Live from Century: poor handling of Thanksgiving meal options

deserttraveler

Not an easy situation, in port at Maui until midnight. This means many passengers on tours, etc., not back for MDR times. OK, as one such person, still hoping at 8:20 for my traditional Thanksgiving foods at the buffet, I was extremely disappointed to find no turkey dark meat, no mashed potatoes, and nothing remotely resembling American Thanksgiving desserts. Oddly, there was a big cake that had Happy Thanksgiving Day written in frosting. OK, I chose a cruise that included a long port stop that interfered with dinner service, but I'm baffled by Celebrity's failure to come through for the hundred or so passengers who need mashed potatoes and something resembling pie for it to feel right. I will live through this and it will not ruin my cruise, but it seems like the kind of thing onboard staff usually plans and executes better.

I know you must be feeling disappointed, but think of it from their point of view. Almost none of the crew celebrate Thanksgiving, and they probably don't know anything about what to do for it other than what directives come from the top about it. So they only know, okay on this one day a year, we have to cook this turkey, and have some sort of pie for dessert, etc. for the MDR and because it's this American holiday called Thanksgiving and so that's what they want. And every year it will fall on a different day of the cruise, so a different port day or sea day or something so what you do for it is hardly set in stone. It's not they have lots of practice doing this all time since every year it will be different, and since the crew are not inherently familiar with the traditions, no one will "catch" that the buffet doesn't have Thanksgiving food.

Imagine that you own some sort of hotel in America and this big chinese tour group was coming through. You heard from management that it's the Lunar Festival and so you look it up a little, and put up signs saying Happy Lunar Festival and even make some traditional dishes in the hotel restaurant. Then the tourists complain that you didn't gift everyone with mooncakes, that you didn't allow for a proper place in the hotel to gaze at the moon, that you didn't make a certain dish available as well, and so on. We would say that those tourists just don't get it, and maybe are a bit ungrateful and rude.

All in all, it's a simple mistake, and it's easy to see how they did it. And you really can't fault them too much for it. And plus, you get to be in Hawaii for Thanksgiving! And you can still do the "being thankful" part of a traditional Thanksgiving.

Hello also live from the pool deck on the century. They are playing lovely live music currently with Maui island lights in the back.

Just want to to correct the OP. Had a lovely thanksgiving meal at the buffet at 8:30! p.m

With turkey,mashed sweet potatoes,stuffing,gravy,cranberry chutney and everything I desired.(portside:) )

Best regards from this beautiful ship. Would and will go in a heartbeat with this great ship and cruise line!

(10 X cruises and still amazed about this great cruise line)

Edited by SoBe2010

Everyone makes good points. I had some of the pureed yams, but there were no mashed "regular" potatoes at 8:20 or at 8:30 (i checked), and this seemed strange since they are almost always available. But that, along with my original complaint, is all beside the point made so beautifully about our wonderful multicultural staff and crew and the limitations any one of us has in putting ourselves in the shoes of another. I will enthusiastically concede this point.

I especially love the well-developed example about nationality and culture and wish everyone who cruises on any ship or line could read it. We are being served mostly well-prepared and delicious food by hard-working people who often can't imagine eating the very thing they are tasked with serving. Many of them also grew up in circumstances where the quantities they see consumed and wasted would have been unimaginable.

Thanks for putting some perspective on this. Yes, I'm grateful to have the privilege of being in Hawaii for Thanksgiving. And I will definitely continue to enjoy this cruise.

Glad you're all have a wonderful cruise. You should also be aware that the local residents of Hawaii were not likely eating turkey for Thanksgiving. Turkey is probably more available now then years previously with the big mainlain box stores. Mainlain transplants will have more traditional dinners but dinner for most residents was likely a mix of traditional items like candied yams but also roast pig, taro or poi, local fresh vegatables, rice and local fruit pies and cakes.

OK, I chose a cruise that included a long port stop that interfered with dinner service, but I'm baffled by Celebrity's failure to come through for the hundred or so passengers who need mashed potatoes and something resembling pie for it to feel right. I will live through this and it will not ruin my cruise, but it seems like the kind of thing onboard staff usually plans and executes better.

gotta disagree. if you wanted the 'traditional' Thanksgiving you should have stayed home and cooked yourself. we chose a holiday cruise( christmas) to AVOID all the usual trappings and stuff.

Not an easy situation, in port at Maui until midnight. This means many passengers on tours, etc., not back for MDR times. OK, as one such person, still hoping at 8:20 for my traditional Thanksgiving foods at the buffet, I was extremely disappointed to find no turkey dark meat, no mashed potatoes, and nothing remotely resembling American Thanksgiving desserts. Oddly, there was a big cake that had Happy Thanksgiving Day written in frosting. OK, I chose a cruise that included a long port stop that interfered with dinner service, but I'm baffled by Celebrity's failure to come through for the hundred or so passengers who need mashed potatoes and something resembling pie for it to feel right. I will live through this and it will not ruin my cruise, but it seems like the kind of thing onboard staff usually plans and executes better.

Hope you have a great cruise. We cruised once for Thanksgiving but dined at MDR, and the food was fantastic. I still think that my aunt's turkey is the best, and agree with "spookwife", if you want a traditional Thanksgiving, then you should stay home.

We've cruised during Thanksgiving a number of times. I joke my wife would spend money for a cruise to get away from cooking that huge meal.

My experience is the ships have had Thanksgiving fare, but not that extensive. And each of us have some item that we think is 'classic' Thanksgiving. I love the standards, but really want deviled eggs!

But the last few cruises, I've enjoyed something different than the traditional turkey and dressing.

Each to our own of what we look forward to. My suggestion is, if it's important to you, make sure you make it go the MDR. The Buffet is not going to be " the place" to dine for that.

Sounds as if the OP was able to survive and put it all in perspective.

Den

How can two people go to the buffet ten minutes apart and have totally different experiences. Baffling.

I think the OP was looking for dark turkey meat and regular mashed potatoes. I'm guessing there was white turkey meat and mashed sweet potatoes.

I went to a friends house for Thanksgiving, and even though I always serve regular mashed potatoes, they only had mashed sweet potatoes (which I don't like), because they are much more healthy and most like them. Did I complain no, I just had a little more of other things. If what I had for the meal meant more to me than the company I had at the meal, I would have stayed home and cooked the meal myself.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Now I'm not American and I really don't fully understand the Thanksgiving tradition but does anyone else think that complaining about a meal served to you by your host is somewhat missing the whole point of Thanksgiving?

I think it has to do with the title of your thread. A little over the top IMHO. I also don't see anyone piling on. More like posters giving their two cents to the title of the thread and subject of your first post which one has to expect when posting on this board.

Edited by cruisingator2

Well, I want to thank OP for her flexible attitude and quick response. So many threads have an OP who gets defensive and tries to bat down every complaint (and even the attempts at constructive suggestions). It was very refreshing to see.

Ok, I have to chime in. YOU chose to forego the traditional Thanksgiving feast at home; & to sail on a beautiful ship to beautiful ports in a beautiful place, Hawaii. And you chose to interrupt your cruise to a beautiful place to complain that you couldn't get mashed potatoes & dark meat turkey?????.....and I thought the Captain's club moaning was ridiculous.

PLEASE, PLEASE, try to enjoy the rest. Of your cruise.:eek:

well, i want to thank op for her flexible attitude and quick response. So many threads have an op who gets defensive and tries to bat down every complaint (and even the attempts at constructive suggestions). It was very refreshing to see.

Like! :)

ok, i have to chime in. You chose to forego the traditional thanksgiving feast at home; & to sail on a beautiful ship to beautiful ports in a beautiful place, hawaii. And you chose to interrupt your cruise to a beautiful place to complain that you couldn't get mashed potatoes & dark meat turkey?????.....and i thought the captain's club moaning was ridiculous.

Please, please, try to enjoy the rest. Of your cruise.:eek:

Not so much! :(

OP again. Perhaps in addition to leftovers in the buffet, I can order crow in the MDR. Thanks for all the feedback. Both my own hasty action in posting and a few of your responses help me in my personal quest to reduce the occasions when I feel that I must chime in. I've received enormous help from these boards over the years, and I value this community.