Is it time to REVAMP the Captain's Circle?

ACoupleAtSea

Wow. Just the laundry and internet we use is way more than $100.

How do you stay under $100? Just sending out 2 loads of laundry on a longer cruise comes over that amount!

Most of my cruises are not long cruises. They are often B2B (or B2B2B) so it may seem long but is 2 or 3 cruises. So I get the benefit 2 or 3x.

After losing laundry on Princess, I don't send that much out - just jeans and socks, etc... Anything I wouldn't want to lose, doesn't get sent out.

I find the cost of internet on Princess hugely inflated. I just did a quick google and some RCCL ships offer unlimited internet for a week for $150. I do use the internet but don't think it is worth the price they charge. I wonder if it is priced so high to compensate the line for the free platinum and elite internet they give out. I don't remember what the package is worth - is it $75? I guess I would rather spend $150 and get unlimited internet as opposed to the slow connections on Princess and get 120 minutes free but end up paying more for an additional package because a lot of that time is wasted just trying to get a web browser to come up. It doesn't seem like a great benefit if I can only really use at most half that time. Maybe if I had a decent connection on internet, I would think the benefit would be worth more.

I don't drink alcohol and am not a Coke fan - so my Elite bar setup is traded for bottled water and most of that, I don't use.

I guess I should have explained this better earlier. If RCCL is still giving $$$ cabins at their higher levels, I think that is a better value as I can then choose how to spend the savings in my own way. I don't use the wine tasting, I rarely buy anything at the stores, etc...

Edited by Coral

They've been talking about it for years but no rumors that I've heard. As it stands now, the Elite perks are better IMHO than any other cruise line, including Celebrity. My concern is if they added another tier above, Elite perks would be diluted.

Agree, don't stir the pot. I am elite with Princess and elite with Celebrity, waiting to hear how the changes at X will effect my elite benefits.

Agree that Princess elite perks are better than any other line. Be careful what you ask for.... I don't get much on Celebrity by comparison, suspect I will get less under the new system.

My recent 12-day was my first sailing as Elite. The laundry perk was well worth it. It's just that I didn't have to spend two to three hours lugging my laundry to the laundry room and do my laundry. And sometimes all the machines are full …

The perks are well worth it. I'm not going to cruise for the benefits, but they seem well-calculated to add to the enjoyment of the trip.

There were a fair number of people doing the short trips through Vanouver a couple months ago. I suspect that the program is working just fine for Princess, and we will see no tweaking.

On the question of the internet, T-Mobile's new international unlimited data plans are going to hit Princess where it hurts on internet. I suspect there will be price adjustments, downwards.

On the question of the internet, T-Mobile's new international unlimited data plans are going to hit Princess where it hurts on internet. I suspect there will be price adjustments, downwards.

I don't know how this plan works as T-Mobile is not available where I live. Can you explain? They will be able to bypass Princess's internet or do they have an agreement with Princess?

Edited by Coral

I don't know how this plan works as T-Mobile is not available where I live. Can you explain? They will be able to bypass Princess's internet or do they have an agreement with Princess?

No … but they have free international roaming in 120 countries. Won't help if you are far out at sea but just fine in and near port.

I take it you only cruise in insides or ocean view cabins on 7 day cruises? It's not that hard to hit Elite on Celebrity if you're in a balcony or sail Concierge which is sometimes not much more than a balcony. 5 points a night for concierge or aqua cabins.
So far, our Celebrity cruises have been in inside cabins and obstructed views. Right now, to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for the dates that work for us would be $500 for the two of us. I can get a balcony on Princess for less than an inside on Celebrity that week (DH's spring break--March 15 or 16).

You're right that if we decided to splurge for a balcony on Celebrity, we might be tempted to upgrade to Concierge for just $100 more per person.

Will Princess follow in the footsteps of Celebrity and make changes to their loyalty program?

Well, since princess mis-estimated the demand for short cruises,

and is giving them away again -- there should be a lot of people

achieving elite.

So, I would look for a reduction in benefits. Perhaps a dollar limit

on laundry, etc.

Well, since princess mis-estimated the demand for short cruises,

and is giving them away again -- there should be a lot of people

achieving elite.

So, I would look for a reduction in benefits. Perhaps a dollar limit

on laundry, etc.

$119 for a 4 day cruise on the Ruby, how can they turn a profit on that.

No … but they have free international roaming in 120 countries. Won't help if you are far out at sea but just fine in and near port.

Thanks for the info. I'm an AT&T user and I'm going to check out T Mobile's web site now. Last cruise we pre-purchased some discounted AT&T international roaming voice, text and data packages and it still hurt cost-wise.

Many people already use free or cheap internet while in port. There is often free wifi in the cruise terminal as well as at places like McDonalds and Starbucks. Since t-mobile is of no use at sea, it is unlikely to be a big factor

I don't know if this is still true, but I had friends who would sail RCCL due to their status as they would get $100 plus off pp the cost of a balcony cabin due to their level (on a 7 night Caribbean cruise).

If someone takes advantage of that $100 off a balcony cabin, the stockholder's OBC cannot be granted for that cruise.

I find the cost of internet on Princess hugely inflated. I just did a quick google and some RCCL ships offer unlimited internet for a week for $150. I do use the internet but don't think it is worth the price they charge. I wonder if it is priced so high to compensate the line for the free platinum and elite internet they give out. I don't remember what the package is worth - is it $75? I guess I would rather spend $150 and get unlimited internet as opposed to the slow connections on Princess and get 120 minutes free but end up paying more for an additional package because a lot of that time is wasted just trying to get a web browser to come up. It doesn't seem like a great benefit if I can only really use at most half that time. Maybe if I had a decent connection on internet, I would think the benefit would be worth more....

On my RCCL cruises this year, there was no "all you can use" package for $150 or for any other price. Pricing was $.65/minute without a package. Packages available were:

60 minutes for $35

100 minutes for $55

150 minutes for $75

250 minutes for $100

500 minutes for $150

Depending on loyalty level, a once per cruise discount of $5, $10, or $15 was available when purchasing a package.

Speed of the Internet on RCCL was no better or worse than what I experience on Princess. However signing on to the Internet on RCCL often took up to 30 tries and this was during times that most people were sleeping, so it was not due to demand.

RCCL has no Internet manager accessible to the passengers. Even though not all Princess Internet managers have received rave reviews, at least they exist. On RCCL any Internet questions/problems are handled by the passenger services desk personnel.

The value of the Princess benefit depends on the length of the cruise. Per platinum or elite member, for a cruise up to a seven day segment it is $75, for an 8-20 day segment it is $100, and for more than 20 days it is $200.

Edited by caribill

On my RCCL cruises this year, there was no "all you can use" package for $150 or for any other price. Pricing was $.65/minute without a package. Packages available were:

I think it is offered on the Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas.

Not really a thought about the fate of Captain's Circle, but I used to get both a hardcopy, quarterly Capt. Circle magazine and an e-newsletter. Then, mysteriously they both stopped, but the brochures and ads kept coming. So, I called, emailed, talked to Princess and finally I now seem to be getting the e-newsletter again. But, despite more calls, emails, etc. and verifying that they have my address correctly on my profile and their other files, I still do not get the hardcopy. Does it still exist?

Sure there is a possibility of changes to the Elite level. The program is intended to increase sales, so if and when Princess thinks a change will help, it will be made.

All loyalty programs are intended to add to the bottom line and not a reward program. Princess (or other cruise line, airline, whatever), owe us nothing.

As for beyond Elite, doesn't Princess already honor the elitist of the Elites on any given cruise?

Not really a thought about the fate of Captain's Circle, but I used to get both a hardcopy, quarterly Capt. Circle magazine and an e-newsletter. Then, mysteriously they both stopped, but the brochures and ads kept coming. So, I called, emailed, talked to Princess and finally I now seem to be getting the e-newsletter again. But, despite more calls, emails, etc. and verifying that they have my address correctly on my profile and their other files, I still do not get the hardcopy. Does it still exist?

We still get the magazine so, yes, it does exist.

All loyalty programs are intended to add to the bottom line and not a reward program. Princess (or other cruise line, airline, whatever), owe us nothing.

As for beyond Elite, doesn't Princess already honor the elitist of the Elites on any given cruise?

The top 40 on any cruise are invited to either a very nice luncheon or a cocktail party with ship's officers. You get a gratis picture taken with the Captain.(It's at the discretion of the Captain whether it's a luncheon or the cocktail party.)

Also, Princess gives cruisers a cash gift of OBCs after 21 cruises. (It's $25/cabin from 21 or 22 cruises to 31, $50/cabin from 32- 41, etc.) It may be a little touch but a nice recognition!

Edited by chamima

Princess has a luncheon (usually) or cocktail party (occasionally) for the 40 most traveled passengers on each cruise.

They recognize the three most traveled at the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party. They get a bottle of champagne and a cut glass paperweight.

There is no doubt that Princess provides a quality product, especially in the Alaskan Market which is a favorite destination of ours. Celebrity on the other hand appears to be making power moves and is trying to taylor their reward system to get people to exclusively cruise with them.

The intent of this thread was to see if Princess could possibly following suit in the near future?

The Princess Loyality program is very good. My benefits include the OBC and it does grow with cruise credits. I was excited though when I heard there was to be a new Loyality level, but was disappointed when it was a lower tier level. I was hoping that it would be Elite+.....not to be. If other lines continue to improve, Princess will probably follow suit.

I am elite on Celebrity, but there are so many elite because they honor RCL diamond as elite. there are some nice perks! I like having the special breakfast with speciality coffee, etc. they don't give as many Internet minutes, but the Internet is so much better. Still can't beat laundry. on Princess.....except on the Royal TA!!!!

They've been talking about it for years but no rumors that I've heard. As it stands now, the Elite perks are better IMHO than any other cruise line, including Celebrity. My concern is if they added another tier above, Elite perks would be diluted.

I have to agree with you Pam but those Zenith perks that Celebrity is offering look pretty good. Of course I would either have to win the lottery or find the secret to immortality before I could reach that level.

I get 75.00 obc for being a loyal Princess cruiser

And I get $100. And that's for each and every cruise no matter how many days. So next month when I take a 7 and a 4, I still get $200. And in January, my 5 day will give me another $100. But with that one. I'm also getting all my money back. :D

$119 for a 4 day cruise on the Ruby, how can they turn a profit on that.

I guess they figure that what you don't pay in cabin price you'll make up for with drinking, shopping, gambling. And if they give you a FCC for a future cruise equal to your booking amount, they'll get you on another cruise to drink, shop, gamble. Certainly seems like it's a better approach than sailing with empty cabins - to essentially give them away.

The top 40 on any cruise are invited to either a very nice luncheon or a cocktail party with ship's officers. You get a gratis picture taken with the Captain.(It's at the discretion of the Captain whether it's a luncheon or the cocktail party.)

Also, Princess gives cruisers a cash gift of OBCs after 21 cruises. (It's $25/cabin from 21 or 22 cruises to 31, $50/cabin from 32- 41, etc.) It may be a little touch but a nice recognition!

Princess has a luncheon (usually) or cocktail party (occasionally) for the 40 most traveled passengers on each cruise.

They recognize the three most traveled at the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party. They get a bottle of champagne and a cut glass paperweight.

I think this might be the future - most loyalty programs are not sustainable. A cruise ship only has so many resources that have to be shared. If you give too much away there won't be any available to generate revenue.

By limiting the number of cruisers that achieve top rewards on any given cruise, the program would stand a better chance of being sustainable.