why do so many seem so greedy? Not Every benefit will be of value to Every cruiser

cruisegirl1

We just became Elite after our last cruise. We feel that the Elite benefits are what has kept us loyal to Celebrity. We take cruises of 10 to 14 nights and will definitely use the free laundry coupons, dry cleaning, free drinks and free internet minutes. These benefits add a lot of value to our cruise. We have sailed on Cunard and Princess a number of times, but hesitate to sail on them again because will enjoy the Elite benefits. We have also not cruised on Holland America because we would miss Elite benefits, and we would be starting at zero on a new line.

We just became Elite after our last cruise. We feel that the Elite benefits are what has kept us loyal to Celebrity. We take cruises of 10 to 14 nights and will definitely use the free laundry coupons, dry cleaning, free drinks and free internet minutes. These benefits add a lot of value to our cruise. We have sailed on Cunard and Princess a number of times, but hesitate to sail on them again because will enjoy the Elite benefits. We have also not cruised on Holland America because we would miss Elite benefits, and we would be starting at zero on a new line.

It doesn't say much for the cruise line when all that comes between you and another line is free internet, a bag of laundry and a couple of cocktails each night. The value of these amenities is ok, but are they really the reason you stay with Celebrity?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It doesn't say much for the cruise line when all that comes between you and another line is free internet, a bag of laundry and a couple of cocktails each night. The value of these amenities is ok, but are they really the reason you stay with Celebrity?

Apparently yes.

I mostly sail RCCL and when some cruise buddies learned that I had planned a few Celebrity cruises they said I was crazy for “giving up” points towards my RCCL Pinnacle status. I did not consider it “giving up” anything! Since I am not in the points race, it didn’t mater to use. We wanted to sail Celebrity for that particular cruise and a few points towards another cruise line honor program make no difference to us.

M

cruisegirl...I'm with you!

We sail for the itinerary. While there are some lines we'd prefer to avoid, I might be hard pressed to pass on a great itinerary on one of them! Hey, I even think I'd do a dinghy tour of the Galapagos!

I finally got the mailing from Celebrity. The brochure presentation was fine. Changing the program happens in many loyalty programs. It would have been looked on more favorably if they had announced it in advance and given potential cruisers some time to adjust to it. I feel most sorry for the people who were cruising on the date of the change. Those people depending upon their cabin category must have felt cheated. Celebrity missed a great opportunity to get future bookings. If they had given people a short period of time to book and pay in full under the system...and get the best value out if either the old or new plan, they would have seen bookings increase. I also belong to other loyalty programs which have changed. A few weeks ago one of the larger hotel chain announced new point program increasing/decreasing the the number of points required for free nights or upgrades. If you booked before 2014 you get the old rates if the points needed will increase...or get back points if the new plan deceases points needed. I booked 3 free nights in London for next summer. I was happy to be given some warning of the changes. I appreciate the benefits that are expressed to loyal guests. I doubt that anyone would have been upset if Celebrity had kept the old credit system and just added the 2 extra levels.

Not to quibble, but if all things are equal on a mass market(Big Ship/ITIN) cruise, then the perks do make a difference. Why would you want to spent the same bucks elsewhere and not get the benefits you have acquired with Celebrity? I am Elite and the internet minutes, a few free drinks and the laundry do make a difference, if the itin that I want are simuliar, because these benefits allow me to allocate the $$ I would spend on another line towards a private tour etc. So it is a factor and be honest, it is also a factor in your thinking. If perks did not matter and were not a factor or tipping point in how you spend your cruise $$ then perks would not be offerred by any cruise line. Just my opinion

Enjoy the Holiday season

Edited by SFL

Am currently experiencing the new Elite + benefits and certainly appreciate them. I am now less concerned about internet minutes. Don't use all the benefits,but certainly appreciate the choice. The program isn't perfect and I understand that someone in authority at Celebrity wants to contact me when I return. The benefits are fixed and won't change. I'm hoping that Celebrity will allow fully paid cruises booked prior to the change to convert on the former basis to new points. Think that there should be a short, one time promotion that would allow cruisers to pay the full price for a cruise or cruises and allow them to be calculated at the old conversion rate. This would be a win-win as those who are close to a new level could enhance points and Celbrity to reduce cabin supply without needing to offer OBC or drink packages.

Am currently experiencing the new Elite + benefits and certainly appreciate them. I am now less concerned about internet minutes. Don't use all the benefits,but certainly appreciate the choice. The program isn't perfect and I understand that someone in authority at Celebrity wants to contact me when I return. The benefits are fixed and won't change. I'm hoping that Celebrity will allow fully paid cruises booked prior to the change to convert on the former basis to new points. Think that there should be a short, one time promotion that would allow cruisers to pay the full price for a cruise or cruises and allow them to be calculated at the old conversion rate. This would be a win-win as those who are close to a new level could enhance points and Celbrity to reduce cabin supply without needing to offer OBC or drink packages.

If they allow those that have paid reservations, then why not extend the same courtsey to those with deposited reservations, they are in the same boat thinking their next cruise or cruises would have got them to another level. Once you open the door, there will be many who will be displeased. I think Celebrity got it right, if you haven't taken the cruise, then it goes to the new system. FYI, I'm in that same boat (ship), having a booked cruise prior to the announcement, but still feel that Celebrity was fair.

I think it does. We also do 10 day or longer cruises. The monetary value of a cocktail each before dinner and the free internet minutes is a significant reason we stay with the line. Princess and HAL would cost me more simply because I would have to pay for those drinks (approx $16 per day) and internet package (could be close to $100).

Then there is the one category free upgrade on Celebrity and on Royal the balcony discount.

These are all dollars in my pocket. I'm not wealthy enough to eschew getting something for free that I would ordinarily be paying for.

If they allow those that have paid reservations, then why not extend the same courtsey to those with deposited reservations, they are in the same boat thinking their next cruise or cruises would have got them to another level. Once you open the door, there will be many who will be displeased. I think Celebrity got it right, if you haven't taken the cruise, then it goes to the new system. FYI, I'm in that same boat (ship), having a booked cruise prior to the announcement, but still feel that Celebrity was fair.

Would agree and believe that that would be good business. However,here's the difference:once you have made final payment you have a contract that is less flexible. Past practice indicated that whenever Celebrity has changed any element of their program before they always allowed to a transition periods. Remember when they eliminated he stock holder double dip. That some people might be upset is not sufficient reason not to meet the needs of those who have been most loyal. I'd probably have a better chance of getting what I want by attempting to stick a private deal. Might be much easier to do that, but I don't think that would be fair.

Would agree and believe that that would be good business. However,here's the difference:once you have made final payment you have a contract that is less flexible. Past practice indicated that whenever Celebrity has changed any element of their program before they always allowed to a transition periods. Remember when they eliminated he stock holder double dip. That some people might be upset is not sufficient reason not to meet the needs of those who have been most loyal. I'd probably have a better chance of getting what I want by attempting to stick a private deal. Might be much easier to do that, but I don't think that would be fair.

It seems they have been more than fair. At least they didn't just go back and count days sailed. Just think of all those short cruises in less expensive cabins that many people took that wouldn't count for much. It all evens out in the end.

I finally got the mailing from Celebrity. The brochure presentation was fine. Changing the program happens in many loyalty programs. It would have been looked on more favorably if they had announced it in advance and given potential cruisers some time to adjust to it. I feel most sorry for the people who were cruising on the date of the change. Those people depending upon their cabin category must have felt cheated. Celebrity missed a great opportunity to get future bookings. If they had given people a short period of time to book and pay in full under the system...and get the best value out if either the old or new plan, they would have seen bookings increase. I also belong to other loyalty programs which have changed. A few weeks ago one of the larger hotel chain announced new point program increasing/decreasing the the number of points required for free nights or upgrades. If you booked before 2014 you get the old rates if the points needed will increase...or get back points if the new plan deceases points needed. I booked 3 free nights in London for next summer. I was happy to be given some warning of the changes. I appreciate the benefits that are expressed to loyal guests. I doubt that anyone would have been upset if Celebrity had kept the old credit system and just added the 2 extra levels.

If Celebrity had announced this change and had extended the implementation date there would still have been complaints. Someone would still complain that their cruise did not make the cut off date or that their cruise in June or whenever would have made them a certain status. Bottom line is that X did what they thought was best for a program that does not cost the guest any money other than booking cruises.

I don't cruise strictly for the benefits. Yes they're nice and I appreciate what has been given. IMHO Celebrity and RCI offer a superior product over what I've experienced on the other lines. That alone keeps me coming back. For the ones that chase the benefits and book strictly on trying to elevate their status then they run the risk of changes happening. We have seen examples of that here on the Celebrity board since the change was announced.

I guess if some are not happy then they are free to try other lines but they should know that the goal post can be moved with those lines too. :)

I think if they were to change and give those old points for cruises paid for, then they should do the same for those booked. In both instances, they had the same expectations.

Now, saying that, I don't think that Celebrity should go back and give anyone credit for cruises not sailed. Things change and people have to get use to it. I am sure Celebrity expected the outcry from those with paid and booked cruises and knew exactly how many customers they would lose because of the new Captain's Club, which I feel are very, very few. People get upset, but they will always stay with a product that they think is good and Celebrity is smart enough to know that.

We never take short cruises, but we would have still come out behind according to my calculations. I think giving people 30pts/cruise is a way fair average. It's over 4pts/day for 7 days. Sure, some people sailed in suites, etc., but most of us fill the other rooms. Going on short cruises just to get CC status always seemed like a scam to me.

Tom

It seems they have been more than fair. At least they didn't just go back and count days sailed. Just think of all those short cruises in less expensive cabins that many people took that wouldn't count for much. It all evens out in the end.

We never take short cruises, but we would have still come out behind according to my calculations. I think giving people 30pts/cruise is a way fair average. It's over 4pts/day for 7 days. Sure, some people sailed in suites, etc., but most of us fill the other rooms. Going on short cruises just to get CC status always seemed like a scam to me.

Tom

I agree and it was definitely part of the problem that caused the revision.

How are the free specialty coffees working out? I'm assuming one gets them in Bacio. Is that making it overly crowded? That's a benefit I'm really looking forward to.

How are the free specialty coffees working out? I'm assuming one gets them in Bacio. Is that making it overly crowded? That's a benefit I'm really looking forward to.

Me too. I guess we are one of the lucky ones in that our next cruise works out the same in either the old points or the new:).

DW enjoys the benefit and it's working well. Available everywhere except room service. You are limited to the free items listed, no exceptions. Some have complained, but they didn't read their. Coupon. Very clear.

As someone with a cruise in January that was fully paid in October that would be a welcome event. However, I don't expect it to happen unless you hold great sway with the powers that be at Celebrity. Let us know if you have that conversation when you return if you are not sworn to secrecy.;)

I have to say that I was very surprised at how much Celebrity "gives away".

On several occasions during our last cruise we spoke to Elites on tables next to us and almost all of them were just drinking tap water because they had had all the alcohol they wanted free at the Elite gathering.

Given that so many cabins go "cheap" to fill up the boat I would have thought that it was essential that the occupants of those cabins spend on board. With free drinks, laundry, internet access etc etc Celebrity must be missing out quite a chunk of revenue.

I can understand giving one free drink per evening but three seems excessive.

Your post reminds me of our Equinox TA last year. 25% of the passengers were Elite (that's 900 people). The Elite cocktail hour was a zoo the one night we attempted-not a seat to be had- and the waiters were unable to serve the mass of people. After that experience we never went back during the 14 days. We realized then that Elite status was nice for whatever you personally choose to take from it and not be relied upon to be your cruise experience. There are those that we label "value" cruisers- an inside cabin on the TA for $600pp for a 14-day cruise, have Bloody Mary's, Cappuchinos & Espressos in the Elite breakfast, 3 drinks before every dinner in the Elite cocktail hour, a free wine tasting event, special high tea, a special Captain's event and never buy an alcoholic drink or specialty coffee.

So we enjoy our Elite internet minutes, our free bag of laundry, occasionally frequent the Elite breakfast, attend the high tea and wine tasting events but never let any of it interfere with the real reason we cruise with Celebrity- a great product and wonderful experience each and every time we cruise. So instead of being 2 cruises away from Elite+ we are now probably 3 or 4. I guess we'll have to pay for the extra internet minutes awhile longer. Oh, well...;)

Why would someone from Celebrity want to contact you and not the many other folks here who are unhappy? Also, why only prepaid cruises? I had 8 cruises booked with Celebrity before the change. Shouldn't I get grandfathered in? From your post I gather your road to Zenith just got a bit more bumpy.

I agree. There is a couple who lives in Florida and spends a good chunk of their winters doing the 4 and 5 day Caribbean cruises, which of course is fine. But they don't always cruise together, some of the times one parent cuises with son or daughter and on the next cruise the other parent. I've always wonder if a cruise by a spouse alone gives both spouses cruise credits. (I only know this because, well the staff does chatter).

Tom

I agree with you. Just as a matter of interest and having a spare fifteen minutes I went through my cruise history and recalculated it under the new system. I've stayed in a variety of cabins from inside to Royal Suite and the new points I've been given are more than fair.

Phil

Why would someone from Celebrity want to contact you and not the many other folks here who are unhappy? Also, why only prepaid cruises? I had 8 cruises booked with Celebrity before the change. Shouldn't I get grandfathered in? From your post I gather your road to Zenith just got a bit more bumpy.

I agree. There is a couple who lives in Florida and spends a good chunk of their winters doing the 4 and 5 day Caribbean cruises, which of course is fine. But they don't always cruise together, some of the times one parent cuises with son or daughter and on the next cruise the other parent. I've always wonder if a cruise by a spouse alone gives both spouses cruise credits. (I only know this because, well the staff does chatter).

You get to have the same level as your spouse but your points are your own. For example, if I had 300 points and my husband had 250, we'd both be Elite but if he sailed alone and earned 35 points, he'd be at 285 and I wouldn't get any points. Same if I sailed- I'd be at 335 and he'd still be at 250.