Cruising in late August

Doing a one week cruise from port canaveral with rci, is this a bad time of year to cruise around the Caribbean?? Seen a few comments about the hurricanes thought this was not an issue at this time?????

Not usually an issue then, but still a small chance.

It will likely be hot and humid for much of your week. And there is a chance of hurricane or other severe weather disrupting things. That being said, probably 75% of our cruises have been in late August and we'd do it again without much hesitation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The busiest time of year for hurricanes starts late August and into September. Temps will be in the 90s and likely 90% humidity. Sunny and beautiful scenery.

We went mid-August and it was fine. We also lived there and survived every August.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am interested in booking the Allure in late August. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and in the Caribbean during that time of year?

I was on the 18th August sailing on Allure this year. I was very nervous due to the prediction of a particularly bad hurricane season and there has barely been anything in comparison to previous years. I had near perfect weather the whole week but like most others have said - very hot and very humid.. very very humid!

Unfortunately, you can never tell what the weather will do regardless of what time of year you go.

I hope that whenever you choose to go you have a brilliant time!

Jo :)

Yes....hot

Yes....humid

It is called summer....

If you are a sun person, a beach person, a water person....it is WONDERFUL!

We have skirted storms, and a hurricane.... it was still hot and it was still humid....it was SUMMER...

The ship will not be put in harms way....Big investment in people and ship, Captain will alter course if weather demands it.

But be warned, it will be hot and humid....it is summer!!!!

We sailed Liberty in August and I thought I was going to die, it was so incredibly hot. As I am not a hot weather kinda gal it did bother me, but I know others love it. We also dealt with Hurricane Dean on that cruise - made for an interesting journey. :p

We also sailed on Liberty, but it was in 2010. It was terribly hot in San Juan but other than the weather was hot but not unbearable.

All I could think of is that song with the words "hot, hot, hot" after reading some of these posts. :) Have cruised the Caribbean in June, July, and August due to work schedule. Also cruised during Dec. / Jan. Typically much warmer in summer. Humidity is always there. But living close to the Gulf coast of TX, humidity is normal for us.

Hurricanes are a different story all together. Totally unpredictable. That will totally be Mother Nature's call. ;)

Edited by denamo

We did a B2B this August on Oasis and then Enchantment and had fantastic weather. Yes, it was hot, which was expected. If you're flying from the UK (thought your name may suggest this), then you'll notice the flight prices reduce towards the latter part of August. Additionally, hotel rooms in the States are also slightly cheaper at this time than say July (maybe because their schools have returned for the new term by mid August :confused:).

We have sailed in May and August and prefer May. We were booked on May 2014 Allure but 2 mos ago I saw August Allure price had dropped $300pp for our same cabin so I made the change to August. Yes I know it will be hot and humid and we probably won't use the balcony as much, but saving $600 is a no brainer to us. We have sailed Oasis 3 times and this will be our 3rd on Allure and we love this class of ship. As long as I am cruising, I'm happy.

Never ever can you predict a perfect or not so perfect cruise. There is crazy weather at any time these days. Just book it and hope for the best. I have booked in August/Sept/Oct many times with no problems. Wouldn't you know the one time I went in April was much rain. I prefer late fall and have never had a wash out or bad cruise. I have had rocking and rolling....so be prepared for that whenever you go!

Hurricane season starts to become a little more active around that time.

And cruising the Caribbean in the summer is brutal. But I won't let it destroy my vacation. And you shouldn't either. Bring plenty of sun screen, your own umbrella and summer time attire and you'll have a blast.

We sailed Sept 2013. We were lucky with the tropics being calm, but it wasn't an average year. It's all luck of the draw.

Jamaica, Cayman, and Cozumel were hot and humid like no other.

We've decided to sail in May this year. Pretty much no risk of hurricanes, tropical weather, etc, and the prices are very similar, if not less, than Aug.