Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

Check out the latest Celebrity Cruises news from Cruise Critic:

Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

This is a terrible trend in my estimation. It smacks of the old 3-class system in the ocean liner days. Given present trending, many of us will be relegated to aft steerage. I seriously hope that Celebrity rethinks this awful marketing strategy.

This is a terrible trend in my estimation. It smacks of the old 3-class system in the ocean liner days. Given present trending, many of us will be relegated to aft steerage. I seriously hope that Celebrity rethinks this awful marketing strategy.

I agree.The majority of cruisers don't have the money for suites and we are what keep the cruise industry afloat.If cruisers want upscale then let them go with the luxery cruiselines.

Laura

In its entirety, this doesn't sound much different than having Blu for Aqua Class passengers and they do need to offer perks to justify the higher cost of the suites especially when other lines offering greater perks for the same amount of money, so this doesn't bother me. What concerns me, though, is that they might be taking something away from non-suite passengers. It looks like Michael's Club will become a VIP lounge for suite guests only if I'm reading the story correctly.

Not too sure how this will work. Sky suites aren't mentioned much for the perks so the numbers might be quite small. The top suites cost a great deal so Celebrity have to deliver a luxury cruise experience and they seem to be responding quite rightly to negative comments about difficulty accessing Blu on some sailings.

I know a lot of suite guests use the speciality restaurants and I wonder what the impact of all this will be - maybe less capacity will be needed. I will be sad to lose Michaels and possibly the bistro, however, things change sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse........we wont be in a top suite so it really doesn't affect me.

I think its great, this is great news for suite passengers. Honestly no one is taking anything away from anyone, michaels club is a small space and on the S class very under utlized. Everyone has the option of paying for a suite and accessing the corresponding amenities. It works that way on airlines and in hotels, why not on ships?

I tend to agree: since the press releases and information available at this point tend to exclude Sky Suites by mention, this would seem to impact a fairly low number of passengers on any given sailing.

I'm unaware of Celebrity having trouble filling the suites (at least on any sailing we've done), so why not give the suite passengers more bang for their buck?

The only downside would be if in doing so they take away a spot currently being well-utilized by we plebian passengers.

CM

I think its great, this is great news for suite passengers. Honestly no one is taking anything away from anyone, michaels club is a small space and on the S class very under utlized. Everyone has the option of paying for a suite and accessing the corresponding amenities. It works that way on airlines and in hotels, why not on ships?

Stop worrying about someone else getting more perks. Worry if someone takes something away from you.

One thing that is I have noticed these Suites do not have any Accessible Cabins / Staterooms! The closest disabled cruisers can get to suites are Sky Suites, and guess what they have been excluded! No surprise really, they wouldn't want a wheelchair or scooter in their midst.:rolleyes:

I don't see the appeal of going on a 3000 person cruise and only mingling with a hundred or so suite mates. Why not go for a smaller ship like Azmara, still in the RCI family!

Mike,

I agree, but we know that people cruise for different reasons.

We meet people on cruises that never take excursions and stay on the ship most of the time. They like what the ship offers.

We love being on the ship, but treat it like a floating hotel, so we can visit the ports we want to see.

Some people like to relax on cruises (perhaps they are still working). We are retired and can relax anywhere, so we like to do thinks on our trips.

We like the S class ships, but prefer the smaller M class. We did one cruise on the huge NCL Epic and liked it the least. It was just too many people on one ship.

I don't have a problem with cruise lines creating special bennies for suite passengers. It is like flying first class or tourist. First class is way to costly for us, even though we could afford to pay it; it is just not smart to waste you money that you can spend elsewhere.

We enjoyed Aqua class on one cruise, eating at BLU, etc. because we got an upgrade. However, not sure we would pay hundreds of dollars more just to eat in BLU.

I tend to agree: since the press releases and information available at this point tend to exclude Sky Suites by mention, this would seem to impact a fairly low number of passengers on any given sailing.

I'm unaware of Celebrity having trouble filling the suites (at least on any sailing we've done), so why not give the suite passengers more bang for their buck?

The only downside would be if in doing so they take away a spot currently being well-utilized by we plebian passengers.

CM

Actually, if your comment is correct (having no trouble filling suites) then I guess my thought would be why give them more bang for their buck? Why spend more money on suite guests, while at the same time risking annoying (or worse) the large majority, if they are having no problem filling suites?? Makes no sense to me.

We have had penthouse suites on NCL and never felt different from anyone else just because we had a separate dining room for breakfast and lunch.After teaching for many years, I do not like buffets. They remind me of the school cafeteria. It is no different from some people eating at the buffet, some in the MDR and some in specialties. This is not different from some taking ship's excursions and some taking smaller private excursions. Some people pay more on Princess to be in the sanctuary and some are happy with the main pool area. If this change makes more money for Celebrity, it will be better for all who sail Celebrity.

Hi, and here we go again, whining and complaining, are you getting what you paid for if so, what`s the problem. I can`t afford to stay in a suite but I don`t begrudge anyone who can. I`m not envious or jealous of those who want to pay for the upscale perks. I also fly coach because FIRST CLASS is too expensive. So, I know upfront what I paid for and what to expect. So if you are upset with the imaginary CLASS SYSTEM, sail on line that doesn't have one.(don`t know where you will find that line, but good luck).

Between this and the Captain's Club caste system, a first timer in a regular cabin will be little better than a galley slave.

Roy

What is all tell me is if I was crusing for the 1st time. I would want to get the high end suites. You get all the perks. You get the most points per day. Then after you get to Elite start booking none suites. The reason being is that you will now have most of the Perks that suites get. Richard

Celebrity probably turned up their noses at Norwegian when they did this with Epic .... and now they're copying them.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.:D

Celebrity is a business. Business' copy what's been successful. That's why there are so many of those reality TV shows on the air. And why there so many smartphone makers and tablet makers out there.

If there is demand for a particular product of service out there in the cruise market place it's Celebrities job, to try to profit from that demand. So I say to Celebrity - go for it! Frankly, the little bit of lost real estate for the other passengers will hardly be noticeable.

Now, if Celebrity started jamming in 50 sq. ft. cabins in on the lower decks to increase profits, I might have an issue.;)

Hi, and here we go again, whining and complaining, are you getting what you paid for if so, what`s the problem. I can`t afford to stay in a suite but I don`t begrudge anyone who can. I`m not envious or jealous of those who want to pay for the upscale perks. I also fly coach because FIRST CLASS is too expensive. So, I know upfront what I paid for and what to expect. So if you are upset with the imaginary CLASS SYSTEM, sail on line that doesn't have one.(don`t know where you will find that line, but good luck).

I have reviewed the posts and see this as a constructive discussion, and not whining and complaining (well, at least not whining). This is a noteworthy change that needs to be seriously considered by Celebrity and those that care about the brand on a going forward basis. I am looking forward to additional constructive comments that may or may not cause me to rethink my initial negative reaction to this change. I like to refer to this process as a creative dynamic.