Cruisinetta builds a tiny model ship: Poordam III

Spinner2

She's doing it again! Cruisinetta is on the Noordam now, and hadn't planned to do any shipbuilding this time. I suspect though that she's always ready to build something, because when her cabin steward recognized her and asked about it, she writes that she decided to build a little ship just for him. "It's very small and adorable!" she writes.

This photo shows an incomplete ship; she'll send another photo or two as she completes it. If you've watched Cruisinetta build in the past you know that some of her creations had to be tested for seaworthiness in the pool because they were too big for the jacuzzi. This little creation, though, as you can see from the size of the ship vs. the remote control on the table in front of the ship is, for Cruisinetta's style, very small.

poordam3.jpg

Edited by Spinner2

She's an amazing ship-builder; sure wouldn't want to up against her in a contest onboard! Love that she's building it for her cabin steward; he's going to love it. I look forward to seeing the completed model.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Cruisinetta will chime in when she can concerning her building materials, I'm sure.

Just in, this "finished" photo, and her note:

"Here she is all finished. I will float her tomorrow when we are in port. Makes for calm waters. I will send pics of her in the water and with her new owner. He is so funny. Everytime he comes into my cabin, he has a huge smile on his face. He is so in love with this little ship. Glad I could make his work a little brighter. "

poordam3-b.jpg

She's laid a watch alongside so you can judge the actual size. Considering the size of many that she's built, this one is actually a pretty small ship; a much better size for displaying in the steward's cabin, I'm sure.

The original photo is not very large (of course any photo sent via a ship's internet is appreciated!) but even though it will be a bit pixilated I thought you'd like to see a close-up of part of the ship:

poordam3-b1.jpg

The ever-resourceful, creative, and practical Cruisinetta has answered the question about how she constructed the lifeboats. As old-timer fans to her shipbuilding, many know that she's often carved carrots, adding them last. But for this ship, since it's going on display, I think she's used a resource that she's not tried before! If you want to guess some more, don't read on just yet.

The lifeboats, Cruisinetta writes, are earplugs. With white-out on the bottom.

I've asked her to ask the cabin steward if he's ok with her sharing his name for our discussion. It's always fun to learn where a steward you've known in the past is now, and some of us might recognize the name. Or his photo!

Hi everyone! As usual thanks for the kind words about my little babies. My cabin steward has been a hoot. He can't wait to get into my cabin everyday. He has been smiling from ear to ear. So cute. I floated the ship today and sent a pic to Spinner. It should be up soon. I plan on handing over the key to the ship in the next few days and I will send a pic of that when it happens. Not ready to give her up yet. :p