Here's What I've Been Told

kitty9

On Cunard they have an English pub. They serve lunches. Fish and Chips, bangers and Mash ect. They play Trivia, name that tune and different game shows there. It is also a sport bar. Great money maker for them as it is always busy

Princess also uses a bar some days for a Pub lunch. It is also very busy. People enjoy it.

I think it is great that Celebrity it trying new ideas. We will be on the Equinox in October so we will check it out.

that pub would make sense if that ship is sailing alot from Great Britain.. we actually enjoyed the British Pub on QM2...esp. for lunch.

would hate to lose Bistro on 5 from any ship esp. b/c we have heard that AQ spa cafe is not doing the made to order grilled salmon for lunch...

We had poached salmon available in the Aquaspa Cafe last week on Equinox on request, but sadly no grilled tuna. The salmon was still well prepared and tasty.

Incidentally we heard the exact same info about cellar masters while onboard with Darcie and some of the same conflicting info (and more which I will not post to start rumors) about Bistro on 5. I was on the sailing with Darcie, she is actually still onboard, I had to leave early for work.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Well, ok then. I'm done posting so not as to intrude on anyone's flight of fancy.

See you all----sometime. Btw, I hope no one else spoils anyone's reading here by posting ANY information about X until it comes from the company's president.

Hi Darcie,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting. IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a discussion of what may or may not transpire. We all have something in common, and that's our passion for all things Celebrity.

BTW, there's a document from Celebrity in circulation, that specifically states the Suite Dining Room, will be carved out of the Main Dining Room, so at least for now, that seems to be fact. As I'm typing this at Sea, I'm unable to post the document.

Very interesting comment about Cellar Masters. I suspect something may eventually happen there, as it's typically very quiet. I'm not a huge fan of the pub idea.... but if it happens ? I hope it will be very successful.

The most shocking part of the OPs post is the thought of a group of 1200 Italians being onboard. Nothing against Italians (love the country) however in a large group the noise level will be sky high and say goodbye to queueing. If I wanted that Id book MSC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So quick to blame Celebrity management! It could be that the conflicting communication is coming from some of the staff's incorrect description to the OP. I used to teach classes for company employees. I have found that you can stand in front of them and explain how to do something, but there will always be some who do not get the message, and have to be told again, sometimes several times. Same exact words, different interpretations.

But, according to your opinion, it must have been all my fault. :D

No disrespect intended. But seriously, a company who announces big changes like this, and is unable to properly disseminate factual information to its staff has some issues, be that management's inability to speak to its employees, or its inability to hire staff that can listen to, comprehend and properly disseminate the same information to its customers is doing its customers a disservice.

I have a hard time understanding how staff were told MDR would change come away understanding the Bistro on 5 is going away. These are WAY different concepts and information in 100% conflict with each other and with the published press releases by the company. This the leads to speculation in these threads that leads to a bad impression of X and its corporate policies and lots of phone calls to customer service to confirm or deny these 'rumors' that shouldn't be in effect if employees are properly instructed on the company's future goals and aspirations.

If we can not count on the staff for accuracy, who are we to trust? X needs to train its staff that if they have no FACTUAL PUBLICLY released information then they need to shut their mouths. Sorry to be harsh, but it's the truth, especially within a company that is publicly traded and has to meet regulatory control by the SEC.

Any manager who has staff disseminating improper information is not capable of being a manger and needs replaced.

A well-run company will have all of its employees on the same page with company and company cultural standards. For staff to leave a meeting with some of the impression Bistro is closing, and others MDR is changing, is proof of a problem with communication among its staff and employees.

If you have a different feeling on these facts, I welcome a discussion on these matters.

But I can not understand how it's acceptable for this behavior of continued dissemination of inaccurate information to be allowed within a company under SEC regulation.

Thanks for your onboard update Darcie, very valuable

Two thoughts

It's as well we all like different things, personally I hate the idea of a British pub, but that's ok, we were never all going to drink in the same bar onboard

I can see the pub layout working on the S class ships in the space available, wonder what they will do in due course with those that have been "solsticised" as the layout of Cellar Masters and it's location would not be right for a pub IMHO yet they have to do something with that space, it's so dead

This is not a down grade, it is just keeping up with the times. All of us are not old and slow, and listen to chamber music. X needs some new exciting things to do, I do hope they do it with class.

If they do it with class then so be it , but this is one of the reasons I am stepping away from P and O, big sports screens and beer, awful karaoke, football shirts, bad language, Brodie's Bar on Azura, not the sort of place I want when I am on a cruise, and in my opinion it attracts the type of cruiser who is not sailing on Celebrity at the moment but with the free drink package and low prices it won't be long before they do

Have you sailed on Azura or Ventura ?

Whilst I personally wouldn't use a British style pub I can see its attractions to many others.

I too am a bit stumped at British tapas style food........I do hope that they plan authentic British pub snacks, I'm sure you would all enjoy the culinary delights of a pickled egg, bag of salt and vinegar crisps or for the real foodies a bag of mixed nuts! :):)

All served with authentic warm beer. Actually I'm serious about the beer......it shouldn't be cold.

Debbie

British pub with Tapas does sound a strange combination. But 'tapas style' i.e. small dishes immediately brought to mind the concept which is being introduced on Quantum Class. I think it will probably be something like this http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/michaels-genuine-pub/

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of a British-Style pub I also agree that Cellar Masters is a wasted space and can see how something like the link above would work well.

I assume you did not already know, but when Perry performed in Michael's Club most people also were seated on folding chairs.

Well yes but that was/is because of "overflow" crowds. Michael's also has or had many chairs/couches too. Perry is just a big draw. I gather from Host Andy, who is on Eclipse right now, that the "folding chairs" in Cellar Masters for Perry's shows are the predominant seating arrangement because there are not the available seats there that Michael's had. A pub atmosphere I would think would add that type of seating, and then if needed, additional folding seats could be added for shows that required it.

No disrespect intended. But seriously, a company who announces big changes like this, and is unable to properly disseminate factual information to its staff has some issues, be that management's inability to speak to its employees, or its inability to hire staff that can listen to, comprehend and properly disseminate the same information to its customers is doing its customers a disservice.

I have a hard time understanding how staff were told MDR would change come away understanding the Bistro on 5 is going away. These are WAY different concepts and information in 100% conflict with each other and with the published press releases by the company. This the leads to speculation in these threads that leads to a bad impression of X and its corporate policies and lots of phone calls to customer service to confirm or deny these 'rumors' that shouldn't be in effect if employees are properly instructed on the company's future goals and aspirations.

If we can not count on the staff for accuracy, who are we to trust? X needs to train its staff that if they have no FACTUAL PUBLICLY released information then they need to shut their mouths. Sorry to be harsh, but it's the truth, especially within a company that is publicly traded and has to meet regulatory control by the SEC.

Any manager who has staff disseminating improper information is not capable of being a manger and needs replaced. Every company no matter how well run is going to have a rumor mill.

A well-run company will have all of its employees on the same page with company and company cultural standards. For staff to leave a meeting with some of the impression Bistro is closing, and others MDR is changing, is proof of a problem with communication among its staff and employees.

If you have a different feeling on these facts, I welcome a discussion on these matters.

But I can not understand how it's acceptable for this behavior of continued dissemination of inaccurate information to be allowed within a company under SEC regulation.

In theory what you say is acceptable, in reality it boils down to two words, human nature. Every company no matter how well run has their rumor mill.

Edited by dkjretired

In theory what you say is acceptable, in reality it boils down to two words, human nature. Every company no matter how well run has their rumor mill.

They probably are not supposed to be talking to passengers about what they heard in the meeting. I hope they don't get in trouble.

Perfectly put :)

Maybe all those who are in favour should take a cruise from Southampton on P and O first and then see what it has done to the brand, maybe they won't be so keen, I can understand why they are in favour, they are not British and it

Sounds fun, I just hope if Celebrity do make these changes it doesn't go the same way as the British ships

Likely a Celebrity version of a British pub will be an American version of a British pub. A faux British pub. It will be fine if they make the space a pub.

Edited by Charles4515

With 60 total and 30 on draft (draught) there's no reason not to have a variety of beers at various temperatures.

MARK

There is no way they are going to have 30 on draft. It wouldn't be a good thing anyway since you went to run through the kegs once they are opened. I don't think they would have the business to run through that many kegs. What would be nice is if they have some local craft beers on draft from near the home ports on board. Lock drafts taste fresher than beer shipped from far away.

Edited by Charles4515

Likely a Celebrity version of a British pub will be an American version of a British pub. A faux British pub. It will be fine if they make the space a pub.

On our short QM2 cruise to Canada from Redhook, Bklyn, they did try to add American lunch food...never quite got it right....but the effort was definiteky there! We enjoyed lunches there...cooked to order...better than the buffet

Any manager who has staff disseminating improper information is not capable of being a manger and needs replaced.

I agree. If i were Michael Bayley a call to the Hotel Director on the EQ would be in order. There would be some managers who would no longer be managing. I would assume that these associates have more important things to do like managing their departments. Apparently not.

Edited by cruisingator2

Cant see any craft beers available in draught - ships motion in itself would stir up the sediments. Nice thought though.

Many craft beers force carbonate and don't have sediment. Although that is a good point for some craft beers.

One of my favorite books I've read is "From Worst to First" by Gordon Bethune of Continental Airlines. He tells in great detail the challenges of turning Continental Airlines around, in the 80's (or maybe 90's) and his biggest thing was to involve the employees and keep honest and open communication with them making them feel like a part of the transition.

I think we've ALL experienced multiple conflicting answers all over from booking a reservation, to adding perks, to booking specialty restaurants, to status of ongoing program changes.

These conflicting answers lead to missed expectations, lead to unhappy customers. This is not good for business.

Well, ok then. I'm done posting so not as to intrude on anyone's flight of fancy.

See you all----sometime. Btw, I hope no one else spoils anyone's reading here by posting ANY information about X until it comes from the company's president.

Hi Darcie,:) I have always valued your posts and hope you will not be

leaving this forum.

As you mentioned in the first post "take it for what its worth"......

It may happen or it may not.......I know YOU KNOW how a public

message board can be:eek:.....so just remember many of us know you.:)

Please don't be run off by folks who think the thread was not necessary.

Please keep posting! I loved your original comments! Whether or not it all comes to fruition is anybodys guess. I think the majority of folks here enjoyed your post and it makes for interesting conversation.

Edited by jgreenwo17

Many craft beers force carbonate and don't have sediment. Although that is a good point for some craft beers.

Terminolgy may be different for you and me, but, I wouldnt call it a craft beer if a gas is used - I would call that chemical keg ! Now a true cask condition ale.....yum yum, Perhaps a self levelling cellar might do the trick :D

One of my favorite books I've read is "From Worst to First" by Gordon Bethune of Continental Airlines. He tells in great detail the challenges of turning Continental Airlines around, in the 80's (or maybe 90's) and his biggest thing was to involve the employees and keep honest and open communication with them making them feel like a part of the transition.

I think we've ALL experienced multiple conflicting answers all over from booking a reservation, to adding perks, to booking specialty restaurants, to status of ongoing program changes.

These conflicting answers lead to missed expectations, lead to unhappy customers. This is not good for business.

I was a mid-manager in my career and took my share of management courses. Deming's theories were the rage then, and one of the keys to his methods was involving the employees in communication with management.

Management can become isolated from just how a business functions at the ground level, so it is wise to encourage employee involvement.