Here's What I've Been Told

kitty9

Take it or leave it, for what it's worth.

They had a big meeting for all senior crew members yesterday, telling them of the upcoming changes. After speaking to a few different crew members, their tales were pretty much the same, except for one area----and right now only apply to Equinox. Cellar Masters will be changed to a British, tapas style pub with 30 draft beers and 30 bottled beers. They will serve small plates, which is a big thing in some places. There will also be big screen TV's for sports programming. Celebrity has listened to those who say they want a type of sports bar.

Now, here's the conundrum. Four people have said the suite dining area will be in the MDR, while two others said it will be in Bistro on 5. And, the included specialty dining will only be until the suite dining area is in place, and after that it will go back to having the extra charge. Bistro on 5 will continue to be for everyone for breakfast and lunch.

FYI, for anyone cruising on Equinox in June, and sorry I don't know the date, there's a huge Italian group on board numbering 1200. You may find things being tailored to that group on that cruise.

Now, here's the conundrum. Four people have said the suite dining area will be in the MDR, while two others said it will be in Bistro on 5.

Funny how 6 people can leave a meeting and have 2 completely different takes on things.

More to my recent points about X needing to have better communication to its staff. I said they need staff meetings, and apparently those don't even work! LOL

I figure we have to follow X's official announcement that it's MDR, and not the gossipy staff. But who would know till it's done.

Edited by cle-guy

Funny how 6 people can leave a meeting and have 2 completely different takes on things.

More to my recent points about X needing to have better communication to its staff. I said they need staff meetings, and apparently those don't even work! LOL

I figure we have to follow X's official announcement that it's MDR, and not the gossipy staff. But who would know till it's done.

A British style pub with big sports screens oh no :eek: if I wanted that I would stick to sailing on P and O Azura, I do hope that Celebrity is not downgrading to that level

No no we do not want a British pub on board.!! I hate the thought of it and that is why we go on the mostly american crusie ships. I come from the UK and do not want to be reminded of it when on a cruise.!!

that pub would make sense if that ship is sailing alot from Great Britain.. we actually enjoyed the British Pub on QM2...esp. for lunch.

would hate to lose Bistro on 5 from any ship esp. b/c we have heard that AQ spa cafe is not doing the made to order grilled salmon for lunch...

Edited by hcat

No no we do not want a British pub on board.!! I hate the thought of it and that is why we go on the mostly american crusie ships. I come from the UK and do not want to be reminded of it when on a cruise.!!

You don't want to be reminded of being from the UK or of British pubs? Assuming the latter I can fully understand that replicating a typical British pub on a cruise ship is difficult. Or should I say impossible. But there is no reason why they shouldn't try and offer typical bar snacks etc. with some beers. Don't we all have a pint and eat a ploughman's for lunch?

So quick to blame Celebrity management! It could be that the conflicting communication is coming from some of the staff's incorrect description to the OP. I used to teach classes for company employees. I have found that you can stand in front of them and explain how to do something, but there will always be some who do not get the message, and have to be told again, sometimes several times. Same exact words, different interpretations.

But, according to your opinion, it must have been all my fault. :D

Edited by boogs

Well lets see, the moon is made of green cheese, the sky is falling, and there is really a rabbit serving tea in wonderland, and we dont know much different about what Celebrity is doing on ship than we did yesterday.

Things are pretty much normal then.:)

Edited by wallie5446

Am i the only one excited about a pub with 40 types of beer, sports, and "tapas" (whatever they means in the case of a British style pub)?

We are on Equinox on one of the first sailings after drydock, can't wait to try something new

Am i the only one excited about a pub with 40 types of beer, sports, and "tapas" (whatever they means in the case of a British style pub)?

We are on Equinox on one of the first sailings after drydock, can't wait to try something new

Now your post and comments are one I will be watching for!

The old Michaels on Reflection last yr was wonderful! Football, beer, and the wifester could get a glass of red. They could leave the snacks out of Cellar Masters and we would be okie dokie with it. Leave the munchies in the buffet.

Edited by wallie5446

I don't believe they will have 40 types of beer, maybe 10 or 15, but I like the idea in general. And the two times I was in Celler Masters last October on Equinox it was almost empty. The space could be better used. I would use it a lot if it were a pub.

Edited by Charles4515

No, you're not the only one :) A good selection of draft beer would be wonderful, & I'd love if they were serving real tapas & small plates, that's our favorite type of restaurant.

But I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Take it or leave it, for what it's worth. They had a big meeting for all senior crew members yesterday, telling them of the upcoming changes. After speaking to a few different crew members, their tales were pretty much the same, except for one area----and right now only apply to Equinox. Cellar Masters will be changed to a British, tapas style pub with 30 draft beers and 30 bottled beers. They will serve small plates, which is a big thing in some places. There will also be big screen TV's for sports programming. Celebrity has listened to those who say they want a type of sports bar.

Interesting report by this super experienced original poster and good questions/comments by others as follow-ups. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Our other, earlier cruise with Celebrity was June 2011 on the Solstice in the Med. Things worked fine. Our larger/main interests are about the ports and places we will be visiting during the cruise, plus any options/locations either before or after the cruise. The cruise ship and company are very important, but not the major or total focus we consider initially or only.

Having a marketing and research background, I understand that any good business needs to change, improve, evolve, provide good value, understand changing demographics, satisfy customer needs/interests, etc. We cannot escape change. It's normal, natural and expected!! Hopefully, it will be mostly positive improvements in the product/services and/or keeping the value good/attractive. Always trade-offs!! Both ways!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 51,624 views for this fun posting.

A British style pub with big sports screens oh no :eek: if I wanted that I would stick to sailing on P and O Azura, I do hope that Celebrity is not downgrading to that level

This is not a down grade, it is just keeping up with the times. All of us are not old and slow, and listen to chamber music. X needs some new exciting things to do, I do hope they do it with class.

Nothing against the OP but I really wish people would stop posting this type information. We can already see what happens when it's posted. I myself will wait until X makes the announcements.

Crew members are usually least likely to know accurately about changes. What they pass on are rumors. Also many times they will spin it to what they think you want to hear. They pick up cues as to what you want from what you ask. I will also wait until Celebrity management announces changes.

Edited by Charles4515

Well lets see, the moon is made of green cheese, the sky is falling, and there is really a rabbit serving tea in wonderland, and we dont know much different about what Celebrity is doing on ship than we did yesterday.

Things are pretty much normal then.:)

Nothing against the OP but I really wish people would stop posting this type information. We can already see what happens when it's posted. I myself will wait until X makes the announcements.

Looks like we still agree on this one!:)

Well they've already said most of the new Suite benefits don't even go into effect until next April...which gives them ALOT of time to do whatever they have to in the MDR for this new dining area. They've stated they aren't removing Bistro on 5 and see no reason to doubt this.

No, I'm not a fan of British pubs but Cellar Masters is THE biggest wasted space on the ship. Perry Grant is now playing in there on the Eclipse to an audience sitting in folded chairs, suspect it would be a lot more comfortable if redesigned as a British pub....also suspect the British Pub idea will generate A LOT more use then Cellar Masters, so I'm happy to see the change.

Also Celebrity has already announced publicly that the Spec. Dining deal will be for Royal Suites and above, with no mention that it will only be "until" the MDR is ready.

No offense to the OP but this sounds like a lot of rumors, until X actually publishes a new statement that most of what they announced last month is not accurate I'm going with the original press release from Celebrity.