when did cruising become so sloppy

toxicfairy

I think we need to try Celebrity.

With Royals prices not rising with inflation... how can I put this nicely.... The clientele isn't what it once was, which changes the atmosphere, thus more tuxedo tshirts when they aren't appropriate ;).

Lol, that does seem to be the attitude of some people on this thread...... I'm assuming that the ;) at the end of your post meant the whole post was tongue in cheek - if not my response would have been totally different.

Gill

I have a hard enough time looking after myself let alone worrying about what others are doing, especially if it not effecting me at all. I was lucky years ago to realize that the only thing I can change is me! I cannot change anyone else so why even try! Life became much easier when I realized that I cannot change others.

well said

All that is needed for the triumph of bad behavior is for good people to do nothing. Peer pressure, the good kind, makes for a more civilized society. Turning our heads and ignoring bad behavior because it is none of our business allows the bad behavior to escalate. Bad behavior happens all around us, not just on cruise ships.

Having the right to do something is not the same as doing what is right.

Where is the LIKE button when you need it! I totally agree with this one!

Have to disagree. Society is very casual now and that is reflected in cruises. I'm fine with casual attire within reason (slacks, shoes, collared shirt) in the dining room and really don't care that much anyhow. Why not be comfortable I say. I'm there for a break from stress, not worry about whether someone is wearing a tux or slacks and a polo. I do wear a suit on 1st formal night but after that I'm not.

Well as I first stated it is just my feelings and I don't expect everyone to agree. No matter where you are from you know what is expected when you vacation. Yes I realize it is a " suggested" dress code but lets get real that is what they want you to wear that evening. I guess it was our last two cruises that I just thought ,is this for real?? Kids in dirty clothes, filthy sneakers and baseball hats, running around the MDR. One kid was actually hanging between two chairs rocking back and forth like he was on monkey bars. The waiter nearly tripped. So the kid climbed onto the chair dirty sneakers up on top.

Last cruise baseball caps ( and please ,anyone over 30 knows you don't wear it at the table) on during the whole meal.

Now did it " ruin" my cruise? No of course not but it did ruin my dinning experience. I like to use manners and I'd like to sit with and near others that use manners too.

I'm really not.a snob, I swear. But most people know whats expected and if no one followed the suggested rules then what we would have left would be a floating camp ground....well :) the camp grounds we go to actually enforce their rules...lol.

As far as the person who called formal night the " geriatric prom" I'm not sure where you cruise but I'm not geriatric and neither were about 70 percent of the people on my last 4 cruises. Perhaps a family.cruise line is not your thing. They do have lines that are more party friendly.and your never suggested to dress up

Well you've managed to start yet another pointless dress code thread, which I'm sure was your intent.

Cruising today on the mass market lines is what it is, and isn't going to change. If you don't like "non-conformists" on formal nights you should do some research and spend the money to travel with the tux crowd elsewhere. Otherwise as someone else noted, stop worrying about things you can't change and enjoy your vacation.

Personally I could care less what anyone else wears in the MDR. On our upcoming cruise we'll be at Chop's/Portofino 4 nights and Windjammer 3. It has nothing to do with clothing - we just got very tired of the chaotic, loud atmoshpere in the MDR. Beautiful decor but average food with entree choices we weren't interested in most nights.

Well thank you for informing me of what my intentions were. I'll be certain to ask you before my next post to make sure it is ok with you. Since apparently you read minds:rolleyes:

You know I can't control other people for what they do. I am not going to let it bother me. I do agree about parents if they let their children run wild. But even trying to say something to them may get you in trouble. I am going to enjoy my cruise or land vacation no matter what.

the bottom line to all these thread is.. RCI has no intention of enforcing their suggestions. so, if someone wants to cruise with a line that is willing to enforce their rules you need to 'move on up' in your choices.

the mass market lines aren't going to enforce their suggestions as doing so will take money from their bottom line.

let's face it caribbean cruising is basically a party boat. expecting anything close to formal is stretching things. on a TA or Med cruise fashion in the dining areas seems several steps up from drinking ones way through the caribbean.

Yes I realize it is a " suggested" dress code but lets get real that is what they want you to wear that evening.

Kids in dirty clothes, filthy sneakers and baseball hats, running around the MDR. One kid was actually hanging between two chairs rocking back and forth like he was on monkey bars. The waiter nearly tripped. So the kid climbed onto the chair dirty sneakers up on top.

Last cruise baseball caps ( and please ,anyone over 30 knows you don't wear it at the table) on during the whole meal.

Now did it " ruin" my cruise? No of course not but it did ruin my dinning experience.

If RCCL wanted you to dress a certain way, they WOULD ENFORCE it. They choose not to. You seem to continue to focus on the negatives. You said it yourself; 70% of the room follows your interpretation of the guidelines. Why not focus on that?

You are the only one responsible for allowing these issues to "ruin" your dining experience.

Edited by comxkid

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

I agree whole-heartily! But I don't think it is isolated to the cruising industry. I think it is because Americans have become slobs. We are lazy, fat, and consuming a killing diet. We do not care about appearances, rules, or authority. JMO, so you can sling all of the dung you want!

I agree whole-heartily! But I don't think it is isolated to the cruising industry. I think it is because Americans have become slobs. We are lazy, fat, and consuming a killing diet. We do not care about appearances, rules, or authority. JMO, so you can sling all of the dung you want!

Wow! A lot of generalization in that statement. I bet you're a joy to sit with at the dining table.

sounds just like our parents were telling us back when the Beatles arrived in the US

Edited by Sherlock43031

The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares.

1.) Society has moved on to become more casual. A lot of people don't share your view of formality.

2.) I think seeing people dressed up would be quite a ways down in a priority list of what most people like about cruising, much less love about it.

3.) Just because other people don't dress according to your values does not mean they do not 'care.'

4.) Many people who dressed formally in the past (in society in general) did so out of obligation, not preference. For many, such obligations were something of a social tyranny many are now happy to overthrow.

5.) Often criticisms on the forum about 'selfish' people who 'think it's all about them' and only behave to suit themselves seem to translate to people who don't realize it's 'all about me & people who think like I do' and don't behave to suit 'us.'

While there are obviously people who enjoy practicing and viewing formal dress, and venues in which it dominates, there are also many people who do not, and a family vacation line will cater to the tastes of families.

Richard.

Speak for yourself :rolleyes:

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

Like YOU stated your OPINION, THEY are stating THEIR OPINION!

Nothing sloppy about that.

I agree and I abide by the rules. If we do not feel like dressing up we go to the buffet on formal nights.

I really think the issue is the cruise lines themselves have become slack and choose not to enforce a dress code (except for HAL).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is good that I have no intention of cruising on HAL, from what I have heard. Our society in general has become a little less formal. Unfortunately, the company my husband works for still requires a suit and tie, and shiny dress shoes everyday....so vacation isn't often going to mean we pack his tux and a formal gown for me. He doesn't even want to bring a suit....it's vacation, not a reminder of work.

We enjoy the MDR and have NO intention of choosing a different dining option, just because OTHERS are in their formal attire. We won't come to the dining room in our beachwear, nor cargo shorts, but business casual and nice comfortable shirts and shoes. I can imagine much more casual to wear. I would not come to the MDR, in clothes I would be wearing at a local beach pub on a hot steamy evening (we live in S. Florida).

But I resent others telling me what MY VACATION DRESS should be....it is why I won't cruise on HAL, for sure.

When you have cabins priced at under $100pp per nite, you attract all kinds of people. We have had table mates that lived in a trailer park, so cruising is no longer an elegant experience. If that is what you want, go on a luxury line, don't complain that some passengers on a mass market cruise line don't act and dress like royalty. Have you ever seen the dress styles at Disney, and that is more upscale than cruising.

The title infers that this is about dress code but the post then discusses waiting in line, paying for extras and lack of parenting...I'll stick with dess code.

I think cruising became more casual because society became more casual and the targeted passenger base for mass market, affordable cruises hasn't attended many, if any, formal events. If people are coming into the MDR in jeans, shorts or tank tops then I haven't noticed. My observation has been that people have showered and put on clean clothes and, for the most part, are dressed the same as if they were going out to eat at a decent restaurant. Good enough for me!

On formal night most of the MDR female diners that I have paid attention to were at least wearing a cocktail dress or dress pants and a dressy top. The majority of men are wearing a suit or a sports coat. This is the same attire most people wear when dining in a nice restaurant. This isn't 4 star dining so to expect people to dress as if it is 5 star dining isn't going to happen in this day and age on RCI. Heck, formal dress isn't even suggested attire for the nicer, for a fee, restaurants.

I think that the only reason there are still formal nights is for the photographers and for people that want the opportunity to purchase pictures of themselves dressed up.

If RCCL wanted you to dress a certain way, they WOULD ENFORCE it. They choose not to. You seem to continue to focus on the negatives. You said it yourself; 70% of the room follows your interpretation of the guidelines. Why not focus on that?

You are the only one responsible for allowing these issues to "ruin" your dining experience.

. . . but then what would people complain about on here (besides tipping and smoking policies)? ;)

I agree. Unless behavior is really flagrant/bothersome, what's the use in getting bothered over it? If it's that bothersome, there are plenty other cruise lines (or vacations) out there to try.

There are other, more upscale cruise lines that you can try if you're looking for something more formal.

Also, I think you'd be a lot happier if you didn't let what other people think bother you so much.

I also agree with you.

Its what our society has become. Have you looked around at the grocery store, restaurants or mall lately? Flying also has me cringing lately, some of these people look like they just rolled out of bed! Some you wonder if they even showered? :eek:

I believe that we have entered a new wave of cruising...casual, come as you are kind of thing. Until cruise lines either change their policy or enforce the current suggested dress codes things will not change, it will only become the new way of cruising.

I say if you like to dress up, please do! :)

We went to Tahiti on vacation one year. Our return flight departed at around 6pm. It was a 12-13 hour flight back to florida. I flew in pj's, pants and a shirt. I did not care what anyone thought of how I looked. Flying sucks to begin with and I wanted to be comfortable for that amount of time. Back in the day people used to wear suits to fly but times change.

And yup I sometimes run into the store not looking my best. IMO people spend way to much time worrying about what strangers are doing. You can't control it so it's a waste to worry about it.

And for the person that said it ruins their dining, wow. To let something so petty ruin any part of your vacation is mind boggling to me. I would hate to see how it would be ruined if you had an actual problem.