Just finished Allure 12/1-12/8/13. Not a Ken Rush fan.

adomek

New drinking game....take a drink every time Ken Rush (cruise director) uses 'I' or 'me'. He really thinks a lot of himself.

That being said, we had a great time :)

"My theatre"

"My Ship"

"My video technician"

and lets not forget the most frequent, and actually creepy thing he says during guest: "My personal collection"

Oh, and lets not forget the annoying recording of.. "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN YOU"RE ON VACATION!!!"

Did you get to see one of his temper tantrums though? Its literally the most amusing thing ever when something upsets him and he goes running past people to go hide somewhere. The facial expression and immaturity is priceless. He belongs in adventure ocean, with others with his level of maturity

Edited by DJZS

Right before we went on the amazing Allure this past August there was a whole multiple page long thread bashing Ken Rush. We were pretty nervous seeing so many people had such strong feelings against him.

To our surprise, we LOVED Ken! We thought he did a great job! Every activity he hosted was hilarious and well done, his staff is fantastic, we liked watching his show every morning and we also talked to him once after the ice show and he was SO nice!!

Anyways, just wanted to put that out there for anyone reading this thread who is planning on going on the Allure and might get worried by all the negative things written about Ken. Just a different opinion :) We really enjoyed him and you could tell he loves his job and is having a ball on the best cruise ship in the world! ;)

Right before we went on the amazing Allure this past August there was a whole multiple page long thread bashing Ken Rush. We were pretty nervous seeing so many people had such strong feelings against him.

To our surprise, we LOVED Ken! We thought he did a great job! Every activity he hosted was hilarious and well done, his staff is fantastic, we liked watching his show every morning and we also talked to him once after the ice show and he was SO nice!!

Anyways, just wanted to put that out there for anyone reading this thread who is planning on going on the Allure and might get worried by all the negative things written about Ken. Just a different opinion :) We really enjoyed him and you could tell he loves his job and is having a ball on the best cruise ship in the world! ;)

Excellent post!!

Hi everyone. I can see both sides of this discussion. I have sailed Allure 3 times and Ken has been the CD all 3 times (missed Allan Brooks by a week or so on the last 2 sailings)! The first 2 times I found Ken funny, witty and his presence was clearly 'there' all the time. I have to admit that by my 3rd cruise, Ken began to wear a little thin. I think it is because he does/says the same thing week in, week out - not his fault, it is his job - so just my opinion of hearing the same things for the 3rd time!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people on here love certain CD but others just don't like their style. Heck, if we all thought the same, life would be so boring!

New drinking game....take a drink every time Ken Rush (cruise director) uses 'I' or 'me'. He really thinks a lot of himself.

That being said, we had a great time :)

You'd be pretty drunk playing that game...

I was already 'less than impressed' with him and then noticed that on the cruise video (playing in the photo area) there was a segment about him that showed childhood photos and so forth... really??

We had a great time too though - not gonna let an arrogant CD ruin my cruise!

I guess I am the only one who is annoyed by CDs

I dont care who he / she will be on my next cruise. I dont care most of the time about their business but if they are way too energetic, cheerleader like and clown type, I give up and ends up irritating me.

Some CDs are better than others like Brooks but I've never had one that I'd write home to Cruise Critic about. I appreciate the job they do but I don't check to see who the CD is before or after booking a cruise.

We've cruised RCCL each of the past 8 years and I have no idea who the Cruise Director was on any of them.:D

The only reason I remember Brooks is because we had him twice on different ships. Other than him, I can't remember any others either.

What I want to know is why some people give the CD that much power? We could care less who the CD is on a cruise and we definitely wouldn't bad-mouth him or her is s/he wasn't to our liking. Gee, so much negativity. Would you say this to his face?

It's sad. :(

The Cruise Director has a lot of direct and indirect power of your enjoyment of the cruise. For instance, the CD on Brilliance last July doesn't like the Quest, so there was no Quest. If you are a big fan of the Quest than that's a negative.

Also, the CD (or AD) makes the daily schedule. Some of the CD's don't like trivia and will only schedule 1 or 2 sessions per day. If you're a fan of trivia then you'd be disappointed.

And, finally, some CD's just have a bad attitude and it permeates their entire staff. I know of one CD that refused to learn any bit of a foreign language because if the guest didn't speak English then he didn't want to speak to them. And unfortunately his general bad attitude trickled down through his staff and even after he left that ship still retained that bad attitude for a while.

So, yes, I do pay attention to the CD because if they are one that has proven to negatively affect my experience in the past it would take some genuinely great prices in order for to go on a ship with them again.

This is all just my opinions, of course. :D

There are some CD's that I absolutely abhor and other people love. :o

Edited by tahqa

Yes, old Ken is on "cruise" control. You do see him a lot around the ship mingling with people, unlike most of the other CD's.

It has been our experience (our next cruise will be our 15th, all on Royal) that cruise directors (their planning and execution of events) have a direct affect on my enjoyment of a cruise. I would not choose a cruise simply because of the cruise director that will be on board (difficult to do anyway), but it is great when the CD is a good one.

I guess I have been fortunate, I can't remember a cruise where the CD (and Activity Director) wasn't found mingling around the ship with people.

We have had many different CD, and even have had some several times on different ships.

People hear a lot about Ken (often raves), so it is interesting to read you POV.

Seen some pretty poor CD's over the years but Ken and Kevin are not among them. Not even close.

They among Royals top CD's. Can't make everyone happy. Someone always has a problem with something.

Incorrect. Why do you think the launch of quantum was taken away from Ken? Because, he's stale. He has done nothing new in YEARS. Some of his speeches, sayings, and announcements are actually recorded now. In addition, his arrogance just continues to increase. Rush needs to hush.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this posting come up last week but deliberately did not open it because I did not want to be tainted before going on a cruise with him as CD.

I think he was energetic and seems to like his job. You can tell he seems to LOVE personal attention to feed his ego, but he is an entertainer so that's OK with me; if an entertainer wasn't at least a bit into themselves they'd have no personality at all, know what I mean? Yeah, some of the schtick is been there, done that, and I'm pretty sure a few months from now I won't remember who he was in particular, just that the cruise was loaded with activities and the cruise directors staff was very good.

It doesn't matter that some of his announcements are recorded; they are commercials. I don't expect that he dresses up to dine at Izumi and Samba Grill each week and make a new commercial every week; not sure what some people expect. His morning show had useful info for the day. He keeps the entertainment jam packed, just wish he'd go off script a bit or add something new/unique in there.

Incorrect. Why do you think the launch of quantum was taken away from Ken? Because, he's stale. He has done nothing new in YEARS. Some of his speeches, sayings, and announcements are actually recorded now. In addition, his arrogance just continues to increase. Rush needs to hush.

Lol - 'taken away'