Princess Upgrade Policy Needs Upgrading

plastx

We booked a January 2014 cruise on the Ruby this past summer and had selected a very specific cabin. We didn't want to take the guarantee category, and wanted to try a cabin with an extended balcony. Come to find out today, we had been upgraded to a cabin of the same size (BE to BB), two decks lower, and a smaller balcony. We called Princess and they can only put in a request for the cabin we originally booked. I don't "recall" being informed of the "upgrade" and was told they did this back in September.

We are not new cruisers, and have cruised 16 times on many different lines (Disney, Cunard, NCL, Holland, Carnival, Royal). This is our first Princess cruise. We are very upset by this "upgrade" which is not at all an upgrade. Since this ship is sold out and sails in one month, we probably have lost our original cabin. We are very disappointed with Princess's upgrade policy, which was not fully explained to us when we booked, and for their huge lack of communication. We've never had this happen on other sailings and lines.

After reading other CC threads on this, we see it is an issue for Princess. :mad:

It normally isn't an issue because most people want to be upgraded. Accepting an upgrade is the default for all bookings. You had the option to opt out and mark your booking "Do not upgrade." Your TA should have asked you. If you booked directly, then you assume responsibility.

Every now and then, and it's rare, the computer will upgrade someone who has opted out of an upgrade or their booking is linked to someone else's. That's what you're referring to when you say it's an issue. This is not common.

Edited by Pam in CA

It normally isn't an issue because most people want to be upgraded. Accepting an upgrade is the default for all bookings. You had the option to opt out and mark your booking "Do not upgrade."

Maybe they should reverse it and if you book a specific cabin, the default should be "do not upgrade". This issue comes up all the time and it is not obvious to most cruisers that the default is "will accept upgrades".

I am guessing most people are not booking with a real person so they do not understand how Princess handles this.

Edited by Coral

Maybe they should reverse it and if you book a specific cabin, the default should be "do not upgrade". This issue comes up all the time and it is not obvious to most cruisers that the default is "will accept upgrades".

I am guessing most people are not booking with a real person so they do not understand how Princess handles this.

I doubt they would do that as it would deprive them of flexibility. Since I generally choose my cabin carefully, I do have them mark the booking do not upgrade, as Princess has odd ideas about what an upgrade is.

We had the same problem on the Coral Princess. We picked a specific inside cabin (as low and in the middle of the ship as we could get) only to check in and to find out we were upgraded to a balcony cabin that was on a high deck and to the rear of the ship.

We could not get our cabin back as someone was booked into it.

We bit the bullet tried the balcony cabin, and now know that we would never book a balcony cabin - it just wasn't our ideal cabin set up.

For some people, a BE to a BB would be an upgrade.

Too bad you did not say that you did not want an upgrade.

How do you suggest that they change their policy?

The system needs to be changed. Suggest a)the default be "no upgrade", and/or b) notify in advance and give the customer a chance to accept or decline. The way it is now it is easier for the line, but fails the tests of customer friendly, and, customer fully informed prior to purchase, and after purchase. Kind of a reverse bait & switch.

Plastx, were you on deck 10 and with the upgrade are now on deck 12, two decks higher?

Every now and then, and it's rare, the computer will upgrade someone who has opted out of an upgrade or their booking is linked to someone else's. That's what you're referring to when you say it's an issue. This is not common.

Having a cabin marked no upgrade and having the cabin linked to other ones are two separate things. Having cabins linked together doesn't affect the possibility of an upgrade; frequently people link cabins together so they will be seated together at dinner, but don't care whether they're in different categories and staying on different parts of the ship.

I did my own booking online. I choose a specific cabin. I do not recall an option at all to make it no upgrade or anything like that. Did I miss something in the booking process? Looks like I will have to call Princess and tell them to leave me where I am. :D

Edited by greenie082756

I agree that the policy is a strange one. On our 5 HAL cruises we booked a specific cabin, and knew that since we hadn't booked a Guarantee that we would stay there. Very strange that Princess can just move you without notice.

Fortunately I learned early on (from this board) about the Meta Upgrade option, and the Princess T.A. I used assures me that she has told Princess about it. But I don't see it written on any paperwork that I have access to.

So I check daily to make sure we are still where I want to be! :o

I did my own booking online. I choose a specific cabin. I do not recall an option at all to make it no upgrade or anything like that. Did I miss something in the booking process? Looks like I will have to call Princess and tell them to leave me where I am. :D

If you're handling your own booking, DEFINITELY give them a call and have them make that change.

The problem is on their invoices that are sent to TAs, there is no mention of the upgrade (whether it will be accepted or not, etc.). So, unless the TA is meticulous about making a note of it at time of booking, they can claim the TA never stipulated about the upgrade.

Also, they are supposed to get notification to the TAs, but it doesn't always reach them for one reason or another (not blaming Princess - it could get lost in any number of places between the company and the TA).

Happened to a friend on CB in March. They had a forward ocean view next to a suite. Got an email from Princess they had been moved to another mid-ship cabin of the same category. Princess told them it was an upgrade since they were moved mid-ship closer to the 'action'. Friend told them if they had wanted 'closer to the action' they would have booked 'closer to the action'. Princess moved them back after a bit of a hassle. Friend suspects the suite wanted the adjacent cabin too. Friend has cruised Princess before and is confident he said "up grades" at booking. Lesson: Get It In Writing.

Also, they are supposed to get notification to the TAs, but it doesn't always reach them for one reason or another (not blaming Princess - it could get lost in any number of places between the company and the TA).

And the TA is supposed to notify the client, but that does not always happen.

Having a cabin marked no upgrade and having the cabin linked to other ones are two separate things. Having cabins linked together doesn't affect the possibility of an upgrade; frequently people link cabins together so they will be seated together at dinner, but don't care whether they're in different categories and staying on different parts of the ship.

OTH, I suspect people book cabins together because they actually want to be close together.

We booked a January 2014 cruise on the Ruby this past summer and had selected a very specific cabin. We didn't want to take the guarantee category, and wanted to try a cabin with an extended balcony. Come to find out today, we had been upgraded to a cabin of the same size (BE to BB), two decks lower, and a smaller balcony. We called Princess and they can only put in a request for the cabin we originally booked. I don't "recall" being informed of the "upgrade" and was told they did this back in September.

We are not new cruisers, and have cruised 16 times on many different lines (Disney, Cunard, NCL, Holland, Carnival, Royal). This is our first Princess cruise. We are very upset by this "upgrade" which is not at all an upgrade. Since this ship is sold out and sails in one month, we probably have lost our original cabin. We are very disappointed with Princess's upgrade policy, which was not fully explained to us when we booked, and for their huge lack of communication. We've never had this happen on other sailings and lines.

After reading other CC threads on this, we see it is an issue for Princess. :mad:

Same thing happened to me. Booked my first Princess cruise, many cruises myself. Got the "we upgraded you" email but I called and was able to change back to my original cabin. It was 4 months before sailing. Thankful the email didn't go to spam. The cabin they upgraded us to was not an upgrade in my option. I pick a cabin based on what I want. I didn't know about having to request "no upgrade". I booked directly through Princess. I think it should be the other way around. If you want an upgrade then indicate. OR at least show the option in the Personalizer so the person can make that decision.

I also did not see it as an option when booking online (did a "fake" booking). If the purpose in booking online is so you don't have to call the cruiseline then the option should be ther, otherwise, as you said, now you have to call to tell them you don't want an upgrade. Backwards to me.

and I am on a cruise. I dont care where I am on the ship

I'm sure there are many that feel the same way you do but there are some that don't.

We like a mini suite that is fully covered and not exposed to the elements and guests above. I book on Emerald deck for this reason. I also book online and there is no option to mark it as no upgrade.

Thank goodness for cruise critic and finding out I need to call and tell them I do not want an upgrade. Very stupid in IMHO

Seeing as Princess's own website does not have the ability to mark No Upgrade on it when making a reservation they need to change the default IMO. Too many people getting moved.

Just one more reason why one should not book direct with Princess. Another reason is that many TAs will give hefty onboard credits and other amenities (such as pre paid gratuities) not offered directly by Princess.

Hank

Just one more reason why one should not book direct with Princess. Another reason is that many TAs will give hefty onboard credits and other amenities (such as pre paid gratuities) not offered directly by Princess.

Hank

I completely agree. But it just highlights what a stupid upgrade policy they have that booking direct, there is no opt out option without calling...and how many people know to do that?

Same thing happened to us. We always book Caribe for the bigger 1/2 & 1/2 balcony...and we prefer aft. They 'upgraded' us to Aloha mid-ship. I guess they figure everyone wants to be mid-ship? Had to call and get switched back. Thankfully, our Caribe cabin was still available since this was about a month ago and we don't sail until April.

We'd love an upgrade to a mini or something some day, but if the alternative is possibly being 'upgraded' to a cabin right in front of the central elevators with a small balcony, we have no choice but to request "no upgrades" possibly missing out on a real upgrade. That's frustrating.

There must be a better way.