What would you be willing to pay extra for?

patty1955

More and more people seem to complain about being "nickeled and dimed" on cruises, but the simple fact is that cruise lines need to make money. The easy solution is to raise cruise prices, but that could chase away customers.

Personally, I'd love to have the option to buy a cheap glass of wine with dinner. I don't buy alcohol on cruises because of the inflated prices. I think the cruise lines would find a profit in selling a cheap glass of wine. 4 serving of 2 buck chuck at $2 a glass would result in a huge profit.

I'd also be willing to pay an upcharge to eat in a better dining room. I liked Blu but didn't care for the room and other perks. I don't like specialty restaurants because of the price and the limited menu. There's generally only one or two items on the menu that I'd be willing to pay extra for. I would be willing to pay $10 or $15 a night to eat in Blu.

I'd pay for faster internet. I won't pay for it now, because the slow speed is like watching a taxi meter at a stop light.

What else can you guys think up?

More and more people seem to complain about being "nickeled and dimed" on cruises, but the simple fact is that cruise lines need to make money. The easy solution is to raise cruise prices, but that could chase away customers.

Personally, I'd love to have the option to buy a cheap glass of wine with dinner. I don't buy alcohol on cruises because of the inflated prices. I think the cruise lines would find a profit in selling a cheap glass of wine. 4 serving of 2 buck chuck at $2 a glass would result in a huge profit.

I'd also be willing to pay an upcharge to eat in a better dining room. I liked Blu but didn't care for the room and other perks. I don't like specialty restaurants because of the price and the limited menu. There's generally only one or two items on the menu that I'd be willing to pay extra for. I would be willing to pay $10 or $15 a night to eat in Blu.

I'd pay for faster internet. I won't pay for it now, because the slow speed is like watching a taxi meter at a stop light.

What else can you guys think up?

Celebrity has been doing very well creating new revenue streams. I don't want to give them any more ideas!

Shoot, they already charge $26+ for a bottle of wine you can buy at home for $4.95....

I'd rather pay more for the cruise itself, and not have "specialty" restaurants, etc...at all....just have excellent food in the MDR!

We would pay extra if we were not forced to listen to Miami's choice of music. Please give us one lounge, one dining area where guests could pay for their own choice, a Modern Juke Box, including no music and especially no Miami DJ.

I'd also be willing to pay an upcharge to eat in a better dining room. I liked Blu but didn't care for the room and other perks. I don't like specialty restaurants because of the price and the limited menu.

Good luck with those ideas. Selling a $2 glass of wine would likely backfire in a number of ways. First, I think most people who enjoy wine pay the existing prices, so by offering a super cheap wine Celebrity would bring in LESS revenue. Plus, they'd get a reputation for selling lousy wine and the negative PR that goes with that. As for dining options- same thing. They already have plenty of people who pay $30-45 for a specialty restaurant, so adding an upcharge for a "better dining room" would 1) cut into the existing revenue and 2) create more bad PR from people who would think the regular dining room had gone down in quality to force people to eat in the $15 dining room.

I would gladly pay $10 extra in my fare for the return of better quality beef/food and a return of some of the staff. I might even pay $25 more. But don't nickle and dime me with more pay options....

Shoot, they already charge $26+ for a bottle of wine you can buy at home for $4.95....

I'd rather pay more for the cruise itself, and not have "specialty" restaurants, etc...at all....just have excellent food in the MDR!

I agree. But I don't mined one or two paying venues. We loved the Olympic, Normandie, SS United States on M Class when they first came out. Now they are too expensive and not as good as back then. We have not gone since prices has gone up.

We do love Bistro on 5 and will go a few times per cruise.

We would pay extra if we were not forced to listen to Miami's choice of music. Please give us one lounge, one dining area where guests could pay for their own choice, a Modern Juke Box, including no music and especially no Miami DJ.

Two thumbs up for this.

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. X.

-Marisa

I agree, that it was nice to know (or at least think) that you were always getting the best it the past. Now, not so fast.............

We would gladly pay extra to avoid the flights and the other expenses that go along with Florida departures.

Being within 3 1/2 hours by car of Cape Liberty, or even 6 hours to Baltimore, an extra few days at sea on a 12 night cruise to the Caribbean (especially Jan---Mar.) would be perfect, even if they only planned one or two a season during repositioning schedules.

A few hours in the car getting to the ports mentioned would be, for us at least, less time than what we usually spend in airports.

No airline fees

No worries about missed flights

No baggage weight or other limits

No hotel expenses for flying down a day or two ahead

More room and less trouble bringing back duty free beverages :)

We'd be willing to spend those added expenses on the cruise as well as onboard during the extra sea days.

I know my idea is best suited to those within a 3-6 hour location to either NJ or Md. but the population within the area served by Cape Liberty or Baltimore may very well go towards filling a few sailings to capacity.

As to the season and the few days of cold weather leaving and returning, not a problem for us. We always cruise during that time period and don't mind a slow change from cold to hot and back.

Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but just an idea for Celebrity to think about.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans
correction

A guaranteed plush lounge chair in general vicinity of pool. Sign me up at 10 bucks a day per chair (140 week for 2). Actually, I would pay more.

Put a number on each chair and the renter gets a matching number sticker for their chair -instant revenue. You pay upfront and get to select

your location. If you cancel your cruise no refund. Additional incentive for early booking.

I would pay more for the cruise for increase in staff......and I know some will not like this but I would pay for reserved seating around the pool....no more pool hogs......We have paid for Alcoves and would pay for something closer to the pool

I would pay an extra .25 cents for 30 minutes on a Magic Fingers bed machine in my room. They could also put meters on the room TV's and charge for usage. Perhaps an upcharge for reserved seating at the show in the evening.

We could give them all sorts of crazy ideas to raise revenue.

We would gladly pay extra to avoid the flights and the other expenses that go along with Florida departures.

bosco

You're preaching to the choir. Flying from California limits which cruises we can take since the travel days, hotel stay, etc. are longer than some cruises. Add to that the fact that Celebrity if basically abandoning the west coast with the departure of Century and we're very limited.

I prefer to keep the cruise price down and pay for any extras. With that said It don't think the wine or cocktail prices are any more inflated than a restaurant or bar at home. Granted I live in New York on Long Island so the prices here may be more expensive than in other parts of the country so it's not shocking to me. I think the restaurants on Celebrity are all over priced considering that you are paying for a meal in the cruise fare that you won't be eating that night. I would be willing to pay $25 to $30 extra pp just for a change or for a special occasion, otherwise the MDR is just fine with me.

I must be in the minority. I have been cruising since Noah's ark was refit as a transatlantic barge for paying passengers. I don't get my granny panties all in a wad over the silly things that many of you do.

We now can cruise for far less than we could just a decade ago. Prices are lower now, even without inflation being factored in. I can take a cruise on a beautiful, comfortable ship to more destinations that ever before, eat well in several dining venues, including the MDR and the buffet, enjoy a variety of entertainment all around the ship, enjoy cooling off in the pool or reading a book nearby, and relax in my nicely appointed stateroom, all for the base fare. I would never go hungry, never get bored, and have a great time. All at no extra cost. Just like it always has been.

But, if I CHOOSE to splurge on drinks, I can go to a bar or lounge and have as many as I want. If I CHOOSE to dine in a quiet dining room for a change, with made to order food, I can do so by paying a few extra dollars for the privilege. If I CHOOSE to get a spa treatment to attempt to beat the aging process, I can purchase as many treatments as I want.

Nothing has changed other than having many more choices than we used to have. And all at a base fare that is well below what it used to be in the "good old days".

I am convinced that most people are greedy. They want everything for nothing. They want top quality, but aren't willing to pay for it. They want, want, want, and then complain when don't get the luxuries that they refuse to pay for because they prefer to pay less for a cruise.

Too bad they are so blinded by greed that they can't see how good they really have it. :rolleyes:

Edited by swsfrail