2015 Prices thru the roof !!!

TommyD3

I just received an email advertising the 2015 South America itineraries. I clicked on the hyperlink to see the prices.

Several years ago we spent 6 weeks doing Antarctica, the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise and the return home through the Panama canal. We originally planned doing the same thing this year (Feb / March) but were put off by the 2X price increase for Antarctica. The other segments were essentially the same price as several years ago.

Well for 2015 the prices have skyrocketed !!!

Antarctica is an extra $1000 - $1850 per person (over this year) for Concierge.

The BA to V cruise is 3900% the price of this year (Concierge).

The PC cruise is 3200% the price of this year (Concierge).

My price comparison is based on the prices months before final payment. All of these cruises this year dropped significantly several weeks before the sailing (Tuesday Specials).

This is crazy:mad:

Why would prices triple from one year to the next?

I just received an email advertising the 2015 South America itineraries. I clicked on the hyperlink to see the prices.

Several years ago we spent 6 weeks doing Antarctica, the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise and the return home through the Panama canal. We originally planned doing the same thing this year (Feb / March) but were put off by the 2X price increase for Antarctica. The other segments were essentially the same price as several years ago.

My price comparison is based on the prices months before final payment. All of these cruises this year dropped significantly several weeks before the sailing (Tuesday Specials).

that's a simple one....because Celebrity thinks they can sell cabins at those prices. If they can....terrific for the stockholders, if they can't it might be terrific for those that wait until after final payment :)

Because of the Great Recession combined with lots of new ships coming on line, cruise prices have held steady for a long time while inflation has raised costs in most areas. Now that the economy is back on track, the cruise lines have to raise prices to remain viable. BUT if it doesn't work, prepare for major sales as the cruises get closer...

We have found the same thing. I am a pretty solid Celebrity loyalist, and have brought almost everyone I know over to cruising with Celebrity, just with my enthusiasm for the product. We have loved, loved, loved our Celebrity cruises, but I had to book with Royal Caribbean for our Baltic trip next year. The Celebrity price was crazy, compared to the Royal Caribbean price.

We do not cruise on price, we cruise on value. Taking all things into consideration, up until now, Celebrity has always been where the best value has been for us. I am truly sad to see this change.

Wow! That is absolutely shocking. If that cruise this year was $1,000 pp, that means the 2015 cruises are now $39,000 pp (3900% of 1000 = 39,000). An amazing price increase indeed!

And this cruise is now $32,000 pp (3200% of 1000 = 32,000)!!!

Looks like I will NOT be able to afford one of these cruises next year. Maybe it's time to move over to Carnival!

Edited by boogs

It seems that the prices are getting out of my league. I will have to back to Royal after my 2014 and 2015 cruises that I have booked or wait for a last minute price drop. I've enjoyed the product, but it seems that I will be getting less for more money.

Sorry my percentages were off by a factor of 10.

The numbers should be 390% & 320%.

Each of these sailings is between $4749 and $7799 per person for 14 nights in Concierge.

That's over $500 per person per day at the high end - that's suite territory to me!

Still more than 3X the price of this year is crazy !!!

Edited by TommyD3

We have found the same thing. I am a pretty solid Celebrity loyalist, and have brought almost everyone I know over to cruising with Celebrity, just with my enthusiasm for the product. We have loved, loved, loved our Celebrity cruises, but I had to book with Royal Caribbean for our Baltic trip next year. The Celebrity price was crazy, compared to the Royal Caribbean price.

We do not cruise on price, we cruise on value. Taking all things into consideration, up until now, Celebrity has always been where the best value has been for us. I am truly sad to see this change.

Sounds like a good decision if the Celebrity price was too high. That cruise is so port intensive, you will not be spending much time on the ship.

We did the Westbound Panama Canal trip in March 2009 and the prices we finally paid after a series of price drops was $2,499 pp for a C2 stateroom. Prices for the comparable cruise in 2015, which is in April that year, is $3,099 pp almost a year in advance, with no price drops occurring this early. A $300 OBC is included, making that 2015 cruise actually $2,949 prior to any possible price drops in the next 11 months. That makes the cruise only $450 more pp at the moment. Not quite 3,200%! In fact, that is only a 15% increase, half of which is attributable to inflation! A far cry from a 3,200% increase, don't you think?? :confused:

Please don't get the inmates all excited! :D

Sorry my percentages were off by a factor of 10.

The numbers should be 390% & 320%.

Each of these sailings is between $4749 and $7799 per person for 14 nights in Concierge.

That's over $500 per person per day at the high end - that's suite territory to me!

Still more than 3X the price of this year is crazy !!!

The Panama Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso on April 28, 2015 published on the website - a 14 night cruise - is from $3,049 for C3 Concierge stateroom to $3,499 for a C1, which is only 15% more than it was in 2009. A lot less than the figures you are posting.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/booking/getGuestCountReservationStep1.do?cabincls=C&sailDate=1150428&br=C&packageCode=IN17C006&destCode=T.PAN&shipCode=IN&source_page=search&embarcationPortCode=FLL&returnQuery=%23&fareCode=BESTRATE&selectedFareCode=A3014561

Edited by fortinweb

A Panama Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso on April 28, 2015 is from $3,049 for C3 Concierge stateroom to $3,499 for a C1, which is only 15% more than it was in 2009. Not the figures you are posting.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/booking/getGuestCountReservationStep1.do?cabincls=C&sailDate=1150428&br=C&packageCode=IN17C006&destCode=T.PAN&shipCode=IN&source_page=search&embarcationPortCode=FLL&returnQuery=%23&fareCode=BESTRATE&selectedFareCode=A3014561

Look at the Celebrity web site for the Infinity 3/1/2015 Buenos Aires-Valparaiso Cruise (Concierge is $7799 pp) and 3/15/2015 South America & Canal Cruise (Concierge is 6399 pp). Both of these were about $2000 pp for Concierge this year (even less as Tuesday Specials).

Edited by TommyD3

Look at the Celebrity web site for the Infinity 3/1/2015 Buenos Aires-Valparaiso Cruise (Concierge is $7799 pp) and 3/15/2015 South America & Canal Cruise (Concierge is 6399 pp).

OK, you got me on that one. That is the comparable cruise to our 2009 trip. You are correct - that is a big price increase. It almost seems as if someone typed in the total price for a stateroom with double occupancy, instead of per person. As a stateroom price for two people, it would be about right.

Hopefully it's just a dumb mistake instead of an actual trend.

I would bet it's a mistake, based on the much lower price for the same cruise in April.

EDITED: I just pulled up the link I included in my post above and the price has jumped to double the price I saw just a few minutes ago. I don't think it's my eyes going nuts. It must be a screw up with the website.

ANOTHER EDIT: I tried fake booking that April 28 cruise again and it's back to $3,049pp. What the hell?

I GIVE UP!!!!!

Edited by fortinweb

After the introduction of the 123 promotion prices began to go up.

Also, as the economy has improved prices have gone up. Wasn't there something recently on here where Adam Goldstein commented on prices rising to pre-recession levels?

Edited by Oville

I have a theory, totally unproven, that Celebrity are experimenting with different pricing strategies for the 2015/16 season. We are watching various Carribean cruises in preparation for possibly booking them in the 2016/17 season. By chance, one cruise seems low priced, another about what I would have expected and a thrid really high price - all compared to previous years. Strangely, the higher priced cruises seem to be selling better!

NB These are UK sterling price comparisons. Now that CelebrityCruises.com produces an error if bookings are accessed from Europe, I cannot force the system to show me prices in US dollars.

We booked those cruises BsAs-Valparaiso-FLL almost two years out at "normal" prices since the 2014 cabin selection was very limited and then watched the prices increase. For a while the second leg was sold out except for some suites and insides. That's when the pricing went out of sight. We are still almost six months from final payment so I would expect a dip after that date. Obviously it is a very popular cruise.

We are booked on the 2/1/15 Infinity. The price for our CC room has gone up $2000 per person since we booked. And I thought it was a splurge when we booked!

We are on the Chile to Florida on March 15th. We were able to book at a reasonable price but have noticed that the cost per cabin has pretty much doubled. I was hoping to upgrade to Concierge Class from Veranda but it appears that I should stay right where I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

It seems that the prices are getting out of my league. I will have to back to Royal after my 2014 and 2015 cruises that I have booked or wait for a last minute price drop. I've enjoyed the product, but it seems that I will be getting less for more money.

Just checked Royal's pricing for Feb 2015- their 7 night in a D2 balcony is $2450 so not much different than Celebrity.

Just checked Royal's pricing for Feb 2015- their 7 night in a D2 balcony is $2450 so not much different than Celebrity.

It looks like I will just do one bucket list cruise every other year and keep sailing on Celebrity. I have to have at least a balcony.

No question in my mind that Celebrity is attempting to appeal to a higher disposable income cruiser. That's why I have predicted in other threads that their next new build will be a M size ship, or smaller with more Suites. They appear to be developing itineraries that would make that type of ship desirable. They appear to be starting prices for popular cruises at a significant higher per day price. If they sell, great. If there is resistance they can always lower prices or offer "special" promotions. I would expect them to move ships from the Caribbean to China or other potentially profitable destinations. There are still some bargains out there. Just need to search a bit harder to find them.

No question in my mind that Celebrity is attempting to appeal to a higher disposable income cruiser. That's why I have predicted in other threads that their next new build will be a M size ship, or smaller with more Suites. They appear to be developing itineraries that would make that type of ship desirable. They appear to be starting prices for popular cruises at a significant higher per day price. If they sell, great. If there is resistance they can always lower prices or offer "special" promotions. I would expect them to move ships from the Caribbean to China or other potentially profitable destinations. There are still some bargains out there. Just need to search a bit harder to find them.

We heard from the Staff Captain on Silhouette who was hosting the Captain's table on our last cruise in March, that X is going to build two new ships that will be the size of the Solstice class, but with a different interior design. He also said that delivery of the first ship could be in 2017, and kept repeating that he expected X to make an announcement very soon. New ships cost money, so it is no wonder that prices are going up...