The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

No, you obviously don't know what loyalty is. Four Celebrity cruises?? Really? You really think the revenue department looks at your cruise history and says, "Hey, there's a loyal customer!" Not in this lifetime. Do you have potential? Maybe. You are EXACTLY why they changed the system. I have a friend that has four Celebrity cruises also. All of them are longer than 12 nights and all were in a Royal Suite. Is he considered a loyal customer yet? No. Is he mad they changed the tiers? No.

That is four cruises after completing a B2B soon, so only two so far.

Thursday Dec 5 ,2014 we received in the mail the entire explanation in a Celebrity brochure about all the tier benefits & how to accumulate the new points . ;)

Seems to be very comprehensive & easy to understand ;). what we didn't know is that when achieving Zenith level there is a free 7 night cruise in a regular veranda cabin plus all the other Zenith extras;) . Albeit it takes 3000 points to arrive at Zenith & the only way for us would be booking high end suites ;which imo is not worth paying that extensive premium. We are just 60 points away from Elite + level & that will be it for us:D

The reason I posted my question was because I was not sure if anyone was in the same situation - and if Celebrity made any arraignments for it.

I would assume that they created the conversion for the vast majority to retain the same status (or higher) with the new system. For most people it worked in their favor. I sailed in some of the highest categories Celebrity in terms of points for long cruises.

It would seem most fair that they use the conversion of past sailings into points in the new system. If that was not possible then offering to retroactively awarding points.

Overall I think the new system is fantastic - the benefits are great. I just feel that it didn't balance equally at the end in my situation.

Thank you for your thoughts.

When we booked our b/b cruise well over a year ago, we had previously done a 7 day cruise in Concierge and a 14 day cruise in a balcony cabin so had a total of 4 credits. Looking ahead at that the time of the "new" booking in Concierge I realized that at the completion of these two cruises we would have 8 credits and then would only need one more cruise achieve the Elite plateau of 10 credits. It came a complete surprise to me to learn just recently through our roll calls that the loyalty program had changed so I came to this thread to find out what had happened . What I have learned is that instead of the previous 7 days we needed in Concierge to achieve Elite we now need 21 days in Concierge, an increase of some 200% and have cried "foul". This reaction of mine seems to dismay of some other folks who are Elite or higher and think the changes are wonderful and how dare anyone suggest anything to the contrary....after all we don't want any riffraff, Princess interlopers in our august group.

When we booked our b/b cruise well over a year ago, we had previously done a 7 day cruise in Concierge and a 14 day cruise in a balcony cabin so had a total of 4 credits. Looking ahead at that the time of the "new" booking in Concierge I realized that at the completion of these two cruises we would have 8 credits and then would only need one more cruise achieve the Elite plateau of 10 credits. It came a complete surprise to me to learn just recently through our roll calls that the loyalty program had changed so I came to this thread to find out what had happened . What I have learned is that instead of the previous 7 days we needed in Concierge to achieve Elite we now need 21 days in Concierge, an increase of some 200% and have cried "foul". This reaction of mine seems to dismay of some other folks who are Elite or higher and think the changes are wonderful and how dare anyone suggest anything to the contrary....after all we don't want any riffraff, Princess interlopers in our august group.

I don't think anyone called anyone riffraff nor is every one that disagrees with you Elite. I'm Select and I think Celebrity did a great job with the new program. When they start making exceptions, where do they stop. Do they make exceptions for those that have paid for cruises, then what happens to those that have booked cruises, since they had the same expectations. How about those that are close to select, shouldn't they then be given an exception and then you have those close to Elite+ and then those that are close to Zenith. Just where does Celebrity drawn the line, because no matter where they draw it, there will be some unhappy customers. Celebrity changed the program and the majority seem to think that it is fair, even though some of us were further away from the next tier than our booked cruises would have made us or some have to take a few more cruises to get to the next tier.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't think anyone called anyone riffraff nor is every one that disagrees with you Elite. I'm Select and I think Celebrity did a great job with the new program. When they start making exceptions, where do they stop. Do they make exceptions for those that have paid for cruises, then what happens to those that have booked cruises, since they had the same expectations. How about those that are close to select, shouldn't they then be given an exception and then you have those close to Elite+ and then those that are close to Zenith. Just where does Celebrity drawn the line, because no matter where they draw it, there will be some unhappy customers. Celebrity changed the program and the majority seem to think that it is fair, even though some of us were further away from the next tier than our booked cruises would have made us or some have to take a few more cruises to get to the next tier.

Looks like we are in the same boat.:D

Thursday Dec 5 ,2014 we received in the mail the entire explanation in a Celebrity brochure about all the tier benefits & how to accumulate the new points . ;)

Seems to be very comprehensive & easy to understand ;). what we didn't know is that when achieving Zenith level there is a free 7 night cruise in a regular veranda cabin plus all the other Zenith extras;) . Albeit it takes 3000 points to arrive at Zenith & the only way for us would be booking high end suites ;which imo is not worth paying that extensive premium. We are just 60 points away from Elite + level & that will be it for us:D

This is an unpublished benefit that they have had for many years. You only received it if you knew about it from others and contacted the Captains Club after crossing 100 credits........

Hi All, I have been reading previous posts with interest. Like some of you I wasn't happy with changes made to Celebrity Captains Club and feel should have started from 1st January 2014 - new program, new year!!!

I am from Australia and we don't get fantastic last minute deals on short cruises, where I've heard how easy was for some to get to Elite after only couple short cruises in Concierge cabin and no long expensive flights like us Aussies have to do for those last minute cheap Caribbean cruises. I have cruised 4times with Celebrity, 2x14nights South America, 1x15night Fort Lauderdale/Rome and 1x12night Rome/Venice. I travel solo, having lost my husband few years ago in car accident, so book either inside or outside cabins. After these cruises I had 8credits and am cruising Solstice 10December, next Tuesday for 12nights which would have made me Elite. I have 2 future Constellation cruises booked for next October and November. With converting credits to points, I have 265, includes 25bonus points, but after Solstice cruise, short 11points for Elite, but will be Elite next October. I am Elite with Princess and believe their Loyalty program fairer to everyone than Celebrities as no matter what cabin category, everyone gets 1point for every day cruised. Yes, does take many cruises, but not discriminated against for having only inside or outside cabin. Elite get free laundry, mini bar set up and depending on cruise length, free internet. On my recent 15night cruise this was 500minutes. I look forward to being Celebrity Elite but now book cruises for price and itinerary. Wendy:)

Does anyone know if the cocktail hour(s) will be in separate lounges for Elite and Elite + or will it be held in one lounge? I thought crowding was one of the reasons to add new levels. I see that Zenith is in a separate lounge but I doubt there will be more than a small handful on any cruise.

Does anyone know if the cocktail hour(s) will be in separate lounges for Elite and Elite + or will it be held in one lounge? I thought crowding was one of the reasons to add new levels. I see that Zenith is in a separate lounge but I doubt there will be more than a small handful on any cruise.

Think there will be an invitation (discreet) to a few hand selected 'high points' Elite Plus guests.

Feelings in the longer term:

1. Elite+ will get the Lounge (17.00 to 20.30 hours a la RCL), while Elites will get vouchers - Assumed congestion problem solved

2. Also think this may apply to RCL where D's will be kicked out of the DL, and D+ kicked out of the CL - All assumed congestion problems solved

Just my personal opinion;)

Think there will be an invitation (discreet) to a few hand selected 'high points' Elite Plus guests.

Feelings in the longer term:

1. Elite+ will get the Lounge (17.00 to 20.30 hours a la RCL), while Elites will get vouchers - Assumed congestion problem solved

2. Also think this may apply to RCL where D's will be kicked out of the DL, and D+ kicked out of the CL - All assumed congestion problems solved

Just my personal opinion;)

In the brochure where it lists the benefits for each tier, "Captain's Club Cocktail Hour" is checked for both Elite and Elite plus, which would lead me to believe it's not just vouchers (except on sailings where there are too many as they've already been handling it). In a separate place in the little brochure it says "elite plus is now closer than you think" and in the list of benefits under that it says "Complimentary Captain's Club Cocktail hour" as if that wasn't a benefit for the tier below it. It's a bit confusing.

I was hoping if someone who has sailed under these new tiers could let me know what the real deal is regarding the cocktail hour.

Hopefully there will be a separate Elite Plus SKY lounge each evening for cocktails and vouchers usable anywhere else on the ship for Elites. The SKY lounge was simply not designed to seat 700+ passengers. A nightly cocktail period for 150-250 Elite Plus will be a welcome return to the atmosphere for which the SKY lounge was originally designed. Of all the possible changes for the new Captain's Club program this was the one most needed.

There is nothing elegant or enjoyable about long lines forming 1/2 hour before the SKY lounge opens each evening and passengers running and elbowing their way to seating when the doors opened at 5 PM. Celebrity should absolutely take this opportunity to return the evening SKY lounge cocktail hours to its original design capacity and intent.

In the brochure where it lists the benefits for each tier, "Captain's Club Cocktail Hour" is checked for both Elite and Elite plus, which would lead me to believe it's not just vouchers (except on sailings where there are too many as they've already been handling it). In a separate place in the little brochure it says "elite plus is now closer than you think" and in the list of benefits under that it says "Complimentary Captain's Club Cocktail hour" as if that wasn't a benefit for the tier below it. It's a bit confusing.

I was hoping if someone who has sailed under these new tiers could let me know what the real deal is regarding the cocktail hour.

Interesting take on the wordings.

Could be a thought that, in the longer term, the Elite hour will be just vouchers or 25/50% drinks discount between 17.00 and 19.00, while E+ will get the Lounge with complimentary drinks and nibbles, with time extended to 20.30

Hopefully there will be a separate Elite Plus SKY lounge each evening for cocktails and vouchers usable anywhere else on the ship for Elites. The SKY lounge was simply not designed to seat 700+ passengers. A nightly cocktail period for 150-250 Elite Plus will be a welcome return to the atmosphere for which the SKY lounge was originally designed. Of all the possible changes for the new Captain's Club program this was the one most needed.

There is nothing elegant or enjoyable about long lines forming 1/2 hour before the SKY lounge opens each evening and passengers running and elbowing their way to seating when the doors opened at 5 PM. Celebrity should absolutely take this opportunity to return the evening SKY lounge cocktail hours to its original design capacity and intent.

Well said!

Hopefully there will be a separate Elite Plus SKY lounge each evening for cocktails and vouchers usable anywhere else on the ship for Elites.

What venue/bar would you suggest they use for this event? Micheal's club is taken up by the zenith/VIP folks and the only other bar where you can limit access is the sky lounge (constellation lounge) which is too large for the smaller number of elite+ folks.

My guess is that Celebrity would do what you request, but there is no bar they could close off for that event.

I think when the vouchers were introduced (on cruises where there are many Elites) the crowding has been alleviated because people had the option of going to the Sky Lounge or just getting their drinks elsewhere on the ship. It seems that enough people chose to just their their (complimentary) drinks elsewhere to solve the overcrowding problem.

And to all the people who are incensed about the changes in the Captain's Club program can I add some sanity.

All that's changed are some benefits - the overall experience is the same.

For those that choose to sail Celebrity - all the things that caused you to make this choice are the same.

It's just an incentive program that has changed (and yes, we, too are further way from "moving on up" in those benefits).

Actually, personally, I'm more upset that I can no longer get my fresh tuna steak in the Aqua Spa cafe than I am about losing free drinks, internet or dry cleaning since I can choose to pay for those but I can't find that tuna anywhere on the ship at any price for my lunches.

Please folks - RELAX - it's supposed to be about vacations!

I believe the cocktail hour will become of bit of a red herring in the perks as I believe X it trying to migrate towards a more inclusive line like they have done with Azamara.

Celebrity going forward wants the drinkers to take the packages and pay more upfront for the cruises including the grats.

The 123 has gone worldwide, for the drinkers the classic package is the best value option, the non/low drinkers will take the grats and/or OBC.

The PAYG go drinkers will find the beverage prices going up, they are already very expensive.

On our 13n trip seeing a sign slip going across a bar was a rare sight.

It will be interesting to hear from those returning from current cruises where changes were put into effect and upcoming cruises where "lounge" or benefit changes may be refined. On our recent Eclipse cruise from Nov. 16-30 when changes were announced but not implemented yet, the voucher system was in place to use at many lounges including the Elite lounge. We have only gone to the Elite afternoon lounge a couple times in the years since implemented due to the unpleasantness mentioned above and the noise and crowding that result.

What would make good business sense to Celebrity regarding a designated lounge, equipping, staffing, drink limits, etc. and still satisfy the Elite & Elite+ guests? Does the voucher system alleviate the stress and volume in the Elite lounge? Likely many Elite+ guests will want a designated lounge that includes their friends and family members also at the Elite level. And other members will prefer the flexibility of the vouchers to be used throughout the ship where they can enjoy time with non-Elite/Elite+ family members and friends, have a non-alcohol drink, and carry a drink to dinner. As newly "minted" ;) Elite + members, we prefer the vouchers for flexibility purposes I mentioned but recognize that some will want a designated lounge just for Elite+ and others for both Elite & Elite +.

I did hear from a reliable Celebrity person onboard our recent Eclipse cruise last week that the drink vouchers "could be the wave of the future" especially if they are coded on the sea pass card in the future.

Kathy

Do people really do that for a couple of free drinks? Life is too short for that, I'll just buy them at a convenient location.

Do people really do that for a couple of free drinks? Life is too short for that, I'll just buy them at a convenient location.

We've only been Elite level for our last two cruises. One was a summer 12 night Med and the other a Christmas cruise from San Juan. In both cases, there were very few Elite cruisers onboard. The Med cocktail hour was in Sky Lounge, and the Summit's in Michaels. Both venues were quite roomy; plenty of empty seats. Same for the breakfasts.

We appreciate the Elite perks provided (at no added cost) by Celebrity. We've been able to cruise only once a year, so it took quite a while to cross the threshold. However, we were equally appreciative with the Select perks when they were made available to us. They owe me nothing more than a good vacation value for my money, and consistently deliver. For that, I am loyal.

I suppose it would bother me some if the goalposts were moved, and I was close to scoring. But we've cruised other lines for various reasons, and always feel most at home when we are with Celebrity. However long it takes to get there, the trips along the way are quite bearable.

If I found a 1/2 hour line for a cocktail, I'd find another place to drink, and probably a different week to cruise next time.

If I found a 1/2 hour line for a cocktail, I'd find another place to drink, and probably a different week to cruise next time.

The 1/2 hour wait I referred to was the line to enter the SKY Lounge at 5 PM - not to get your drink served. Once you were in the lounge drink service is usually quite prompt. When the lounge was overcrowded with 500+ members the 1/2 hour line would frequently form so that groups who wanted to sit together could get seating once the lounge opened. With the constant increase in Elite Members (under the old system) the shortage of seating was becoming worse with each cruise. Hopefully with the addition of the Elite Plus category the numbers in the SKY Lounge will decline and become more manageable and realistic and the nightly 1/2 hour wait time (to open) will no longer be necessary.

[

The 1/2 hour wait I referred to was the line to enter the SKY Lounge at 5 PM - not to get your drink served. Once you were in the lounge drink service is usually quite prompt. When the lounge was overcrowded with 500+ members the 1/2 hour line would frequently form so that groups who wanted to sit together could get seating once the lounge opened. With the constant increase in Elite Members (under the old system) the shortage of seating was becoming worse with each cruise. Hopefully with the addition of the Elite Plus category the numbers in the SKY Lounge will decline and become more manageable and realistic and the nightly 1/2 hour wait time (to open) will no longer be necessary.

Again, the weeks we cruise don't seem to be at issue for crowding. I hope they don't segregate the "Elite+" for the lounge. On a holiday sailing, you will be lonely.

There appears to be a high percentage of Members who prefer using vouchers in other lounges, so having this option and the Sky Lounge may spread the crowd and keep the lounge party (which I prefer) available for the Elites as well. I promise to shower first.

Edited by Sailawaytoday
Clarity

Putter, we all understand your specific situation. What some of us are trying to say and what Celebrity has already said is, it was too easy to make Elite. You are a perfect example of this. Under the old system it was too easy to reach a level where the perks were not that bad. The new system forces people like you and the new customers to be loyal longer to get nice perks. We had 47 cruise credits when the new system took over. If you had 10, should you and I be put into the same level of loyality? Better yet, whoever reads this, please give your opinion.

We've only been Elite level for our last two cruises. One was a summer 12 night Med and the other a Christmas cruise from San Juan. In both cases, there were very few Elite cruisers onboard. The Med cocktail hour was in Sky Lounge, and the Summit's in Michaels. Both venues were quite roomy; plenty of empty seats. Same for the breakfasts.

We do long transatlantic sailings. Last years westbound Equinox TA had 1100 Elites onboard. The Sky Lounge was a mess! Way too many people. This years westbound TA on the Reflection had just as many, but we were issued vouchers. The few times we were in the Sky Lounge, there were seats for almost everyone. And, that Sky Lounge is quite a bit smaller because of the suites added on the port ship to that ship.

Better yet, whoever reads this, please give your opinion.

I agree that Elite has been too easy to reach and Celebrity needed to do something especially given the generous benefits. I think it would be nice, however, that for a very short window such as for anyone with paid cruises as of the time of the announced change, they could get those "bonus" points aggregated. After all, they may have made a decision to cruise some extra cruises to reach the Elite status and now it is basically too late for them to cancel. That could open up a new set of complaints, however, so it would have to be a short window with well-defined qualification parameters.

I hope they don't segregate the "Elite+" for the lounge. On a holiday sailing, you will be lonely.

There appears to be a high percentage of Members who prefer using vouchers in other lounges, so having this option and the Sky Lounge may spread the crowd and keep the lounge party (which I prefer) available for the Elites as well. I promise to shower first.

Last years westbound Equinox TA had 1100 Elites onboard. The Sky Lounge was a mess! Way too many people. This years westbound TA on the Reflection had just as many, but we were issued vouchers. The few times we were in the Sky Lounge, there were seats for almost everyone. And, that Sky Lounge is quite a bit smaller because of the suites added on the port ship to that ship.

FWIW and in case Celebrity is reading this thread, I want to note that we absolutely agree that 1) Elite+ should not be segregated from Elite regarding the lounge (unless Celebrity stats indicate still too much load, which shouldn't be the case with vouchers in place), 2) Have the drink vouchers for Elite & Elite+ for flexibility purposes where they can choose to use them in the Elite lounge or as desired in other selected lounges.

That seems to be a win-win for most including X. Why would X want to maintain 2-3 different designated lounges for Elite through Zenith? The above worked very well on our recent Eclipse (last week) cruise. I won't weigh in on Zenith level because we are a long way off from that level; on the other hand, we have spent years as Elite and now are Elite + with the change, so I can only speak from that perspective.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise