Activity Staff Reduction (3 Threads Merged)

jeffbook

As a retired business owner & having sailed many times on both Celebrirty & RCCL ships ,there is NO question in my mind that corporate is squeezing the Buffalo on the nickel ,so to speak . We have seen & experienced changes we DON'T like:eek:

Sorry to hear that those employees on their activities staffs are losing their jobs due to corporate bean counters exercising their tight grips :(

As far as we are concerned (Elite + with 62 cruises ) we will not accept their vast changes . There are many other vacation options besides a cruise & perhaps more enjoyable vacations ,away from crowded ships;):) .

We leave Sat April 5th on a west coast Century cruise to say goodbye to a wonderful ship & crew .We will be alert to any changes . If evidence appears to us, I will immediately cancel our 5th Alaska cruise booked with Celebrity for 2015 .We will stayed tuned in to cruise critic boards as well ;)

"We will be alert to any changes ."

At least you admit you cruise to look for reasons to complain. I cruise to relax and enjoy myself.

I think my approach is more fun....but to each his own.

Feel sorry for the crews as the are the magic that makes things memorable . Being a first timer on Celebrity finally last week on the Silhouette I am bewildered by all the comments about what's missing that all the veteran Celebrity folks keep talking about . We were waited on hand and foot on our cruise. Best crew ever always friendly and smiling and willing to help with anything we asked about. We did ultimate dining and had a wonderful time. We booked our next cruise 2 days into the cruise. This has never happened in 26 yrs of cruising.

Edited by seadancer

At least you admit you cruise to look for reasons to complain. I cruise to relax and enjoy myself.

Very well said! People talk about cuts, but in actuality they are changes that they don't like. For these people everything they don't like and every change that they don't like they are going to singled out as cuts. You would think that someone who says they like Celebrity would wait and see what the outcome is before they complain, but it seems some people just want to complain.

If people think that Celebrity is making all these cuts and they have to specifically look for cuts to complain about while cruising, I guess I wonder why they would continue to sail with them.

Feel sorry for the crews as the are the magic that makes things memorable . Being a first timer on Celebrity finally last week on the Silhouette I am bewildered by all the comments about what's missing that all the veteran Celebrity folks keep talking about . We were waited on hand and foot on our cruise. Best crew ever always friendly and smiling and willing to help with anything we asked about. We did ultimate dining and had a wonderful time. We booked our next cruise 2 days into the cruise. This has never happened in 26 yrs of cruising.

We also loved the Silhouette and her crew! I am really glad you enjoyed your first cruise with Celebrity!

It would be helpful for someone from Celebrity to respond. Cruise Critic would serve as a good focus group for them.
First, the cruise critic posters are such a small percentage of the overall customers, that Celebrity would not get a true picture of what the majority of their customers want. That is what their surveys are for, to get the overall opinion of all their customers. Secondly, many cruise critic posters don't want change and want to see Celebrity stay in the past, so if Celebrity used them as a focus group, Celebrity would never see the real pictures and that is they have to change and evolve to keep all their passengers happy and coming back, not just a few who want doesn't want Celebrity to move in a more modern direction.

When I started this thread, I was not complaining as we have enjoyed all of our Celebrity voyages, save one. I was simply reporting about the Activities Staff reduction in force for anyone who would be interested.

While the "product" has changed over the 11 years we have cruised on Celebrity, we have changed too and it is still a great match for our cruising vacations.

First, the cruise critic posters are such a small percentage of the overall customers, that Celebrity would not get a true picture of what the majority of their customers want. That is what their surveys are for, to get the overall opinion of all their customers. Secondly, many cruise critic posters don't want change and want to see Celebrity stay in the past, so if Celebrity used them as a focus group, Celebrity would never see the real pictures and that is they have to change and evolve to keep all their passengers happy and coming back, not just a few who want doesn't want Celebrity to move in a more modern direction.

Celebrity needs to understand all points of view. While we on CC represent a small number of passengers, each of us is more than likely to effect 10 other potential or current passengers who aren't here. Many of us recommend Celebrity, some don't, some try to give balanced views...but we all talk to friends about cruises and cruise companies.

The input Celebrity could get from here (and they do, since they monitor this forum) really does represent an important segment of their passengers....Our view is as important as is the view from the 20 something individual with disposable income (and there are some of those folks here as well).

Celebrity bean counters are trying to reduce costs to the absolute minimum....and it's not clear at this point whether there is anyone in Celebrity HQ who says...wait a minute, that may cut costs, but it may cost us customers and bad press. Hopefully, there is a strong passenger advocate...but that person really hasn't surfaced. My guess is that it's not Micheal Bayley....but that's just based on my observations of changes since he's been in that job....I could be wrong.

Edited by ghstudio

Most certainly would be a scientific sample,but would be a good sounding board since:

1. A high percentage of Zenith members are active posters and have a demonstrate loyalty to Celebrity for a significant number of years.

2. A high number of Elite+ members are active posters.

3. People who have taken a Celebrity cruise within the last 6 months are represented.

4. New cruisers who are planning to take a cruise post here.

5. People post who are in their 20's,peoplepost who are in their 80's.

6. People from all over the world post

7. People represent a variety of occupations

8. Retired people post

The list goes on!

I can place enought faces with screen names to know that statements #1 and #2 are accurate. The top 3 (Arno,Rick,Tommy) Celebrity cruisers are active posters.

We also cruise to enjoy ourselves and the activities staff have always contributed to that enjoyment. Witnessing their disappearance and the activities they supervised would give us reason to complain. I think your post is condescending to those who actually notice changes that have a negative impact on their cruising experience. :cool:

We only participate in an occasional activity, but love to watch the ship building & egg drop competitions. Also enjoy the Officers completions, Dancing with the Stripes, Flash Mob, etc. Sea days could be very long if there isn't staff to organize these activities which, although only a few participate in, hundreds enjoy watching.

On our past couple of cruises we had many tender ports. The tendering process was well organized and kept flowing by the activities staff- wonder who will do that now.

On our past couple of cruises we had many tender ports. The tendering process was well organized and kept flowing by the activities staff- wonder who will do that now.

That is an excellent point. And to those who say these are "changes not cuts" we will see how people react to the "change" of do-it-yourself tendering. It can be a zoo even with the activity staff handling it. Or maybe they can draft the already overworked housekeeping or dining staff to handle this task.

:mad:

Playing trivia is a major pastime for us on every cruise.

I know that there are many activities that have a low attendance (mostly outside) but on a Transatlantic the Rendezvous or the Ensemble lounge has always been packed.

Michaels was hardly ever used as a venue so the switch to Concierge is not a factor.

It will be interesting to see if bingo is the only activity where there is no cutback.. ;)

:mad: Me too, Arno.

Trivia is a favourite activity of mine as well, and I am a little confused by what the outcome is intended to be on board, as a result of the reduction of the Activities staff. Are they planning to cut back on onboard activities in general, or will they have a range of activities that are led by other staff?

As far as Trivia sessions are concerned, I find them to be some of the best-attended onboard activities, particularly the Progressive Trivia, the Team Trivia and the Battle of the Sexes. On our last cruise on the Century, the Crystal Room had a room full of people for the Food and Beverage Trivia, and that was while the Gala Brunch was going on in the MDR.

I don't know that I've heard that Trivia itself has been targeted for reduction or elimination, so I'm still hopeful. Perhaps they just intend to have the Trivia sessions led by other staff who have breaks in their schedules. I do feel really sorry for people who have lost their jobs in this recent cutback, however, and I wish them all possible good luck in finding other positions.

One of my favourite Trivia leaders ever was the very talented Chico Pineda, who had been "downsized" from one of the party bands into a position as Activities Leader. He lead most of the Trivia on one of my Century cruises, as well as leading (and performing at) most of the Karaoke sessions, and entertaining at the mike in the Cova Café. Now that is an Activities leader with a multiplicity of skills, and Celebrity is getting rid of someone like him, in favour of a dedicated Zumba instructor? How many Zumba classes can you fill in one day?

As far as the unavailability of Michael's Club for Trivia, I don't think I've been to a Trivia session in Michael's Club more than once in over 25 cruises on Celebrity.

We will be on the Solstice in five weeks, and it will be interesting to see what the effect of this cutback will be on board.

Now I am worried. i have an Eclipse cruise booked for September which has six sea days. how on earth can a skeleton activities staff provide enough events - especially if there is inclement weather?

On some of the smaller lines you see those folks that are singers and dancers filling the activity team positions during the day. Perhaps Celebrity is taking a page from them.

On some of the smaller lines you see those folks that are singers and dancers filling the activity team positions during the day. Perhaps Celebrity is taking a page from them.

Didn't the singers and dancers handle the Costa Concordia evacuation?

(Singers and dances do play a significant role in the Muster Drill)

Edited by Orator

This does not sound good. We LOVED Maarten on the Silhouette. Cruised on HAL 2 months prior (Nieuw Amsterdam), whose activities staff consisted of a staff of two, and suffice it to say it really had a negative impact on our overall experience, so I'm not too psyched about this news.

It is sad in deed but the onboard activities were lacking and/or stale. Dinner companions over the many cruises have discussed this matter in particular. Some wanted dance lessons, euchre/cribbage tournaments, cooking lessons, amateur shows (staff and passengers) and good lectures .

I guess people get bored with the same old same old.

Celebrity needs to understand all points of view. While we on CC represent a small number of passengers, each of us is more than likely to effect 10 other potential or current passengers who aren't here. Many of us recommend Celebrity, some don't, some try to give balanced views...but we all talk to friends about cruises and cruise companies.

The input Celebrity could get from here (and they do, since they monitor this forum) really does represent an important segment of their passengers....Our view is as important as is the view from the 20 something individual with disposable income (and there are some of those folks here as well).

Celebrity bean counters are trying to reduce costs to the absolute minimum....and it's not clear at this point whether there is anyone in Celebrity HQ who says...wait a minute, that may cut costs, but it may cost us customers and bad press. Hopefully, there is a strong passenger advocate...but that person really hasn't surfaced. My guess is that it's not Micheal Bayley....but that's just based on my observations of changes since he's been in that job....I could be wrong.

Yes, you are correct, Celebrity needs to understand all points of view, not just the few that are on here. I believe everyone, those on cruise critic and those not on here, recommends Celebrity to others and that is why I think everyone's point of view should be heard.

You are correct, (1) Celebrity does watch the forum and (2) those on here are an important segement of their customers (just as they other 95% are), but they are not and should not be the defining reasons as to if Celebrity should or should not make changes, cuts, etc. I think Celebrity should listen to all their customers, whether they are on here or not and them make changes, etc. accordingly, because I feel that everyone's opinion is just as valuable as the next guys and it doesn't matter if they have taken 1 or 100 cruises...they have all had experiences on the ships and everyone's likes and dislikes are different.

I'm going to wait and see how everything falls out before making a judgement call as to if their changes, cuts, etc., are good or bad. And not speculate whether the tendering process will be a diaster or trivia will be gone, etc., because I have more enjoyable things to think about.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hi Everyone,

I'm disappointed that Celebrity is eliminating or reducing the activites staff - mostly due to the fact that they are an absolutely wonderful group of folks, and get little credit for their accomplishments over the years. They deserved better. IMO, the activity teams are one of the reasons that Celebrity excelled in their onboard experience - and now, that's disappearing as well.

As Orator and others mentioned, I truly hope those affected will be offered other onboard or shoreside positions, or perhaps transition to RCCL's activitity teams.

As for whether this is a cutback ? I think the jury is still out on this. There have been a number of articles in the cruise trades, that Celebrity is transitioning their entertainment to new concepts. It's entirely possible this is part of the equation. Whether their new offerings will prove to be better or worse, Or, if the savings are going to Celebrity's bottom line, are the real questions. For now, I'm giving Celebrity the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sure we will all be watching carefully.

Edited by Host Andy

We hope you are right, Andy, about the possibility of new entertainment avenues on Celebrity. Although the onboard activities now offered got totally old for us a while ago, we do understand that a lot of people really enjoy them, and thus would be a real loss if not substituted with something of value.