NEW Cabin Category Classifications for 2015

Loyal2RCCL

You should be fine with the connecting cabins as RCCL told me the occupancy restrictions would be overridden if it meant keeping families together etc.

Another change coming soon is all connecting cabins are going to be sold in pairs and designated as IC, OC, BC (Interior connecting, Oceanview connecting, Balcony connecting. This is similar to the 3 cabin configuration offered on Quantum with the Single, Balcony and JS all interconnected as one cabin.

I''m glad they are going to sell connecting cabins in pairs. :)

It would have been much better if they had given a heads up on this before booking opened yesterday for Allure in Europe 2015...it would have avoided a lot of headaches and confusion.

Exactly. :mad:

This just seems ridiculous. We tried to book a D1 on Allure Transatlantic and were told they were only available for 4 people. My TA did a search on specific cabins (those without the triangle, ie not for 4 people) and they still weren't available. Later in the day they had become reclassified as a D2. We WERE able to book a JS for two though.

If what someone posted above is true and they are only doing this during peak family times good luck with them filling D1's with families on a 12 night transatlantic in October :rolleyes:

Edited by Bobal

We booked an aft JS with an E balcony that was right beside it on Liberty last week. Both these cabins have an occupancy of 4 and we booked both with 2 in each room. The CVP just called over to C&A and had them release the rooms to us.

Which sailing? I tried to book 2 into an aft with room for 4, but it was during spring break. They even called over to revenue dept, but best I could get was a waiting list for the cabin. I eventually booked a JS. I was told at peak times, they hold the high occupancy cabins for 3+ pax

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Which sailing? I tried to book 2 into an aft with room for 4, but it was during spring break. They even called over to revenue dept, but best I could get was a waiting list for the cabin. I eventually booked a JS. I was told at peak times, they hold the high occupancy cabins for 3+ pax

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

It was the week before Christmas so definitely non peak but for this years March break I was still able to get a quad JS with the kids across the hall. I Guess it depends on who you talk to.

I just did a mock booking on the Freedom in Oct (non peak) on line and it allowed me to book a D1 cabin with quad occupancy.

It looks like they are restricting the quad occupancy cabins to peak season or certain cruises just as they have done in the past.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Another change coming soon is all connecting cabins are going to be sold in pairs and designated as IC, OC, BC (Interior connecting, Oceanview connecting, Balcony connecting.

If they do this then it is going to cause a lot of confusion as the cabins which are sold under the categories, IC, OC, BC, on Quantum do not connect...they are next to each other, but no connecting door between the cabins.

RCCL is recatagorizing all cabin categories with the 2015 deployment. The categories will be based on the cabin occupancy, thereby making it easier to determine which cabins are double/triple/quad etc.

In addition, they will be putting occupancy restrictions so that a booking with only 2 people will not be allowed to book a triple or quad.

Each new deck plan will be available as each ship opens for 2015-16 deployment with the exception of Majesty and Grandeur who's cabin categories will remain as they currently are.

Huh? Does that mean a couple can't reserve an owner's suite?

This does not make sense. What happens when all the staterooms for 2 people are booked? Will RCCL tell people that all the staterooms are booked and not let them book a stateroom for 3 or 4 people? I would guess that most people who book cruises, book for 2 people per stateroom. Is the OP pulling our leg? :confused:

If they do this then it is going to cause a lot of confusion as the cabins which are sold under the categories, IC, OC, BC,

What do those categories mean?

Can someone post what all this letter number stuff stands for please??

This does not make sense. What happens when all the staterooms for 2 people are booked? Will RCCL tell people that all the staterooms are booked and not let them book a stateroom for 3 or 4 people? I would guess that most people who book cruises, book for 2 people per stateroom. Is the OP pulling our leg? :confused:

Unfortunately, no, he is serious. Just did a few dummy bookings on FOS for June 2015, and when I put in 2 passengers, the D1's didn't show up, but when I put in three, they were all available. This really s**ks for us, as we stopped cruising with our kids when they started cruising with their kids, and if we can't book our favorite D1's, our only choices will be to trade down to an E2 in a crappy location or change cruise lines. IMO, this one's going to backfire big time for RCL:mad:

Edited by orville99

Unfortunately, no, he is serious. Just did a few dummy bookings on FOS for June 2015, and when I put in 2 passengers, the D1's didn't show up, but when I put in three, they were all available. This really s**ks for us, as we stopped cruising with our kids when they started cruising with their kids, and if we can't book our favorite D1's, our only choices will be to trade down to an E2 in a crappy location or change cruise lines. IMO, this one's going to backfire big time for RCL:mad:

Couldn't agree more. One of their more stupid (and greedy) decisions :(

I agree that this will backfire for RCCL. I need a handicap room for my ECV. Therefore, I book early. If I needed a room for 3 or 4 people, I would also book early. Those who cruise last minute for better prices will not hesitate to go to the cruiseline that will accommodate any stateroom for 2 people. ;)

I have recently posted on the Quantum thread - asking about the "boxed together balcony staterooms". I now know they are the BC category but what I would still like to know is whether there is any advantage to booking BC category, rather than 2 connecting staterooms which might be in a preferred location? Any ideas? If someone books 2 "ordinary" connecting staterooms for their family, is there a danger that they might be separated? :confused:

What do those categories mean?

Can someone post what all this letter number stuff stands for please??

IC - Interior Connected stateroom with virtual balcony

OC - Ocean View Connected stateroom

BC - Ocean View Connected Stateroom with balcony

FC - Family Connected Junior Suite with balcony

This might help, it is link to Quantum details with deck plans etc

If you see two staterooms with a square round them then they are Connected staterooms.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6fd79369#/6fd79369/8

OOh I do stand corrected on something....the ICs, Ocs do now have the connecting door...they have changed the deck plans. :eek:

I remember looking at the deck plans last year and noticing how they did not have the connecting door between the staterooms so how could they really say they were "connected staterooms"....but when I just checked today...they have them with the connecting door. :eek:

I am in complete agreement with you. When we were on the Navigator this past fall, we treated our young adult children (ages 25 and 26) to the cruise. They had the deck 7 corner aft on the port side; we had the same on the starboard side. We all had a fabulous family vacation because we weren't all stuffed into the same cabin with each other! Now on the other hand, there was a couple in the deck 8 corner aft just above us who were traveling with their 25 year old son. He was in the cabin with them. Every morning at Diamond breakfast the mother would complain how miserable she was because the son stayed up late, came in late, etc etc. She couldn't catch a good night's sleep. Having him in the cabin--as much as they loved him--did NOT engender a happy family experience!

Moral of the story. Sure RCI loves families but sometimes the families that each have their own cabin have a better time. :D I hope RCI doesn't go ridiculously overboard with this concept and make some of us miserable. And I assure you. Take away the deck 7 corner aft from my husband and me and you WILL make us miserable...we ain't sharing it with anybody. Even if they're blood.

I'm all for reclassifying cabins to make them more family-friendly but let's not go overboard.

Edited by dln929
grammar

IC - Interior Connected stateroom with virtual balcony

OC - Ocean View Connected stateroom

BC - Ocean View Connected Stateroom with balcony

FC - Family Connected Junior Suite with balcony

Thank you! Starting to figure this out little by little.

Wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade all the staterooms to have the capability of sleeping 3/4 guests, as part of future drydock upgrades? E.g. at the same time as what just occurred with Navigator OTS with new cabin carpets, TV's, etc. This method would mean ensuring the sofa can convert to a bed.

By doing this, groups travelling with more than the 2 guests aren't having to cherry pick a compatible stateroom, and groups with only 2 guests (or 1 with singles supplement) aren't denied booking a specific cabin flagged as a 3/4 berth cabin, either.

And if 3rd-4th guest spots are full, then the entire ship would be sold out to cabins with >2 guests. This would require guest counts for 3rd & 4th passengers be tallied separately (or in addition to) 1st and 2nd guest counts.

Maybe my idea is logistically impractical? I'm not sure! There's one thing for sure, it couldn't be an instant role out due to the need to physically upgrade the 2-berth cabins to allow for a potential 3rd and possibly 4th guest.

I do however see merit with bundling connecting cabins together - to a point. If the connecting cabins are the last of its grade then they ought to be available individually.

Edited by marquisite

My head is spinning trying to figure all this out. RCI really needs to clarify all of this - as of now count me among those who are not at all happy :mad:

I'm with you... to just roll this major change out without a big public announcement clearly explaining the implications change is basically malpractice.

They better not mess with our D1 center hump on the year's spring break cruise. We could have upgraded to a JS but decided to get the good-sized reduction in price instead. If they want to upgrade us to a suite for no additional charge, fine, but we want the double points with it! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed yesterday when booking a cabin on Serenade that some (perhaps all, I didn't check each one) of the balcony cabins on the stern, which only hold 2 passengers, have been reclassified as D-1.

What's really ridiculous a out this policy, if they do enforce it, is that RCI can't fill every berth on the ship because they don't have the lifeboat space. Many cabins for 3/4 will still only have 2 people in them, but RCI will have annoyed those people who have likely developed a liking for a particular cabin over one or more cruises by not allowing them to book the cabins they want in the first place. IMO they would be better served by bumping people out of cabins if they need them for a larger group - they do that now, so I don't know what they stand to gain with this new policy.

And going back into existing reservations and booting people out is a sure way to drive them to the competition. Its a pity that they can't seem to develop a policy, publicize it and then enforce it, rather than doing their usual stumble at the starting line.

Edited by critterchick

I missed reading about the new policy until I saw the other thread about the letter to Adam Goldstein. In looking at the deck plans, I can see where this policy would be a problem for a couple looking for a D balcony in a prime location (hump or aft) on a Voyager or Freedom class ship. (I didn't look at Radiance or Vision). I'm not at all familiar with Oasis class, but in looking at those deck plans, it appears that there is a small hump on the forward part of the ship with bigger balconies...those are all D-1 on the plans I looked at, and so would be restricted from booking by a couple.:( This policy could also be a problem for someone who wanted to book a JS or full suite, and have family in a nearby balcony, unless Royal Caribbean is willing to override the system to do the booking.

Is this truly a new policy, or is it just better labeling and enforcement of what's always been in place at peak times?

I assume (and hope!) this new policy doesn't apply to Junior Suites or suites since those all sleep more than 2 people.

I agree with blocking connecting cabins for those specifically looking to book them, but if that's the only choice left in a category I think the room should be released. When I booked my April cruise on the Navigator almost a year in advance, I took the last non-connecting GS on the ship. A couple have opened up here and there since final payment, but for the most part, full suites have been sold out since last April.