Elite Status "The Easy Way"

hoosier_done_it

Yes, but the financial benefit is only part of it. They got two cruises they wouldn't have had otherwise. It's difficult to put a monetary value on the sheer joy of being out on the sea! :)

Absolutely! Some of the best cruise friends we have made were like-minded Pacific North Westerners (both American and Canadian) doing Coastals for fun and status. We have sailed with some of these folks 5 or 6 times.

I guess it must now be just for fun as we just did two more Coastals in May with two of these couples and by that time we had all already qualified for Elite. :p

We have also taken our children (adult) and some employees along on some of the short cruises as a treat for them (and us). Living in Seattle, Alaska is always an easy and quick get away when we find a last minute smoking deal, which we are looking for right now. As soon as we find one, we will book with some other retired friends and take off.

I guess I would classify our achievement of Elite status as the Easy/Fun way.

Edited by PunkiC

We think we got there the best way as we didn't get our 15 cruises in the days when that was all that counted until we had 350 days. And enjoyed them all.:D

I refused to get caught up in the loyalty level "status" thing, and, from the beginning, we cruised the cruises we wanted to cruise, with no thought to cruise line. I knew it might take us longer, but we would not spend a penny on a cruise just to achieve a higher status. It's served us well, and now, after almost 17 years of cruising, we still cruise around, even if we get no benefits (a la HAL). That mindset has also allowed me to remain unperturbed when there are changes in loyalty program benefits, which every cruise line will roll out at some point in time, or when others achieve a level the "easy" way.

I refused to get caught up in the loyalty level "status" thing, and, from the beginning, we cruised the cruises we wanted to cruise, with no thought to cruise line. I knew it might take us longer, but we would not spend a penny on a cruise just to achieve a higher status. It's served us well, and now, after almost 17 years of cruising, we still cruise around, even if we get no benefits (a la HAL). That mindset has also allowed me to remain unperturbed when there are changes in loyalty program benefits, which every cruise line will roll out at some point in time, or when others achieve a level the "easy" way.
We are similar except that we finally reached Elite on Princess after three short cruises on the Ruby in the past six months--two 4-night cruises back to back in December and a 5-night in May. We did not specifically take these cruises to pad our cruise history. They ended up being the best options for DH's school breaks.

In our 25 years together, we've taken 15 cruises on non-Princess ships as well. I don't usually look at cruises on lines other than Holland America and Celebrity. Those are the two lines that are closest to Princess in overall experience. They do some things better than Princess does, but Princess does some things better than they do. The past-passenger benefits are one of the things that has worked well for us on Princess.

You can sail solo in a full suite on the one day repos between Seattle and Vancouver that Princess does to satisfy the requirements of the PVSA. You get one additional cruise credit for paying for a suite and one additional cruise credit for paying the single supplement. You can be Elite after cruising only five days. A Vista suite on the May 2 cruise on the Golden is $299/person plus $160 in port fees. One cruise would cost $678 so you could potentially become Elite for less than $3,500. Of course that is only practical if you live near Seattle/Vancouver.

Even cheaper, you could sail on the one day cruises in an inside on eight cruises and become Elite with 16 cruise credits. The May 2 cruise would cost $218 so you could become a Elite for less than $1,800.

The costs above assume future cruises would cost the same as the May 2 cruise on the Golden and above prices are some of the cheapest I have seen. Even with slightly higher fares you can probably become Elite fairly in expensively if you want to.

There was a post last year from a couple who lived in the area. I believe they wanted to become Elite before a later long cruise and they did two of the one days and each booked a suite of their own. One of the ships actually gave them the first night complementary dinner that is only supposed to be on cruises of six days or longer and they both got mini-bar set-ups on both cruises. Princess does about two of these cruises in the spring and an additional two in the fall. This option has been available for quite some time. What I think a lot of people are complaining about recently is the offering of shorter 3/4/5 day cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale, Los Angeles and Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Before you envy Seattle and Vancouver residents too much; some details. The one day cruises are very limited. They are repositioning only and are offered in May and September. Keep in mind that for most people, they end up being costly for what they are. You still need transportation to the port, parking, there's taxes and tips, and incidentals that always add up while you are traveling. Because of the Jones Act, you can't BTB them with another trip easily. I've done this for get-aways with friends just for fun because we live in Seattle and it's easy for us, but it always costs more than it seems like it will.

It's much easier for Floridians to become elite with standby and state only pricing, and buses that take them to the port. And now, for people in LA, there are many short cruise options as well. I don't blame anyone for cruising often if it's cheap and convenient. If I could live in Florida and do this, I most certainly would!

---Disclaimer for those who enjoy slamming "cheat elites"--I've been cruising Princess since I was young, which I am not anymore; and have many more than the minimum days at sea for elite that way, too. The one dayers, for me, were just for fun. Even for a day it's nice to be on a ship!---

It would appear that one of the "easy ways" is blocked. I just got off the phone after talking to "Steve" at Princess and he was quite clear that the idea of Captain's Circle credit for two cruises when booking a suite for one cruise is a fairy tale. He was quite emphatic, "one cruise gets one credit for Circle status regardless of the class of cabin booked."

Totally agree - We live in Seattle and have often thought about the "1 day" cruises to pad our way but its just not worth it. With the port charges/taxes and "getting back" it quickly gets up towards $800-$1000 which is almost half of a full 7 day cruise for us. The benefits gained from elite don't really make sense for us to "accelerate" getting there. We book on price and itinerary only and have our cruises mixed across Princess (28 days, soon 35 across 4 cruises), HAL (48 days, across 2 cruises) and NCL (21 days, soon to be 28 across 4 cruises).

So it will take us quite some time to get to elite but for a few internet mins and to save $5-$50 on laundry its not worth accelerating it.

It would appear that one of the "easy ways" is blocked. I just got off the phone after talking to "Steve" at Princess and he was quite clear that the idea of Captain's Circle credit for two cruises when booking a suite for one cruise is a fairy tale. He was quite emphatic, "one cruise gets one credit for Circle status regardless of the class of cabin booked."

"Question: How many cruise credits can I earn per cruise?

Answer: Most passengers will receive one credit per cruise. Passengers who pay for and sail in a full suite will earn 2 cruise credits; Passengers sailing alone in a cabin and paying the exclusive occupancy fare will earn 2 cruise credits; Passengers who sail alone in a cabin and pay for the exclusive occupancy fare for a full suite will earn 3 cruise credits."

I would direct Steve to check out the "CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY

" section in the captain circle on the webpage

So it will take us quite some time to get to elite but for a few internet mins and to save $5-$50 on laundry its not worth accelerating it.

But isn't it priceless waving your black card around foolishly and raising your voice thinking your are better than everyone priceless?/? (I don't mean you, but I have seen it)

Really!!

Well, unless the rules have changed very recently, Steve has given you an incorrect answer. Maybe he misunderstood the question.

I stay in suites, the last time being in January this year, and I definitely got double cruise credits, but not double days.

Oops sorry someone already corrected Steve - No delete button

Edited by Corfe Mixture

But isn't it priceless waving your black card around foolishly and raising your voice thinking your are better than everyone priceless?/? (I don't mean you, but I have seen it)

Yeah its crazy. Locking into one cruise line only just isn't worth it for what amounts to some internet minutes and $10-$50 of free laundry.

Now I get that the laundry benefit is worth more on a longer cruise but even on the 41 day HAL cruise we took last year it was only $250 for unlimited laundry. For us that length of cruise while we're still working is an abnormality (I received a sabbatical) so generally for our regular 7-14 day cruises I'd be saving perhaps $10-$50 on laundry max. Its not worth being loyal to one line for that. Now once we do hit elite naturally - sure nice perk but it wouldn't make me select Princess over a line with a lower fare/deal or better itinerary....

Edited by pmd98052

Princess should follow HAL approach, 200 and 500 cruise days to reach their highest loyalty level. This way you really stand out and get the treatment of a loyal customer. IMHO

I have no idea what this means.

I don't want to stand out; I can't imagine anything more embarrassing than being pointed out and fawned over by staff. And I get treated just fine right now: I consider free internet and my eventual promotion to free minibars and laundry to be very nice treatment for my loyalty. Especially considering that loyalty is evinced by nothing more than spending some money on their product, in exchange for which I'm getting a pretty great vacation. It's not like my loyalty is demonstrated by dodging live grenades or belly-crawling through barbed-wire ravines under machine-gun fire to reach the gangway.

It's not like my loyalty is demonstrated by dodging live grenades or belly-crawling through barbed-wire ravines under machine-gun fire to reach the gangway.

That is reserved for those with Gold and Ruby status.

I think the title of this thread is miss leading. I think it should be changed to Elite Status "The Quick and Expensive way". I don't see the point of a 1 day cruise even if you live on the west coast. The cost to fly or rent a car to drive back wouldn't be worth it for some free laundry and bar set up and the time it would take just to embark and disembark. Apparently the folks in Florida aren't taking advantage of the 4 and 5 day cruises to boost their status since Princess has been giving those away for free and has had to reduce the prices. It would be nice to be Elite but I would rather have sailed 15 seven day cruises on various cruise lines than sail 15 short cruises on just Princess. I am Platinum and have yet to sail on Princess as a Platinum. At this point in my life working full time and putting 2 kids through college Celebrity has had the best deals and itineraries for my needs. After reading all of the complaints about the free laundry for elites last year on the Royal I am wondering if this is even a perk. I could have done my own laundry in an hour and not have to wait for days to get my underwear back. Even the free internet is not a real perk anymore unless you have a lot of sea days. There are many free hot spots in port with a better connection.

Princess should follow HAL approach, 200 and 500 cruise days to reach their highest loyalty level. This way you really stand out and get the treatment of a loyal customer. IMHO
I disagree. We're halfway to being 3-star Mariners in HAL's program. I'm betting we eventually make it to being 4-star ones. The benefits don't seem to be as good to me. After 200 cruise credits for 4-star status, we'll get half off the specialty restaurants and wine packages. We'll have to reach 500 cruise credits to get half off a 100-minute Internet package. In other words, Princess gave us something free after five cruises that HAL charges half price for after 50 or so cruises.

What many people forget when they mention that someone got to the Elite level the easy way is the other easy way..

The other way is to take a travel agent course, take a test and be

awarded the Commodore level and Elite without ever having to sail on a Princess ship or any ship for that matter.

Yes lets not forget the other easy way...

I think the title of this thread is miss leading. I think it should be changed to Elite Status "The Quick and Expensive way". I don't see the point of a 1 day cruise even if you live on the west coast.

I don't think everyone who cruises Princess on long or short cruises does it just for the status points. Some people do these short cruises just to be on the sea! I think I agree with you about the title of the thread (which has been around forever) in that becoming Elite is not some chore that can be done the easy or the hard way. Slogging along, taking cruise after endless cruise, just so that someday someone will wash your knickers for you. ;) One day or 30, when I'm cruising on the ocean, I'm happy. Becoming Elite would just be a side effect. :D

I think the title of this thread is miss leading. I think it should be changed to Elite Status "The Quick and Expensive way". I don't see the point of a 1 day cruise even if you live on the west coast. The cost to fly or rent a car to drive back wouldn't be worth it for some free laundry and bar set up and the time it would take just to embark and disembark. Apparently the folks in Florida aren't taking advantage of the 4 and 5 day cruises to boost their status since Princess has been giving those away for free and has had to reduce the prices. It would be nice to be Elite but I would rather have sailed 15 seven day cruises on various cruise lines than sail 15 short cruises on just Princess. I am Platinum and have yet to sail on Princess as a Platinum. At this point in my life working full time and putting 2 kids through college Celebrity has had the best deals and itineraries for my needs. After reading all of the complaints about the free laundry for elites last year on the Royal I am wondering if this is even a perk. I could have done my own laundry in an hour and not have to wait for days to get my underwear back. Even the free internet is not a real perk anymore unless you have a lot of sea days. There are many free hot spots in port with a better connection.

Well said sir.....:):):)

Bob

Who Cares!!!

How you got there. It only matters that you Did

Tahoe782

Oh, it's beginning to make more of an impact each year as more & more people achieve Elite and Platinum status however they make it.

• The embarkation lounge is more crowded & sometimes you can't even get a seat if arriving late.
  • The Elite line at the psd gets longer each year to the point that it's not worth getting on that line sometimes.
  • The laundry takes longer to get back.
  • Internet service becomes slower as more people receive free minutes.
  • Priority tender lines are getting so crowded on some cruises that they have the Elites report to a separate area for boarding.

Sooner or later they'll have to have a new upper level & possibly limit some perks to the older Elite category. The perks of being Elite aren't as special as they once were.

It can't continue at this rate forever.

We have been Elite for many years. Now the Circle parties are too crowded for us and we skip them. The departure lounge is nothing special but NO OTHER LINE can beat the perks. It is part of the reason we keep coming back to Princess.

Ah the princess elite caste system...this always delves into a conflict of devotion, and this time it started on the first page. Well done cruise CRITICS...

i got to elite the very easy way, by taking short coastals on the west coast, as well as a few longer ones, and also using a corporate affiliate discount. i get no perks on voyages booked as a corporate affiliate. i enjoy my minibar setup, a variety of food that i dont have to cook or clean up after, and being on a ship . i dont go to the special elite/platinum happy hours because i dont care to be around a bunch of people who choose to bemoan how cruising isnt what it used to be (which ive scientifically determined is 82.5364% of all conversations on a ship) or how a bunch of people got to elite the easy way.

comon everyone, is princess really rewarding loyalty? how much do those perks actually cost the cruise line...i would imagine less than $30 per person if everything is accounted for. if they were loyal to their loyal cruisers, an elite booking an IF cabin would be given an upgrade to a minisuite (like the airlines), but then again, the LOYALTY of those elite passengers is usually in the form of an inside cabin booking gty (i've scientifically checked again that 78.5334% of elites book inside cabins) and bar tabs of less than $20 at the end of a 7 day cruise.