Silhouette - Which Specialty Restaurant?

Erinchita

My family of four is sailing on the Silhouette on April 6 for my dad's 60th birthday. I feel like I have to qualify every post I make with the fact that I am the only one who has ever been on a cruise before - at all.

At any rate, we want to do one night in one of the specialty restaurants to celebrate this big milestone birthday - which is extra special since my dad beat cancer last year. Which restaurant do you recommend as most fitting for celebrating a very special occasion? We are kind of "foodies", FYI, and we don't have any preference on cuisine. Just want the most special, if that makes any sense.

Thank you!

I would say either Qsine or Murano. Think of Qsine as a tapas style restaurant, but instead of Spanish fare you have an imaginative take on food from all over the world. With four people you will end up sharing about 12 selections plus dessert. It's an amazing meal, and I personally think it was one of the best meals I have ever had on land or on sea. The the decor, the surprise factor of each dish that they bring out, and that every one is delicious and excellently prepared. Definitely a long meal as well. Prepare for about 3 hrs. Murano I haven't been to yet but I am very excited to try on my next cruise. Everyone on these boards say it is high French fare, and utterly decadent.

Tuscan Grille and the Lawn Club Grill also get high marks but I would not recommend them as much since they are very well done comfort food rather than something foodies would appreciate as much.

I would say it really depends on how your dad would define "special". They all have great food and great service. Does special mean fun and quirky? Then Qsine is great. Prefer more of a nice upscale Italian steakhouse? Tuscan Grille. A little fancier and perhaps a little more pretentious in feel (without being too much so) - Murano. I have not eaten at the Lawn Grill or whatever that one is called. Everyone has their favorite and a special experience means different things to different people. I am early 60's and if I had to pick, I would pick Qsine just because I think it would be the most fun with a bunch of family members. If it was just DH and myself, I would go with something more romantic like Murano or Tuscan Grille. In any case, one other thing I would do is go talk to the Maitre 'd for that restaurant the day or two before and tell him about why this is so important to you. I guarantee you will get even more superior service than you would have already and likely a very nice table as well.

I would say either Qsine or Murano. Think of Qsine as a tapas style restaurant, but instead of Spanish fare you have an imaginative take on food from all over the world. With four people you will end up sharing about 12 selections plus dessert. It's an amazing meal, and I personally think it was one of the best meals I have ever had on land or on sea. The the decor, the surprise factor of each dish that they bring out, and that every one is delicious and excellently prepared. Definitely a long meal as well. Prepare for about 3 hrs. Murano I haven't been to yet but I am very excited to try on my next cruise. Everyone on these boards say it is high French fare, and utterly decadent.

Tuscan Grille and the Lawn Club Grill also get high marks but I would not recommend them as much since they are very well done comfort food rather than something foodies would appreciate as much.

Excellent post!! another vote for Qsine or Murano!!:):)

Just off Silhouette a week ago and FWIW my recommendation for a very special meal (assuming the family members are adults) would be Murano.

The food we had was fantastic (yes, I'm somewhat of a foodie) and we enjoyed every minute of it, including tableside preparation of some dishes, and a true cheese course (not just some randomly put together cheese selections). We also thought the souffles for dessert (I had the Grand Marnier and my son had the dark chocolate) were pretty much flawless. Did we feel it was pretentious, no. Did we feel pampered, yes.

We did not go to Qsine, but in asking opinions beforehand, we read many comments suggesting the level of food there is not the same as at Murano (although I'm sure it is also very good.) What I took away from those comments was: Qsine for the fun of the experience; Murano for the quality of the food.

I would disagree very much with picking Qsine for this special occasion. Yes the food is presented in an interesting way but the food itself is very mediocre. We prefer Tuscan Grill OR the Lawn Club Grill on Silhouette. We went to the Lawn Club twice...it's just a lot of fun and great food & service. If you don't want a "formal" atmosphere I'd go there. A bit dressier(not much though) would be Tuscan Grill which we've enjoyed on several different ships. Murano is more upscale and if that is what you want you probably will enjoy that. I think Qsine would be at the bottom of my list for this kind of celebration. Enjoy, whatever you do!!:)

Guys...

45$ for a piece of BBQ meat at Lawn Club grill:eek:

Qsine is very average fare, presented in a kitchy and really not that novel way ( thing ten years ago in Europe).

Murano is a good quality restaurant with table side preparations and partly silver service. It is by far the best for the money, but still not worth the surcharge in my opinion. ( " lobster" is still the warm water type :rolleyes:)

All in all, the speciality restaurants on X are overpriced, overhyped and in dire need of a revamp and downward price adjustment

Guys...

45$ for a piece of BBQ meat at Lawn Club grill:eek:

Qsine is very average fare, presented in a kitchy and really not that novel way ( thing ten years ago in Europe).

Murano is a good quality restaurant with table side preparations and partly silver service. It is by far the best for the money, but still not worth the surcharge in my opinion. ( " lobster" is still the warm water type :rolleyes:)

All in all, the speciality restaurants on X are overpriced, overhyped and in dire need of a revamp and downward price adjustment

Despeque, please tell us how you really feel;)

To the Original Poster, I think Tuscan or Murano would be great

choices and give your Dad my best wishes:)

If you are going with children/ teenagers I would say Qsine or the Lawn Club grill. If all adults and elegant is what you are after try Murano's

Ate at Lawn club Grill and everyone who had the veal chop thought it was the best they ever had!

My family of four is sailing on the Silhouette on April 6 for my dad's 60th birthday. I feel like I have to qualify every post I make with the fact that I am the only one who has ever been on a cruise before - at all.

At any rate, we want to do one night in one of the specialty restaurants to celebrate this big milestone birthday - which is extra special since my dad beat cancer last year. Which restaurant do you recommend as most fitting for celebrating a very special occasion? We are kind of "foodies", FYI, and we don't have any preference on cuisine. Just want the most special, if that makes any sense.

Thank you!

3 yrs on the Silhouette and we have always celebrated our wedding anniversary in Muranos. Must admit we loved Qsine this year but if you want a really special atmosphere, really posh / something that bit extra for foodies then go to Muranos. We have also been to the Tuscan Grill, but looking back we would still think Muranos is the poshest !!!!

BUT - you have to try the other 3 at some point !

On another note -------- as a family affected by Cancer in the past ----- our thoughts are with you. What a wonderful thing for you all to celebrate. The Silhouette is a special ship and you will have a great time. Enjoy :D

tuscan for steaks and italian

Murano for french - most sophisticated of them all

I'd avoid qsine for that type of celebration, it's more tapas

although on silhouette the lawn grill is fun to join in - throw your own flat breads, select your meat from the fridge and help grill it

I am leaning towards Murano. I was between that and Tuscan Grill but...we are Italian and tend to have very high standards when it comes to Italian food! ;)

Hi, we are from the UK but have been to Italy many times - we liked the Tuscan Grill but it is more of a place for good steaks. We were on the IOS with Royal Caribbean for 4 days and went to Giovannis - that was an amazing Italian restaurant and far better than the Tuscan Grill. That one was real Italy!

Muranos is silver service and very special ---- the whole feel of the place is a notch above the others.

Have to say - If the view is important, then the Tuscan Grill is the best as it has the aft views.

Whatever, just don't pick the Lawn Grill or Qsine for a special foodie meal. They are great, but not for 'that' special meal.

:):D

OP...

I was a bit too harsh and critical in my previous post.

Personally, I would go for Murano for your celebration. You can find the menu on the celebrity website by the way, or just search it here on the forum... The service team will treat you like royals, do not forget to mention upfront the reason for the celebration

The other restaurants are not that special in my families opinion.

I have not tried the restaurants yet, as we do not sail until next week, but we have Murano booked for our special dinner. It was a toss up between Murano and Tuscan Grille for us. My DH is a bit of a foodie himself. The deciding factor for us was the menu. You can find the menus online on the Celebrity website. What I have gleaned from the boards is Tuscan Grill has the best view, but Murano is better food, however it is a close competition between the two on food. It depends on what is more important to you. As I said, viewing the menus helped us decide.

We love Tuscan Grill, and think it's anything but typical comfort food: braised beef short rib ravioli, truffled mushroom ravioli, arugula and goat cheese salad, and a fantastic filet. That being said, for a truly upscale special occasion we love Murano. The diver scallop Wellington is to die for, and not something I'd ever make at home. And nothing says special occasion, at least to me, like Chateaubriand for two.

Enjoy your special celebration!