Celebrity Shareholder Benefit Question

sparkers

It has been a while since I cruised with Celebrity. It seems there are more specials going on than in the past. In effect, any share holder benefit then becomes null and void. The onboard credit cannot be combined with ANY promotion or discount. In the past, I always received it.

I am curious as to what others have experienced with this if you are a shareholder?

Just a pretend benefit?

Sparks

For us, the shareholder benefit still comes in handy often enough to keep the stock. I think it depends on the type of cabin you normally get and whether or not you're using open passage certificates.

Many of the new promotions that Celebrity has offered are for OV and above cabins. So if you sail inside cabins then 123go and other promotions usually don't apply. In that case, we take advantage of the shareholder benefit.

There have also been a few times when the shareholder benefit was combinable, for instance when they had the new deployment specials for 2013 sailings.

With the recent downgrade of the passages OBC for repositioning cruises, shareholder OBC may be the best deal for those sailings as well.

I used to get OBC all the time being a shareholder. However, I have been told it is not currently combinable with any promotion or discount offered by Celebrity. We have recently been denied. On the other hand, the stock has doubled in value since we bought it and that is real good. And it pays a dividend as well.

I would not buy the stock at its current level in order to seek OBC.

If you like to book far in advance using passages, and/or are looking for the beverage package, shareholder credit is pretty much useless.

If you are flexible with your schedule, and can book after final payment to get REALLY cheap fares, shareholder credit is GREAT!

Did the Silhouette T/A last April for $599pp and got $100 OBC from an online site, AND the $250 shareholder OBC.

In November got the Reflection T/A for $449pp and got the $250 shareholder OBC.

It has been a while since I cruised with Celebrity. It seems there are more specials going on than in the past. In effect, any share holder benefit then becomes null and void. The onboard credit cannot be combined with ANY promotion or discount. In the past, I always received it.

I am curious as to what others have experienced with this if you are a shareholder?

Just a pretend benefit?

Sparks

Yes, I just ran into this yesterday with Celebrity. In the past you could combine the shareholders OBC with say the OBC from a Future cruise benefit but I was told now that I can not do this which I find disappointing as Princess allows you to combine. My thinking is that if you pay to buy their shares then you should get the benefit and if you pre-purchase Future Cruise benefits then they should apply.

We have stock with both RCCL and Carnival(HAl and Princess). Have found that RCCL stock holders credit is getting harder and harder to get. Not the case with Carnival. Even if you get obc from a TA some of it may come from RCCL and they won't let you use the stock credit too.

Yes, I just ran into this yesterday with Celebrity. In the past you could combine the shareholders OBC with say the OBC from a Future cruise benefit but I was told now that I can not do this which I find disappointing as Princess allows you to combine. My thinking is that if you pay to buy their shares then you should get the benefit and if you pre-purchase Future Cruise benefits then they should apply.

The new future cruise and book on board benefit very clearly state that they ARE combine able with one other celebrity benefit. If stockholder relations says no, that's grounds for a complaint to Bayley, feld and contacting your state consumer protection agency.

The new future cruise and book on board benefit very clearly state that they ARE combine able with one other celebrity benefit. If stockholder relations says no, that's grounds for a complaint to Bayley, feld and contacting your state consumer protection agency.

I am not sure what you mean by "new" but I did buy it on board and then used it after I had left the ship. When I bought it I had been allowed to combine the Future Cruise Credit with the Shareholders credit but now it appears that they may have changed the way they are handled to not allow both the Future Cruise credit and Shareholders credit. Celebrity/ RCC have been making so many changes that this may now be a no no. It is now a challenge to book a cruise and I have no intention of letting this get in my way of up coming cruise but I will not book future cruise benefits without being allowed to use my shareholders credits as it just does not make sense when you have or are putting out money for both.

I have no complaints about my 3.5 years of being an RCL shareholder- $500 OBC for 3 of 5 cruises and a profit of nearly 95%....

Of late, we've not been able to use the shareholder benefit due to other promotions and with the rise in share price it was time to sell.

I am not sure what you mean by "new" but I did buy it on board and then used it after I had left the ship. When I bought it I had been allowed to combine the Future Cruise Credit with the Shareholders credit but now it appears that they may have changed the way they are handled to not allow both the Future Cruise credit and Shareholders credit. Celebrity/ RCC have been making so many changes that this may now be a no no. It is now a challenge to book a cruise and I have no intention of letting this get in my way of up coming cruise but I will not book future cruise benefits without being allowed to use my shareholders credits as it just does not make sense when you have or are putting out money for both.

New means after August 1, 2013. That's when they changed the terms of the Open and Reserved passages programs. If you purchased before that then it's under the old terms which is definitely not combineable.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I think that the problem is that the book in board credit is combinable with one other, but the shareholder credit terms state that it is not combinable

All the promotions say they are not combinable. If stockholder folks are saying they are not combinable, then celebrity is doing false advertising and that should be of serious interest to their legal department.

We booked a 7 night cruise while on a cruise this past November. The promotion gave us $250 OBC and the form said it was combinable with one other offer. The rep on the ship said I could use the shareholder OBC.

I submitted it when I got home and it was rejected. I protested and was told I had to contact ______, and given that phone number. I called that number, and _________ no longer worked there, but another person in _______'s department said that it was combinable. In the end, we did get it.

Edited by Wine-O

Today I was told that the shareholder obc is not offered for group bookings. I had not heard that before.

Group bookings often have their own nice discounts; but I might've wished to compare my two bottom lines. In this case, it's a short cruise and my bottom line is very nice, so I'm happy. But I'm glad to know to pay attention, for some other unknown time in the future!

• 2 years later...

make sure you book with a cruise broker and their benefits and cruise credits are combinable with shareholders benefits... If you say get a $100 or $200 credit when you book with a company --you get cruise credits from shareholders too, no problem.

Shareholder benefits can be utilized on Transatlantic cruises. The "specials" aren't applicable for these cruises.

That is true only if you pay the full price.

If you do a group booking, as we always do, then they will kick the Shareholder OBC.

Edited by ECCruise

• 2 months later...
That is true only if you pay the full price.

If you do a group booking, as we always do, then they will kick the Shareholder OBC.

Hardly anyone pays full price (i.e. the price listed on the cruise line website) on a cruise.

A lot of shareholders are being denied although their bookings are eligible for the OBC. Senior, Resident and Police/Firefighter rates are eligible for the OBC as long as no perks or other OBCs are included in the booking.

Exception for onboard booking OBC

I have had to question the denial for my last two bookings. Even had my TA call and was told not eligible. My email questioning the denial brought about a reversal each time...Too many of those working at Investor Relations don't know the ins and outs of the credits. .You can't get good help any more!

A lot of shareholders are being denied although their bookings are eligible for the OBC. Senior, Resident and Police/Firefighter rates are eligible for the OBC as long as no perks or other OBCs are included in the booking.

Exception for onboard booking OBC

I have had to question the denial for my last two bookings. Even had my TA call and was told not eligible. My email questioning the denial brought about a reversal each time...Too many of those working at Investor Relations don't know the ins and outs of the credits. .You can't get good help any more!

Good job on your part, Hancock, and great comment! :D

I don't know why they make it so tuff, really. I think everybody should get it. People who aren't shareholders are getting whatever perks there are; shareholders should get the shareholder perk on top of the others. But nobody asked me.

Good job on your part, Hancock, and great comment! :D

I don't know why they make it so tuff, really. I think everybody should get it. People who aren't shareholders are getting whatever perks there are; shareholders should get the shareholder perk on top of the others. But nobody asked me.

I agree