Thoughts on proposing mid cruise?

onthefence22

Hi All,

First time poster here. I will be on my first cruise in early April aboard the Celebrity Reflection. I'm toying with the idea of proposing mid cruise but have not made up my mind. This is a thought I just had recently with as I know it will catch my girlfriend completely off guard.

Does any one have tips, advice, ideas, on the subject? I would really appreciate general advice but here are a few specific questions as well: How to travel with the ring? Best place to propose? (Thinking about upgrading to a balcony) Will celebrity assist either by staffing help or free upgades/goodies?

Thank you very much in advance.

My advice - be 1,000% sure she will say yes. A 'no' 'maybe' or other non-committal would make for a very, very awkward last half of the cruise.

So if you are going ahead anyway, there are several options depending on your desire for a private moment, or a 'celebrate with the crowds' type of thing. If the latter, a proposal in one of the Specialty restaurants would be very nice. If you want to really go public, you could probably convince the Cruise Director at one of the evening shows to call you both up to the front of the theater for the big moment. I saw this done at a concert once (not on the ship). A great private moment could be someplace quiet on the outside deck late at night under the light of the moon - very romantic.

You might be able to get cruise staff to help with the proposal somehow, but other than that not likely to get any 'perks' per se. Good luck!!

Hi All,

First time poster here. I will be on my first cruise in early April aboard the Celebrity Reflection. I'm toying with the idea of proposing mid cruise but have not made up my mind. This is a thought I just had recently with as I know it will catch my girlfriend completely off guard.

Does any one have tips, advice, ideas, on the subject? I would really appreciate general advice but here are a few specific questions as well: How to travel with the ring? Best place to propose? (Thinking about upgrading to a balcony) Will celebrity assist either by staffing help or free upgades/goodies?

Personally, I would do it on the first night. Book the Murano and let the RM know of your plans. Then wait for dessert, while consulting the Menu, just casually ask what would you like. Await the reply, and then say "For me, I would just love to marry you" and with that produce the ring box.

Just an idea, and have no doubt that many CC romantics would have some great suggestions:D;)

A very romantic thought....and one you probably should go through with. One caveat of course, I hope you're sure she'll say yes .... because if she doesn't, it could be embarrassing/uncomfortable :)

As to a location....I have not been on the reflection, but most ships have a special room in murano where they keep wine...and they have a table so you can dine in that smaller area. If the reflection has one....it might be possible to reserve that room (exclusively?) one night....it would be very memorable.

Alternatively, you might contact the captain's club host/hostess when you get on board and ask if it would be possible to eat at the captain's table one night during the cruise...explaining that during the dinner, you would like to propose to your girlfriend. Likely they will do this for you...and the captain will surely buy you some champagne.

As far as the ring...make sure it's insured before you leave the store. (add it specifically to your homeowners/renters insurance policy so it's fully covered). Then you can carry it in your pocket and put it in your room safe. Not sure how you keep your fiance from seeing the box though. Alternatively, you could just keep it in your suitcase under the bed...it is insured and there really isn't a theft problem on cruise ships. The key is to have the insurance which you won't need, but you know you have it, just in case. It's also possible that they have safes at the guest service area...I've never asked.

Thank you to the first responders. To answer some of the initial concerns, the answer will be a guaranteed yes. When you know, you know!

She is not one for public displays, so I'm thinking something more private or intimate. I do like the ideas of a private table away from the masses.

Also, thank you very much for the insurance advice. I will make sure everything is set up before picking up the ring.

One important note regarding the ring. Be sure you carry the paperwork showing where you bought the ring. If she wears a gleaming new engagement ring off the ship, customs may question if the ring was purchased in the Caribbean. So be sure you have the paperwork in your possession as you exit the ship (in your carryon or on your person).

Regarding the proposal itself, some good suggestions above. I would suggest whatever you choose for the method, select a "formal" night so you are dressed up and arrange to have a photo session afterwards. It will be great to show friends and family later. (If you give the photographers advance notice, they can probably arrange a special session for you).

on a cruise during Karaoke which a rarely go to. Two couples traveling together the guys would sing the girls would sing and then the guy does a duet with his girl and with the help of the staff cuts the song and proposes right there. Her face was enough to give every one chills because she was so surprised and said yes a thousand times over. It really went well and was so adorable. I guess it depends on the woman you want to marry, does she like surprises? Or the dinner and the suggestion of skipping desert and committing to marriage sounded very sweet. Of course once she says yes you should go see cruise sales and rebook the ship for your honeymoon. Good luck with whatever you decide. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience.:)

i did it on the enchantment of the seas.

after dinner i took her for a walk on the top deck, we were alone under the stars....

it was beautiful and she was "enchanted"

it was dark and i opened the ring box upside down, thank goodness it didnt fall out!

The biggest challenge was boarding with it, you have to empty your pockets you know.

i put it in my camera bag and they never looked inside, just xrayed the bag. it would have ruined the surprise if i had to open it for the inspector

I was actually proposed to on Oasis this past year and I will say I was completely shocked.

He was able to hide the ring in his shoe going through security at the airport and kept the ring in his wallet in the safe. He didn't need his wallet on board since all you have to carry around is the key card! ( So I def didn't suspect that). He proposed on the first port day which was tech day 3 so I was already thrown off. I figured if a man was to propose he would do it early and then can relax and breathe etc etc.

He did hire a photographer and was there to capture the moment. He did it in the chapel at the top of the boat (which had an AMAZING sunset with panorama views).

There were a few slip ups that had I thought about it- could have prob guessed but wouldn't have changed a thing.

One thing to think about- if you involved a photographer and dealing with guest services. make sure when they call you in your room, you have a good lie to tell your soon to be fiance. They called when I was in the room confirming the time with him (which I didn't know obviously) but I thought something was wrong with your Credit Card so I wanted to go down and talk to them.

He wouldn't let me lol so he had to think of a good reason as to why they were calling. He ended up telling me his parents sent us something nice for our vacation and to pick it up later. Little did I know, I was getting the ring that very night.

BEST OF LUCK T YOU!!! :)

I would definitely not put the ring in checked luggage, if you are flying to the cruise. You need to have it in your carry-on. When you go through security, maybe you can be a bit slow so she gets ahead of you, in case they have to have a look in the "box".

If you want it private, the lawn area on the Reflection is lovely esp on a moon lit night. As others have said a Speciality restaurant would be great too.

I hope it all goes well and that you live a long and happy life together.

Aw, I think this is very sweet. A lovely evening under the stars, the ocean stretching in every direction . . . what could be more romantic? It's good to hear that you know your intended's desire for a more private experience and won't be springing a public proposal on her.

As far as the ring goes, you may want to propose with a fake ring - a ring pop or a gumball machine ring, then give her the real one when you get home. Admittedly, that takes the fun out of her seeing the real ring and getting to wear it right away (although unless you know her ring size, she's likely to need it resized, anyway), but it does at least eliminate the worries of getting the real ring aboard safely and secretly.

Good luck!

I wouldnt take a ring.

Propose to her.

Then go shopping with her in the duty free shops in the Caribbean and let her pick out her own ring.

My wife and I shopped for her ring together 48 years ago and she never wanted to change it. Many friends and relatives have "upgraded" theirs many times but my wife says there is no way that hers can be improved. She has purchased a lot of other precious stones but to her that one is the most precious.

💍💎

Just another thought to consider as you say she wouldn't like a big production. There are some absolutely beautiful beaches on St Thomas and St Maarten. Consider heading to the beach, stay away from topless or nude beaches, take a walk on the beach, enjoying the ocean looking for shells. Bend down to pick up a shell then look up at her and propose. If you really wanted to complete the image, but a couple clam shells and put the ring inside. When you "pick up" the shell you found, open it and pop the question.

On St Thomas Emerald beach is beautiful and never overly crowded. But I would choose Honeymoon Beach on Water Island. It's a little more work to get to, but if you go in the morning, it will be secluded. Last time there, my wife and I caught the morning shuttle and were the only ones there outside the sail boats moored of the coast.

Our son proposed to his wife (in private) on the last night of a Baltic cruise they took with us on Connie in 2006. He designed a very beautiful ring (he went to Jared) which he carried with him and kept in the safe. She was thrilled, and made a very expensive phone call to tell her parents at home! It was a delightful end to a great cruise. Best wishes to you both.

Hi All,

Just a thought... maybe propose at a special place a day or so before you cruise.

Usually there is a long list of people to call which could be challenged on a cruise. This way she can wear her ring and you can relax and look forward to a great vacation and celebrate all week. Don't have to worry about the intrigue of the ring smuggling etc. and I am sure the cruise will always be a significant memory.

Hi All,

My father did something sort of similar when his wife turned 50. They were booked for a trip to Europe and to sail back on the QEII and her actual birth date was during the cruise. He had a neighbor camp out and watch the mail box and when her AARP membership arrived they secreted it away for him.

On board he spoke to the CD and guest services and asked if it would be possible to dine with the Captain on her special birthday and present her gift. They arranged it and at dinner with the Captain and all the other table guests he gave her the AARP envelope. :eek: Thankfully she has a sense of humor and he followed it up with fabulous jewelry.

Not all women appreciate a completely public proposal like in the theater, MDR, or on the kiss camera at a professional sporting event. Give it a little thought and the perfect idea will come to you. If you are not certain she is on the same page private is better and at the end of the cruise otherwise the second half of the cruise could be very awkward if she says no.

Thank you for all the helpful advice (except that one commenter...I'd rather get married then be a Dook fan!)

I have a ring picked out already (we've discussed what she wants so it is going to be perfect) and to calm everyone's nerves it is a guaranteed yes so we can stop talking about awkwardness if she says no. Trust me on this one!

I think the most helpful advice has been ring transportation which I really appreciate! I'm leaning towards upgrading and doing it privately on the balcony. If you have any ideas geared towards this, I'd love to hear them.

Personally, what I would find cool is if you could arrange for the ring box to be found by her with a proposal note - say, with room service breakfast or in a wine bucket or something of the sort. Obviously, you have to find a guaranteed method of doing this without her accidentally tossing/losing the ring...:rolleyes:

If you are going to do it on the balcony, I think either ordering breakfast (and a bottle of champagne) or dinner (from the MDR menu) and setting it up on the balcony would be nice. Then at some point during it you could propose.

I, personally, think the breakfast one is preferred. The sunlight will really make the diamond sparkle and then she'll have all day afterwards. Chances are she won't be able to sleep much after anyways!

Thank you for all the helpful advice (except that one commenter...I'd rather get married then be a Dook fan!)

I have a ring picked out already (we've discussed what she wants so it is going to be perfect) and to calm everyone's nerves it is a guaranteed yes so we can stop talking about awkwardness if she says no. Trust me on this one!

I think the most helpful advice has been ring transportation which I really appreciate! I'm leaning towards upgrading and doing it privately on the balcony. If you have any ideas geared towards this, I'd love to hear them.

If you do upgrade to a balcony, you'll be able to have dinner served on the balcony, and can have a bottle of champagne chilled and ready to celebrate. You could ask the room steward to bring both the champagne and roses after you propose and she says yes.

I just want to wish you all the best and a lifetime of happiness and joy together. When you get home, if you'd like, I am sure we would all like to hear how and where you decided to propose! Have a wonderful cruise and congratulations to you both.