Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

We will be cruising on Majesty over Thanksgiving weekend...and one of the reasons we choose the cabin we have, is because there is a 'repeater' outside our cabin...it makes for wonderful internet from our room.

Enjoy!! How were you able to find out about the repeater?

Teddie

Enjoy!! How were you able to find out about the repeater?

Teddie

It was quite by accident. We were upgraded to this cabin on our 3rd RCCL cruise, which was our second time cruising on Majesty. Viola, outside our room, we noticed the repeater; DH asked our cabin steward, who told us, we will have great internet from the area of the ship our cabin was in...and we did.

We like the cabin also because it is on deck 9, and close to the gym (which is one deck up).

We normally book cabins with balcony's; but on MOS, only suites have balcony's and it seems like a lot for 3 or 4 day cruise. So an upgrade was from Deck 4 to deck 9; this upgrade came with an unexpected benefit!!!

Did the survey as folks opinions regarding the voucher system?

From reading previous posts, it appears that different people got different surveys. My survey did not mention vouchers, but I did bring them up in the comment section. (I prefer the lounges, I don't think its all about the drinks.)

I'd like to see OCEANVIEW discounts for C&A members. The balcony discount would remain, but a nominal discount could be applied for members on Oceanview cabins.

Think about it from RCI perspective; if a higher ranked C&A member finds an OV room acceptable and can be enticed in to one with a modest discount that leaves a balcony or higher room open to potentially be filled by someone not meeting the requirements to get the big balcony discount. At least, in my opinion, that's ONE way to look at it to make it make sense for the business.

There are a lot of little changes C&A could make to save money and enhance member benefits. The welcome amenity...are you kidding me? Prepacked cookies in an expensive shrinkwrapped box with even more filling, padding, and junk? Just do away with it. The beverage is a nice touch though. But save a few $$ here and there where people really won't miss it and use that to keep the things members love and subsidize new enticements and discounts.

D+ heads will burst if they are kicked out of CL and the ship doesn't have a DL. You'll hear them moaning all over the ship in every bar there is. Not good for RCI. I see the point though that the CL is a suite perk and suite guests are buying THAT particular perk, D+ is simply being afford complimentary perks based on loyalty. They are really two different things, I understand.

I think they should move the drink vouchers OFF of the 5-8pm from your card and make it anytime of the day. Give 1 drink to emeralds, 3 to diamond, 4 to D+; and then kick D+ out of the CL. With the freedom to use the drinks at any point in the day everyone will have the opportunity to disperse more and not clog the lounges...hopefully. Emeralds get a taste of the good life (you give people a drink a day and they'll be hooked for life).

It's not the worst idea ever.

Here's a new Pinnacle perk to consider; cabin entry ready at boarding (if that doesn't exist already). Carnival will sell that perk to a first time group in a 1A cabin for $50. It is called Faster to the Fun and. It sounded like a dubious money grab at first, but it does get people into their rooms to drop luggage two hours early (amongst other "perks" that have proven to be of varying value). Room stewards know who is in what cabin and are assigned to fully turn over certain cabins first. Carnival only sells a handful of these to keep it manageable. I'm sure if RCI did the same they'd make a nice little $$ grab. A bunch of higher up CCL cruisers are ticked that for $50 someone can buy "status" but the fact of the matter is all those $50 a pop cabins with FTTF are subsidizing part of what is given to loyalty guests.

This is just a way for RCI to provide a free perk to high C&A members at low or no cost, and offer a similar benefit to anyone willing to pay up for it. If RCI charged $50 and could sell 100 cabins on this feature per sailing that's an extra $5K in revenue that will cost them very little to administer.

The business can't sustain giving out the perks unless it makes judicious cuts and increases revenue.

Edited by LMaxwell

I got this today also. It is the same survey someone reported getting earlier in this thread after they e-mailed C&A about this topic.

I received it and there was questions about reserved seating in the section ' pick favorate and non favorite'. Wonder what is up:)

I'd like to see OCEANVIEW discounts for C&A members. The balcony discount would remain, but a nominal discount could be applied for members on Oceanview cabins.

Think about it from RCI perspective; if a higher ranked C&A member finds an OV room acceptable and can be enticed in to one with a modest discount that leaves a balcony or higher room open to potentially be filled by someone not meeting the requirements to get the big balcony discount. At least, in my opinion, that's ONE way to look at it to make it make sense for the business.

There are a lot of little changes C&A could make to save money and enhance member benefits. The welcome amenity...are you kidding me? Prepacked cookies in an expensive shrinkwrapped box with even more filling, padding, and junk? Just do away with it. The beverage is a nice touch though. But save a few $$ here and there where people really won't miss it and use that to keep the things members love and subsidize new enticements and discounts.

D+ heads will burst if they are kicked out of CL and the ship doesn't have a DL. You'll hear them moaning all over the ship in every bar there is. Not good for RCI. I see the point though that the CL is a suite perk and suite guests are buying THAT particular perk, D+ is simply being afford complimentary perks based on loyalty. They are really two different things, I understand.

I think they should move the drink vouchers OFF of the 5-8pm from your card

and make it anytime of the day. Give 1 drink to emeralds, 3 to diamond, 4 to D+; and then kick D+ out of the CL. With the freedom to use the drinks at any point in the day everyone will have the opportunity to disperse more and not clog the lounges...hopefully. Emeralds get a taste of the good life (you give people a drink a day and they'll be hooked for life).

Here's a new Pinnacle perk to consider; cabin entry ready at boarding (if that doesn't exist already). Carnival will sell that perk to a first time group in a 1A cabin for $50. It is called Faster to the Fun and. It sounded like a dubious money grab at first, but it does get people into their rooms to drop luggage two hours early (amongst other "perks" that have proven to be of varying value). Room stewards know who is in what cabin and are assigned to fully turn over certain cabins first. Carnival only sells a handful of these to keep it manageable. I'm sure if RCI did the same they'd make a nice little $$ grab. A bunch of higher up CCL cruisers are ticked that for $50 someone can buy "status" but the fact of the matter is all those $50 a pop cabins with FTTF are subsidizing part of what is given to loyalty guests.

This is just a way for RCI to provide a free perk to high C&A members at low or no cost, and offer a similar benefit to anyone willing to pay up for it. If RCI charged $50 and could sell 100 cabins on this feature per sailing that's an extra $5K in revenue that will cost them very little to administer.

The business can't sustain giving out the perks unless it makes judicious cuts and increases revenue.

Some good ideas here. As a D+ I am expecting changes. But to me, prices are still a good value. I expect to retain most of what is important to me. If they can save money getting rid of some of the smaller things…what can I say? They are, after all in it to make money.

I think they should move the drink vouchers OFF of the 5-8pm from your card and make it anytime of the day. Give 1 drink to emeralds, 3 to diamond, 4 to D+; and then kick D+ out of the CL. With the freedom to use the drinks at any point in the day everyone will have the opportunity to disperse more and not clog the lounges...hopefully. Emeralds get a taste of the good life (you give people a drink a day and they'll be hooked for life).

you have a few good ideas here but IMHO i feel 3 drink vouchers would be more than enough for both dia & dia+. let emerald earn their drink vouchers as the dia folks did. don't use the term "kicked out", the wording "denied access" sounds so much better.

also i was on one ship (i believe the Freedom) and the stateroom attendants had the pinnacle rooms ready at 11am. so this is being tested.

changes are coming and we all must accept them. as we know RCL makes and has the right to change the rules. My wife and I love cruising with RCL and we would stay loyal to royal even with different rules. Happy Cruisin

Edited by phish tales

you have a few good ideas here but IMHO i feel 3 drink vouchers would be more than enough for both dia & dia+. let emerald earn their drink vouchers as the dia folks did. don't use the term "kicked out", the wording "denied access" sounds so much better.

also i was on one ship (i believe the Freedom) and the stateroom attendants had the pinnacle rooms ready at 11am. so this is being tested.

changes are coming and we all must accept them. as we know RCL makes and has the right to change the rules. My wife and I love cruising with RCL and we would stay loyal to royal even with different rules. Happy Cruisin

On a cruise this year I read on a sign that you posted on your stateroom door that you are PINNACLE. If so, as Pinnacle you will probably not be affected by any changes. Therefore, I discount your suggestions for tiers "below" your ranking.

Having sailed the TransAtlantic on the Independence and being subjected to the 3-drink coupons (on my sea pass card) I saw first hand the problems caused in the lounge by a 3-drink limit.

Edited by beachnative

another scenerio... diamonds get vouchers.. diamond plus get the diamond lounge and the CL lounge for suite and pinnacle....that should thin things out a bit...

personally, I enjoy the private lounges vs. the bars.. feels, more clubby and I enjoy getting to know people that you see each nite...

Having sailed the TransAtlantic on the Independence and being subjected to the 3-drink coupons (on my sea pass card) I saw first hand the problems caused in the lounge by a 3-drink limit.

The key words-'in the lounge' that will probably be changed to 3 drink vouchers and no lounge access for diamonds.

On a cruise this year I read on a sign that you posted on your stateroom door that you are PINNACLE. If so, as Pinnacle you will probably not be affected by any changes. Therefore, I discount your suggestions for tiers "below" your ranking.

WOW beachnative, what does my status (that I earned as everyone does) have to do with my opinion.

sounds a little harsh to me.

if i offended you, I am sorry.

That was on a May sailing that they booked it.

I read the "announcement" that there would not be a Diamonds in December event on CC in June. Some reported receiving emails, but we did not. Bottom line, I believe, is the person who told us in April did so in good faith. It was never in written form that we would receive triple points so we had no recourse. While not happy about it, we understand things do change. We will earn those 11 hoped for points on a future cruise.

Since it appears your friends are not CC participants, be kind and let them know. They can call their travel agent or a Royal to inquire. I would be grateful if a friend let me know before we sailed and, hopefully, they will be also. Had I not read about it in CC, I would have been very disappointed next month!

IF they confirm that they really are earning triple points, please let us know how.

DH and I are loyal to Royal, because we have had GREAT vacations when we have cruised with them. We might have GREAT vacations if we cruised on another line, but Royal so far has given me NO reason to look elsewhere, and their on board perks, only add something, but won't change my feeling.

As a business I know they must keep addressing the bottom line...but one 'perk they could EASILY do away with' is the prepackaged cookies in the shrinkwrapped box -- simply don't need it. I can only imagine the $$ that would save, and it won't impact my cruise fun one iota.

We are Diamonds and enjoy the perks we get such as Priority Boarding...that just makes arrival nicer and a little easier. What we look forward to when we get to Diamond + is the priority seating in the theater; we are not drinkers, so if they gave us 3 drink coupons that we could use anywhere, we probably would have the same 1 drink per day we have now. It could thin out the attendance in the designated DL, when there are a lot of Diamonds on board. I like the lounge as a way to meet others, but I meet people wherever I go -- if you are within 3 feet of me, I say hello -- so I meet people from the moment I get on board.

Royal will change what they feel they need to change. It probably won't change my loyalty to them, unless they have less entertainment and activities -- which I don't expect will happen -- that would hurt the brand, not just the loyalty program.

WOW beachnative, what does my status (that I earned as everyone does) have to do with my opinion.

sounds a little harsh to me.

if i offended you, I am sorry.

You in NO way offended me. I probably would have agreed with you on a 3-drink voucher system had I not experienced such a system while on the ID this month.

I just find it interesting that a Pinnacle proposes cuts in CL lounge entrance, convenience, as well as drink limits for those who ("have earned as everyone does") are not Pinnacle….especially when suggesting the additional benefit of a free drink package for Pinnacles….. Just saying.

Edited by beachnative

I like the lounge as a way to meet others, but I meet people wherever I go -- if you are within 3 feet of me, I say hello -- so I meet people from the moment I get on board.

LIKE!!!:D

Really-you don't need a DL to meet people on board.

another scenerio... diamonds get vouchers.. diamond plus get the diamond lounge and the CL lounge for suite and pinnacle....that should thin things out a bit...

personally, I enjoy the private lounges vs. the bars.. feels, more clubby and I enjoy getting to know people that you see each nite...

Then you're effectively kicking Diamonds out of the Diamond Lounge, which makes no sense. I know this was batted around about 10 pages ago. Does RCI really want to send that message to Diamonds after kicking them out of the CL a few short years ago? I highly doubt it, but of course don't have any inside information or insight into RCI's corporate deliberations.

Then you're effectively kicking Diamonds out of the Diamond Lounge, which makes no sense. I know this was batted around about 10 pages ago. Does RCI really want to send that message to Diamonds after kicking them out of the CL a few short years ago? I highly doubt it, but of course don't have any inside information or insight into RCI's corporate deliberations.

Actually I think that it could happen. With Celebrity's updated program, Elite are no longer having their nightly cocktail hour in Michaels Club. The updated program now states a nightly cocktail hour. Even though there is no CL on Celebrity they did reduce and make changes in this area. I can see RCI doing the same thing.

It was reported that 3 drinks in regular bars, but no limit or tracking within Diamond Lounge. Is that not the way it happened?:confused:

jc