Does Moving to Florida Make You a Cruiseaholic?

BHappy2Day

My husband just moved from the DC area to Central Florida, because we are, ahem, getting to near-retirement age. Before we moved, we went on the once-a-year or so cruise, lately graduating to European destination cruises and maybe looking down on the been-there-done-that Caribbean cruises.

Now that I am here and all I have to do is drive an hour or two east or west to hop on the ship, I know I have become a cruiseaholic. I don't care where it goes.

Has anyone else become cruise-crazy upon moving to Florida?

I actually cruise less since I moved To Florida . It is convenient but being surrounded by beaches I have no need to travel to another beach .My last two cruises were Alaska & New England .

I have a sister who moved from Pennsylvania to Florida (Fort Lauderdale) 30 years ago,

and has never been on a cruise... goes to Colorado for vacations !?

I moved to Florida a few years ago and have booked significantly more cruises. Removing the expense and hassle of air travel has made it to where taking a cruise is easy and inexpensive. Sooner or later will get burned out on it, but good for now.

My husband just moved from the DC area to Central Florida, because we are, ahem, getting to near-retirement age. Before we moved, we went on the once-a-year or so cruise, lately graduating to European destination cruises and maybe looking down on the been-there-done-that Caribbean cruises.

Now that I am here and all I have to do is drive an hour or two east or west to hop on the ship, I know I have become a cruiseaholic. I don't care where it goes.

Has anyone else become cruise-crazy upon moving to Florida?

Hi!

What part of Florida are you now calling home? I am in SE Michigan and we just got another 6-8 inches of snow. There is no place to put it ( at least for me) unless you can put it on top of the huge pile of snow already here! Can't wait until our March 14th sailing!

We used to live in Melbourne, 20 miles south of Port Canaveral. DH worked right across the intracoastal from the Port. We'd watch the sales & jump on good deals on 3-nighters.

I'd work til noon on Friday. Drive up to the port, pick up DH and we'd be on the ship in 20 minutes. On Monday mornings we would both be at our desks by 9 am.

So that's a long-winded way to say yes, it can absolutely make you a cruiseaholic!!

To all Floridians: are the summers unbearable?

Not at all; I thought they would be but they aren't. It never gets much over the low 90's and it will rain every day for a few minutes, enough to prevent it feeling humid and sticky all day. I moved from the Northeast and was concerned about this but it didn't materialize. When the Northeast has a week or two heat wave in the summer it is ALWAYS cooler down here and nicer. Go figure. It's 72 right now and the doors and windows are open for a gentle breeze. Live closest to Port Everglades.

I'm Canadian, from the prairies so was not used to the very high humidity. The summers aren't unbeatable, but they are really, really steamy. I never before had experienced sweat soaking my hair and clothes in 10 minutes. You do get used to it ... But you learn why people have pools.

You also quickly become acclimated to the winters. I was in Canada in November and thought I was going to freeze to death at 35 degrees ;)

My niece went from Colorado to the Tampa area and although she says it's incredibly hot in the summer she has no desire to leave. She came to Michigan last August to visit and she was quite comfy :-). We are looking all around in Florida pre-retirement. Would LOVE to be close to a port.....supports our cruise addiction!

You don't spend time outside. You go from air conditioned car to air conditioned building. Outside time happens in the evening in the screened lanai when the heat drops into the 70's. I get more sun in spring and fall than the rest of the year.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...