Activity Staff Reduction (3 Threads Merged)

jeffbook

I don't think anyone really knows that FOR SURE. They may be eliminating positions, or outsourcing them (as us true of the ONE case in this thread that I believe. From the mother of Valentina, the ex-zumba instructor).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Yes, they may be eliminating positions but this may or may not lead to reduced activities. Outsourcing, technology and reassignment of other staff could all be employed to maintain or even increase available activities. And surely some could be eliminated in favor of new ones no?

Yes, they may be eliminating positions but this may or may not lead to reduced activities. Outsourcing, technology and reassignment of other staff could all be employed to maintain or even increase available activities. And surely some could be eliminated in favor of new ones no?

It like a lot of place,

In a nursing home , some companies outsource food, cleaning , & maintenance , all they have is RNs and PSW workers

It like a lot of place,

In a nursing home , some companies outsource food, cleaning , & maintenance , all they have is RNs and PSW workers

One word..Sodexo!. They do the food & maintainance in hospitals/nursing homes, nation wide. Really explains why the food really is nasty at times.

We just came home from the March 22 sailing of Eclipse-two weeks Southern Caribbean. One of the things that surprised me right away was that the quintet of young men who sang acapella music around the ship and sometimes in the theater shows was gone. Every time I have sailed on a Celebrity ship an acapella group has been there. They just add a touch of class I believe...but they are gone--at least from Eclipse.

I also swore last year on Eclipse, the orchestra had nine members, now it is down to seven.

Last year Eclipse had a lovely chamber music quartet. They were a delight--no matter--they are gone. Now there was a duet,a violinist and an acordian player.

Last year Eclipse had a very friendly guitar player who entertained around the ship. He had an amazingly large selection of songs he played and sang. If you missed him--too late--he is gone. No one has replaced him.

I truly hope these will be the only cuts in the live music aboard. The variety of live music on cruise ships is a very special part of cruising for me. I would really hate to see the live music cut to the quick.

We just came home from the March 22 sailing of Eclipse-two weeks Southern Caribbean. One of the things that surprised me right away was that the quintet of young men who sang acapella music around the ship and sometimes in the theater shows was gone. Every time I have sailed on a Celebrity ship an acapella group has been there. They just add a touch of class I believe...but they are gone--at least from Eclipse.

I also swore last year on Eclipse, the orchestra had nine members, now it is down to seven.

Last year Eclipse had a lovely chamber music quartet. They were a delight--no matter--they are gone. Now there was a duet,a violinist and an acordian player.

Last year Eclipse had a very friendly guitar player who entertained around the ship. He had an amazingly large selection of songs he played and sang. If you missed him--too late--he is gone. No one has replaced him.

I truly hope these will be the only cuts in the live music aboard. The variety of live music on cruise ships is a very special part of cruising for me. I would really hate to see the live music cut to the quick.

All of the above are, unfortunately, gone.

I guess Celebrity can't be all things to all people. We just spent 28 days on the Millie and the entertainment was great. "Charlie" was my fav. He played guitar on deck 4 overlooking the Atrium in the evenings - jazz, rock, pop and requests lol. He would come out to the Sunset Bar in the evenings after dinner and play sorta "club' style - very relaxed, jovial and entertaining. I am 70 and I and our group would not hang around for an Acapella group or String Quartet. Sure there are lots that like it though:) If they removed the Acapella group and hired Charlie we are more than happy!

I guess Celebrity can't be all things to all people. We just spent 28 days on the Millie and the entertainment was great. "Charlie" was my fav. He played guitar on deck 4 overlooking the Atrium in the evenings - jazz, rock, pop and requests lol. He would come out to the Sunset Bar in the evenings after dinner and play sorta "club' style - very relaxed, jovial and entertaining. I am 70 and I and our group would not hang around for an Acapella group or String Quartet. Sure there are lots that like it though:) If they removed the Acapella group and hired Charlie we are more than happy!

We had great entertainment on the Reflection recently. Very lively. No loud music. I think X is on the right track with their changes.;)

We are both seventy also. We both enjoy many types of music from jazz to Latin to electronic dance music to almost anything. I used to play bass guitar in blues bands and a heavy metal cover band. I confess I can't stand polkas. Never have.

I believe Charlie was the guitarist on Eclipse last year. You describe him very well. I am glad he is still with Celebrity. Maybe Celebrity's new plan is to have fewer musicians, but move them around frequently from ship-to-ship. Perry Grant is also leaving Eclipse for another Celebrity ship. Also maybe the musicians themselves want the change of itinerary and ship.

Edited by Gangway Style

I have intentionally refrained from posting in this thread for some time because when long time Celebrity cruises post "concerns" about things that are happening, so many folks tell us to "calm down," "wait and see," and on and on.

I've been sailing Celebrity since 1998. For the past six or seven years, we've primarily only sailed Celebrity two or three times each year. They earned that loyalty by great service, great ships, great activities, good entertainment and mostly great food.

When long time passengers start to see a steady erosion (and it's definitely been a steady erosion for the past 18 months for us) in areas that the cruise line used to excel in, well, then we begin to really wonder what's going on.

This isn't just about "change." Change is often a really good thing. But when change consists of obvious cost cutting, especially when it comes to passenger services, folks get disappointed with the direction of favorite line.

Many of the things discussed in this thread are true. Getting rid of things like the a cappella groups are fine if you are planning to replace them with some other type of entertainment. They aren't. It's nice to see that there was a guitar player on Eclipse recently, but I wouldn't count on that remaining that way. I know for a fact that the number of musicians in the orchestras onboard have been cut. How far do you have to cut musicians before you shouldn't technically call them an orchestra any longer? Before long, you won't need "real" musicians because you can create all that sound electronically, right? That was partially what happened on our Reflection cruise in December. Two DJs playing over the top, can't hear yourself think let along talk music everywhere.

And the cabin attendants are definitely covering more staterooms. On our cruise in January, they were so busy that the normal "friendliness" you always feel from the was gone.

Now they are cutting activities staff. Those folks didn't just run trivia and dance classes. They work embarkation and disembarkation. They work muster and safety drills.

So where does it stop? It's not just cruising. It's everywhere.

Bottom line is that we do have choices. I work really hard for the disposable income we use to cruise. When we no longer enjoy what we are paying for (and we're getting there with Celebrity), we won't hesitate to vacation elsewhere. I hope Celebrity figures out who they really want to be soon. But with the over abundance of cruise ship cabin inventory out there, I'm not counting on it.

Not trying to be negative or just complaining. Just expressing personal observations from our past several cruises. I'm generally a very appreciative and happy person. I plan to stay that way!

Happy cruising...or whatever vacation you decide to take....to all!

Great post, Host Anne.

I find it amusing when some, particularly new posters, or less frequent cruisers of Celebrity, try to dismiss and negate others' experiences.

People's views will always be different, as people have different preferences. But there are some here who just seem to spend a lot of time trying to tell others that they are wrong, and everything the cruise line does is good.

I feel very sorry for your daughter and all the other hard working staff that are affected by the cuts.I hope that they are given an opportunity to become part of the staff for the new RCCL ships. I'm noticing that some who were long time Celebrity employees are now on RCCL ships. Dru Pavlov has recently made the switch. I've been noticing RCCL ships,especially Oasis, being mentioned on Celebrity ships. At one time that would never had happened. The parent (RCCL) might be pulling the child (Celebrity) closer in terms of control. Only speculation.What is not speculation is the indusry wide cost cutting and attempts to attract higher spending cruisers.

I too feel sorry for staff that have been cut.

Hopefully it is the customer that has the power to send the message they disagree with current policies and strategies. If people go else where then that would be a very strong message.

We sailed on the Eclipse in early February.

I've already commented that I thought the staff in Blu had been cut then.

But it sounds like there have been even deeper cuts since.

We didn't have a chamber music quartet but there was a wonderful trio and it sounds like that has been cut to a duo.

We DID have a guitar player who was all over the ship (sunset bar, lawn club, foyer, etc. etc. ) and enjoyed by many.

The acapella group was already gone in February but I'm not a fan so didn't miss that.

I DID notice that we had no late night comedy.

All of these cuts are VERY concerning.

As everyone has said, we have lots of choices of where to take our vacation dollars...................... :(

"We will be alert to any changes ."

At least you admit you cruise to look for reasons to complain. I cruise to relax and enjoy myself.

I think my approach is more fun....but to each his own.

Hi Ratpack

I'm with you -- glass half full?

Beryl

We had a full staff for activities on our most recent sailing. Trivia was 4 times a day. I think there were 4 different people doing the trivia at different times. Total Activities staff was 5 people I believe. Century is the smallest Celebrity ship, so it was well staffed.

But curiously, after the "Masters Quarterly Meeting" on our cruise, one of those staff was departing at the end of our cruise. Cut from the staff perhaps?

I have intentionally refrained from posting in this thread for some time because when long time Celebrity cruises post "concerns" about things that are happening, so many folks tell us to "calm down," "wait and see," and on and on.

I've been sailing Celebrity since 1998. For the past six or seven years, we've primarily only sailed Celebrity two or three times each year. They earned that loyalty by great service, great ships, great activities, good entertainment and mostly great food.

When long time passengers start to see a steady erosion (and it's definitely been a steady erosion for the past 18 months for us) in areas that the cruise line used to excel in, well, then we begin to really wonder what's going on.

This isn't just about "change." Change is often a really good thing. But when change consists of obvious cost cutting, especially when it comes to passenger services, folks get disappointed with the direction of favorite line.

Many of the things discussed in this thread are true. Getting rid of things like the a cappella groups are fine if you are planning to replace them with some other type of entertainment. They aren't. It's nice to see that there was a guitar player on Eclipse recently, but I wouldn't count on that remaining that way. I know for a fact that the number of musicians in the orchestras onboard have been cut. How far do you have to cut musicians before you shouldn't technically call them an orchestra any longer? Before long, you won't need "real" musicians because you can create all that sound electronically, right? That was partially what happened on our Reflection cruise in December. Two DJs playing over the top, can't hear yourself think let along talk music everywhere.

And the cabin attendants are definitely covering more staterooms. On our cruise in January, they were so busy that the normal "friendliness" you always feel from the was gone.

Now they are cutting activities staff. Those folks didn't just run trivia and dance classes. They work embarkation and disembarkation. They work muster and safety drills.

So where does it stop? It's not just cruising. It's everywhere.

Bottom line is that we do have choices. I work really hard for the disposable income we use to cruise. When we no longer enjoy what we are paying for (and we're getting there with Celebrity), we won't hesitate to vacation elsewhere. I hope Celebrity figures out who they really want to be soon. But with the over abundance of cruise ship cabin inventory out there, I'm not counting on it.

Not trying to be negative or just complaining. Just expressing personal observations from our past several cruises. I'm generally a very appreciative and happy person. I plan to stay that way!

Happy cruising...or whatever vacation you decide to take....to all!

We have seen a lot of cuts on our last Celebrity cruise...

1) No more String quartet or trio (That really sucks!)

2) No more A capella groups

3) No more Midnight Chocolate extravaganza (gone a long time ago)

4) No more Grand Brunch

5) No more High Teas (or maybe one "low" tea)

6) Elite cocktail hour used to have GREAT snacks ...not anymore

7) Less or no free snacks/peanuts during bar service

8) Much more work for the stateroom attendants, etc...

But I think this is industry wide. Just go over to the Princess and Holland America boards and you will see almost verbatim, the same exact complaints.

So the idea of just taking your money elsewhere is not truly an option, unless you go Oceania, Regent or Crystal. But it will cost you a lot more dough!

When will it end?

We still had a GREATY Celebrity cruise nonetheless, despite the cuts.

I find it amusing when some, particularly new posters, or less frequent cruisers of Celebrity, try to dismiss and negate others' experiences.

And I find it equally amusing when some refuse to recognize that most posts which refute the "Sky is falling" theory are made by those with extensive cruising experience - with Celebrity as well as other lines.

I don't think you are the only passenger who writes in their feelings and that is what surveys are for.

Changes that you don't like, others might think are for the better and visa versa , because we all have different opinions, expectations, likes and dislikes.

Are they not doing zumba anymore? Are they not doing trivia any more or the galley tour? I'm not saying some might be disappointed, but we don't know what is not going to happen and what is....people are just speculating on this. Why worry about something that you don't know if it will happen or not happen. If people are so worried that their favorite activity MIGHT not happen and it is a deal breaker for them, they should cancel their cruise so they won't be disappointed. Otherwise wait until they are onboard and then complain if they are not doing trivia or zumba or the galley tour, but for people to get so upset when they have no idea what is going on, seems like a waste to me.

Just home last night from two weeks on Eclipse. I need to gather my thoughts on what I see happening. I wonder what you would think about the fact that they have done away with the on board surveys and have asked passengers to complete a survey online when they get home. I may be wrong, but I think it's likely they won't get as much response from people who are back to the daily grind.

Just home last night from two weeks on Eclipse. I need to gather my thoughts on what I see happening. I wonder what you would think about the fact that they have done away with the on board surveys and have asked passengers to complete a survey online when they get home. I may be wrong, but I think it's likely they won't get as much response from people who are back to the daily grind.

I for one am happy with this move. They are not the first cruise line to move to this procedure. One less thing to do while onboard on the last day. Our survey was waiting for us when we returned home.

I don't have a problem with them being on line. I think today so many more people are online, with computers or ipads or iphones then ever before and it is all ages. I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe the amount of "my age and older" technology savy folks that were constantly on their Iphones. If you asked me this question 10 years ago, I would have said it was a problem, but not now because times have changed.

I think the only problem would be with the length of time that they give people to respond. Some have said that it is 7 days after the cruise and that is way too short. My second issue, which someone said they solved by giving them 10 free minutes of computer use onboard, was that passengers sould be able to fill them out on line on the ship at no charge. I also hope that they leave a space for passengers to fill in their compliments, complaints, etc., instead of questions just being answered by numbered ratings.

More and more companies are going to online surveys, so it is the wave of the future, and I see no problem with others to follow.