Room next to elevator ... RCI will move me if I request?

Hi folks,

I've been assigned a room next to an elevator on a "Freedom" class ship on an upcoming cruise. :( I am a light sleeper and am very sensitive to noise. I had booked with a "Inside Stateroom Guarantee" fare. Wonder if Royal Caribbean would consider my request to move to another inside stateroom given my sensitivity to noise.

Thank you,

~Sylvia

Hi folks,

I've been assigned a room next to an elevator on a "Freedom" class ship on an upcoming cruise. :( I am a light sleeper and am very sensitive to noise. I had booked with a "Inside Stateroom Guarantee" fare. Wonder if Royal Caribbean would consider my request to move to another inside stateroom given my sensitivity to noise.

Thank you,

~Sylvia

They will usually allow you to move to any available stateroom in the exact same category that you've been assigned.

You will NOT be "next to the elevator"....the stairs and elevators are in a foyer....it's not as close as it appears on the deck plans...there is a wall, and the doors to the elevators open to the center....there is no more noise there, than elsewhere!

Look on the deck plans and see if there is another room in the same category that's available and in a better location.

Then call and say something like "I have cabin XXXX and would like to move to cabin YYYY, which is the same category". Don't mention the guarantee assignment...just indicate that you want to move to another cabin within the same category.

I also am a very light sleeper. We prefer being next to the elevators for the convenience. I have tried to hear the elevators but other than hearing people talking in the hallway, have heard nothing. Let us know what you decide and if Royal will change your cabin if you request it.

All the accessible cabins I've sailed in have been right near the elevator. There are no noise issues at all because of it. I actually consider it a perk being less hallway to maneuver in a wheelchair around housekeeping carts and scooters that people park in the hallways even though they aren't suppose to. :o

You can change if you want to but I assure you elevator noise isn't an issue. Fact, you will probably like being that close. :)

Edited by ryano

Glad to see this thread. Booked my first cruise on a RC ship (Navigator), and chose a room that is across from the staircase on the deck plans. Glad to see positive remarks for rooms in this area.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You people fascinate me.

Every single post has said that they hear NOTHING in cabins near the elevators.

I say "nonsense".

Is it horrible noise?

Not usually. But sometimes.

The more people who walk by your cabin, the more likely that SOME of them will be talking. And SOME of them will be talking LOUDLY.

When I book an aft cabin - which I love - "no one" walks by your cabin, because no one who doesn't have a cabin back there is walking by.

When I have a cabin on the hump/near the elevators, I don't hear anything from the elevators themselves, but EVERYONE walks by your cabin. And SOME of them are noisy.

And that's a fact.

You people fascinate me.

The more people who walk by your cabin, the more likely that SOME of them will be talking. And SOME of them will be talking LOUDLY.

When I book an aft cabin - which I love - "no one" walks by your cabin, because no one who doesn't have a cabin back there is walking by.

When I have a cabin on the hump/near the elevators, I don't hear anything from the elevators themselves, but EVERYONE walks by your cabin. And SOME of them are noisy.

And that's a fact.

I agree. If you have a cabin right near the elevator, you're going to get a lot of people walking by your room. And they may be walking by your room at 2 am, perhaps a bit tipsy, and perhaps quite loud. If you have a room way at the end of the hallway near the aft, you'll get less foot traffic.

So while it is true that you may not hear the actual "ding" of the elevator, it is not true that you won't hear a thing.

You people fascinate me.

I say "nonsense".

Is it horrible noise?

And that's a fact.

Been near the elevators on every cruise possible. It's a great location. I can count the number of times over the years that I've been bothered on only 1 hand.

Possible noise, yes. That could happen even with your out of the traffic stream aft too

Edited by SeaUs

I usually book by the elevator. You don't hear the elevators, but you do hear people, on occasion, walking by your room. This doesn't bother me.

I could write a very long post about the quirks of various cabins we have had but nothing was that terrible.

You will NOT be "next to the elevator"....the stairs and elevators are in a foyer....it's not as close as it appears on the deck plans...there is a wall, and the doors to the elevators open to the center....there is no more noise there, than elsewhere!

This is correct. We are usually near the elevators and have had no problem with noise. We like being near the elevators!

I shared your concern the first time we had a cabin by the elevators--it was actually a room that had the door opening facing the foyer by the stairs and elevators.

We never noticed any noise out of the ordinary; not the sound of the elevators, not more people walking by, nothing except what you can hear from any room.

It was such a great location--no long treks down narrow halls--that now I actively look for such rooms. Just out of our room, across the corridor and there we were, at the stairs or elevators.

I've never been on a ship where the cabin is actually right next to--as in sharing a wall with--an elevator, though I guess it would be possible. At the least there is a corridor between the cabins and elevators.

You people fascinate me.

I say "nonsense".

Is it horrible noise?

And that's a fact.

Some of us cant book aft cabins and I guess I have just been fortunate. Loud people can happen in ANY location as long as there are halls people have to walk down. Aft cabins are what? Less than 5% of available cabins on any given cruise ship?

I can only speak of my personal experiences and Ive stayed in a cabin by the elevator only 3 times now because I have no other choice. In my very limited experience, staying by the elevator has not produced any loud noises that would make me want to change cabins. I find the locations by the elevator to be very convenient from a wheelchair users standpoint.

Thats a fact :)

While I agree with most of what is here, I think most of you are talking about the balcony cabins that do have a hallway between the elevators and the cabin. However, if your read the OP they have and INSIDE cabin so it may be different. I don't have the deck plans in front of me, but they could be next to the elevator.

To the OP, if you feel it may be an issue, do as others have said, find a cabin in the same category as yours that is open in a spot you like. Call and ask to be switched.

While I agree with most of what is here, I think most of you are talking about the balcony cabins that do have a hallway between the elevators and the cabin. However, if your read the OP they have and INSIDE cabin so it may be different. I don't have the deck plans in front of me, but they could be next to the elevator.

To the OP, if you feel it may be an issue, do as others have said, find a cabin in the same category as yours that is open in a spot you like. Call and ask to be switched.

I have never stayed in a balcony on any cruise. Its been either inside or oceanview and always very close to the elevator. :) I still stand (well sit :)) by the fact that loud people can happen in ANY location on the ship. I personally was specifically referring to noise issues because of the elevator only. I have not experienced any. People walking by the room have not been an issue. I love the locations! Less housekeeping carts and scooters parked in the hallway to cause me barriers to have to try and get around.

Edited by ryano

LOVE that location! We too were concerned about that location, I now try to get as close to the elevator as possible.

1) You can't hear the elevators at all, or people coming and going any more than rooms up and down the hall.

2) No trying to find which room is yours!

3) No long hikes up and down halls, just jump on the elevator or hit the stairs like I do.

4) Not being sandwiched between two rooms, two balconies. 1/2 the chance to get a noisy neighbor!

I'd call that room a WIN WIN!