount of people entitled to use it. It is a problem that needs to be addressed by RCI as suite passengers pay a lot of money for their perks.
Maybe on some ships with the very small CL maybe relocation of the CL would be the answer to make suite guests and D+ guests able to both use the CL comfortably.Nobody wants to see anyone thrown out just to make the CL usuable by everyone that is entitled to do so.[/quote]

You indicate a real problem. I know the Voyager Class ships have a very small CL. I haven't been on Independence, but Liberty is the same class. As you say,there are times when these venues are overcrowded... and they are overcrowded for both suites and D+.

Some solution for these ships with smaller CLs needs to be made. On the other hand, there are ships where the CL is more than adequate to accommodate everyone.

Any thought to offering staggered hours of access, depending on dinner times? Edited by yogimax

[quote name='yogimax']You indicate a real problem. I know the Voyager Class ships have a very small CL. I haven't been on Independence, but Liberty is the same class. As you say,there are times when these venues are overcrowded... and they are overcrowded for both suites and D+.

Some solution for these ships with smaller CLs needs to be made. On the other hand, there are ships where the CL is more than adequate to accommodate everyone.

Any thought to offering staggered hours of access, depending on dinner times?[/quote]

Oh my. Was not looking forward to hearing this after being in the CL on the Allure. We are booked in a GS for the first leg of our B2B and if the price is right will upgrade to a GS on the second leg or just stay put and enjoy our first time in the DL.

[quote name='yogimax']You indicate a real problem. I know the Voyager Class ships have a very small CL. I haven't been on Independence, but Liberty is the same class. As you say,there are times when these venues are overcrowded... and they are overcrowded for both suites and D+.

[B]Any thought to offering staggered hours of access, depending on dinner times?[/[/B]quote]

You are correct that overcrowding is a problem of both suite and D+ members and I readily add also D members. And, as you mention the size of the lounges on various class ships also are a factor. Perhaps different lounge sizes may result in different solutions.

To some extent the dining times do already affect the time that people show up in the lounge and also when they leave the lounge. Also, the popularity of My Time Dining and the specialty restaurants, dining times are not as cut and dried as they once were. I sure wouldn't want to be the concierge tasked with the job of telling someone their time was up and that they had to leave the lounge. Staggered hours is an approach but it may reap more trouble than its worth. Edited by Don Pedro

[quote=Don Pedro;40807624solutions.

To some extent the dining times do already affect the time that people show up in the lounge and also when they leave the lounge. Also, the popularity of My Time Dining and the specialty restaurants, dining times are not as cut and dried as they once were. I sure wouldn't want to be the concierge tasked with the job of telling someone their time was up and that they had to leave the lounge. Staggered hours is an approach but it may reap more trouble than its worth.[/quote]

Yes, there would be complications. Another problem which I have witnessed lately (last on Oasis) is people showing up well before the official 5PM opening and grabbing prime seats. Are they suite guests or D+? Who knows? Does it matter? The concierges seem to be silent on this issue, no doubt because of worries over their tips.

[quote name='Colorado Babe']Oh my. Was not looking forward to hearing this after being in the CL on the Allure. We are booked in a GS for the first leg of our B2B and if the price is right will upgrade to a GS on the second leg or just stay put and enjoy our first time in the DL.[/quote]

I see you are booked on Liberty, one of the nicest ships in the fleet!

It also has one of the nicest lounges, right next to the Viking Crown Lounge. There's plenty of light and even an outdoor area.

One doesn't know how crowded the CL will be. The first night tends to be the worst, but I would suggest paying attention to the flow of the crowd between 5 and 6. We have discovered that oftentimes the lounge clears out at about 6PM when a good number of folk head to dinner. Of course, a lot depends on your dinner time, but we often wait until about 5:45 to be there when it empties.

Hope this is helpful!
Yogi Edited by yogimax

We are D+ and lately have booked GS more than JS. This gives me the added pleasure of hating myself and being envious of myself at the same time. Sadly, I don't get double the attention from the concierge. ;) :D :D

If they change CL access and take D+ out, then we will take our carcass to the DL or pay for the GS. We have never really had problems with crowding on our cruises though.

[quote name='yogimax']Yes, there would be complications. Another problem which I have witnessed lately (last on Oasis) is people showing up well before the official 5PM opening and grabbing prime seats. Are they suite guests or D+? Who knows? Does it matter? The concierges seem to be silent on this issue, no doubt because of worries over their tips.[/QUOTE]

This happens all the time. The lounges are open 24 hours so it's not against any written rule. What would you want the concierge to do?

[quote name='bilyclub']This happens all the time. The lounges are open 24 hours so it's not against any written rule. What would you want the concierge to do?[/quote]

Simple solution - close the lounge from 4 to 5. If anyone was that anxious to be first, they would have to wait around over an hour. Edited by yogimax

[quote name='yogimax']Simple soluton - close the lounge from 4 to 5. If anyone was that anxious to be first, they would have to wait around over an hour.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous. Then you have crowds outside the door all fighting to get "their" seat. LOL..... The things that people worry about. Does anyone cruise to actually enjoy the cruise or is it all about the perks?

[quote name='wolfganghowell']We are D+ and lately have booked GS more than JS. This gives me the added pleasure of hating myself and being envious of myself at the same time. Sadly, I don't get double the attention from the concierge. ;) :D :D

If they change CL access and take D+ out, then we will take our carcass to the DL or pay for the GS. We have never really had problems with crowding on our cruises though.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]We have very rarely experienced crowding in the CL. Only a few times. it has always been very pleasant for us. The last cruise we were on in October.....the CL was a ghost town! Must have something to do with the time we go.....which is late. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='cruisingator2']That's ridiculous. Then you have crowds outside the door all fighting to get "their" seat. LOL..... The things that people worry about. Does anyone cruise to actually enjoy the cruise or is it all about the perks?[/quote]

So what's your idea? I promise NOT to respond with pejorative comments or sarcastic smiles:)

[quote name='wolfganghowell']We are D+ and lately have booked GS more than JS. This gives me the added pleasure of hating myself and being envious of myself at the same time. Sadly, I don't get double the attention from the concierge. ;) :D :D

If they change CL access and take D+ out, then we will take our carcass to the DL or pay for the GS. We have never really had problems with crowding on our cruises though.[/quote]

A true love-hate relationship. I'm still laughing. :D

[quote name='cruisingator2']That's ridiculous. Then you have crowds outside the door all fighting to get "their" seat. LOL..... The things that people worry about. Does anyone cruise to actually enjoy the cruise or is it all about the perks?[/quote]
I also think it is funny everytime someone posts about people grabbing seats at 4pm or people staying for 3 hours long. Someone would only know that if they were parked in the chair beside these people or spends 3 hours going in and out policing who if doing what.:rolleyes:

I think the best thing to do is take up a collection so we can buy a gopro camera for each CL. We will then need to set up a schedule of who is going to monitor which ship which weeks. We will need to make sure we pull in as many B2Bers so that it will be easier to coordinate the passing of the camera and the data to be posted in a designated thread on cruise critic.

I really don't see a big deal if someone wants to sit down and drink the whole entire time of Happy Hour. They paid or earned their right and can stay in there as long as they wish. We usually get there at 6:00 p.m. and stay until right before late seating in the MDR or if we book the Speciality Restaraunt (7:00 p.m.). If we booked a GS you better believe we will utilize as much of the perks as we can. That's why we paid the extra $$$.

[quote name='cruisingator2']That's ridiculous. Then you have crowds outside the door all fighting to get "their" seat. LOL..... The things that people worry about. Does anyone cruise to actually enjoy the cruise or is it all about the perks?[/QUOTE]

i think for many it is the perks. :D Plus the prime seat (someone let me know which one it is so I can sit in it for moment) seems to be very desired. Then having the concierge or the bartender talk to you and only you. :D

Personally, for me I used to dread the bartender on the Mariner of the Seas for the nightly diamond event a few years ago. I got to hear every moment of his life. Kind of like a co-worker who used to tell me every single golf shot of his last round where he on a good day broke 100. Shoot me now, please.:eek::D

jc

[quote name='reallyitsmema']I also think it is funny everytime someone posts about people grabbing seats at 4pm or people staying for 3 hours long. Someone would only know that if they were parked in the chair beside these people or spends 3 hours going in and out policing who if doing what.:rolleyes:

I think the best thing to do is take up a collection so we can buy a gopro camera for each CL. We will then need to set up a schedule of who is going to monitor which ship which weeks. We will need to make sure we pull in as many B2Bers so that it will be easier to coordinate the passing of the camera and the data to be posted in a designated thread on cruise critic.[/QUOTE]

Really like!:D

jc

[quote name='yogimax']Simple solution - close the lounge from 4 to 5. If anyone was that anxious to be first, they would have to wait around over an hour.[/quote]

OMG I'm having a vision of passengers trying to maneuver through the hallway traffic trying to get to and from the staterooms because of the line at the CL door!!!:eek::p

[quote name='topnole']Been diamond for a while and will be D+ relatively soon. Only had a Grand Suite once on Navigator but the CL was horribly crowded on that cruise and the C had no to time for us at all. It was a bit disappointing to pay the big bucks for a GS and feel like that. Didn't book it for the CL perks but it was bothersome to feel crowded out by D+ guests given how much money we were spending for the perk. Even when I reach D+ I could live with suite guests having their own CL on the ships with smaller CL lounges. Oasis class is a much bigger CL so perhaps no need there but on the smaller CL size ships I can see it. Just my two cents.[/quote]

Generally speaking, if we need the Concierge's assistance with something, we go during his or her morning hours. It's usually empty or nearly so.

[quote name='Colorado Babe']I really don't see a big deal if someone wants to sit down and drink the whole entire time of Happy Hour. They paid or earned their right and can stay in there as long as they wish. We usually get there at 6:00 p.m. and stay until right before late seating in the MDR or if we book the Speciality Restaraunt (7:00 p.m.). If we booked a GS you better believe we will utilize as much of the perks as we can. That's why we paid the extra $$$.[/quote]

There's a saying that just because you can doesn't mean that you should. Most CLs and DLs aren't large enough to accommodate all of the passengers entitled to use it, and in my opinion, it's piggish and selfish to take up a seat for 3+ hours when one knows there are people who can't get in and get a seat. We've seen that happen time and time again - we gave up going to the DL on Liberty a couple of years ago because people were parked in there, leaving only long enough to stuff their faces in the WJ and then coming back to the seats that their friends had saved for them. Then the friends would go for their time at the trough.

Yes, I've enjoyed getting to know my fellow frequent floaters over the past few years, but we have found that we like it on the outside just fine - we've met some nice newbie cruisers in the Champagne and Schooner Bars on most ships, and aren't sucked into games of How Important am I to Royal Caribbean - we just get to know each other a little bit. And sometimes we like to have a drink just the two of us alone in the crowd. It's nice to have a Concierge to troubleshoot for us, but we can go during off peak hours.

I would like to see some kind of beverage benefit that gets richer as one moves up the ranks - start with Gold getting a free nightly drink, Platinum gets a two, Emerald gets three, etc. Include alcohlic and non-alcoholic drinks. Include package discounts that get richer up to free for Pinnacle. Let D/D+/PC have access to a Concierge during the day (have early afternoon hours for that purpose instead of just the morning and evening), for reservations clogged toilets and other issues and drink elsewhere day and night.

I don't see it as slamming the door on anybody - the lounges are too crowded on many occasions and RCI has to do something before the deep-pocketed passengers move on to other lines. Many people have posted on this thread that they don't have more than 1-2 drinks anyway, so it shouldn't matter if they "only" get 3. And many Pinnacles don't (or shouldn't, anyway) drink the way they did in their youth, so the unlimited feature isn't likely to be more than what the lower levels are getting in reality. It'll just make us feel more special.:p

[quote name='reallyitsmema']I also think it is funny everytime someone posts about people grabbing seats at 4pm or people staying for 3 hours long. Someone would only know that if they were parked in the chair beside these people or spends 3 hours going in and out policing who if doing what.:rolleyes:

I think the best thing to do is take up a collection so we can buy a gopro camera for each CL. We will then need to set up a schedule of who is going to monitor which ship which weeks. We will need to make sure we pull in as many B2Bers so that it will be easier to coordinate the passing of the camera and the data to be posted in a designated thread on cruise critic.[/quote]

I made the horrendous mistake of suggesting to another CC member who had asked for tips on DL or CL etiquette that he shouldn't park his tookus there for the full 3 hours out of consideration for fellow eligible guests. Oh boy wow! I'll never ever ever suggest that again on this site. You'd have thought I kicked someone's dog. :rolleyes: